“It is better to cure a sick man than to kill him.” A Northumbrian Survival Timeline

Autumn 1531-Winter 1532 in Italy
Autumn 1531 – Winter 1532: Calabria: Three armies converged on Potenza in early October 1531: the Roman army in retreat from its abortive advance, the army of Umberto Sanseverino marching south from Campania and a smaller Sicilian force, mainly militia and mercenaries which snapped at the heels of the Romans. The Romans turned on the Sicilians just outside the city with their heavy cavalry and simply rode them down, scattering their forces to the winds. The peasant militias melted back into the countryside and resumed their farming while the mercenaries were dogged by pursuit for twenty miles. The Roman cavalry dealt them very heavy casualties before being recalled to face the Campanians. But Sanseverino had moved very swiftly and caught the inexperienced young Roman commander wrong-footed. Before the cavalry could return, the Campanians sent in their infantry and arquebusiers while harrying the flanks with light units. The Romans fought back, but were exhausted and demoralised by their recent reverses and guerilla warfare. When the Campanian knights threatened to outflank them and roll up their line, they finally broke and ran. Sanseverino’s light brigand harried them mercilessly as they jammed the gateway of Potenza. Roman casualties mounted to over two thousand for just a few hundred Campanians. The returning cavalry fared better, fighting its way through the Campanians to enter the city in a more orderly fashion. Neither side was prepared for a siege, but Sanseverino gave orders to blockade the city in the hope that he could starve out the Greeks. In January, the Roman army was indeed forced to surrender. It gave its parole and retreated without arms or baggage back to Apulia. Its numbers were much depleted by cold and hunger by the time it returned to imperial territory. Sanseverino occupied Potenza for the remainder of the Winter.

Campania: Sanseverino’s victory both bolstered his prestige and caused him political difficulties. His more independent nobles strengthened their forces and defences and intrigued all the more before his strength became too great to oppose him. But the Archbishop started to see the Prince as the best chance of bringing stability to Campania. The defeat of the hitherto unbeaten schismatics gave Umberto lustre as the defender of the church. He was not slow to promote this image. So, little by little, Sanseverino’s political position in the region strengthened while yet being challenged more robustly by the centrifugalism of the nobility.

Rome: The people of Rome, proud citizens now of a Republic once more and implacable opponents of the Magyar ascendancy in the Papacy, watched as the frail, shabby figure in the black cassock walked slowly and barefoot through the streets. There was loud grumbling at Aegidio Sforza whose guards prudently lined the streets and anger at the man in the cassock. Yet on he walked, the picture of holy meekness. Only the guards prevented his swift and painful end at the hands of the outraged people. There was no pageantry, no rich vestments or crowds of courtiers and attendants. Only Fr Florian and a small, brave band of a dozen ascetic priests walked behind him with bowed heads. When Stephen X returned to his capital, he came as a humble penitent. Sforza had given no warning of his détente with the Pope so as to preempt opposition and violence. But the mood of the crowd was certainly dark and sullen. At last, Stephen reached the muddy heights of the Campidoglio and there mounted an impromptu platform to address the crowd.

“God’s blessing upon you, good people of Rome! I return humbly from exile to resume my ministry among you. I return chastened by experience and illness to stand before you in penitence. I return not to rule, but to serve.”

The crowd quickly quietened at these unexpected words and listened in absolute silence. Their temper at once became less truculent so amazed were they at the self-abasement of a Prince of the Church. These few humble and sincere words delivered distinctly and clearly, but without pomp or pretense were set against the centuries of arrogant complacency of lordly exploitation and of violent repression. They held back, for now, the visceral and atavistic hatred of the masses for the worldly princes of the Church. The Pope continued:

“For all the sins of arrogance and corruption of the church, I ask pardon. For all the violence wrought against the poor I ask pardon. For my own unwillingness to see that a life of humble service to the meek, the dispossessed and the poor is the only mission of the church, I ask pardon. Forgive me, good people of Rome, and let me serve here as I learned to serve in Viterbo. Let the church bring you alms and succour. Let the church comfort you in distress and heal you in illness. Let the church unite us all in the Body of Christ that He may pour forth his loving compassion upon us and bring us redemption for our sins despite ourselves. As I stand in the shoes of the fisherman, St Peter, our humble first bishop, I reconsecrate the church and the Papacy to spiritual leadership and service. I renounce secular power. I renounce the wealth of the church. Let it be used to bring relief to the destitute and healing to the sick. I renounce the pomp of the church as St Francis did three centuries ago. I bless Aegidio Sforza who brought peace back to Rome. I recognise his rulership of the city as Tribune and I confer on him in title and substance the Principality of Latium. May he rule wisely and moderately. People of Rome, will you forgive your bishop?”

The crowd roared its assent as one.

“People of Rome, will you accept my humble service and mission to the poor?”

Once again the crowd shouted its agreement.

“People of Rome, will you recognise Aegidio Sforza as Prince of Latium?”

There were strong cries of yes, yes from many in the crowd and yet also pungent rejoinders and refusals from a substantial minority who felt this monarchy was a betrayal of their Republican freedoms. Sforza and Stephen X had reunited the city – mostly – and brought the church back to the holy city. The Pope then raised his right hand aloft and blessed the crowd

“Benedicat vos, Omnipotens Deus, Pater et Filius et Spiritus Sanctus.”

He then led his small band of priests to the Vatican. They cleared the wreckage and reopened the half-built St Peter’s Basilica. Although building was resumed, the style was plainer and the workers paid well. At the same time, the Pope began the building of two hospitals and three schools for the children of the poor. It took many months to win back the trust of people of the city after the initial burst of excitement, but Stephen X worked hard and was true to his words. Many had died in the strife and persecution unleashed by Leo IX. Prince Aegidio, at his advice, kept Rome itself as a Republican city-state while ruling the rest of the region as a Prince. There was grumbling, but no riots or overt resistance.

Tuscany: Cardinal Medici was apoplectic at the news that Stephen X had regained Rome. When he learned furthermore that he had been accepted peacefully, whereas he the scion of a noble Italian house had failed in war, his anger knew no bounds. In his rage, he sent for a very special retainer of the family and gave him instruction. Then he began to exert the influence of his house and his faction to unite the Ultras. Through Council or Conclave, he must win the Papacy and undo these treacherous actions. How dare this barbarian dismantle the heritage of a millennium just to truckle to the mob!

Bologna: Gianluca Colonna began once more to gather forces and plan an invasion. With Stephen X’s abdication of rule in the Papal States, Umbria was ripe for annexation. He put out feelers to the cities, but prepared for war should he face resistance.

Last edited:
Autumn 1531-Winter 1532 in France and Anglia
France: France launched light horse irregulars for raiding the countryside around Strasbourg repeatedly during these months. After initial successes, they were decimated in the Winter months when snow and ice hindered their ability to evade pursuit. Nonetheless, the Duc de Maine continued his military preparations for a renewed invasion in the Spring. Philippe of Provence likewise spent the Winter months building up and training his forces. The political truce held though underlying tensions between factions remained. Gabriel D’Annebault renewed his attempt to find funds for a second voyage across the Atlantic. The Regent denied him a second time, but the explorer was stubborn. His efforts finally secured a backer from among the merchants of Brittany who saw the potential for increased trade.

Anglia: Edward VI of Northumbria transferred his energies from the abbots to patronage of the Friars of St Ethelred. He saw that their churches continued to rise and allocated funds for impressive decorations and a chapel within each. He also began scholarships for the famed faculty of Theology at Salisbury. Poor but clever youths could now fulfill their potential in return for accepting ordination and service among the Friars. It was no coincidence that Salisbury had emerged as the strongest centre of Reformed Catholicism during recent years. Edward looked to the future and sought to ensure the victory of his adoptive creed through evangelism and education. His involvement in the Lay Confraternities also increased. His interest was enough to spark some new interest among the socially ambitious and to slow the trend of decline. It also ensured that they did not become bastions of opposition to reform. Bishop Erasmus of Dunwich gained a great success in the conversion of fellow Frisians from among the merchant colonies of East Anglia. His personal chaplain, a fellow Frisian, led the efforts. The good bishop also began to found scholarships for poor boys and to revive the languishing hospitals of his diocese. Despite his foreign birth, he had won the hearts of East Anglians.

Autumn 1531-Winter 1532 in Germany Part I
Germany: Herzog von Frundsberg watched as his cannon rolled forward to the positions prepared for the grand battery. They were well defended by infantry and cavalry and the ground had been strengthened with ditches and ramparts. He was determined that no sorties could interfere with his bombardment of the walls. For spies and deserters had indicated that supplies were still plentiful in Munich and likely to last until the next Summer at least. He, Frundsberg, who had been so exalted by his emperor, owed it to him to smash the opposition by Winter so that the Reich could its external enemies from within the frontiers: France in the West and the accursed Magyars and Bohemians in the East. The gray November day was still dry, thank God, but rain might come imminently. It held off until the artillery was positioned at least. But there followed several days of deluge.

Meanwhile, Ritter Heinrich von Trott was trying to protect yet another supply convoy from the Wittelsbach Duke. He now had defensive arrangements well organized for transports, having borrowed the idea of armoured wagons from the Bohemian Hussites of the previous century. The supplies got through with vital gunpowder and more food. But on his return to Autumn camp, his force was attacked by a rabble of peasants. He could scarcely believe his eyes as they defied his men. The troops rode forward eagerly to strike them down. There were women there too and his men would not be restrained. Then the trap was sprung by Duke Otto. Mixed pikes and arquebusiers smashed into their flanks and heavy knights sealed the retreat from the rear. The copses and ridges had concealed the attackers all too well. The result was of course inevitable. The entire force was killed or captured. Ritter von Trott himself was taken from the field unconscious. But the Bavarians showed an unusual degree of mercy to the defending troops. After a desperate defence, they gave up after the first offer of surrender. Furthermore, the Duke was true to his word and the prisoners, about half of the original force, were not maltreated or killed.

The great cannon roared for a week, pulverising Munich’s walls. Frundsberg watched from his observation post. He wanted several large breaches through which his troops could enter the city. His aide, Captain von Hütten, brought him news of a new supply column approaching, but he maintained his watch as yet another stretch of wall crashed down. Frundsberg then signaled for the assault to begin. His chosen regiments surged forward while others remained in reserve. Suddenly, all Hell broke loose at the other end of the camp, as the supply column attacked his rear with Bavarian troops under Duke Otto himself.

To be continued...

Reread this twice to make sure that I understood what was happening (Hence the speed of the likes on a third pass). I especially like the Friars of St Ethelred.

Reread this twice to make sure that I understood what was happening (Hence the speed of the likes on a third pass). I especially like the Friars of St Ethelred.
Yes, I've been watching them pile up in amusement. I like the Friars too - Anglo-Catholic Jesuits essentially - and was quite pleased with the concept on Pan-Britonism as a form of exceptionalism. Thanks for the kind words.

No comfy armchairs or being poked with cushions. Yes, I did run through your Arthur TL with many likes recently. Terrific writing.

A very enjoyable read, and I particularly like the characterisations in between the carnage and sneaky assassinations. I hope young Wilibrord goes far. Thank you very much.
As for the latest update, von Frundsberg was having it all his own way, it's about time for fortune to frown on him.
Should I wait for more background before I read your 1812 timeline?

A very enjoyable read, and I particularly like the characterisations in between the carnage and sneaky assassinations. I hope young Wilibrord goes far. Thank you very much.
As for the latest update, von Frundsberg was having it all his own way, it's about time for fortune to frown on him.
We'll see. The dice dictate. My other TL was more one-sided that way. There are formatting nuisances with it that I don't know how to correct. Advice welcome on that. But read it any time. This TL could go on to 1690, if I have the energy. Thank you for your very kind comments. Willibrord will definitely feature again. Strassburg stands in for another German town iotl and will have dramatic developments soon.

Von Frundsberg triumphant
Von Frundsberg ordered three regiments to attack Otto while proceding with the assault on Munich. The fighting was intense on all fronts. Duke Otto fought with desperate courage and tactical brilliance. He forced back the regiments opposing him, burned the further part of the camp, scattering the camp followers. Alas his men would not forgo rape and pillage. Several hours were lost before he could push forward to Munich again. His men, now alarmed by the terrible sounds echoing from the city and ashamed of their folly, fought their way forward with reckless fury. The imperial rear was destroyed in its ranks, but new troops lay beyond them and the battle had thinned the numbers of the Bavarians. Smoke began to rise from Munich. On Duke Otto charged again. Miraculously, his men routed the superior numbers before them. Three more regiments lay mangled in the imperial lines. Then von Frundsberg led his cavalry against Otto. The fight ground on but the Bavarians could not force their way through. Then they began to give ground as the numbers against them grew more overwhelming. Finally just two companies remained to face the final charge of the Imperial cavalry. Von Frundsberg himself led the charge and hit the Bavarians like Mjollnir. Captain von Hütten slew Duke Otto and the fight then left the few score Bavarian survivors. They scattered and fled as they could. The Bavarian army was no more. Munich too fell that night in flame and blood. The Imperials sacked the city savagely. It took three days for von Frundsberg to bring his men back under control. By then, half of the people of Munich lay dead. The Herzog wept at the waste and the carnage in his tent that night. Even his beloved von Hütten, now a Colonel, could not console him. Finally he fell into a dead and exhausted sleep. The Pact of Freising was no more.

Sorry, but some generals just win a lot.

A new Germany
Archduke Karl held back the Magyar forces throughout the Autumn. Both sides lost heavily in a campaign of attrition. But when reinforcements arrived from Bohemia in January, the forces of the Holy League attacked again. Over four days the battle raged and Imperial troops were slowly driven back from their fortifications. On the fifth day, the League forces attacked along the whole line and finally broke the Imperial Army. Archduke Karl was wounded and barely escaped with the rearguard. The League pursued the retreating Imperials back to Vienna. The archduke died there of pneumonia aggravated by his wounds. The weakened garrison could not hold against the Bohemian artillery and fell a week later on 27th January. Karl IV was distraught at the loss of his younger son. He was 75 now and growing tired and feeble, but he knew that he needed to hold on for a year or two yet.

In February 1532, Karl IV called a Diet at Adelsheim. There he formally deposed all of the ecclesiastical rulers of states and secularised their dioceses. The recent victories and the end of the Pact of Freising had given the emperor political dominance, at least for the moment. He also abolished the Holy Roman Empire and its elective monarchy in favour of a German Empire with himself as Kaiser. Its succession was hereditary and Salic still. No woman might be Kaiserin as an independent ruler. To counter-balance this new political dominance of the House of Hapsburg, the Imperial Diet was to retain its power over legislation for the whole Reich. The rulers of states demanded this to accede to the radical shift in centralisation to the Hapsburgs. Only the Diet could depose rulers within the Reich, but the emperor could appoint new rulers once they were deposed. The new duchies of Westphalia and Franconia were recognised and the Rhineland, with its capital at Cologne, was made a Principality, always to be the patrimony of the Crown Prince. It consisted of the Archbishoprics of Cologne, Mainz and Trier. Von Frundsberg thus lost Trier, but was recompensed with the new title of Archduke of Austria. Of course he would have to reconquer his new realm. Karl IV failed to secure the deposition of the Wittelsbachs from Bavaria and the thirty year old Rupprecht, son of Otto, became the new Duke. He pledged fealty and was forced to accept religious toleration, but chafed against his family’s defeat within.

Autumn 1531-Winter 1532 in Poland
Poland: The Lutheran villages trained their militias furiously over the Winter. They knew that the Mazovia Massacre would draw a deadly response in the Spring. Prince Piast enlarged the cavalry reserve. There were also greater efforts at evangelism where Lutheranism had a foothold. More embraced the faith despite the massacre of the six villages in the Spring. Even some peasants were now converting. But this brought difficulties for remaining Catholic families. They were becoming more isolated within their communities as a result of the rise in violence on both sides. Priests were becoming scarcer too. A small number of families trickled away to the south and east. As Protestant communities became stronger and more tightly knit, they also grew in discipline. More young men volunteered for soldiers to keep the faith safe. Meanwhile, in Catholic areas, commanders grimly levied new companies and levies, determined to eradicate this grotesque heresy from holy Poland.

Spring 1532 in Italy part I
Spring 1532: Campania: Umberto Sanseverino’s forces moved swiftly back to the Principality on the rumours of revolt. The garrison at Potenza should be enough to hold the town until a further offensive could be launched. But, for now, the Prince needed to be sure of his own realm. In fact, the revolt was a small affair. The lord of Capri had declared his allegiance to Sicily and landed a force at Sorrento. Umberto quickly advanced against them, forcing their retreat. They did not even fight until a narrow stretch of road near the harbour. There they turned on Sanseverino’s vanguard and routed it utterly. This allowed them to take ship back to Capri. But they sank or burned all the vessels in Sorrento’s harbour. It was six weeks before Prince Umberto could raise enough ships to sail to Capri. There he defeated the lord’s meagre naval forces and landed. Rather than face a ruinous defensive campaign against a much larger force, the lord’s twenty-five year old son, Guido da Brissone, overthrew his father and came to terms with the Prince. The father, Lord Luigi, was imprisoned in Salerno’s dungeon. But two more lords revolted in June in the interior of Campania. The Calabrian offensive would have to wait.

Rome: Stephen X was in the slums, again. Once he could not have walked there even with a bodyguard, but now he was accepted. He had brought alms for the elderly and infirm, clad only in his rusty old cassock. To all intents and purposes, he resembled a middle-aged parish priest. The cold-eyed man kept back out of sight following Stephen. As the Pope, after his pastoral visits, strode on to the new stone buildings being erected to house the destitute, he began to close the distance. The streets were lightly populated this afternoon as many drowsed at home in their siestas. Soon, only Stephen X was about. Then Michele struck at the Pope from behind, wounding him. But Stephen turned swiftly, putting up unexpected resistance, he fended off the next attack with his staff. Michele hissed at him “Die, foreigner, and know that your death comes from the Medici. You will die from blade or the poison. I, Macchiavelli, wreak this revenge.” The assassin lunged once again with the glistening blade, but was catapulted forward by an unexpected thrust from behind. He landed awkwardly in the mud. Fr Florian leapt on him with tigerish ferocity. Both men fought hard for several minutes, but Michele Macchiavelli was unable to escape. Meanwhile, a crowd had assembled. While many stood by and watched the spectacle, a few old men aided Stephen X, now pallid and fainting. One stepped forward though and smashed the Florentine assassin’s skull with his club. Peppino Vampa dragged the corpse off Fr Florian who bled from many wounds. The faithful young priest gasped out “A vorpal blade! Look to his holiness” before collapsing into insensibility. The crowd carried the two priests to the newly erected hospital where they lay blanched, clammy and breathing hoarsely. Word had spread and a great host of the poor stood in vigil outside the building awaiting news. There was much quiet weeping as the hours unwound with painful tardiness and ever worsening bulletins.

To be continued.

Just caught up on this really interesting timeline.

Pope Stephens transformation is fascinating! Alas - he's bound to come unstuck!

Keep up the good work Clem!

Just caught up on this really interesting timeline.

Pope Stephens transformation is fascinating! Alas - he's bound to come unstuck!

Keep up the good work Clem!
Yes, I was channeling Oscar Romero a bit. Things could well get unstuck. I hope to update again to-night or to-morrow with Pope Stephen's fate. Thanks for the kind words. From a writer as talented as you are, that means a great deal. I'm sat in a local restaurant trying to write an encyclopaedia article about the bloody Sarmatians in the interim.