东方红 (The East is Red)

Sir Chaos

Banned
Preposterous.

Utterly preposterous.

What a complex and well-thought-out argument. I absolutely cannot help but be convinced by this sort of logically cogent reasoning.

Seriously... I get that you like Rosa Parks and don´t like what YLi does to her fictional counterpart in this completely fictional work of alternate history fiction - but then ******* read this timeline if you don´t like what´s happening here. Threatening the writers of timelines you don´t like with kicking them - THAT, and only that, is beyond the pale in this thread.

Don't justify child murder. That trail only leads to Coventry.

Was not specifically justifying child murder in any way, was justifying his right to interpret historical events and butterflies as he see's fit based on his own creation of alternative (if not especially plausible) historical conditions. Don't put words in my mouth or dumb down my argument just for the sake of meeting yours.

I can't deny his free speech as I am not the Government of the UNITED STATES.

What his most recent posts was, and is, is flat out trolling. That was what the action was for, trolling. Could have been for flame baiting, but I went with trolling. This Board does have standards, they may not be much, but they exist. One reason they exist is to prevent things from becoming flame wars. I have had to come into this thread several times and put out fires. I just did it again.

He took an historical figure, an actual person who is revered (to the point that she is being serious put forth to be placed on U.S. currency), who is an icon of passive resistance and turned her into not just a murderer, but a killer of children for shits and giggles (or maybe because he was able to find a picture). My earlier comparison was completely valid, for an encore will he have Anne Frank running a death camp?

If he did, and he was jacked up for flame-baiting would it be the right or wrong thing to do?

Wasn't LITERALLY saying you're impeding his constitution sponsored right to free speech, but as a moderator of this website you not only hold authority for what's allowed to be said, but your words also carry a sort of stigmatized weight, whether you realize it or not. People are going to react a certain way when you say something, especially as a mod. Yes, it's a silly timeline that is borderline ASBish, but its his interpretation of events as he see's them, and its his creative right to interpret the objective butterflies and conditions of his own creation as he sees fit. Maybe he does do the TL in order to be a bit funny and ironic, but simply stating its for "shits and giggles" completely disregards the fact that he's created a personalized piece of creative writing that he's allowed to make progress as he likes and create the subjective butterflies for of his own free volition.

Also don't know how valid that comparison really is. He didn't change her beliefs or ideological demands so much as the tactics and methods she went about to achieve them, changed by the objective conditions (created by his own butterflies) to meet them. Historical instances of non-violent resistance could easily have played out in a violent manner historically based on small changes in historical actions that would've produced different historical conditions, be it India, Apartheid SA, or the Jim Crow South.

His argument for that being much more like Rosa Parks being a White Supremacist is way more in line, and would actually be ASB, as those conditions are objectively impossible, just like Ann Frank, a jew, joining the Nazi's would be and guarding a concentration camp would be. Now a surviving Ann Frank murdering former Nazi's and their surviving relatives would be a much more apt comparison, and actually historically plausible given different circumstances, especially if you take into account the horrors which she was subjected to, which could very well be amplified if the historical conditions were altered, leading to her having altered behavioral patterns and future actions.

Last edited:
In order to end the controversy that has ensued in this thread, I have decided to retroactively edit George Wallace's death to Rosa Parks shooting him in the face. This is also much less implausible since the real Wallace did attract his fair share of bullets.

This is because Parks is going to show up again in the timeline and I don't want whatever bullshit happened in this thread to rear its ugly head a second time around.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
In order to end the controversy that has ensued in this thread, I have decided to retroactively edit George Wallace's death to Rosa Parks shooting him in the face. This is also much less implausible since the real Wallace did attract his fair share of bullets.

This is because Parks is going to show up again in the timeline and I don't want whatever bullshit happened in this thread to rear its ugly head a second time around.

Thank you. Still vasnishingly unlikely, but compared to her poisoning children...

Hey, if there ever was a lead magnet, I reckon it would be Wallace. I'm just glad he didn't pass his dipoles on to his kids (here, anyway).

Last edited:

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
What a complex and well-thought-out argument. I absolutely cannot help but be convinced by this sort of logically cogent reasoning.

Seriously... I get that you like Rosa Parks and don´t like what YLi does to her fictional counterpart in this completely fictional work of alternate history fiction - but then ******* read this timeline if you don´t like what´s happening here. Threatening the writers of timelines you don´t like with kicking them - THAT, and only that, is beyond the pale in this thread.

I came in here based on a report.

That is how Mods generally arrive in T/L that they have no other participation in except Modding.

Don't really care about the T/L one way or the other.

TFSmith121

Banned
No, it was more the murdering four children bit...

Frankly, reading your post, you sound like you seriously need to get a grip. Killing a segregationist makes a person a genocidal maniac?

No, it was more the "Rosa Parks murders the four children and two adults in cold blood" bit... along with all the other "creative" turns the author has come up with...

Which, from a legal point of view, since everyone whose reputation is being attacked is dead (and how brave of the author to be so careful about that!:rolleyes:That's speaking truth to power!), the author can do it, but what is legal and what is decent (civil? thoughtful? dare I say it, historical?) presumably should not be seen as necessarily different things ... just because one can do something, doesn't necessarily mean one should do it, true? Even for "entertainment" purposes... and in a fantasy universe.

Again, the "have you no decency" standard is overused, but it certainly comes to mind when it comes to some things...

I mean, if one really wants to create a cartoon or a fantasy, one can come up with all sorts of expys and the like, and call it out as ASB, and set it a long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away, rather than naming actual historical individuals, and not expecting such a practice to attract some attention.

However, that is up to Ian and his chosen mods, including Calbear (Fiat Lux); sincerely, thanks to all for their thoughtful and civil work in keeping this an attractive place to visit.

Best,

To answer your question; No, I don't have any decency and I quite frankly don't give a fuck that I've offended you or your sensibilities. If anything, I hope to do so again.

CalBear: I'm glad to know this timeline got a rise out of someone.

Oh, one other thing: Living people will eventually start to appear in the timeline (and have already, in the case of Claudette Colvin, Ben Nighthorse Campbell, Paul Robeson Jr. and quite a few others). I should warn all of the sensitive souls on this forum beforehand, so as not to rustle their jimmies.

I came in here based on a report.

That is how Mods generally arrive in T/L that they have no other participation in except Modding.

Don't really care about the T/L one way or the other.

I should make it clear that I changed the story based on a conversation I had with Tom Colton, not because you threatened me with a kick.

I'm going to be honest, I bailed out of reading this TL shortly after the end of the Korean War because I could tell it was going to 'edgy grimdark dystopia land' (which is the most boring possible place any TL can go), and after clicking on this out of boredom, it's surprising how far you went. Seriously dude? Like 14 years after your POD you have Rosa Parks poisoning a bunch of kids? 2edgy4me (and a whole lot of the forum, by the looks of it)

I'm going to be honest, I bailed out of reading this TL shortly after the end of the Korean War because I could tell it was going to 'edgy grimdark dystopia land' (which is the most boring possible place any TL can go), and after clicking on this out of boredom, it's surprising how far you went. Seriously dude? Like 14 years after your POD you have Rosa Parks poisoning a bunch of kids? 2edgy4me (and a whole lot of the forum, by the looks of it)

I suppose this timeline is 3edgy5u.

Also, things are only going south in the US and Western Europe but I suppose the rest of the world doesn't count. :D

For the record, any and all advice I have given was for YLi to follow if he wished to continue presenting this work to this audience.

For those with any interest in continuing to write or read this, let's just hope that this has been instructive in ensuring that the way the world depicted here barrels towards Armageddon is one that doesn't lead to it being locked due to egregious offense.

I may not agree with having Rosa parks kill children. But I am otherwise enjoying this tl. It is an absurdist descent, but fine none the less. I do however find issue with this almost being a kick, when certain what its that get posted in this subforum.

I may not agree with having Rosa parks kill children. But I am otherwise enjoying this tl. It is an absurdist descent, but fine none the less. I do however find issue with this almost being a kick, when certain what its that get posted in this subforum.

I mean, I'm right and I'm not about to hold back from anything in future updates. It's absolutely absurd that CalBear thinks this is a kickable offense.

Which, from a legal point of view, since everyone whose reputation is being attacked is dead (and how brave of the author to be so careful about that!:rolleyes:That's speaking truth to power!), the author can do it, but what is legal and what is decent (civil? thoughtful? dare I say it, historical?) presumably should not be seen as necessarily different things ... just because one can do something, doesn't necessarily mean one should do it, true? Even for "entertainment" purposes... and in a fantasy universe.

Again, the "have you no decency" standard is overused, but it certainly comes to mind when it comes to some things...

This is a forum where many tales that are nothing but apologism for European Imperialism. While certainly not stated in such tales, historically many children were murdered directly from this process. Yet in an absurditst story that has someone poison several children, the world is on fire. Next I see a thread that is congratulating the concept of the British ruling China, American domination of Mexico/any Hispanophone Nation I hope you'll be there saying no one has any decency for supporting a process that murders children.

Really, this is a silly story that is meant to entertain.

I suppose the question is, would we be freaking out if it was another black woman?

I doubt it, Rosa Parks' image is held sacrosanct by forum administration. I'm opposed to holding *anyone's* image sacrosanct.