“Peshawar Lancers” Disaster Happening in other ATLs

I'm not sure what he meant by that. As for the CSA surviving- I guess they can relocate to Lousiana, Florida, and Texas to escape the cold, I'm not sure how the south fared. I'm also pretty sure the comet impacts hit in the northern plains (which would explain why the book doesn't mention the Great Lakes cities- they were wiped out).

According to the Texian Ranger, in the Difference Engine, the Texas junta is being starved out. My guess is that Franco-Mexico will snatch them up, then the CSA remnant centered around Louisiana.

Strategos' Risk said:
According to the Texian Ranger, in the Difference Engine, the Texas junta is being starved out. My guess is that Franco-Mexico will snatch them up, then the CSA remnant centered around Louisiana.
Sorry to ask, but what exactly is the political situation of the Difference Engine? All I know is from reviews and the map of it that Diamond made.

luakel said:
Sorry to ask, but what exactly is the political situation of the Difference Engine? All I know is from reviews and the map of it that Diamond made.

The British Empire (and to some extent, the Napoloeonic French Empire) is controlled by savants- technocrats who run Babbage's analytical engines. They are very smart, supported by most workers and the middle class, and have made nobility meritocratic. Babbage is described as a "master pragmatist" by a character, and the savants all have emergency committees that sit and plan out worst-case scenarios. Also, for some reason paleotology is sophisticated enough that people believe a comet wiped out the dinosaurs. It is conceivable that based on the book, some savant might have considered a future meteor strike.

Internationally-wise the British have beat up the U.S. by alternately supporting the C.S.A., California, Texas, and various Native Americans. The British have also opened up Japan to trade and advancement- they helped to kick out the shogunate and bring in a mikado.

Mexico is in Napoleon's hands. Sam Houston is a British-supported puppet- an anti-foreign junta took over Texas, and Houston fled to Britain with much of the treasury and attempts to amass a reconquista army in the beginning of the book. He gets assaulted by an assassin later, a Texian Ranger who demands for the money back, and mentions that the junta "can't feed ourselves", and lacks a lot of things.

Techwise there are steamcars, though not much mentioned about zepplins (thanks). About the same level as 2050 Peshawar Lancer world.

Strategos' Risk said:
The British Empire (and to some extent, the Napoloeonic French Empire) is controlled by savants- technocrats who run Babbage's analytical engines. They are very smart, supported by most workers and the middle class, and have made nobility meritocratic. Babbage is described as a "master pragmatist" by a character, and the savants all have emergency committees that sit and plan out worst-case scenarios. Also, for some reason paleotology is sophisticated enough that people believe a comet wiped out the dinosaurs. It is conceivable that based on the book, some savant might have considered a future meteor strike.

Internationally-wise the British have beat up the U.S. by alternately supporting the C.S.A., California, Texas, and various Native Americans. The British have also opened up Japan to trade and advancement- they helped to kick out the shogunate and bring in a mikado.

Mexico is in Napoleon's hands. Sam Houston is a British-supported puppet- an anti-foreign junta took over Texas, and Houston fled to Britain with much of the treasury and attempts to amass a reconquista army in the beginning of the book. He gets assaulted by an assassin later, a Texian Ranger who demands for the money back, and mentions that the junta "can't feed ourselves", and lacks a lot of things.

Techwise there are steamcars, though not much mentioned about zepplins (thanks). About the same level as 2050 Peshawar Lancer world.

Thanks. :)

So how would Britain deal with the heart of the Empire being wiped out?

Well, the British Isles actually didn't fare too badly in the Peshawar Lancers- London didn't get hit, I think. So I think since they're much more advanced in the Difference Engine, they'll figure out early that the weather's not going to improve, and probably they'd:

1. Send the core people southwards for safety.

2. Deal with the refugee problem by- I don't know, promising food for work in a highly efficient manner.

3. Some sort of sophisticated method to bring in food.

In the end I doubt they'll be making India the new heart of the empire. At worst, the Cape Colony is going to get swamped. Hell, maybe by 1876 the British will have made Nigeria into an industrialized colony. Also, they might do something more innovational as opposed to the desperation in the Peshawar Lancers: maybe try distributed settlement or something. Lastly, they can use the political clout to settle southern Europe or something like that. Italy is unified in 1855 the Difference Engine. Maybe the British helped.

Of course, if the Engines are destroyed, and most of the savants die, then it'll be very, very bad indeed. The shock to the national psyche will be more devestating than in the Peshawar Lancers.

If "the Fall" happened anytime before the Race's attempted conquest of Tosev3 in Turtledove's "WorldWar" series, things would go much easier for the Lizards as the strike would have wiped out most of the main industrial centers which provided effective technological opposition to the alien invasion in the 1940's.

If it occured smack dab in the middle of 1943, the books would be even more of a hoot.

zoomar said:
If it occured smack dab in the middle of 1943, the books would be even more of a hoot.
Wouldn't the Race have destroyed the comet at a safe distance? Their starships ARE armed, after all.

Ivan Druzhkov said:
Wouldn't the Race have destroyed the comet at a safe distance? Their starships ARE armed, after all.

I dunno. Maybe Ambivalent Atvar would see that they would strike in the freezing and unpleasant northern hemisphere and figure this will solve a big problem with those SSSR, Deutche, and American Big Uglies without getting his own hands dirty?

What about in a world where the Spainsh Armada won and ultimately took back many of the states that would grow independant?

Or we could attempt a Fast Forward of 1632 and see what would happen... :D

Straha

Banned
If it happened in Caliph the effect would be minimal. Caliph by the late 1600's was getting around 2-3 centuries above us. Caliph by 1880 would probably be 5-6 above us in tech.

Eh, well I placed the meteor strikes in 1878 for a reason. Too many TLs progress differently. And in the OTL/Worldwar 1940s, technology's too powerful to make the cataclysm a true apocalypse.

There's two ways to do this:

1. Compare TPL with the Fall happening in other TLs' 1878 (the date is set just to have something fixed alongside the meteor strikes).

2. Compare TPL with the Fall happening in an earlier date (and thus less sophisticated world) in either OTL or another TL.