“The Left and Right Eyes of India” -TL

Could you elaborate more? I am a bit confused.
Decolonization in Africa was a mess because Europeans had to account for the various ethnicities living in their territories. They botched it up, causing many of the problems African nations still face to this day. India, a multi-faith, multi-ethnic former colony would provide the "Model" for a successful decolonization.

African academics and leaders would also be taking notes.

But India was OTL a multi-faith, multi-ethnic country.
Yes, but it wasn't so obvious to those not that familiar with India. How many people on the streets would differentiate between a Shiekh, a Muslim and a Jainist monk? I only learned of this much older after taking an interest in history and cultures, but TTL it'll be a common knowledge by the time of decolonization.

Last edited:
Yes, but it wasn't so obvious to those not that familiar with India. How many people on the streets would differentiate between a Shiekh, a Muslim and a Jainist monk? I only learned of this much older after taking an interest in history and cultures, but TTL it'll be a common knowledge by the time of decolonization.
I have a whole other story planned for Africa. Personally sick and tired of these nations getting screwed over in every AH timeline, I am going to make sure Africa can stand on its own post-independence. But this would mean Europeans HEAVILY investing in Africa and gradually giving them self-governance over time. Hey, at least its payback for all the harm they caused for the continent. Also, because Africa is so diverse, it might federalize post-independence. But my next update is on hold as I have finals right now.

Chapter 5: The Beginning of the Great Asian War
The general situation in Asia would be tense. It was a guessing game whether democracy or communism would triumph on this continent. Boiling tensions could spill over in an instant as communist agitators clamored for a bloody revolution. Authoritarian rulers also tried to hold on to their country with somewhat increasing brutality. The Soviets doubled down on their authoritarian communist rhetoric, much to the increasing disgruntlement of various nations. There were increasing agitations of freedom in E European nations as well as in Russia itself. Stalin's increasing suspicion also made people wary of the dictator. But the Chinese Civil War would boil over into something greater. Communist agitation and unrest was also being stopped in Eastern India, not to mention Indochina, SE Asia, and divided Korea. However, the defining moment would come with the invasion of Tibet by the PRC in 1950.

Tibet thought there may be tensions with China, but not enough to warrant a war. However the invasion of the PRC would be the candle to the dynamite that is the Great Asian War. CCP troops crushed defenses of Tibetans in the Battle of Lhasa on April 2, 1950. A military alliance proposed earlier would finally come into play. India would come to the aid of their friend Tibet, and declare war against the CCP on April 14, 1950. This would be the first step to the beginning of a regional war.

As India formally declares war on the CCP, the Chinese countered with the Worker's Resolution. This resolution calls on all communists to rise up in revolution. Like clockwork, guerrillas immediately form throughout Asia triumphing a communist cause. Similar to China, democratic forces versus communist forces soon emerge throughout Asia.

Immediately after the Worker's Resolution, the two fronts of the war began coalescing. Whether this meant trade agreements, supplies, reconnaissance, or information; talks were already underway. This culminated in the Qiqihar Conference and the Kunming Conference.
The Qiqihar Conference established their goal of a communist Asia. Led by Mao Zedong, the committee consisted of the CPC, DPRK, and communist movements throughout Asia. The Kunming Conference led a democratic Asia with India, Tibet, KMT, and the governments of ROK, Occupied Japan, Indochina, Siam, the Malay Federation, Singapore, and British HK. The unstable USSR and booming US eventually chose sides for each of the conflict.

The Great Asian War has begun.

Last edited:
Ch 6 Not Canon- Some Internationals Ideas
*Being Reworked Not technically Canon*

Indochina finally succeeded in kicking out the French from their country with the help of the Americans. Ho Chi Minh is described to passionately make a speech to the United States masterfully and eloquently speaking over the independence of his homeland and freedom for all. Convinced, the Americans persuaded France to give independence to the Republic of Indochina. Ho Chi Minh is made leader of a new multi-ethnic country.

The Malay Federation is established from Southern Siam, Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia, and some of the Philippines.

The Philippines was also faced with a crossroad. ATL, the US give independence actually and maintain good trade and diplomatic relations. The First Republic is plagued with corruption and authoritarianism, however. America immediately came to its aid with Japanese invasion and occupation, fighting side by side with Filipinos. A referendum is created and to the world's surprise, the Philippines vote to join the US by 55%. Philippines enters the US as a territory and eventually as states. This act alone will additionally cause nearly all of Oceania to join the United States post-war. Commonwealth realms will also have their fair share of American unionism.

The Organization of American States increasingly becomes more powerful as democracy flourishes in Latin America. Pan-Americanism will lead to cooperation between the US and its southern neighbors in an unprecedented new way. Pro-American parties sweep Canada after WW2.

European powers form the European Community post-war to re-integrate and rebuild their economies that are now war-torn. One important legislation Colonial Democracy Initiative which aims to ensure secular democracy in all colonies post-independence. This document would go on to develop the Middle East in a Western model post-independence. The Middle Eastern future would be one of migration and change.

Stalin's death would come as a blow to the Soviet Union. Internal squabbles would tremendously increase in the Soviet Union. Breakaway states would follow.

The UN sees an immediate increase in power as more nations are dedicated to internationalism. They are able to direct European aid efforts that applied to Africa additionally applying to Newly independent Asian colonies. Europe accepts.

Afrikaners in Africa stir discontent over the loss of power in their countries. Many leave and many protest.

Israel deals with internal conflict with Palestine but strangely no outside attacks.

Africa became the UN's first agenda. Quick decolonization would surely have left to instability, corruption, and poverty so the UN needed to help Africa to make sure it could emerge as a stable continent. It formalized the African Initiative which would make European nations, who had long exploited the continent of Africa for their benefit, responsible for their actions by making them
-reorganize states to reduce ethnic, religious, and racial tensions
-build the infrastructure necessary for survival such as roads, railroads, canals, etc.
-provide immediate aid such as food,
-invest in Africa to create a vibrant business and manufacturing base that does NOT involve the exploitation of Africa's resources as years past
-create a civil service administration to train the next generation of good African governance
-build electrical, sewage, water, education, health, court, and law services for Africa
-bring African agriculture to self-sufficient, abundant levels
-eradicate dangerous, infectious diseases
-establish secularism and democracy for Africa
-limited while increasing representation and autonomy for Africa
-massively create an education system such as schools and universities to secure Africa's future and train the next generation of leaders
-enforce equality for all people with guaranteed human rights ending apartheid and instilling equality for all human beings
-enforce the natural rights of all people, end human trafficking
-standardization and cooperation to enforce the directive
-established the Organization for African Unity
The nations of Europe would tend to the lands they had colonized but they had to maintain certain standardization with the Initiative rules (inter-nation roads etc.) as well as certain standards for development. The standard African language, even with contentious proposals of Swahili, was decided to be English, seeing how it was needed globally. UK, France, Belgium, Italy, Spain, and Portugal might have grumbled but eventually agreed to this resolution. West Germany would also agree to this resolution jointly administering its past colonies with colonizers who held it post WW1. The USA would administer Liberia. Italy would administer Ethiopia.

The resolution would be adopted on January 15, 1950. And Africa's future would be much brighter.

Last edited:
Questions:
Independence is the same date as OTLs independence for India and Pakistan?
The PoD is the turn of the Century?

How does this affect British Indian and Colonial policy during those 40 years?

Questions:
Independence is the same date as OTLs independence for India and Pakistan?
The PoD is the turn of the Century?

How does this affect British Indian and Colonial policy during those 40 years?
Mild butterfly nets erected but the main premise is this. INC memorandums on "Muslim acceptance" are decided to be integrated. This causes Muslims to join with Hindus in the independence movement ie no Pakistan. Various small POD's are the British don't split up the Raj, Tibet is independent, Philippines is Pro-American.

Chapter 7: Narrative Pt. 1
Sorry for the long break, it was on and off for a while but I am determined to see this through.

-Burma 1950

Kunda surveyed the surroundings. Thick jungle cover contrasted with soaring peaks mingling amongst the smoke from far-off Chinese encampments. Here he stood, recruited out of the Royal Army to assist the patriotic effort to drive out the godless communists from Bharat. He would be one of many soldiers to provide intelligence for one of the biggest army movements through Sichuan, looping around the Himalayas entirely. The Rangoon Plan was designed to be, if successful, a devastating effort that would pave the way for greater involvement in the West and a reprieve for the ROC, many of who were already escaping from Shanghai to Taiwan.

Approaching his superior to give a report, his attention turned to the strange item his superior held in his hand, extremely dark brown squares -as dark as his superior's skin- connected together and placed in a shiny metallic fabric. His superior, noticing his gaze, turned to him and explained.

"Kunda, its chocolate. A Western delicacy." He breaks off a piece and offers it to a now startled Kunda. "Would you like one?"

Kunda's eyes swell up in tears. Oh how he could remember growing up, tin encampments and pit fires, every waking breath kept separate from society. And with one single out-sprung hand, his superior was breaking centuries of discrimination that existed on the subcontinent. Kunda gingerly took the substance from his hand, and placed it in his mouth. He chewed.

"It tastes so different than anything I have had." This was the first time Kunda had anything sweet.

Unfortunate End
Hey guys, this is a courtesy update because there was a small following of this TL. So as you can tell, I have been swamped with life and haven’t really had time to add on to this TL. Additionally I feel that I want to move on to other projects, and that this TL was not going a certain way I intended it to. It seemed too good and too unrealistic in many cases, and I feel like rewrites are needed to really push it through. The goal was a modern, developed, and expansive India that could shake up the world’s stage but the TL was missing out on a lot of elements that would have made it work. Additionally, I think a second version is what is needed, at an indeterminate time maybe, and perhaps with the help of likeminded AH’ers. Thanks for reading, and hopefully one day in the future I can get back to this project and really make it shine.

Sincerely,

manitobot