Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Melvin Spivak

• Sorry to be privately messaging you, but I really appreciate your comments (why I tagged you the other day) and find this an interesting topic.
    Reactions: JWQ
  • Melvin Spivak

• Hey jmc247.

I'm curious, you said before that the time to get rid of Saddam in Iraq while ensuring a soft landing was in 1991, and the following decade destroyed any possibility of his removal not being a bloodbath. Would you say we're seeing a similar dynamic now in Syria, e.g the time to get rid of Assad easily was 2012 and now the civil war has guaranteed any future collapse of his regime will be catastrophic?
    jmc247 1
    Yes.

You don’t want to lose your middle class and have a religiously radicalizing population for a number of years to have a hope for a soft landing when the lid of Totalitarianism comes off.

The middle class is an enormously stabilizing part of a nation as they have a stake in society and also can’t just run off and live high on the hog like the elite.
    Melvin Spivak
    Thanks! Also, what do you think of this thread? (Assuming you have the time to read it of course, no pressure). I'm skeptical the will to invade another Middle Eastern country will exist but maybe some action to remove Assad may be taken...
    jmc247 1
    The US isn't going to be taking out Assad at this point. Its very hard to do anything with the US internal problems. That being said Assad has coup proof'ed the regime just as Saddam did. The reason the Syrian regime is so bad at securing its country is in no small part its security forces are a highly politicized regime protection force.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…