¡Por la Patria, Viva México Fuerte! A Mexican TL Mk. II

Also, do you have any plans for colonel Arredondo's most famous subordinate, or will his path be largely identical to the one he had in the last TL?

Also, do you have any plans for colonel Arredondo's most famous subordinate, or will his path be largely identical to the one he had in the last TL?
I haven't quite gotten to him yet, but one thing that has crept into my mind lately is the new Empire's desire to "liberate" Cuba eventualy. IIRC Arredondo actually was totally down to swear fealty to the new Empire OTL but they told him to fuck off. Maybe any TTL Royalist officers post-independence who wish to redeem themselves will be given the choice to fight in Cuba. Those who return to Mexico will have proven their loyalty to the Empire, and those that don't make it back...well that's fewer Royalists to worry about. In Mk. I Santa Anna's trajectory was pretty wacky in of itself, but I haven't decided yet if I'll send him to California again.

What happened to the silver and gold mines of new Spain in TTL?
I'm guessing several have been either sabotaged or just not being worked on but there's still bound to be some reales that keep the coin flowing.
Yeah the mines like in OTL are in pretty bad shape due to the constant warfare and the bad weather (I'm having trouble tracking down info to verify, but I feel some mines like at San Luis Potosi may have either survived or have been repaired by the Royalists). Ending the war (at least in Mexico itself) asap is a must in order to get them up and running again.

The ten years of war iotl really did a number on the production of silver in México so I'm also hoping this will be a "short" war like the last time around.
Without giving too much away, it won't be as long as OTL's conflict. Independence for Mexico will still be "won" around 1817-1818 like in Mk. I, in the sense that most of the country will be pacified by that point. The war proper won't be over but it will be relegated to minor holdouts (like San Juan de Ulua) or places like Cuba.

Greetings!! :biggrin: Thank you so much for those kind words :)

Yeah Calleja always struck me as a foul piece of work, considering how he still was replaced despite being much more successful in OTL. The next update shouldn't take me nearly so long to get to now that I'm on summer break, and the setting up of this alt-expeditionary force sounds fun. As for Allende Jr., one of the first things Mexico will have to deal with once independence is achieved will be securing the border with the United States, and for the moment having the Comanche on your side both in order to deter Anglo-American expansion and prevent future raids might be the best thing to do. Any positive relationships Indalecio manages to foster with Comancheria will hopefully contribute to fruitful negotiations with the future empire.

That is correct. I'm sot sure if it can be made any larger than it already was IOTL (if wiki is to be believed it was 10,500) but in general if Spain is doing worse in Mexico it probably isn't doing any better in South America. I'll get to work on that asap. The question of who will be Emperor IS something I have been thinking about a lot. A European house would present the most legitimacy and provide Mexico an easy channel for European capital to flow in (Ferdie VII won't allow a Bourbon so that probably leaves them out). I've also been interested in involving the House of Moctezuma, which did seem to be involved in some sort of independence shenanigans sometime after Morelos' death IOTL.
Hello my friend, as I been reading in the past conversations one of the options was the Duke of Teschen and in my opinion I believe he can be the best option to this question because of his military past as one of the few austrian commanders capable of defeat Napoleon and because he can create an early feeling of union around the figure of an Hasburg monarch (And actually can help you choosing the flag for the empire because you can use the one used by Maximilian 50 years later in the OTL) Also something what you can use is that maybe the mexican empire looks like the German empire of the OTL in the way that the new emperor can be an influence in the creation of the new structure of government, for example that maybe we can see an imperial parliament with a constitution, and as you say before in one of your comments another benefit of this is that the money from Europe will flow more easily and that can help for a boost in the mexican economy. So maybe for the 1840’s if we see a war with the U.S Mexico will be one of the great american powers but maybe in the internal situation the empire will look like Mexico in the Porfiriato (With some changes of curse) with a modern economy where the great haciendas dominate the central territory of the country with a great number of people under the system of “Peonaje” and with little properties in the north thanks to the great movilization of people to this territories with a great modernization to the agriculture and the creation of a big industrial complex of manufactures in cities like Monterrey and Guadalajara and Pachuca. But that’s some of the ideas that I have. I appreciate your work Mister, send you saludos from Aguascalientes, México.

Hello my friend, as I been reading in the past conversations one of the options was the Duke of Teschen and in my opinion I believe he can be the best option to this question because of his military past as one of the few austrian commanders capable of defeat Napoleon and because he can create an early feeling of union around the figure of an Hasburg monarch (And actually can help you choosing the flag for the empire because you can use the one used by Maximilian 50 years later in the OTL) Also something what you can use is that maybe the mexican empire looks like the German empire of the OTL in the way that the new emperor can be an influence in the creation of the new structure of government, for example that maybe we can see an imperial parliament with a constitution, and as you say before in one of your comments another benefit of this is that the money from Europe will flow more easily and that can help for a boost in the mexican economy. So maybe for the 1840’s if we see a war with the U.S Mexico will be one of the great american powers but maybe in the internal situation the empire will look like Mexico in the Porfiriato (With some changes of curse) with a modern economy where the great haciendas dominate the central territory of the country with a great number of people under the system of “Peonaje” and with little properties in the north thanks to the great movilization of people to this territories with a great modernization to the agriculture and the creation of a big industrial complex of manufactures in cities like Monterrey and Guadalajara and Pachuca. But that’s some of the ideas that I have. I appreciate your work Mister, send you saludos from Aguascalientes, México.
Omg sorry for my late reply, but thank you so much for that in depth analysis and all the ideas for the future Empire. At this point I am pretty much inclined to go with the Duke of Teschen as the new Mexican Emperor. This should give the newly independent Mexican state with a much stronger slate of European allies to draw support from early on. The first decade or so of independence will be the hardest to navigate, but eventually I can easily see something akin to a more stable, monarchal "Porfiriato" developing. Earlier European and American investment can level the playing field in any future conflict with the United States and further complicate any attempt by the Americans to invade. The flag will most likely be more like the one Iturbide designed in OTL, but yes I do agree as well the structure of the national government will be heavily influenced by European constitutional monarchism. The benefits of industrialization will undoubtedly be demonstrated in the eventual war with the USA, what with rail allowing for Mexico City to move troops and supplies between say Acapulco and the capital, or between Guadalajara and Veracruz. Anyway thanks so much for all these ideas, I truly appreciate it :)

The next update was initially giving me trouble to get started but I've finally managed to make some progress on it this last week. Hopefully within the next week or so I can get it posted.

While I work on the next update, I figured a little mappity map would help pass the time lol. So here's a map of the world at the start of 1815.

1815AD.png

Last edited:
It would be very nice to have a Austrified Mexico :3 speaking of which, are we gonna have Mexico develop a domestic weapons industry this time around instead of having to get equipment frome everyone else?

The map suggests some interesting possibilities.
If America does hold all that land from sea to shining sea, it seems quite possible its aggressions might be directed towards Britain...
Hehe you might be on to something ;)

Does Naples control Sardinia?
Damn I totally missed that. What is the Kingdom of Sardinia without Sardinia? XD I'll fix it asap!

It would be very nice to have a Austrified Mexico :3 speaking of which, are we gonna have Mexico develop a domestic weapons industry this time around instead of having to get equipment frome everyone else?
A Hapsburg restoration in Mexico does open the door for Austria to be one of the first European nations to deal with the new Mexican Empire, so it is totally possible I think for some bits of Austrian culture to rub off...I just haven't determined the scope or details. And eventually yeah Mexico will seek to build up its own domestic weapons industry as one of it's most vital deterrents against foreign aggression. Definitely up there with a strong navy, though the latter probably has more precedence in the short term.

Apologies for the delay y'all, I got about half of the next update done before I became consumed with midterms. I've finally been able to make progress on it now that school's calmed for the moment, so hopefully have it up very soon! :'(

Apologies for the delay y'all, I got about half of the next update done before I became consumed with midterms. I've finally been able to make progress on it now that school's calmed for the moment, so hopefully have it up very soon!
No worries man. Just échale ganas and everything will work out.

Also, regarding the comment I made, do you think that maybe we could make it easier for a certain liberal-minded Hapsburg to make his way to Mexico and start trying to make the lives of natives a bit better? Hell, Mexico could actually become something akin to Austria-Hungary but in the Americas.

Also, regarding the comment I made, do you think that maybe we could make it easier for a certain liberal-minded Hapsburg to make his way to Mexico and start trying to make the lives of natives a bit better? Hell, Mexico could actually become something akin to Austria-Hungary but in the Americas.
If I remember correctly, Austria-Hungary was full of different ethnic groups that led to it's downfall and doesn't the Hapsburgs have a history of being disliked in Europe...

If I remember correctly, Austria-Hungary was full of different ethnic groups that led to it's downfall and doesn't the Hapsburgs have a history of being disliked in Europe...
Very true... However, Mexico does have many different ethnic groups. What I meant is for Maximilian Von Habsburg and his more liberal ideas to make it to Mexico somehow. The man wanted to create a lot of good things iotl, but he never got the chance.

Very true... However, Mexico does have many different ethnic groups. What I meant is for Maximilian Von Habsburg and his more liberal ideas to make it to Mexico somehow. The man wanted to create a lot of good things iotl, but he never got the chance.
True but since this is before his birth and after the Napoleonic War, they would be busy dealing with nationalism and then Prussia in a few decades.

I'm doing alright, sorry for the alarm. The update is about 90-95% complete, the only reason I haven't finished it is due to finals and all that fun stuff. It took me a bit longer than I thought as well because I ended up needing to do more research. The next update spends a good amount of time in Central America and it's astounding how little information there is on the region during independence. Now that the semester is for all intents and purposes over though, I'll have the new update up very shortly.