¡A Plethora of PoDs!

Yes ¡'s are cool. I agree.

So, school's out for me and I really want to finish an AH timeline. I figure this would be the place to get it out and get help, so I came up with a few of my favourite PoDs and wondered if all you out there could critique them for me- not as in fix grammatical errors (though that's nice) or tell me my writing's no good (><) but more with the actual ideas of what I'm coming up with, and help refine and define them and what have you.

Also, because the nature of my writing leads me to wanting to get stuff done, I have the urge to put as much as I can possibly fit into one TL; becuase I'm writing this all for me and my enjoyment, and I'd like to change as much as I can so I can have fun with it later (but not TOO much at once cause that's alot to think about). So, if you have any cool PoDs between 1560 and 1700 that you'd like to throw out to me, that'd be greatly appreciated. Also, it's just to help me out right so if you could, that'd be loverly. ^^

I've stuck my long PoD in this word-file. If you care you can read it. If not, it's basically a shot at establishing a greater French presence in the Louisiana region. I'd like to come up with a TL with a few smaller PoDs that won't affect the development of immediate history RIGHT AWAY but rather, they'll become very important in 50-100 years from when they happen. Here a few shorter PoDs (in explaination anyway) I was thinking of exploring, though perhaps not all at once. I'll put them in chronological order.

1400 - For whatever reason, the Nordic colony of Greenland does not completely die out. Several dozen survivors manage to hold on as the Dorset-Thule people begin to migrate to Greenland. The "skraelings" trade valuble foodstuffs and clothing to the "Nords", who in turn provide the Dorset with metal tools and adequate boats (despite the general lack of material on the island). The two cultures eventually merge after several generations and migrate from Greenland to the modern-day coast of Labrador. Outbreaks of disease happen in Northern Canada, but the result is a slightly more populated northern-region with ship-building and goat-raising capacity (hah). Yes, this would bring earlier domestication of goat and perhaps other animals (enlighten me?) Any other consequences from this? I don't really know.

1568 - Taken from a thread I saw here, the Morisco Revolt in OTL results in the expulsion of all Moors into North Africa. In TTL, Phillip II decides it is a better idea to dump the Moriscos far from the influence of the Ottomans (who they believed would inspire the Moriscos to rise up against the Spanish) and far from the Crown of Spain. They resolve to dump the Moors on the Isla de Terranova (Newfoundland) and subsequently deport almost 220,000 Moors to the small island on fleets of slave cargo ships. It is estimated that almost 45% of the Moors died in transit, with some figures as high as 70%. Of those survivors, another 30% perished on the island from malnutrition, sickness or from other ailments. A huge number ultimately remain however to contest the island with the native Beothuk population. What do you think would go on here (is this fun and worth working with?)

1591 - Now here I'm a little unsure; I read on wikipedia there was a possability that Japan might've invaded Luzon, Taiwan and/or the Ryukyu Islands had they not paid tribute to the Daimyo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_invasions_of_Korea_(1592-1598)#Korea_and_China_before_the_war is where I got it under "Hideyoshi and his preparations"). The idea intrigued me; had they not, for whatever reason paid the tribute or had he seriously considered this as an alternative, what would've happened? Assuming he goes through with say, an invasion of Taiwan and the Ryukyus, perhaps inital "blitzkrieg"-esque success results in the subjigation of these islands under the samurai, and the subsequent attempt at a Korean invasion fails even more miserably then OTL (or not?) I know almost nothing about Japanese history- a great weakness of mine, so help here is needed. But an Asian PoD would be nice.

1631 - Hendrick Corneliszoon Loncq manages to take Fort Cabedello in Paraíba, Brazil as well as the Rio Grande and several northern forts (including Belém). This strings of victories are later met with the arrival of Johan Maurits van Nassau-Siegen, an enlightened governor who wins over the local population through liberal laws and his own personal philanthropy to the development of areas like Recife. Freedom of religion and language remain throughout the realm, but despite this Portuguese resistance to the Dutch remains high. A military excursion led by Loncq into São Salvador in late 1631 results in a Dutch victory and occupation of the city. Portuguese settlers begin choosing Dutch lands, and the growing disparity at home in Portugal between the Castillians and the local Portuguese is at its height. Maurits organizes a treaty however to remedy the situation. He offers the return of Salvador and parts of occupied Bahia as well as the ability to trade in the region and to maintain Catholicism and Portuguese language, in exchange for Dutch soverignty of the lands they'd conquered. Facing increasing political pressures at home and with immigration to the Dutch colonies increasing, as well as Dutch occupation of principle Portuguese ports and cities, they sign the treaty; which marks the establishment of Nieuw Holland or, Dutch Brazil.

1641 - The Catalan Revolt is in full swing, and a Castillian army decended upon Barcelona. A stunning complete military victory by the Catalonians led by the Marquis de Los Vélez shocks the Castillians. Pau Claris, believing he could champion the cause of a Catalonian Republic. The uproar in Castille is met with subsequent victories to the south in Zaragoza and Valenica. (Now here's where I go awry; should I have it so they seperate and see if I can keep the Catalonians alive or should I have Pau Claris negotiate increased Catalonian priviledges [they were pretty lofty already for an angry-attempted-centralized Castillian state] and such- perhaps the ability to trade in the New World? What are your thoughts.)

Thanks for the enormously long read. This has taken awaile so yeah. Throw me some PoDs; I might not use all of these, the last one particularly would cause a ruckus if they were to seperate. Butterflies everywhere (somewhat- they were basically independent until 1708 anyway). If you have any ideas share 'em. Thoughts and comments please. Advice on which PoDs to use; whether to use all or just one and let them create themselves is appreciated.

<3

Attachments

• paradiselost.txt
    6.6 KB · Views: 569
If my dates are a bit off as well just as a rule (sorry for the double-post) I appologize. And any weird spelling errors that result in double entendres or what have you was not intended.

Thanks for reading btw. very kind of you all. It was grossly long ; )