¡Por la Patria, Viva México Fuerte! A Mexican TL Mk. II

PLVS VLTRA

Lol I guess I just am biased because Spain gets so often ignored in alternate history. And a reformed Spanish Empire is a personal favorite ATL of mine, giving it the Britwank treatment. But I digress lol :p .
I would like to see a reformed Spanish Empire but Spain has a history of being unstable... like France.

I would like to see a reformed Spanish Empire but Spain has a history of being unstable... like France.
Yup, but I do think they got unlucky with Charles IV and Fernando VII. They were notoriously bad. I'd like to imagine that if Spain had better monarchs going into the 19th century, it might have fared better.

Yup, but I do think they got unlucky with Charles IV and Fernando VII. They were notoriously bad. I'd like to imagine that if Spain had better monarchs going into the 19th century, it might have fared better.
Pretty much, if Spain replaced it's monarch that has no connections to either the Frence and/or a Habsburgs.

Pretty much, if Spain replaced it's monarch that has no connections to either the Frence and/or a Habsburgs.
Charles III was pretty good, but yea. I think having Louis I or Fernando VI have children might do the trick, as after those guys they got involved in Italy too much. My favorite idea though is to have the Captetian House of Courtenay inherit Spain. They were the only other Capets besides the Bourbons to survive until the 18th century, but fell on hard times after the Crusades.

Charles III was pretty good, but yea. I think having Louis I or Fernando VI have children might do the trick, as after those guys they got involved in Italy too much. My favorite idea though is to have the Captetian House of Courtenay inherit Spain. They were the only other Capets besides the Bourbons to survive until the 18th century, but fell on hard times after the Crusades.
That would be interesting to see Spain, without the Habsburgs and Bourbons interfering in Spain and what remains of it's colonial holdings, but then there's the British to worry about...

That would be interesting to see Spain, without the Habsburgs and Bourbons interfering in Spain and what remains of it's colonial holdings, but then there's the British to worry about...
Spain in the 18th century was still a Great Power, though a declining one. It wasn't a pushover however, and could go toe-to-toe with the UK back then, so you could get a lot of interesting scenarios.

Spain in the 18th century was still a Great Power, though a declining one. It wasn't a pushover however, and could go toe-to-toe with the UK back then, so you could get a lot of interesting scenarios.
That's true, I hope Spain gets to rebuilt it's navy so they can at least be able to protect their colonies from the UK and soon the US. Also I'd still want Mexico to keep their northern territories since it has enough resources to actually help Mexico industrialized later down the line...

That's true, I hope Spain gets to rebuilt it's navy so they can at least be able to protect their colonies from the UK and soon the US. Also I'd still want Mexico to keep their northern territories since it has enough resources to actually help Mexico industrialized later down the line...
The North is important but so is the South. Mexico would have two places where canals could be built in the Isthmus of Tehuantepec and in Nicaragua. Those two alone would make it one of the most important countries in maritime trade for quite some time. Also, fun little fact: Mexico has Uranium deposits~

The North is important but so is the South. Mexico would have two places where canals could be built in the Isthmus of Tehuantepec and in Nicaragua. Those two alone would make it one of the most important countries in maritime trade for quite some time. Also, fun little fact: Mexico has Uranium deposits~
Ah, right... forgot that there were plans to add a canal in those two areas before it was officially Panama that got it and I didn't know Mexico had (or still does) Uranium deposits, I hope they don't sell their deposits to any countries when it's discovered.

Hopefully just for peaceful purposes. Also, since my mind likes to work a million miles an hour when listening to music, I got a neat little idea after hearing Sabaton's Livgardet/The Royal Guard: If Mexico does become a monarchy, why not reinstate the Eagle and Jaguar Knight orders as elite guards of the Emperor and the court?

Hopefully just for peaceful purposes. Also, since my mind likes to work a million miles an hour when listening to music, I got a neat little idea after hearing Sabaton's Livgardet/The Royal Guard: If Mexico does become a monarchy, why not reinstate the Eagle and Jaguar Knight orders as elite guards of the Emperor and the court?
Well it is the 1800s so there's always gonna be fighting whether they want it or not.

It would be interesting to see if they brought back the old Royal Guard if Mexico got a monarch.

The next update is about 50-60% done, I haven't been able to work much on the TL in the last month or so mainly due to school and work. I don't know exactly yet when I'll have it up, so for the time being here's another map of the world as this currently stand, roughly early 1817.

1817AD.png

I'm running out of maps to use man o_O

Ah ok, glad to see there's a map of the world and good luck with both this story and IRL stuff.

Edit: Well... that's gonna be a problem... but you could look for a blank map and edit that with that countries color on that specific area (of course you'll still need to keep using that map until the Mexican-American borders is like in OTL. Also I kind of want Mexico gets Louisiana (the soon-to-be state), only cause I want to see how New Orleans would look.

Last edited:
Ah ok, glad to see there's a map of the world and good luck with both this story and IRL stuff.

Edit: Well... that's gonna be a problem... but you could look for a blank map and edit that with that countries color on that specific area (of course you'll still need to keep using that map until the Mexican-American borders is like in OTL. Also I kind of want Mexico gets Louisiana (the soon-to-be state), only cause I want to see how New Orleans would look.
I guess this is dead 😪

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Return to the Grave from whence you came!

With Iron, Salt, Blood, and Power I fix you back into the ground where you may once again rest!

The TL is not dead, though I know it seemed that way. On top of my normal work and school schedule I've been busy the last month or so with moving to another part of town and then not long after that the flu or whatever aerial cocktail floating around hit us really bad. This doesn't even get into how I've also been helping my sister care for my niece, her daughter the last few months. It's been hard for me to focus on the TL.

Another reason more closely tied to the TL for the delay has also been the fact that I've had to do my fair share of research for the next few updates, due in part to how much I've diverged from Mk. 1. the good news at least, is that I've managed to finally break down some of this writer's block and I'm finally got some major writing done. I wanna say the next update is about 85-90% done, now that Thanksgiving is done I'll try to get it up this weekend.

It's always hard to write these things when real life gets in the way. Your last timeline was awesome, I'm interested in how they'll differ here.