“It is better to cure a sick man than to kill him.” A Northumbrian Survival Timeline

My apologies for the silence. I've hit crunch time with my monograph and am working very long hours. I've not found much energy left as yet.

Another chapter revised, polished and sent to the editor. Manuscript well on its way now and I felt rested enough this morning to write some more. So, an update follows.

1543:

The British Isles: Gundobad looked with savage pride at the smoking ruins of Kirkcudbright. The monastic house of St Cuthbert which had apostasised from the one true faith was now a smouldering ruin, its monks all slaughtered by his zealous holy warriors. His five carracks were laden with loot and slaves. The Prince of Strathclyde would rue the day he had scorned his approaches. His second son, Mungo, was still dying on the shore line slowly sliding down the impaling stake. As the ships approached Wigton three vessels sallied forth against them in battle array. Lord Coel’s banner fluttered proudly from the first. Gundobad signaled the two treasure ships to break away and return to Man as his remaining vessels drew into battle line. By evening, the sea ran with blood and two mighty carracks of the Strathclyde navy were captured with the third sunk. Gundobad had personally smashed Coel’s skull with his mighty club and his soldiers and sailors had died hard in a desperate, but hopeless fight. Just twenty remained to face the choice of conversion or death. Three men alone had escaped of those who flung themselves overboard and swum for the shore. The squire, Columba, brought news to Prince Cuthbert of the death of his heir. The hardy Prince fell stricken by a stroke and became a shadow of his former self. A month later, his youngest son and unexpected heir, Urien, approached Man with the five remaining ships of Strathclyde’s fleet. Bloody battle followed that day and another savage blow struck down the last hope of the House of Strathclyde.

Edward VI mourned the bloody losses of his neighbor and ordered reinforcements for his own kingdom, especially the Rheged shore. Strathclyde had been Northumbrian once but seceded in a dark time of strife. He shook his head sadly and smiled at the golden head of his own heir, Alfred, a fine, strong young man who would uphold the kingdom after his own death. Queen Leofflæd, his consort, joined him. Her golden locks were graying now, but she had given him long years of happiness since first they met in her father’s court in East Anglia. His mind turned once again to the dark scourge of Gundobad, surely the worst challenge the Isles had suffered since the Great Deliverance. Was God punishing the islands for apostasy he wondered? He could not believe that his wrath would fall in so bloody a manner after the long centuries of peace. But his heart was troubled.

Well, I'm in the UK and have been swamped with my overseas programme, but the students are off to Edinburgh on a free weekend, so I'm hoping for an update in the next few days.

Well, I'm in the UK and have been swamped with my overseas programme, but the students are off to Edinburgh on a free weekend, so I'm hoping for an update in the next few days.

You are alive and hopefully the students have left something of your sanity, that is the main thing :)

Well it looks as though RR is out for good. I have tried to make the case for an appeal, but failed. That does put a dampener on this thread.

He was a stalwart supporter of my writing from 2014, but thank you for your comment. I may not be able to add anything until September with my very considerable commitments this month.

RL must take priority - the start of the academic year is always busy, I know; your updates are always worth the wait so we'll just be patient...

I'm not sure when I'll next get an update written, but I haven't given up on this TL. My academic career is exceptionally busy and I was travelling over the Christmas hols.

RL always has to take priority of course.
We appreciate anything you send our way. I'm still in awe of anyone, like you, who can find time to write at all whilst holding down a full-time career.

RL always has to take priority of course.
We appreciate anything you send our way. I'm still in awe of anyone, like you, who can find time to write at all whilst holding down a full-time career.
Thanks, mate. Welcome also to The Duke of Novia Scotia and thanks for his many likes these last few days.