WI: August 1990 Coup succeeds

What if the plotters acted more decisively and imprisoned/killed Yeltsin and Gorby in the early hours of the coup and was not so afraid to use force.

Assuming the whole thing doesn't kick off a civil war*, the Soviet Union would rapidly become North Korea on huge amounts of steroids. That is the fate of hardline Marxist-Leninism, it is either abandoned or it descends into North Korean style insanity.

*Civil war in a country with ~30,000 nukes. *shivers*

Where would the sides be strongest if a civil war does come about. I was thinking the Emergency Committee would find strong support in the East while the Russian Government would find many friends in the West.

RousseauX

Donor
Assuming the whole thing doesn't kick off a civil war*, the Soviet Union would rapidly become North Korea on huge amounts of steroids. That is the fate of hardline Marxist-Leninism, it is either abandoned or it descends into North Korean style insanity.

*Civil war in a country with ~30,000 nukes. *shivers*

By 1991 there were no hardline Marxist-Leninists anymore, the coup was about preserving the Soviet state rather than preserving Communism.

Coo! Coo!

I was in Washington DC on the day the coup went down. Looking out of my hotel window while listening to the news, i saw Air Force Two slide past and realized I was at a possible 'ground zero'. Rather a sobering thought at the time.

Who would back the Government and who would back Yeltsin?

Yeltsin would be out of the picture, I think it would become a struggle between the nationalists and the government fairly quickly, with the liberals in general being marginalised as a military force. Russian nationalism could probably be connected to the survival of the USSR.