ΙCΑΡΝΟΝΑΡΙΟΙ - The Lords of Iron

Introduction
ΙCΑΡΝΟΝΑΡΙΟΙ
The Lords of Iron
-
History of the Galatians and the Oikouménē where Hannibal defeated Rome
-
INTRODUCTION

Ancient Gaul was for a long time a terra incognita, something that was barely worth mention except to highlight what Rome, the civilization, was.
Strangely, it’s not because ancients scholars weren’t interested : Celts, and particularly Gauls, were one of the four corners of the known world for Greeks, who negotiated with their princes in exchange for tin and wine.

But what Greeks as Poseidonios, Romans as Caesar, had to say about Gaulish society and development was ignored.
Nevertheless, archaeology and re-evaluation of literary sources increased our knowledge and appreciation of ancient Gaul a tenfold in the last decades.
We can now have a glimpse of a developed and complex civilization, benefiting from Mediterranean influences, but still its own original creation.

Still, there is much uncertainty, in no small part due to the fact Gauls didn’t wrote down their history, and their defeat meant their institutions, religions and way-of-life disappeared in mere generations. Many of my choices may be based on historical red herrings, but there’s no escaping this.
I propose you, modestly, to look at window to what-could-have-been, in the light of knowledge, hypothesis, and speculation. I hope you’ll enjoy it.

May Sucellos, the striker, take his mallet for me, and allows me a glimpse of the world below and to listen to the rumors of its dwellers, as there is no longer druids in this world to carry on their knowledge.

May Lougous, master of all the arts, teaches me how to write the best and not the worst, as there is no longer vates in this world to interpret the signs for me.

May Belenos, the bright, gives me inspiration and knowledge, as there is no longer bards in this world to teach me how to reach the hearth of men.

-​

This timeline, while unfolding from a Point of Divergence happening outside Gaul as Romans have to surrender to Carthaginians and their allies, will be focused on the region between Atlantic and Alps, Rhine and Pyrenees; as Gauls themselves might have thought their political horizon.

I’ll try to update regularly this timeline, at least twice per month, with allohistorical updates (mostly focused on Gaul, but from time to time explaining what happens in the wider world), maps, graphics or cultural updates.
Still, I’d want this to become as well as a space for discussion : not only because it’d be thanks to you wondering, questioning or debating that I’ll have ideas or a clearer idea of the development; but as well because it would be rather a nice way to complete the regular updates with new details or explanations.

I'd want to address my special thanks to @Atamolos and @RiseofBubblez for their help, and to everyone that mentioned their interest for this TL and supported it.
LSCatilina
Gauls
- The ancient paths, Craig Hil
- Armements et auxiliaires gaulois, Lionel Pernet
- Bibracte et les Eduens : à la découverte d'un peuple gaulois, Christian Goudinau
- La Celtique Méditerranénne, Dominique Garcia
- Les Celtes, Histoire et Dictionnare, Venceslas Kruta
- Les Celtes de Gaule méditerranéenne. Définition et caractérisation, Dominique Garcia
- Des philosophes chez les Barbares, Jean-Louis Brunaux
- Dictionnaire de la langue gauloise, Xavier Delmarre
- Dictionnaire Français-Gaulois, Jean-Paul Savignac
- Equality, inequality, and the problem of ‘‘Elites” in late Iron Age Eastern Languedoc, Benjamin P. Luley
- Gaulish personal names, Ellis Evans
- Les Gaulois du Midi, Michel Py
- La Langue Gauloise, Pierre-Yves Lambert
- L'hellénisation du Languedoc méditerranéen et du Roussillon jusqu'à la conquête romaine, Hubert Gallet de Santerre
- Histoire des Gaules, Christine Delaplace & Jérôme France
- Les aventures d'Astérix le Gaulois, René Goscinny, Albert Uderzo​
- Peuplement et Territoires protohistoriques du VIIIe au Ier siècle avant J.-C. en Languedoc oriental, Laure Nuninger
- La Politique des Gaulois, vie politique et institutions en Gaule chevelue (IIème siècle avant notre ère - 70), Emmanuel Arbabe
- Le port de Lattara : premiers acquis sur les phases préromaines et romaines, Dominique Garcia
- Les noms d'origine gauloise, La Gaule des activités économiques, Jacques Lacroix
- Les peuples gaulois, Stephan Fichtl
- Les religions gauloises, Jean-Louis Brunaux
- Les royaumes celtiques, Miles Dylon, Christian-Joseph Guyonvarc'h, Francoise le Roux
- Religion et société en Gaule, Christian Goudinau, Dominique Garcia, Bernard Lambot
- Rome's ennemies, Gallic and British Celts, Peter Wilcow, Angus McBride
- Les Salyens dans les textes historiques grecs, Didier Pralon
- La Société celtique, Christian-Joseph Guyonvarc'h, Francoise le Roux
- L'univers spirituel des Gaulois, art, religion et philosophie, Jean-Louis Brunaux
- Vercingétorix, Jean-Louis Brunaux
- Vercingétorix, chef de guerre, Alain Deyber​

Other Celts (Brittons, Celtiberians, etc.), Germans and Iberians
- Celtic Linguistics, Readings in the Brythonic Languages
- Celtic Warrior,
Stephen Allen, Wayne Reynolds
- Etymological Glossary of Old Welsh, Alexander Falileyev
- The Forts of Celtic Britain, Angus Konstam, Peter Bull
- Rome's ennemies, Spanish armies, Rafael Trevino, Angus McBride​

Carthage, Rome and Italy
- Between Rome and Carthage, Southern Italy during the Second Punic War, Michael P. Fronda
- Carthage, Khaled Melliti
- Carthage must be destroyed, the Rise and Fall of an Ancient Mediterranean Civilization, Allan Lane
- Cannae 216 BC, Hannibal smashes Rome's army, Mark Healy
- The Crisis of Rome, The Jugurthine and Northern Wars and the Rise of Marius, Gareth C. Sampson
- The Carthaginians, Dexter Hoyos
- Grand Atlas de l'Antiquité Romaine, Christophe Badel, Hervé Inglebert
- Illyricum in Roman politics, Danijel Dzino
- The Punic Wars 264-146 BC, Nigel Bagnall
- Tarentine Hoseman of Magna Graecia, Nic Fields, Sean O'Brogain​

Last edited:
Prologue : Baracasid Peace
PROLOGUE : THE BARACASID PEACE

Eurasteos of Syracuse
The Wars of the Romans - Book VI

After the victory of Cannae, things unfolded as both sides predicted or feared. Carthaginians were master of all the part of Italy that is called the old and great Greece. Taras were the first to surrender as most of Campania, motivated by fear or desire of freedom, called Annibas *as an ally.
As for the rest of the aforementioned region, his inhabitants even loyal to Rome expected Carthaginians to occupy them and some of them were inclined to let them doing so.
Romans themselves were at the height of their misfortune, having lost not only their hegemony on Italians but fearing the fall of their city, thinking the enemy would loose no time to come to their walls.

Thus thought as well most of Carthaginians' army. Maharbal,the chief of his cavalry, passionless asked the general to rush to Rome; and Annibas answered to their words, but not their prayer. His first action was to stay on the place of his triumph, amazing his men that said of him that his good fortune had stunned him and forced his fate although Baraca only prepared his next move.
Indeed the decision eventually belonged to the Romans and when they heard that their army in Insobria was irremediably defeated and its commander Lucius Manlius Vulso was killed, the Romans from a people became a mob. The Senate managed to calm them only at great expense, making them see that the state was in great danger but that its survival depended on their shoulder and discipline.

And then Annibas demonstrated that his skill in war was matched by the general’s keen politic talent. He sent ambassadors to Rome, with the mission to negotiate about what would happen to the many prisoners he took. But they were trusted as well to see if Rome was willing to finally make peace as it was at his reach.
He sent two men trusted of the Carthaginians, Carthalo and Gisco, officers and diplomats of great skill although Gisco was a better negotiator and a friend of the Annids.

When they arrived near Rome, Annibas moved at least his forces towards the southern coast. Not in the hope to confront again their army, neither to besiege the city as he lacked equipment, but to impress its inhabitants and force their decision.
And the Senate, that wanted first to refuse to hear the proposal of the Carthaginians, was forced to hear them, as they couldn’t find a man in Rome that didn’t despaired of the elongation of this conflict.

Without Carthalo’s knowledge, Gisco freed some renowned prisoners before he encountered the Senators, as a show of good faith but telling them that Carthaginians wanted a good peace and that Romans wouldn’t benefit from new years of war.
Gisco was accused later that his concerns on Annibas’ power constant growth took the better of him and his mission, but there is little doubt in Africa now that he had the well-being of the state at heart, and that his action regardless of its intent helped winning a fruitful outcome.
Indeed, when the delegation came to Rome, with Annibas’ army not just behind them but too close for the Romans, these already knew of the terms proposed and once again threatened to storm the state if they were to be refused.

Marcus Fabius Bueto, that was chosen as dictator at this time which is the supreme magistrate of the Romans, preferred to ask the Senate to agree or not, as himself refused to presides on the defeat while he saw no issue between Carthaginian triumph and the despair of his own people.

In addition of the ransom and the famed tribute the Senate agreed to, and the loss of the provinces they took from Carthage in the previous war, Rome lost most of its dominance in Italy.
The allies of of the new victors were already freed of Romans and the people of Insôbres, because of their role in the war and seniority in the region, kept a high position in the region that took their name from this point onward.

While Capuan ambitions to become the first city in Italy were disappointed, Carthaginians forced Romans to leave the southern half of Italy and to acknowledge an independent league of cities there.
But Marcellus, which became dictator after Bueto, kept as much alliances in this league as he could, and while Carthaginians and Italian alike were aware of this, they weren’t able to root it out due to their own businesses and that because Annibas couldn’t convince Capu or other main cities of this league to agree to garrison his armies.

And thus, Rome was deprived of the allies and conquest her glory owed her and was forced to promise a large tribute and to never meddle in the affairs of Africa and Iberia. For this, Roman navy was forbidden to sail beyond the islands of Cyrnos and Iknoussa without Carthaginian’s permission.

* [Author's Note] Hannibal​

Last edited:
lRwpA7Y.png

Last edited:
Prologue : On time-keeping
PROLOGUE : ON TIME-KEEPING

Demenes the Libyan
Geography - Book II (fragments)

As for the peoples that lives in the west of the Great Sea, aside from the years of their ruler’s accession, them too use the Olympic style of spacing every four years between the celebrations, regardless of their regularity in reality.
Some alterations are noticeable, tough : in place of Homeric aeons, the inhabitants of Syracuse double their own reaching thus eighty years per aeon instead of forty. While it is told that it was by imitation of the Roman aeon this one last 100 years and another origin should be speculated.
Galatians, when they use the Olympic style, rather prefer their own aeon that last 30 years, as for religious purposes.

Two distinct and particularly present calendars are to be mentioned. Romans use the date of the foundation of their city which they exactly know and they favor it to the more current usage.
Iudais that settled in the isles kept the calendars of their homeland which begins from the date they claim the gods they worship created the world, and took great care to keep the years since then.

Pythic compute is unknown in these regions, although Alexandrine style is but unused.
Of all these calendars, Galatian and Carthaginian are the closest from these used by Greeks as they had twelve months from the beginning while Romans had ten.

[Notes from commentator : Demenes seems to ignore the Galatian use of intercalary months]​

This is exciting. Will the Galatians get literacy in this TL?
They did IOTL. Contrary to the old conception, Gauls (Galatians ITTL) did wrote a lot, in Gallo-Italic script (Although it's not really clear if Lepontic is a distinct Celtic language or an archaising variant of Gaulish), in Gallo-Greek script (essentially in south-eastern Gaul) and in Gallo-Latin script (especially after the conquest).
Celtiberians themselves used a Gallo-Iberic script.
We know a bit of Gaulish language, although not enough to entirely reconstitute it. Druidic influence frowned upon writing down complex concepts, but Gauls really wrote about administrative matters, dedications or plays (such as this cup on which is written NEĐĐAMON DELGU LINDA, roughly "I contain next ones' drink").

I prepared some updates about Gaulish language and Gallo-XXXX scripts, but not before we end with the prologue. Suffice to say that the title of the TL is in partially reconstructed Gaulish and using a particular script.

Excellent, very promising start, as it's only to be expected by someone so brilliant as the OP.

Will the focus be more on Transalpine or Cisalpine *Gaul?

That is a fantastic opening- though I think you're jumping between translations of names a bit in the Prologue (Hannibal/Annibas, Capua/Capu) - perhaps just use footnotes where necessary there?

Will the focus be more on Transalpine or Cisalpine *Gaul?
Both, at first.

That is a fantastic opening- though I think you're jumping between translations of names a bit in the Prologue (Hannibal/Annibas, Capua/Capu) - perhaps just use footnotes where necessary there?
Duly noted.

As for naming convention, I will go to some English-like transliteration of less or non-latinized names for obvious reasons, except for the more known name such as Carthaginians.
For instance, as for matte Gallic peoples:

*Gaulish - Greek - Latin - ITTL "metaEnglish"

Ar(e)uernoi - Arouernoi - Arverni - Arverns
Volcàs - Ouolkai - Volcae - Volcas
Sal(a)uIs - Salues - Salluvi - Salueis
Aiduoi - Aidoùoi - Aedui - Aidus?
Sekuanoi - ? - Sequani - Secuans

Deleted member 114175

Awesome start, I can't wait to see the Gallic confederations and hegemonies forming (probably not a unified Gallic kingdom for some centuries, I assume).

I also like that although Rome has been curbed by Carthage, it has not been destroyed so we can still see Roman society playing a role in this timeline. Well, until the conquest of Rome by Galatians in 44 BC, of course.

They did IOTL. Contrary to the old conception, Gauls (Galatians ITTL) did wrote a lot, in Gallo-Italic script (Although it's not really clear if Lepontic is a distinct Celtic language or an archaising variant of Gaulish), in Gallo-Greek script (essentially in south-eastern Gaul) and in Gallo-Latin script (especially after the conquest).
Celtiberians themselves used a Gallo-Iberic script.
We know a bit of Gaulish language, although not enough to entirely reconstitute it. Druidic influence frowned upon writing down complex concepts, but Gauls really wrote about administrative matters, dedications or plays (such as this cup on which is written NEĐĐAMON DELGU LINDA, roughly "I contain next ones' drink").

I prepared some updates about Gaulish language and Gallo-XXXX scripts, but not before we end with the prologue. Suffice to say that the title of the TL is in partially reconstructed Gaulish and using a particular script.
Could Gallo-Latin script still arise in the eastern parts of the Gallic world? There was usage of capital Latin script in the Boii kingdom, at least in the inscriptions on the Biatec coins, prior to Roman expansion north of the Alps. Granted, that occurred in a period of nonstop Roman ascendancy,... but I think a more peripheral Roman influence could make itself present, like the spread of Old Italic descended scripts across most of Europe.

Awesome start, I can't wait to see the Gallic confederations and hegemonies forming (probably not a unified Gallic kingdom for some centuries, I assume).
While you had the notion of Gaul (Galatia ITTL) as a geopolitical ensemble historically, it never went anywere close to the idea it was a nation. Hegemonies and regional/pan-Gallic assemblies (that I'll describe in a next update) never really put that in question in the same way that you didn't have a Greek or an Italian identity (as it will be apparent for what matter the Italian League). At best we could end up with an unifying power as Rome was for Italy but I'm not really sure it would go in this directio : the decentralized structures of the Gallic states (arguably quite original historically) would be still the basic societal-political element.
I'd try, at least, to find an original development of Gallic society proper to itself, rather than being too much influenced by Rome.

I also like that although Rome has been curbed by Carthage, it has not been destroyed so we can still see Roman society playing a role in this timeline.
Well, Roman attitude to crush whichever rival they happened to see before them was quite particular : traditional Mediterranean warfare was a bit more about curbing down rivals and Carthage (especially Hannibal, that was fully immersed in an Hellenized culture) probably never wanted to pull what Romans did after the Third Punic War. A good part of the Roman imperial build-up was a pathological incapacity to acknowledge defeat or to tolerate neighbors with even a modicum of power. Which is precisely what they had to face and to accept ITTL.

Well, until the conquest of Rome by Galatians in 44 BC, of course.
The year is 1.184 O.E. Italy is entirely occupied by the Galatians. Well, not entirely... One small village of indomitable Latins still holds out against the invaders. And life is not easy for the Galatian shields who garrison the fortified camps of Tacos, Carnis, and Instambulnotconstantinopolis...

Could Gallo-Latin script still arise in the eastern parts of the Gallic world? There was usage of capital Latin script in the Boii kingdom, at least in the inscriptions on the Biatec coins, prior to Roman expansion north of the Alps. Granted, that occurred in a period of nonstop Roman ascendancy,... but I think a more peripheral Roman influence could make itself present, like the spread of Old Italic descended scripts across most of Europe.
Well, without spoiling too much, let's say that a longer independent survival of Galatians peoples in Cisalpina (Insobria ITTL) will have consequences over script and morphological features of Gaulish language.

I wonder if you will deal with the Near East and the Hellenic world as well, the butteflies from a Roman failure would be huge for the next 2 centuries.

I wonder if you will deal with the Near East and the Hellenic world as well, the butteflies from a Roman failure would be huge for the next 2 centuries.
I'll cross the bridge when it comes. Or, more honestly, I've no idea so far what to do on this regard for the moment.

Deleted member 114175

I'll cross the bridge when it comes. Or, more honestly, I've no idea so far what to do on this regard for the moment.
The Ptolemaic and Seleucid Empires probably continue their proud tradition of bludgeoning each other repeatedly. Parthia, Macedonia, and Anatolian kingdoms would take advantage of this eventually.