The Amalingian Empire: The Story of the Gothic-Roman Empire

Very nice. So we have a surviving Wales, Cornwall, and... Alclad? (I am assuming that Kernow = Cornwall).

OTL most of the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms in Britain were at least nominally Christian by the 660s - I take it the process is a bit delayed ATL?

Bruce

I would consider Norfrenk or Norfransc to be a likelier spellings if it is taken from the local Old English.

Note also that Athelfrith would be Ethelfrith in Bernicia [æ] becoming [e] in the Anglian dialects vs [a] in the Saxon

I'm curious that you've decided to assimilate the Angles and Saxons as Saxons, particularly in light of the Frankish assimilation and surviving Mercia. While I suspect that the invading Theuts will create a common Anglo-Saxon "Sexo-Angle" identity you must be careful of anachronistically labelling as Saxon since they'd be viewed as separate albeit related peoples.

Norfransc it is! I like the look and sound of it! I always appreciate help on the linguistic side of things, and appreciate the information and advice.

As for the Saxon identity, that will likely become more clear as time visa on. Mercia is still strong, but its position is going to be weakened in relation to its neighbors over time.

Very nice. So we have a surviving Wales, Cornwall, and... Alclad? (I am assuming that Kernow = Cornwall).

OTL most of the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms in Britain were at least nominally Christian by the 660s - I take it the process is a bit delayed ATL?

Bruce

Yes, Kernow is Cornwall and we do end up with a surviving Alclud as welll.

As for religion; I plan on touching this in a future update bit, suffice to say, the Christianization of the Angels and Saxons is going slower than in OTL for a number of reasons.

Interesting how Alclud manages to be listed among the surviving Briton states in the Isles (although I did note the name of the author was hardly Brytthonic...maybe a more thorough ethnic/cultural mixing between Germanics and Celts down the line?). The line about Wulfa Barman's Folkish movement was utterly tantalizing, and the inclusion of the Franks into Britain's cultural and political mixup is pretty awesome after the shellacking they took on the Continent (and it seems that unlike OTL, they're not just a bunch of Gallo-Romans who nicked the name, but rather the actual Franks themselves). Also, we now know that there's an alt-*Poland and *Spain, not to mention the possibility of surviving Byzantines (given the land in question is spelled "Rhomania") and what I imagine is a mixed Greco-Roman state in Naples. And finally, Vandaland seems to ultimately go Germanic and not Afro-Romance...shame, but I'm not complaining.

Given how long I've been waiting to see what's become of Britain, I'm slightly overwhelmed by the Awesome included in this update. I'll just say this; given the foreshadowing of the Theuts with regards to the Isles, perhaps we're looking at an alt-Teutonic Crusade down the line, only oriented westward instead of eastward? A belief in "Christianizing the Norfrench" gets into some *Brandenburger's head, and whips up a frenzy of conquest along the North Sea, and across to *Brittania? Or maybe that's just a tad too much :p. In any event, I loved this update and look forward to more!

Interesting how Alclud manages to be listed among the surviving Briton states in the Isles (although I did note the name of the author was hardly Brytthonic...maybe a more thorough ethnic/cultural mixing between Germanics and Celts down the line?). The line about Wulfa Barman's Folkish movement was utterly tantalizing, and the inclusion of the Franks into Britain's cultural and political mixup is pretty awesome after the shellacking they took on the Continent (and it seems that unlike OTL, they're not just a bunch of Gallo-Romans who nicked the name, but rather the actual Franks themselves). Also, we now know that there's an alt-*Poland and *Spain, not to mention the possibility of surviving Byzantines (given the land in question is spelled "Rhomania") and what I imagine is a mixed Greco-Roman state in Naples. And finally, Vandaland seems to ultimately go Germanic and not Afro-Romance...shame, but I'm not complaining.

Given how long I've been waiting to see what's become of Britain, I'm slightly overwhelmed by the Awesome included in this update. I'll just say this; given the foreshadowing of the Theuts with regards to the Isles, perhaps we're looking at an alt-Teutonic Crusade down the line, only oriented westward instead of eastward? A belief in "Christianizing the Norfrench" gets into some *Brandenburger's head, and whips up a frenzy of conquest along the North Sea, and across to *Brittania? Or maybe that's just a tad too much :p. In any event, I loved this update and look forward to more!

Some good catches there! I do feel I should point out, in relation to the good Doctor Spearman, that professors often go to teach or research in foreign nations (two former members of my committee from grad school are doing it right now, as a matter of fact!) So, it could well be that he's a Sexish professor who obtained a job in Alclud for the time being :)

I'm glad you like the presence of the Franks in Britain. It was actually a hold over from the first time I tried this TL way back in my undergrad days. I had always found the idea interesting, and it made sense considering what happened to the Franks, but I wanted to find a way for it to be realistic. Hopefully I have done so!

As for the Theut. Well ... yes and no ;) Hopefully that it cryptic enough for you!

Some good catches there! I do feel I should point out, in relation to the good Doctor Spearman, that professors often go to teach or research in foreign nations (two former members of my committee from grad school are doing it right now, as a matter of fact!) So, it could well be that he's a Sexish professor who obtained a job in Alclud for the time being :)

I'm glad you like the presence of the Franks in Britain. It was actually a hold over from the first time I tried this TL way back in my undergrad days. I had always found the idea interesting, and it made sense considering what happened to the Franks, but I wanted to find a way for it to be realistic. Hopefully I have done so!

As for the Theut. Well ... yes and no ;) Hopefully that it cryptic enough for you!

That is a good point about Dr. Spearman too, maybe it doesn't mean much in terms of Alclud's ultimate fate. Still, makes for good speculation! As far as Franks in Britain goes, there's an interesting irony to that setup, them being in Britain (aka The Enemy in OTL) while also preserving the Old Frankish "identity" pre-Clovis. I've seen that concept put into use only once in Thermopylae's "The Coronation of the Hun", and that was more like the French moved to Britain rather than the Franks themselves like you've done. Needless to say, all due respect to Thermo, I like your version better! Also, I'm going with my theory for the time being of Deutscher Crusaders going ape-s**t in Western Europe. Now the Rautherings? That I got no clue about thus far :D

That is a good point about Dr. Spearman too, maybe it doesn't mean much in terms of Alclud's ultimate fate. Still, makes for good speculation! As far as Franks in Britain goes, there's an interesting irony to that setup, them being in Britain (aka The Enemy in OTL) while also preserving the Old Frankish "identity" pre-Clovis. I've seen that concept put into use only once in Thermopylae's "The Coronation of the Hun", and that was more like the French moved to Britain rather than the Franks themselves like you've done. Needless to say, all due respect to Thermo, I like your version better! Also, I'm going with my theory for the time being of Deutscher Crusaders going ape-s**t in Western Europe. Now the Rautherings? That I got no clue about thus far :D

Well, I will let you believe about the Theut what you will :) I should point out that the term 'Theut' may not be what the group calls themselves, or could be a translation of their self-title into another language. Just to keep things more interesting.

As for the Rautherings, I actually gave one huge clue in this past update; but I suspect it will be much more clear in the next chapter and will certainly be known after that! :)

Yeah, good stuff.

Much appreciated!

My next chapte, I think, will focus on the religious situation in the isles, and then I plan to turn my attention towards Eire for a brief moment, before turning bsck to tue main narrative. I free the events in Britain will be getting a bit ahead of the Goth stuff.

As always, knowing what I plan, if you have any requests or questions, let me know!

What's the Scandinavian situation right now? I know it won't become important until a few hundred years down the road, but something is happening right? Tribal movements and whatnot?

What's the Scandinavian situation right now? I know it won't become important until a few hundred years down the road, but something is happening right? Tribal movements and whatnot?

Although events in Scandinavia will be important in the future, and one can assume there has been some changes (just as a result of the butterfly effect, if nothing else), they haven't really had much of an impact upon the Gothic-Roman world as of yet. That will change, of course, and I could see myself turning my eye up there for a bit, but there hasn't been too much to report, yet (save for a minor Danish attack against the Franks in a previous chapter, of course).

Also, I will need to do some research (pre-Viking era Scandinavia isn't a topic I know much about, at the moment. I suspect, that will have to change. Anyone know of any good sources?) :)

The Empire and its Neighbors in 630 CE (Map)
Corrected version, now.

Amalingian2.png

Last edited:
Wait, does Islam exist in this TL? I could probably find out with a bit of looking....

Ah, I see how you misread that - I meant they are unabated because there hasn't been an Islamic invasion. I'd better rephrase that.

Bruce