‘Power without Responsibility’ - A 1930s TL

This is my first attempt at a proper ATL, so go easy on me (any comments welcome though! :)).

The free trade vs. protectionism debate has emerged again and again in British politics, periodically dominating parliament and the nation, with Disraeli splitting the Conservative party over the issue in the 1840s and Joseph Chamberlain almost succeeding with his tariff scheme in the first decade of the twentieth century. Following the stock market crash in 1929, the idea of preferential trade within the Empire was again advanced – this time most fervently by the newspaper magnates behind the Daily Mail and other popular papers. Their attempt to form a new political party enjoyed early success and, if not for a speech denouncing their pretentions by Conservative leader Stanley Baldwin, they could have profoundly changed the course of British history.

Daily Mail article, 1930*
With unemployment leaping up week after week, and now in excess of 1,500,000; with works and mills closing down; with taxation rising and an inexpansive revenue, the nation is coming to realise that some swift, effective remedy must be applied without delay, if we are to avert disaster

TIME Magazine article, March 1930*
Flatly defying all three British political parties—Labour, Liberal and Conservative—the Lords Beaverbrook and Rothermere, spurred off on a new journalistic crusade last week, founded with blare and ballyhoo a fourth party: "The United Empire Party." Its opening manifesto went out to six million British homes, not as propaganda but in the news columns of the "Beavermere" press. It was topped by banner headlines, buttressed by editorials and addressed with shrewd psychology to "men and women."

Couched in the most personal terms and signed by Baron Beaverbrook, the manifesto began:

"It is now ten weeks since I invited all men and women who believe as I do on the matter of empire trade to join a crusade to further our objects. Already a hundred thousand men and women have enrolled as founder members and I receive daily from every part of the country and the empire letters revealing ardent hopes and intense enthusiasms inspired by the free-trade policy. It has aroused new hopes among people who were beginning to despair of ever being offered a straight forward constructive policy as a remedy for our unemployment and poor trade."

In point of fact the Beavermere scheme for "Empire Free Trade" is the exact reverse of '"straight-forward." Trade is to be free within the Empire, but around the Empire is to rise a tariff wall. Deliberately contradictory, this '"straight-for ward" scheme has been denounced in Parliament by all three parties, a fact of which the manifesto proceeded to take scathing note: "Snowden has poured out his scorn: Lloyd George has been moved to put on his full warpaint and to cut his most comical capers, and Baldwin looks the other way while some of his lieutenants threaten all who dare to believe in the economic union of the empire."

* Actual articles.

Against the Tide, by Winston Churchill
It was clear to those who knew the character of the men that Rothermere and Beaverbrook were making a concerted effort for power, attempting to disrupt and dislodge the Baldwin clique, either through defeating anti-tariff Conservatives in the polls or by forcing the Conservative party as a whole to adopt the misguided policies of the UEP.

Timeline

24th October 1929 - William Maxwell Aitken, Lord Beaverbrook, publishes a pamphlet in which he sets out his pro-tariff agenda, stating that “The foodstuffs we need in this country could all be raised either in our own soil or in the British Dominions, Colonies and Protectorates. The coal, machinery and textiles that the increasing populations of our new territories overseas demand, could be supplied by the factories of Britain and the Dominions.”

2nd February 1930 – The United Empire Party is launched by Beaverbrook, supported by fellow press baron Harold Harmsworth, Lord Rothermere. A flood of pro-UEP articles and declarations appear in the Daily Mail and other publications.

30th October 1930 – The UEP wins its first seat in parliament at the Paddington South by-election, with its candidate Vice-Admiral Edward Taylor polling 11,209 votes, 37.4%, to 10,268 for the Tories.

19th February 1931 – At the Islington East by-election, the UEP candidate splits the conservative vote, pushing the Tories into third place and resulting in success for the labour party. The UEP polls 8,314 in second place to Labour’s 10,591.

March 1931 – The Conservative candidate for the upcoming by-election in Westminster St George’s withdraws from the race, stating that he cannot support Baldwin’s agenda in the face of UEP policies. Baldwin is advised by the Conservative Party chief agent to stand down. Baldwin resigns his post as leader of the opposition.**

** This is the POD – in OTL Baldwin had resigned himself to his fate but, at the last moment, was convinced to stay on by family and friends.

UGSP00419_m.jpg

Baldwin - toppled by the press.

Last edited:

The History of the Conservative Party, David Briggs
Following Baldwin’s resignation from his post as leader of the opposition, the Conservative Party began the traumatic experience of selecting a new head. Many of the leading stars of the party held views approaching those of Beaverbrook and Rothermere – among them office-holders from the previous Tory government such as former Home Secretary William Joynson-Hicks, Leo Amery – who had held the office of Secretary of State for the Colonies – and Neville Chamberlain, son of arch-imperialist Joseph. Opposing these tariff supporters were a sizeable proportion of the backbench party, led by the most prominent – and eloquent – free-trader, Winston Churchill. Selecting a leader in the face of such rapidly opening divisions was no easy task, and attempts were soon made to find a compromise candidate acceptable to both sides.

Transcript of a Speech by Winston Churchill to members of the Conservative Party, March 1931
Large views always triumph over small ideas. Broad economic principles always in the end defeat the sharp devices of expediency; science is better than sleight of hand; justice outwits intrigues; free imports can contend with hostile tariffs; honesty is, in fact, the policy that pays the best.

My belief is that no combination or hardly any combination which can grow up in a Free Trade country under natural conditions can be seriously injurious to the public welfare. But the combinations which grow up in great protected countries, where they have bribed the Legislature, obtain the right to fleece the public, to charge their own people what they like. The monopolies and combinations which grow up on an illicit tariff advantage - these are the combinations which are injurious.

Suppose these gentlemen-and they are very distinguished persons, and the whole of this great agitation depends on what they say [laughter], suppose they are right (I admit it is a great effort of imagination), suppose that by a stroke of the pen all this vast wealth can really be secured for Britain, then I say the plan holds good everywhere else too. I say it is just as true for India as for Canada, if it be true that foreign goods displace British labour, it is not less true that British goods displace Indian labour. [Hear, hear.] If it be economically wise for England to shut out foreign imported manufactures, it must be economically wise for India to shut out British imported manufactures.

Beaverbrook’s Crusade, by George Surman
It was vital for the Tories that they selected a candidate able to rally support for the party going into the Westminster St George’s by-election in late March – this was incredibly difficult, as Baldwin’s resignation had left just two weeks before a vote which at the time, quite rightly, was seen as critical for the future direction and prosperity of the Conservative Party. It was eventually agreed that Austen Chamberlain would take temporary control of the party. Having withdrawn his candidacy for the leadership in 1911 to maintain party unity, A. Chamberlain now found himself in the opposite position – and he was convinced to return from his retirement following the defeat of Baldwin’s government – in which he had served as Foreign Secretary. By selecting a man known for his willingness to compromise for the good of the Conservative cause, as well as his roots in the tariff movement of the early twentieth century, the Conservatives were attempting to appease – at least in the short term – both wings of the party, through the advancement of a tariff sympathiser on a platform of party unity.

The 1931 Election, by Jane Gleadson
Beaverbrook and Rothermere were placed in an awkward position by the selection of Austen Chamberlain as leader of the Conservatives – a candidate who had been selected partly to appeal to supporters of their United Empire Party. After several clandestine meetings, the full details of which are only now coming to light, it was decided that the UEP would contest the Westminster St George’s by-election after all – in direct opposition to the Conservative candidate. Sensing that the Conservatives were simply paying lip service to the idea of preferential tariffs, the press barons determined to force a greater level of commitment to their scheme for the Empire – they had scented blood, and now closed in for the kill.

Timeline

5th March 1931 – Stanley Baldwin, twice Prime Minister, steps down as Conservative leader.

11th March 1931 – Austen Chamberlain becomes head of the Conservative Party and Leader of the Opposition.

13th March 1931 – The Daily Mail announces that the United Empire candidate for Westminster St George’s will stand in the forthcoming by-election in opposition to the newly selected conservative candidate, Duff Cooper.

UGSP00416_m.jpg

Chamberlain - A stabilising force?

A party dedicated to making the empire come closer?

Austen Chamberlain leads the Conservatives?

A chance of no Appeasement?

Sign me up Tom but Flying

Awesome, but what'll they do about the Canadians? (It's my understanding that the Canadians were always opposed to Imperial Preference because they wanted freer trade with the US)

Awesome, but what'll they do about the Canadians? (It's my understanding that the Canadians were always opposed to Imperial Preference because they wanted freer trade with the US)

At this stage the Canadoan government was still pro-Imperial Preference, as were, allegedly, most Canadians - the US hadn't yet succeeded in bullying them out of it.

Mackenzie King was a closet pro-American (what else to expect from a former Rockefeller aide and Harvard professor ;)) though always playing the nationalist card. Why do you think he came within an inch of ratifying free trade with the US in 1946, 42 years earlier than OTL? Or King-Byng in 1926 which gave him ample ammo to strafe the pro-Imperialist Tories. The Liberals were nationalistic yet pro-American while the Tories were pro-Imperial. The British were not happy at all with Bennett's grandstanding at the Ottawa Conference of 1931.

Thanks for the responses! The Britain-Dominion relationship will definitely play an important role in this.

Extract from a speech to the House of Commons by Stanley Baldwin, 14th March 1931

The policy of Imperial Preference is not a new one. It is more than 40 years since it was first proposed at an Imperial Conference, and it is now 27 years since Mr. Joseph Chamberlain, in 1903, embarked on his great campaign of Tariff Reform. To many of us—possibly many of us in this House—that year dates our first active participation in politics.
[FONT=&quot]…
[/FONT] I remember very well the enthusiasm with which I, as a young man, agreed with those proposals, because they seemed to me at that time, in my ignorance—to cut right across all the party predilections of the day, and I hoped we might have seen some new enthusiastic Imperial party. I remember the first time that my hopes were dashed. I was walking in the morning with my father, who was coming down to the House. We met an old Member of the House of Commons, an old Member of the Tory party, who was a great friend of ours. He had not embraced the propaganda of Mr. Chamberlain, and he said to me, "What do you think of it?" I, with the enthusiasm of youth, said, "It is the party of the future," and he said, "A very distant future."

Daily Mail Headline, 17th March 1931
NO HALF MEASURES – VOTE UNITED, NOT UNDECIDED

United Empire: Contexts and Consequences, by Steven Johnson
The mobilisation of the Beaverbrook-Rothermere press machine for the Westminster St George’s marked a new stage in the political history of the nation. Never before had the full weight of the Daily Mail and other publications been directed with the same ferocity and drive – never before had so much rested on a by-election.

Extract from a speech by Lord Beaverbrook, 17th March 1931
The true conception of the British Empire is that it is not static, but that it is developing and growing always. It can develop in the direction of closer fiscal union until the old legal bonds are replaced by stronger material bonds of economic association. It can, on the other hand, develop, as Cobden foresaw it would, on the lines of loosening those bonds until the Empire is wholly disintegrated, until the chances we have let slide are gone beyond recall.

If we are adamant in our refusal, and if in our blindness we cling to the outworn shibboleths of Free Trade; if we prefer to the possibilities of a united Empire the chances of an Election Party cry that "your food will cost you more," then indeed the disintegration of the Empire must inevitably follow.

Results of the 19th March by-election in Westminster St George’s
Conservative Party [Duff Cooper] – 14,571 votes
United Empire Party [Gerald Stamp] – 14,203 votes
Conservative Party Candidate elected by a majority of 368 votes.

The History of the Conservative Party, David Briggs
Duff Cooper had already made his mark in parliament, delivering a glittering maiden speech upon his first election to the Commons in 1924. A staunch Baldwin supporter, he had lost his seat in the Labour victory of 1929. For his attempted return to parliament, Cooper could count on the support of a whole range of ‘celebrity’ free-trade Conservative speakers, who descended on Westminster St George’s in the run-up to the election. These included Winston Churchill, who famously made a speech in the constituency on the same day as Lord Beaverbrook addressed supporters of the UEP.

Although the Conservative Party, and Cooper’s, victory on 19th March allayed immediate fears of party breakdown, the close nature of the result convinced Beaverbrook and Rothermere to continue UEP activity. Furthermore, the often bitter tone of the campaign had led to a hardening of attitudes on both sides and certain members of the Conservative parliamentary party were soon loudly voicing their pro-tariff views. This result was perhaps the worst thing that could have happened for the Tories – United Empire was not brought back into the Tory fold, nor had they been decisively defeated. Not until the next general election would the full consequences of this become clear.

Timeline

13th - 18th March 1931 - Campaigning steps up for both the Conservative and UEP candidates, with speeches by supporters dominating the national press.

19th March 1931 - Duff Cooper is elected Member of Parliament for the constituency of Westminster St George's by a small majority.

duff_cooper.jpg

Duff Cooper - his personal popularity and high-profile support won the by-election, but more would be needed to reunite the right.

Wait what was Austen Chamberlain's view on Free Trade

Austen Chamberlain led the tariff reform campaign in the early 1900s after Joseph Chamberlain's stroke but he also demonstrated numerous times that he was willing to step back from his own views to help the party - he is pro-empire trade, but I don't think he would have liked the way the press barons were attempting to bring it about!

I'm guessing Statue of Westminister isn't going to take off due to the pressure from the UEP and the new Prime Minister

How many seats does the UEP hold?

Can Austen Chamberlains monocle fire lasers :D

Last edited:
I am very interested in seeing how this TL develops.

The Labour Party would be pleased with the trouble in the Conservative Party and the majority of only 368 for Duff Cooper in the Westminster, St. Georges constituency. So far they had been doing reasonably well in by-elections for an incumbent party. They had lost only two by-elections - Fulham, West on 6 May 1930 and Yorkshire, Shipley on 6 November 1930 - both to the Conservatives, but these were marginal seats with Labour majorities of 6.2% and 11.2% respectively in the May 1929 general election.

In the Islington, East by-election on 19 February 1931, the Labour vote fell by only 3.3 percent from 38.0% to 34.7%. The Liberal vote collapsed from 27.9% to 14.6%.

In OTL the result of the Westminster St. George's by-election was:

Duff Cooper (Conservative) 17,242
Sir Ernest Petter (Independent Conservative) 11,532
Conservative majority 5,710.

So in this TL there was a transfer of about 2,770 votes from the Conservatives to UEP.

Also on 19 March 1931 in OTL in the Glamorgan, Pontypridd by-election the Labour vote increased from 53.1% to 59.9%, the Liberal vote fell from 36.8% to 24.2% and the Conservative vote increased from 10.1% to 15.9%.

An interesting by-election coming up is in the double-member Sunderland constituency on 26 March 1931 caused by the death of one of the Labour members. It was gained by the Conservatives in the by-election but with a majority of only 0.5% over Labour.

How about Ramsay MacDonald calling a general election for late April/early May 1931? He could argue that Labour needs a overall majority in the House of Commons rather than being dependent on an unreliable Liberal Party? He would benefit by the split on the Right between the Conservatives and UEP and the fall in Liberal support as shown in by-elections.

I am very interested in seeing how this TL develops.

Thanks, I'm slowly working my way through yours - interesting how they both start with Baldwin resigning from something. :D

The Sunderland by-election will probably go quite differently to OTL, I'll have to have a read about the position of the Labour party by March 1931. An election before the May Report is something I will definitely consider though.

@ Blackadder: Yeah the Statute of Westminster will be a very contentious issue. I should have made in clearer though, the general election hasn't happened yet - the last TL was dealing only with the by-election. In OTL the general election occurred in October 1931, the UEP had, before they were reintegrated into the conservative party, promised to put a candidate up to face every free-trade tory (at least 50). Their greater success ITTL may mean they make an even bigger bid for seats.

Another point which I'll need to work on - Oswald Mosley. I have a plan for him (a non-cliche one hopefully!) In OTL he formed his New Party to fight at the 1931 election, 24 candidates but no seats won.

I'm not sure about lasers, but it does make him the most aristocratic-looking person in history!

History of the Labour Party, by Jermaine Grandison
The election of the Labour Government in 1929 coincided with an economic depression and MacDonald was faced with the problem of growing unemployment. In January 1929, 1,433,000 people were out of work, a year later it reached 1,533,000. By March 1930, the figure was 1,731,000. In June it reached 1,946,000 and by the end of the year it reached a staggering 2,725,000. That month MacDonald invited a group of economists to discuss this problem. However, he rejected all those ideas that involved an increase in public spending. In a debate in the House of Commons on 28th May 1930, MacDonald argued that the rise in unemployment was caused by factors outside the government's control. In March 1931 MacDonald asked Sir George May to form a committee to look into Britain's economic problems.

Results of the 30th April by-election in Ashton-Under-Lyne
Conservative Party [John Broadbent] – 10,582 votes
Labour [J.W Gordon] – 11,622
The New Party [Allan Young] – 5,693 votes
Labour Party Candidate elected by a majority of 1,040 votes.

Ramsay MacDonald: Labour’s First Prime Minister, by Peter Thompson
MacDonald was convinced by the Labour by-election success at Ashton-Under-Lyme, which his fellow ministers had privately feared would end in Conservative victory, to bring forward plans to hold a general election in the summer of 1931. The increasing signs of division within the Conservative Party no doubt played an important role in the decision, with MacDonald attempting to capitalise on the strains caused by the free-trade/tariff debate, raging fiercely through all levels of the opposition. It is also possible that MacDonald, realising the dire financial state of the country, was determined to force another election before the true impact of the economic crisis became apparent to the general public.

Extract from a speech by Ramsay MacDonald, May 1931
In the present disastrous condition of trade it seems to me that the crisis requires big Socialist measures. We ought to be demonstrating to the country the alternatives to economy and protection. Our value as a Government today should be to make people realise that Socialism is that alternative.

Extract from correspondence from Austen Chamberlain to Neville Chamberlain, 5th May 1931
Father’s legacy will come about, but not through the actions of a band of blackmailing charlatans.

Extract from a speech by Neville Chamberlain to Conservative Party Activists, 6th May 1931
Therefore, in light of recent events, I will indicate some of the matters to which I believe the Conservative Party should give their attention should we be elected. I say: Tariffs, expansion of exports and contraction of imports, commercial treaties and mutual economic arrangements with the Dominions are to be our major priority.

The current economic climate necessitates a plan which will be flexible and elastic, a plan which can readily be varied and adapted to suit changing conditions, a plan which will allow, first one element and then another element, to come forward according as the balance of advantage lies on this side or on that – the current economic climate necessitates the protection of Britain and the Empire!

Daily Mail Headline, 8th May 1931
NEVILLE KNOWS BEST

Parties and Groupings of the 1931 Election
The National Coalition: Made up of the breakaway National Conservatives, National Liberals who supported the introduction of tariffs, the United Empire Party led by Lord Beaverbrook, and Oswald Mosley’s New Party.

The Trade Coalition: Encompassed the Conservatives led by Austen Chamberlain and the remainder of the conventional Liberal Party, led by Sir Herbert Samuel.

Labour: Led by Ramsay MacDonald.

Other: Including Northern Irish nationalists etc.

Timeline

30th April 1931 – The Conservative Party fails to dislodge Labour in the Ashton-under-Lyne by-election. The election sees the first appearance at the polls of Oswald Mosley’s New Party, formed following Mosley’s resignation from the Labour Party.

2nd May 1931 – Prime Minister Ramsay MacDonald calls a General Election, which will be held in six weeks time.

6th May 1931 – Neville Chamberlain makes a speech denouncing what he sees as the timid response of the Conservative Party to recent events.

7th May 1931 – N. Chamberlain announces that a faction of the Conservatives will fight the election as National Conservatives, on a platform of tariff introduction.

chamberlain1.jpg

'A vain and selfish man' - Neville Chamberlain imagined himself as the saviour of the Conservatives, and Britain.

I have never heard or seen the words 'Neville knows best.' when referring to Chamberlain.

I have the sneaking suspision Mosley is going to effect the United Empire Party.:p:p:p

This is sooo awesome I can't wait until they face Hitler, even if the UEP aren't in power with a Germaphobic prime minister (Austen Chamberlain because I will be damned if Labour wins the election).:cool::cool::cool:

Please go beyond World War 2 that would make this TL reach 'Santa and Churchill cure cancer' levels of awesome?;););)

I have never heard or seen the words 'Neville knows best.' when referring to Chamberlain.

I have the sneaking suspision Mosley is going to effect the United Empire Party.:p:p:p

This is sooo awesome I can't wait until they face Hitler, even if the UEP aren't in power with a Germaphobic prime minister (Austen Chamberlain because I will be damned if Labour wins the election).:cool::cool::cool:

Please go beyond World War 2 that would make this TL reach 'Santa and Churchill cure cancer' levels of awesome?;););)

Thanks, Mosley won't be playing a massive role [I don't want it to turn into another Mosley as PM TL], but I think as one of the important characters of the 30s his part in all this needs to be explored, so he will appear a bit. :D

I'm looking forward to writing the foreign policy parts very much!