“The Well-Amused Audience”- A Gore 2000 TL

Chapter 0
“The Well-Amused Audience”- A Gore 2000 TL
by MildredSimms

Chapter 0- We Need to Remake America

When looking back at the 2000 election, historians often cite Al Gore’s decision to have President Bill Clinton hit the campaign trail hard as a critical factor for his success in the election. Although Gore himself would later state in interviews that he had been reluctant about the choice, he had been convinced by his campaign staff. It was not a decision he would regret. Governor of Texas and Republican candidate George W. Bush had what many would call a less than optimal performance in the debates. The cherry on top was when he expressed a desire to drastically cut benefits from the Social Security program or even remove it entirely in order to save money on the federal budget. In spite of that, the polls continued to predict a relatively close election, until a few days prior to the election, it was revealed that George Bush had pleaded guilty to a DUI in 1986. Along with Bush’s seeming inability to say anything about the DUI (he instead had a campaign spokeswoman speak for him) and Gore’s strengthened attacks on Bush’s poor judgment and lack of experience, the Gore campaign readied themselves for a victory. They were not ready, however, for just how victorious they would be. Al Gore would be easily elected as the 43rd president of the United States and Governor Bush would concede the election early the next morning. The Democrats would also get a majority in the Senate and greatly reduce the Republican majority in the House of Representatives, picking up five seats in each. On January 20, 2001, Albert Arnold Gore Jr. would take the oath of office and be sworn in as President of the United States. A sense of optimism filled the hearts of the American people, confident that the prosperity of the ’90s would continue on, this time without any Bill Clinton sex scandals.
algore.jpg

Al Gore takes the oath of office as President of the United States

So I decided to try my hand at writing a TL. I'm pretty excited. Any constructive criticism is very welcome. Thanks so much for reading!

So I decided to try my hand at writing a TL. I'm pretty excited. Any constructive criticism is very welcome. Thanks so much for reading!
DUI have to be the tamest october surprise, still a misstep and bush would have failed, as long this not degenerate a fake usawank utopia like others, i would say have potential.

Thanks! I have the years up to 08 roughly planned out already. Anybody got any ideas for Gore cabinet picks? Stuff like that isn't exactly my strong suit.

Maybe try having Gore pick Evan Bayh for VP, Paul Wolfowitz for SecDef (as Gore was something of a hawk on Iran), Richard Holbrooke (the previous UN ambassador) for SoS, Edward Montgomery (Clinton’s deputy secretary of labor, who was also a well-respected economist) for Secretary of the Treasury, and not technically part of the Cabinet but positions that may be important:
UN Ambassador: Martin Indyk (former assistant SoS for Near Eastern Affairs and ambassador to Israel)
Assistant to President for National Security Affairs: General John Shalikashvili (former Supreme Allied Commander Europe and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff)
CIA Director: former deputy director/acting director Bill Studeman

Maybe try having Gore pick Evan Bayh for VP, Paul Wolfowitz for SecDef (as Gore was something of a hawk on Iran), Richard Holbrooke (the previous UN ambassador) for SoS, Edward Montgomery (Clinton’s deputy secretary of labor, who was also a well-respected economist) for Secretary of the Treasury, and not technically part of the Cabinet but positions that may be important:
UN Ambassador: Martin Indyk (former assistant SoS for Near Eastern Affairs and ambassador to Israel)
Assistant to President for National Security Affairs: General John Shalikashvili (former Supreme Allied Commander Europe and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff)
CIA Director: former deputy director/acting director Bill Studeman
Thanks for the suggestions!

My opinion on Al Gore Cabinet, that I was writing for a my own TL:

43° President : Al Gore (D-Tennessee)

46° Vicepresident: Joe Lieberman (D-Massachusetts)

Secretary of State: Richard Hollbroke (D)

Secretary of Treasury: Lawrence Summers (D)

Secretary of Defense: Sam Nunn (D-Georgia)

Attorney General: Eric Holder (D)

Secretary of Interior: Richard Hudson Bryan (D-Nevada)

Secretary of Agricolture: Charles Walter Stenholm (D-Texas)

Secretary of Commerce: Thomas Joseph Downey (D-New York)

Secretary of Labor: Alexis Herman (D)

Secretary of Health and Human Services: Nancy-Ann Min DeParle (D)

Secretary of House and Urban Development: Kurt Schmoke (D-Maryland)

Secretary of Trasportation: Norman Mineta (D)

Secretary of Energy: Bruce Reed (D)

Secretary of Education: James B. Hunt Jr (D-North Carolina)

Secretary of Veterans Affairs: Nicky Daniel “Nick” Bacon (Joseph Robert “Bob” Kerrey, D-Nebraska, nominated but then withdrawn due Vietnam controversy)

US Ambassador to United Nations: William Warren Bradley (D-New Jersey)

Director of FEMA: James Lee Witt (D)

Director of Central Intelligence Agency (CIA): George John Tenet

Director of Office of National Drug Control Policy: Barry McCaffrey

Chief Staff: William Michael Daley (D-Illinois)

US Rapresentative for Trade: Charlene Barshefsky (D)

Director of Office of Management and Budget: Robert Danton Reischauer

Director of EPA: Katlheen Alana “Katie” McGinty (D)

Director of Small Business Administration: Jacob Lew (D)

Others (not in the Cabinet, at least not in 2000):

Director of Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI): Daniel K. Webb (R)

Director of Federal Commission for Communications: William Kennard (D), m, b, 43 anni

President of the Council of Economic Advisors: Janet Yellen (D)

President of Federal Reserve: Alan Greenspan (R)

Spokesman of White House: Christopher Stephen Lehane

Chapter 1
Chapter 1- Naturally an Optimist

The Al Gore Cabinet
President Al Gore D-TN
Vice President Bob Graham D-FL
Secretary of State Richard Holbrooke D-NY

Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz R-NY
Secretary of Treasury Lawrence Summers D-CT
Attorney General Eric Holder D-NY
Secretary of Interior Richard H. Bryan D-NV
Secretary of Health and Human Services Nancy-Ann Min DeParle D-OH
Secretary of Commerce Gene B. Sperling D-MI
Secretary of Agriculture Charles W. Stenholm D-TX
Secretary of Labor Linda Chavez-Thompson D-TX
Secretary of Education James B. Hunt, Jr. D-NC
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Kurt L. Schmoke D-MD
Secretary of Transportation Norman Mineta D-CA
Secretary of Energy Bruce Reed D-ID

Secretary of Veterans’ Affairs Nick Bacon R-AR
Office of Management and Budget Director Elaine C. Kamarck D
Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Bobby Kennedy, Jr. D-MA
US Ambassador to United Nations: William Warren Bradley D-NJ
Director of FEMA: James Lee Witt D-AR
Director of Central Intelligence Agency (CIA): George John Tenet D-NY
Director of Office of National Drug Control Policy: Barry McCaffrey D-MA
Chief Staff: William Michael Daley D-IL
US Representative for Trade: Charlene Barshefsky D-IL

2001 had begun, and all was well in the United States of America. Now-President Al Gore was indeed enjoying a honeymoon period. All of his Cabinet appointments were approved by Congress without a hitch, and a bill to set a lockbox on Social Security funds and raise payroll taxes to help fund the program was making its way through the Senate. The bill was very bipartisan and likely to pass both chambers relatively easily, although some Republicans were expressing concern over the tax increase. President Gore also pushed Senate Democrats to repeal the Byrd-Hagel Resolution so that the United States could ratify the Kyoto Protocol. After a closely contested vote, the Byrd-Hagel Resolution would be repealed 51-50 in March, with Vice President Bob Graham providing the tiebreaker vote. The Lockbox Bill, as it had come to be known, passed relatively easier, with a final vote of 66-34 in May. Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert also announced his support for the Lockbox Bill. The final vote would come out to be 276-159 in favor of ratification. Al Gore would happily sign the bill into law, saying, “This will be a great thing for America and I’m proud of the men in Congress for working together to get this done.” There would be a small market dip which obviously came with the tax increase, but things were looking good. President Gore would also see the Kyoto Protocol put into effect in a Senate vote almost as narrow as the one to repeal the Byrd-Hagel Resolution, with a final vote of 55-45, completely along party lines. Meanwhile, George Ryan, the Republican Governor of Illinois, would gain popularity [1] for his pet project infrastructure programs and harsh attacks on the Gore administration, including over its tax increases and the failure of the Kyoto Protocols to mandate reductions for all countries. Governor Ryan would say that the American people have an “instinct for centrism” and that President Gore was too left-wing to accurately work towards the fulfillment of the American people’s interests. Although this line of attack ignored the fact that Gore was actually quite moderate, it stuck with a lot of people and Ryan would see his approval rating shoot up. When asked if he was planning for a Presidential campaign in 2004, Ryan would reply, “I wouldn’t take anything off the table yet. The Republican Party may end up wanting someone a little more to the right than me, and I respect that, but I think it’s definitely a possibility that I go for it. And you know, I think I’d do a hell of a good job, too.” By all reports, Gore was becoming more and more worried about the stock markets towards the end of the summer of ‘01 as they continued to gradually dip. Many were starting to predict a full-blown recession could take place if the Gore administration failed to rectify the problems, and people were beginning to notice. Pollsters had already begun to predict that the 2002 midterms would result in heavy losses for the Democrats, but Gore decided to ignore that and focus on doing everything in his power to get the economy back in shape.
presidentgorewelcomesbush.jpeg

President Al Gore poses for a photo with his former opponent Governor George W. Bush during a meeting of the US Governors at the White House
[1]-This timeline uses 2 POD's. The first involves Bush's election performance. The second is George Ryan doesn't get caught up in the license plate scandal while he's governor

Last edited:
Chapter 2

The Al Gore presidency, it seemed, would go down as little more than a footnote in history, notable only for the slight recession. Unfortunately, for Gore, history had other plans. On September 11, 2001, early in the morning, Islamic terrorists affiliated with the organization Al-Qaeda would hijack four planes. At 8:30 a.m., the first plane, loaded with 20,000 gallons of jet fuel, would crash into the south tower of the World Trade Center in New York City. 16 minutes after the first plane hit, a second plane would collide with the north tower. The third plane would crash into the Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia, sending the Department of Defense into a panic. The fourth and final plane, United Airlines Flight 93, would make contact with the North Anna Nuclear Generating Station in central Virginia in what is often cited as the most prolific terrorist attack in the history of the world. The resulting explosion would create a cloud of nuclear debris unlike anything anyone in the area had ever seen. There were reports of clouds of waste as far away as Charlotte, North Carolina, a five-hour drive away. The city of Richmond as well as other nearby areas were evacuated as soon as news of the impact broke. The other three attacks had shaken America to its core, but the fourth attack had knocked the breath out of the nation. President Al Gore was in Chicago, Illinois reading to a class of schoolchildren when news of the attacks was given to him. According to reports, Gore paused for a moment, caught his breath, excused himself, and left the school, making his way to Air Force One as quickly as possible. As soon as Gore was on the plane and away from any children, the President of the United States began to sob deeply. He would address the assembled members of Congress later that day, calling September 11 a “second day that will live in infamy.” Gore would demand the Taliban government extradite key members of the Al-Qaeda organization including their leader Osama Bin-Laden to the United States to be put on trial for crimes against humanity. The Taliban, sensing that even they could not excuse the attacks Al-Qaeda had committed, agreed. When Taliban forces went to take the terrorist leaders into captivity, they were found to be missing but were soon located in the Islamic Republic of Iran. When Gore demanded that Iran extradite Bin-Laden and other Al-Qaeda members, they refused. This would lead Gore to the defining moment of his presidency, when on December 1, 2001, he appeared before Congress to request a declaration of war against Iran to capture Bin-Laden and other terrorists.
goreadressesthenation.jpg

Al Gore addresses the nation from the Oval Office shortly after returning from his address to Congress​

Last edited:
Chapter 3
Chapter 3- An Image of Strength and Courage​

Gore’s declaration of war would pass unanimously in both chambers of Congress. Congress would also pass a resolution temporarily moving the U.S. government to Philadelphia until Washington could be declared to be safe from radiation. Other NATO allies including the United Kingdom but excluding France would join the war. On January 1, 2002, the U.S. government would officially complete its move to Philadelphia, with Congress Hall being used as the meeting place of Congress and the President moving into the Baker Building. Meanwhile, the first U.S. troops would deploy for Iran, with the invasion mainly taking place through Pakistan. The first fighting would take place near Sistak, Iran, and result in massive casualties for U.S. coalition forces. Recent enlistee Greg Jackson would later be quoted as saying “I lost a lot of friends that day in Sistak. That was definitely the experience that made me what I am today. In some ways, that might have been for the better in the long run.” Coalition forces would encounter several more defeats albeit less severe until finally winning a battle and seizing the city of Zahedan on January 25, 2002. After the victory and several more resulting in nearly full coalition control of the province of Balochistan under the leadership of General Stanley McChrystal. On February 16, 2002, Saddam Hussein of Iraq would announce his nation would be entering the war against Iran with the stated intention of seizing Arab majority territories. With the new threat, Iranian military leadership was wondering how much longer they could hold out for, and some were even beginning to plot against Khomeini. Back at home, Al Gore’s approval rating had shot up, and his critics were mostly silent. Some people had expressed dismay at the early outcomes of the war but were mostly silent now that victory was looking to be in the grasps of the Coalition. Early in the morning on August 27, 2002, with most of southern Iran occupied by Coalition forces and almost all Arab territories under Iraqi control, the plotters gave the go-ahead and a military coup under the leadership of Major General Hassan Firouzabadi. At 12:37 pm, Ayatollah Khomeini was announced dead, and the new Iranian junta entered talks with the United States government to extradite Bin-Laden and other members of Al-Qaeda. Peace talks were also held in Bern, and Firouzabadi agreed to hold free elections, starting on January 1, 2003, cede Khuzestan to Iraq, and allow Coalition forces an occupation zone in the Persian Gulf territories. After returning from these peace talks, President Gore would go home to address the nation and announce victory. Although there were still some insurgent forces fighting in Iran, and Osama Bin-Laden remained at large, there was a general sense of optimism, not least in the Gore administration. President Gore’s approval rating was hovering at a solid 83%, and it didn’t seem to be in danger of falling anytime soon. In Iran, anti-Revolution parties such as the Constitutionalist Party returned and courted favor with citizens in anticipation of the coming election. Reza Pahlavi would also return to Iran and announce his candidacy for President of Iran under the Constitutionalist Party, with support from the National Council of Iran. Other candidates included Hassan Rouhani of the Moderation and Development Party, Hossein Moghaddam of the Green Party, Mohammed-Nabi Habibi of the Islamic Coalition Party, Mostafa Kavakebian of the Democracy Party, Mohammed Omidvar of the Tudeh Party, and Zahra Gholamipour of the Pan-Iranian Party. It seemed to the world that the Democratic Pary was staying true to principles that they had held since the days of Woodrow Wilson, and making the world safe for democracy.

just a suggestion, but perhaps try to break the text up in paragrapghs? a bit daunting to read as it is right now