‘Power without Responsibility’ - A 1930s TL

People

Just come across this and an interesting option. Matching other countries protectionist policies might have helped but not sure if the rather ramshakled new government has the skill and experience to do it.

Also, as some of the comments in the debates point out tariffs boost only special interest groups unless their part of a wider policy of economic revival. Does the alliance, dominated by Conservatives and Liberals who historically were reluctant to support investment by the government have any wider aims? Otherwise its a one trick pony that can't perform what's needed on its own.

I get the feeling from the thread title and general tone of things that Torn but Flying is planning on the tariff programme to result in failure.

Steve

As someone commented above, Bennett is VERY unlikely to win reelection. As Hoover in the States was associated with the Depression (and Hoovervilles), so too is Bennett in Canada. A car pulled by a horse (can't afford gas) is a Bennett buggy....

Anything further going on? Or is this one dead?

(Please note: I've just come back to the forum after unintentionally being away for three months or so. I apologise if there might be some thread necromancy, as I catch up and comment on a few things.)