Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Abd ar-Rahman II

Abd ar-Rahman II

• I remember you saying in a old post that Palmyre would have made a greater Levantine capital than Damas or Alep what are the reason for that ? Position ?
    wakobear 1
    Maybe Palmyra is midway between Iraq and Syria But its isolated and lacks fertile hinterland

Damascus is good Syrian capital not Caliphal since it cant control Iraq
    Cairo is too western Baghdad too eastern

Leaving Raqqa: navigable on the Euphrates so can send troops to Kufa, Iraqi grain/indian trade to Raqqa, close to Egypt so can unify fertile crescent, close to Med via Orontes
    Harun made it his capital
  • Abd ar-Rahman II

Abd ar-Rahman II

• What an Iran lead by a far more successful Ya’qub ibn Al Layth Al Saffa look like ? Assuming they manage to beat the Abbasid Zanj rebel and other rebel could they manage to like the Parthian and Sassanids establish a long lasting empire capable to beat the Turkish nomad out of the Middle East ? Is it likely for them to have the same slave problem than the other Muslim military of the region
    Abd ar-Rahman II
    Abd ar-Rahman II
    ? What will they do to the Abbasid keep them as puppet ? Remplace them with an another more pliable dynasty with a claim to the Caliphate ? What will be the effect on the Muslim world ? The rest of the post .
  • Abd ar-Rahman II

Abd ar-Rahman II

• Do you have any idea on how to make the emesan dynasty do better ? The concept of Arab pagan Sun Worshippers Priest king ruling in the levant is very cool concept . Also how other Arabic kingdom of the Fertile Crescent in the period like kingdom of Osroene and Hagar could do better as well ?
    John7755 يوحنا 1
    I am not very well versed on this topic to be frank. The best way is to perhaps see the Arsacids come to dominate the region. Hence, you receive their sort of tributary system be maintained, with various Arab principalities remaining in state for much longer than their otl limits.
  • Lady Visenya

Lady Visenya

• You use the term Hepthalshahs. What does it mean?
    Reactions: John7755 يوحنا
    Lady Visenya
    Lady Visenya
    I figured as much, I just had never seen that term anywhere before. Did you come up with it? Or is it something in non-English stuff?
    John7755 يوحنا 1
    Generally, there is a custom in traditional Arabic and Persianate literature to refer to roughly Iranic entities in Central Asia as >name of tribe or region< + >shah<. Case in point, Khwarezemshahs which was the term used by the Abbasid state in discourse with them and with others, such as the Mongol armies that surged into the region.
    Lady Visenya
    Lady Visenya 1
    Thank you! As a native English speaker with only some basic knowledge of Greek (I'm learning) I love learning this sort of stuff. Languages are just so fascinating to me. Thank you for indulging me, John!:)
  • Death's Little Helper

Death's Little Helper

• Hey, I remember you being interested in playing a nation game as the Papacy. There's going to be a vote on the next game in the near future and one of the candidates is starting in 1227.
    Just wanted to let you know in case you were still interested.
  • My Daichingtala

• Hello there, I was wondering if you have heard of Abdul Samad al-Palimbani, a half-Indonesian scholar who lived in 18th-century Mecca? Is he a somewhat known figure in Middle Eastern scholarship?

Edit: It appears that he is commonly called "Sayyid 'Abd-al Samad ibn 'Abd-al Rahman al-Jawi" in Arab sources, if that helps.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…