“Readmission Delayed”

What would American and world history be like if – as was proposed by some Northerners (I forget who) after the Civil War – the Southern States had been maintained as organized territories for a substantial period after the war ended?

I will exclude Tennessee as its rapid readmittance was never opposed even by those who most wanted readmission to be slow.

I’ve thought of this one for some time past, and have imagined the possibility that Washington could have established territorial governments to rule the rebel states in the ordinary manner as done before and after with the western territories. These territorial governments had elected legislatures but appointed Governors and other executives.

If the Federal Government had done this, what do you think the result would have been?? I have though it might have been done on terms that would prevent violent rebellions from landowners, maybe even controlling their own workforce on land leased from the Federal government. Would this have gone as well as it has for ranchers in the West?

I honestly think this would have substantially harmed the United States. Yes, there was a lot of ill will towards the South during the war, but after it, the only thing that most Northerners wanted was an end to slavery.

Keeping the South in a state of submission like this would probably be unconstitutional, because what readmission was about was representation in Congress- and the House and Senate have full power to refuse to seat a member. They were still officially states at this time, with all of the associated rights, other than Federal representation.