Для славы для величия гегемония Новгород

Hello fellow members of AH. I have been a long time lurker on this board. This is my first tl so plz be kind. I have read many amazing timelines on this site. I hope to be a great addition to your community.

In this tl the battle of Shenlon river ends in a crushing defeat for Muscovy. Basically Ivan dies at this battle, and with him dead and the Muscovites completely routed, civil war overtakes Moscow. This greatly weakens Moscow allowing Novgorod to retake Moscow. Enjoy this tl.:) Comments are appreciated as well.

Shenlon River July 14th, 1471

Archbishop elect of Novgorod Dmitry Isakevich stared out at the pathetic Muscovite army. With aid from most of Europe Novgorod assembled an army of 30000 strong troops while the Muscovites only had 5000. On this day Ivan III decided to participate in this battle to crush the Novrossyans personally. The two forces met on the left bank of the Shenlon River. The Archbishop stared at the pitiful army of Muscovites. Pskov mercenaries whom he deemed more terrifying aided the Muscovites. However before the battle the Dimitry convinced the archbishop to focus the army on the main muscovite force. Dimitry and 10000 Novrossyan Boyars awaited in the forests to the north of the River. The battle began.

Ivan saw the Archbishop and his force. He had been told the Archbishop had 30000troops but it turned out that he had far less. This was quite strange indeed. Suddenly the archbishop launched an all out assault on the Pskov mercenaries, seizing this opportunity Ivan ordered his troops to invade the exposed flank of the Novrossyans. This proved to be a fatal mistake, seizing the opportunity Dimitry and the 10000 Boyars charged out of the forest and onto Ivan’s exposed flank. The Muscovites were caught completely by surprise as the two armies clashed fiercely. Ivan tried to rally his troops but all was futile. The archbishop was finally given breathing space as he destroyed the Pskov mercenaries, and wit them gone the muscovite force was surrounded. Ivan saw grimly at the scene but he would not surrender. He charged at the oncoming Novrossyan soldiers and it was said in the annals of Novgorod that Ivan fought fiercely, yet it was to no avail. A Novrossyan spearmen stabbed Ivan in the heart and the great warrior fell from his horse as he fell on the floor. Ivan lost his life instantly and the warrior moved no more. The Muscovites were shocked that their leader was dead soon broke ranks and the battle turned to a complete route. The battle ended with 4000 Muscovites dead, and only 3000 Novrossyan troops were killed. A complete and utter victory

Back in Moscow news reached the Moscow Boyars about the death of Ivan. The Boyars grew incredibly angry, the so-called king led them into a war they could not win and soon revolted against the royal family. The young prince Ivan was murdered. Soon chaos gripped the lands of Muscovite as various Boyars raised private armies to fight each other for supremacy. In this manner the royal treasury of Muscovy was drained financially. With the death of Ivan the Muscovites broke into bitter civil war. Now normally such a war would not be disastrous except the Muscovites essentially destroyed themselves. Roving bands of Mercenaries terrorized and pillaged the countryside while armies put to death whole towns and burned anything and everything that moved.

Dimitry triumphantly entered Novgorod where the Novgorod merchants who declared him to be a hero praised him. The Archbishop of Novgorod personally proclaimed Dimitry and his greatness. But Dimitry was not satisfied, he faced he noble counsel the true leaders of Novgorod and gave a speech that would make him immortal. “ People of Novgorod I come to you to inform you that we are in trouble. The Duchies of Muscovy and Tver have taken our grain source and are starving our people. They want to destroy us. However believe in me, I have seen a vision. Last night our holy lord came before me in my dreams and he proclaimed oh holy son of Novgorod Muscovy lies in chaos the heretics of Muscovy have greatly angered me, if you wish to prevent the downfall of Novgorod lead your men to Muscovy, you have the blessings of god for victory. SO I say to you, let me lead the army to Moscow, Moscow must fall, God wills it!!!!” This speech completely stunned the Council who quickly agreed at the archbishops urging. SO the 25000-man army of Novrossyans marched for Moscow led by the newly proclaimed Prince of Novgorod Dimitry.

The Novrossians soon invaded Moscow, but they met little resistance, the people of the lands around Muscovy were half starved, what they faced were peasant rabble. The civil war had taken its toll on Muscovy, soon the novossyans met little resistance as city after city fell to Novgorod. Finally Dimitry arrived at the capitol Muscovy and was shocked at what he saw. Muscovy had become a mere shadow of its former glory as peasants huddled in the streets, virtually no resistance was give to the Novgorod soldiers. Just recently Muscovy had been sacked by a rich Boyar who executed the remnants of the royal family, he stole all the loot from Moscow to bring to his fiefdom. So Moscow surrendered o Novgorod. With Moscow taken the Muscovites lost all heart and within 5 years all of Muscovy lay in Novrossyan hands and soon it was annexed. Dimitry returned to Novgorod a hero and the savior of the Rus. With Muscovy gone the major threat to Novgorod was averted, but trouble was brewing.

Sweden had already launched 17attacks on Novgorod and now was amassing an army. Dimitr’s final challenge before securing power was to defeat the Swedes. Novgorod faced off against its most bitter rival.

So guys tell me what you think. Is it any good.:D

Oooooh, this looks fascinating, I will definitely be keeping close tabs on this. I'm a big fan of the Republic of Novgorod, and it will be interesting to see how they develop. It may take some time for Russia to be unified, if it gets unified at all.

Oooooh, this looks fascinating, I will definitely be keeping close tabs on this. I'm a big fan of the Republic of Novgorod, and it will be interesting to see how they develop. It may take some time for Russia to be unified, if it gets unified at all.

I agree but I have the rough outline sketched out. Also Novgorod is in a terrible position at this time. Their main threat is Sweden. What I plan to do is have the Swedes be crushed by Novgorod. As you know by this time the Golden horde has fallen apart into various Khanites. Basically Novgorod deals with the Khanites in the same way Muscovy dealt with them. The only difference is that instead of an absoulute Monarchy we have a democratic republic of Russia:eek::eek:

I agree but I have the rough outline sketched out. Also Novgorod is in a terrible position at this time. Their main threat is Sweden. What I plan to do is have the Swedes be crushed by Novgorod. As you know by this time the Golden horde has fallen apart into various Khanites. Basically Novgorod deals with the Khanites in the same way Muscovy dealt with them. The only difference is that instead of an absoulute Monarchy we have a democratic republic of Russia:eek::eek:
I think there'd be fairly more differences than Russia merely being democratic instead of imperial.

I think there'd be fairly more differences than Russia merely being democratic instead of imperial.

I know but I just wanted to point out one shocking fact.:) yup Novgorod focused more on trade so in this tl expect the Novrossyans to focus on the baltics. Also expect them to focus on getting warm water ports. So unlike otl where Russia expanded to the east here Novgorod expands to the south into the bosphoros. Also unlike Otl no succestion crisis will befall Novgorod due to it's democratically elected heads. Which means no time of troubles:eek: plus we do not have the absoulutist regime of the Tsars, and millions do not die and Serfdom never becomes widespread. :eek:

So we have a potential republican Russia (though it won't remove Russian expansion), and one where the center of power is Novgorod.

So we have a potential republican Russia (though it won't remove Russian expansion), and one where the center of power is Novgorod.

Excactly. Also like I pointed out earlier Russia does not expand into the east, instead it targets the Black sea and the med for the lucrative med trade and access to warm water ports.:)

Excactly. Also like I pointed out earlier Russia does not expand into the east, instead it targets the Black sea and the med for the lucrative med trade and access to warm water ports.:)

And you've also butterflied away Ivan the Terrible, whose defeat of the Sibir khanate paved the way for Russian expansion in the east.

And you've also butterflied away Ivan the Terrible, whose defeat of the Sibir khanate paved the way for Russian expansion in the east.

yup, so this means the Khanites will last much longer than otl. However I pity the Balkans. Expect Russia to be even more focused on the Balkans due to the Slavs. Plus Novgorod being a merchant empire needs trade with the med, and with all the various states in the Balkans at those time. Remember Athens, Morea, Moldavia, Wallachia, Montegno, Albania, and Ragusa are still around, so this gives the Russians juicy targets ripe for the picking. Which means in this tl expect the Russians to fight in constant warfare with the Ottoman empire for supremacy in the Balkans.:eek:

yup, so this means the Khanites will last much longer than otl. However I pity the Balkans. Expect Russia to be even more focused on the Balkans due to the Slavs. Plus Novgorod being a merchant empire needs trade with the med, and with all the various states in the Balkans at those time. Remember Athens, Morea, Moldavia, Wallachia, Montegno, Albania, and Ragusa are still around, so this gives the Russians juicy targets ripe for the picking. Which means in this tl expect the Russians to fight in constant warfare with the Ottoman empire for supremacy in the Balkans.:eek:

Eh, Pan-Slavism wasn't really popular until later on.

Eh, Pan-Slavism wasn't really popular until later on.

Really? Well that still does not matter much because in this tl Novgorod wants to trade and grow rich, so the will expand into the Balkans and will inevetably fight the Ottomans due to the Ottomans refusals to give up their spheres of Influence in the Balkans without a fight.

Really? Well that still does not matter much because in this tl Novgorod wants to trade and grow rich, so the will expand into the Balkans and will inevetably fight the Ottomans due to the Ottomans refusals to give up their spheres of Influence in the Balkans without a fight.

Not really - as long as they have a warm water port in the Black Sea then they'll be satisfied with annexing the Crimean Khanate. True, they'll still be fighting the Ottomans a lot, but I don't see them trying to gain Balkan hegemony.

Not really - as long as they have a warm water port in the Black Sea then they'll be satisfied with annexing the Crimean Khanate. True, they'll still be fighting the Ottomans a lot, but I don't see them trying to gain Balkan hegemony.

Ok I understand:) Anyway I personally think Novgorod will focus a lot more on the Baltic nations of Sweden, Denmark, Norway, and the Hanse. Mainly because from these people Novgorod faces fierce competition. Expect anovgorod to build up a powerful navy to protect it's shipping routes.

Ok I understand:) Anyway I personally think Novgorod will focus a lot more on the Baltic nations of Sweden, Denmark, Norway, and the Hanse. Mainly because from these people Novgorod faces fierce competition. Expect anovgorod to build up a powerful navy to protect it's shipping routes.

Correct. Novgorod still faces to the Baltic at this point.

Correct. Novgorod still faces to the Baltic at this point.
Ty for the advice. In the next update I will talk more about the Swedish invasion. The funney part is did you know Sweden tried invading Novgorod 17 times all ending in failure:p you'd think they would learn their lesson. So basically my next part deals with Swedish defeat in the coming war. One awesome fact in this tl is that the Teutonic order survives!!!! Mainly because Novgorod does not want PlC to get too powerful and cut of the valuable trade so they back the order:);)

"Для славы для величия гегемония Новгород"

Dl? slav?? Dl? velichi? gegemoni? Novgorod

That's the best I can do to transliterate that; some Cyrillic is easier for me to remember than others--I think the vowels especially throw me, also the various variations of ch, sh, shch, etc!

So that's something like "Novgorodian hegemony over the Slavs", right?

I'll hold off on how plausible all this will be--seems OK so far but how far can they go, what with Mongols swooping in from the East and all that? But it does look like it might go somewhere, so count me in.

"Для славы для величия гегемония Новгород"

Dl? slav?? Dl? velichi? gegemoni? Novgorod

That's the best I can do to transliterate that; some Cyrillic is easier for me to remember than others--I think the vowels especially throw me, also the various variations of ch, sh, shch, etc!

So that's something like "Novgorodian hegemony over the Slavs", right?

I'll hold off on how plausible all this will be--seems OK so far but how far can they go, what with Mongols swooping in from the East and all that? But it does look like it might go somewhere, so count me in.

Um this is after the Tatar invasion. In this tl Ivan dies and the Muscovites get completly routed at Shenlon. Thus civil war racks Moscow and nivgorod siezes the oppurtunity to eliminate it's main rival. Also the translation is correct you were close it mean for glory for greatness Novgorod Hegemony. So you were mostly right:)

I know but I just wanted to point out one shocking fact.:) yup Novgorod focused more on trade so in this tl expect the Novrossyans to focus on the baltics. Also expect them to focus on getting warm water ports. So unlike otl where Russia expanded to the east here Novgorod expands to the south into the bosphoros. Also unlike Otl no succestion crisis will befall Novgorod due to it's democratically elected heads. Which means no time of troubles:eek: plus we do not have the absoulutist regime of the Tsars, and millions do not die and Serfdom never becomes widespread. :eek:

Republican Novgorod still had succession crises.