Drang Nach Osten - German Eastern Policy

2yy1kaq.jpg

Greetings my fellow Alternate History fans, I am Olligarchy and I've returned. During my exile from these forums I've managed to get into a very serious relationship, find a job and generally gotten into this "real life" business which has forced me to put my previous timelines on hold... and now formally cancel them. I am simply not able to maintain interest in them after such a long period, but instead I will try for something entirely different.

Drang Nach Osten will be my new timeline and I will attempt to update it on a weekly, or bi-weekly basis depending on the size of the update and the time my life allows me. I cannot make promises that I will finish this timeline, but I shall do my very best to make it an interesting and enjoyable ride for all those interested in following it.

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]Chapter 1: The Point of Divergence[/FONT]
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.”
-Ernest Hemingway

By the year 1915, the warring Powers of Europe were becoming to the realization that the conflict they were in would not be ended quickly or neatly. Tightening their belts they set about fighting the Great War with grim seriousness, knowing that the winner would eventually become the global hegemon. To this end, the Great Powers fought for dominance on Land, Sea.... and for the first time on the skies. All across Europe and their colonies armies clashed as newly invented air planes zoomed above them, heralding a new form of warfare that would shatter forever the image that war was a glorious enterprise that would bring out the best in a nation and its people.

2aeyjq.jpg

Europe at the beginning of the year 1915. The Entente Powers compromised of the United Kingdom of Great Britain, Third French Republic, Russia and Serbia were matched off against the Central Powers compromised of Germany, Austria-Hungary and the Ottoman Empire.

Whilst the year 1914 had mostly favoured the Central Powers, with the Imperial German army lead by Helmuth von Moltke the Younger having almost reached Paris before being stopped by the Entente armies in the Miracle of Marne, 1915 showed everyone the horrors of trench warfare… gas attacks, attrition warfare and fearsome artillery barrages that would be enough to break through solid rock. However it was the western front which would also see the innovation of tanks and many other things that enabled the human race to keep killing each other ever more effectively.

Realizing that the war would not end quickly, the British Grand Fleet was stationed on the North Sea to oppose the German High Seas Fleet with the explicit purpose of cutting off the Germans from overseas trade and income. This strategy, whilst not glamorous, soon began to take its toll on the German Empire and her allies, and the increasingly desperate Kaiserliche Marine led by Admiral von Tirpitz began to consider their options. With the High Seas fleet penned up on Heligoland, only the experimental U-Boat fleet was free to ravage the British on the Channel.
21mhlpv.jpg
se0l7r.jpg

Admirals von Pohl and Holtzendorff, the primary advocates of the unrestricted submarine warfare.

A number of highly respected members of the German Military led by Hugo von Pohl began to advocate unrestricted submarine warfare campaign to counter the blockade held by the British. The campaign called for the U-boats to return the blockade in kind, destroying any ships attempting to reach Britain without warning or mercy. Henning von Holtzendorff went as far as to swear to Kaiser Wilhelm II that the British would be starved out within five months and that not a single American would land on the continent if he should approve of the campaign.

However, Theobald von Bethmann-Hollweg, the Chancellor of Germany felt that this was unwise. An Anglophile like Kaiser Wilhelm II himself, he had gone to extraordinary lengths to ensure British neutrality in the Great War, only to be ruined by the invasion through Belgium done by Karl von Bülow and Alexander von Kluck at the orders of Helmuth von Moltke the Younger. With his failure to secure a suitable peace from Serbia and seeming failure to keep the British out of the war, the Chancellor was not in favour with the Kaiser, but felt that he had to make his voice heard and requested a private meeting which Kaiser Wilhelm II graciously granted.

Meeting with Wilhelm II in the Kaiser’s office, Theobald argued that the U-boat campaign would only serve to give the Central Powers a worse reputation than they suffered now. Whilst the short term gains in sunken vessels would increase dramatically, it would ruin Germany’s global reputation and might turn the only neutral power… the US against them.
wipn37.jpg
2euo2l2.jpg

Chancellor Theobald von Bethmann-Hollweg and Kaiser Wilhelm II von Hohenzollern.

Whilst these arguments clearly made an effect on the Kaiser, it seemed that Pohl’s arguments would win out, before Theobald was struck by a flash of genius. Pointing out to the Kaiser that he had been drawn into the war against his own will and that von Moltke (whom was also a prominent unrestricted submarine campaign supporter) had gone against his orders in invading France through Belgium, bringing the Empire into conflict against the British. Playing to the Kaiser’s fears of being ousted by the increasingly powerful military commanders like Hindenburg and Ludendorff, Theobald managed to convince the Kaiser to take a stand and retake his government from within.

Making shadowy alliances with members of the Reichstag such as Constantin Fehrenbach, Wojciech Korfanty and Friedrich von Payer, the Chancellor and Kaiser whom despite having slowly become more and more of a figure head, but still maintained absolute authority in matters of political and military appointments; demanded von Moltke’s resignation due to his failures to obey the Schlieffen Plan and to capture Paris.

Whilst Field Marshal Paul von Hindenburg and General Erich Ludendorff countered the Kaiser’s attempts at reclaiming control with threats of resigning, Wilhelm II was backed by the Chancellor and his shadowy allies within the Reichstag, giving him the courage to stand firm with his orders. Eventually von Moltke was indeed forced to resign his post, and von Hindenburg and Ludendorff backed down, acknowledging the Kaisers authority.

Once again in control of his own government, Kaiser Wilhelm II denied the Kaiserliche Marine their request to begin unrestricted submarine warfare. Together with his Chancellor and new allies he hoped that the political goodwill gained from the act would enable them to eventually negotiate an amicable treaty with the British and the Entente in general.

On an unrelated note, it would not be long before the somewhat more “fictionalized” recounting of these events would reach the United States where the popular sentiment towards the Entente, especially the British began to turn sour. The image of a mighty alliance doing everything in their power to strangle German resistance even at the cost of civilians lives, whilst the Germans maintained a decree of decency and honour even during a war as brutal as this, was a potent weapon that Theobald von Bethmann-Hollweg would later on congratulate himself for using.​

Last edited:

RavenMM

Banned
First Chapter sounds interesting. Soo... no USW, no American entry into war, no unsecured loans - 1917 CP victory? Title makes me wonder were it will lead.

Minro correction, but it was already the third (not second) French republic. Otherwise, it looks interesting.

First Chapter sounds interesting. Soo... no USW, no American entry into war, no unsecured loans - 1917 CP victory? Title makes me wonder were it will lead.

A CP victory is a given on these forums isn't it? ;)

But the title does have a meaning, and whilst you can get the OTL meaning quite easily by googling it, the term might have entirely different connotations in this TL.

Minro correction, but it was already the third (not second) French republic. Otherwise, it looks interesting.

Thanks! Missed that one... but it's now fixed.

Interesting Start...

Germany turning around after the start of the war is an interesting idea. Would be nice to elaborate more the reasons for the change in the public opinion in the United States. Considering that Wilson was very sympatic to Britain...

Please continue!

All these fine mustaches! I am intrested!

I shall endeavor to ensure that many more such mustaches are shown!

Germany turning around after the start of the war is an interesting idea. Would be nice to elaborate more the reasons for the change in the public opinion in the United States. Considering that Wilson was very sympatic to Britain...

Please continue!

Lets just say there's a reason for that... :D

Just a heads up, the next two chapters are going to the very run of the mill introduction to the major players during the Great War, a look at the Kaiser, the Chancellor and especially their supporters in the Reichstag. After that there's going to be an introduction to the other powers whom though not directly involved have ramifications... namely the USA among others.

Chapter 1: A Look at the Major Players

29e65bb.jpg

The Central Powers (also known as the Quadruple Alliance) were an alliance between Germany, Austria-Hungary, the Ottoman Empire and the Kingdom of Bulgaria which represented one side of the Great War. The origins of the Alliance lay in the alliance between the German and Austrian Empires, but as the world was thrust into the Great War the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire and the King of Bulgaria were also drawn in for a variety of reasons.

The Central Powers are often represented as the reactionary side, trying to hold onto old values and ideals as the world progressed into radicalism. Whilst their victory in the Great War indeed allowed the world to become more stable in the short term, long term it caused deep rifts in the fabric of the world. This became especially important in the late 20th century and the Second Great War where it was not Europe that tore itself apart, but the rest of the world.

German Empire
30lgh8g.png

The German Empire was a federation of 27 constituent territories ruled by the Emperor from the House of Hohenzollern. Having industrialized rapidly in 1850 with a foundation of iron, coal, steel, railways and chemicals, the Empire was an industrial, technological and scientific giant which had received more Noble Prizes in its short history than most of the Great Powers combined.

Predominantly urban with a population of 68 million, the Empire boasted the world’s strongest (if not largest) army and a rapidly increasing industrial base which enabled it to go toe to toe with Great Britain in a naval race which saw the Empires navy going from a non-entity to second greatest fleet in the known world.

At the time of the Great War, the Empire was ruled by Kaiser Wilhelm II von Hohenzollern with Theobald von Bethmann-Hollweg acting as his Chancellor. The pair though initially at odds saw the rise of the Empire from merely another Great Power to the undisputed European hegemon and were instrumental in making that reality.

e88is9.jpg

His Imperial and Royal Majesty William II, By the Grace of God, German Emperor and King of Prussia, Margrave of Brandenburg, Burgrave of Nuremberg, Count of Hohenzollern, Duke of Silesia and of the County of Glatz, Grand Duke of the Lower Rhine and of Posen, Duke of Saxony, of Angria, of Westphalia, of Pomerania and of Lunenburg, Duke of Schleswig, of Holstein and of Crossen, Duke of Magdeburg, of Bremen, of Guelderland and of Jülich, Cleves and Berg, Duke of the Wends and the Kashubians, of Lauenburg and of Mecklenburg, Landgrave of Hesse and in Thuringia, Margrave of Upper and Lower Lusatia, Prince of Orange, of Rugen, of East Friesland, of Paderborn and of Pyrmont, Prince of Halberstadt, of Münster, of Minden, of Osnabrück, of Hildesheim, of Verden, of Kammin, of Fulda, of Nassau and of Moers, Princely Count of Henneberg, Count of the Mark, of Ravensberg, of Hohenstein, of Tecklenburg and of Lingen, Count of Mansfeld, of Sigmaringen and of Veringen, Lord of Frankfurt.

Austria-Hungary
6od0jr.png
By all accounts Austria was an ancient power with a lineage stretching back to the early days of the Holy Roman Empire, but it was not the state itself that held any special power or deeper meaning. The strength of Austria had since its early days been its traditional Habsburg monarchy. Having gone from a Margraviate to a Duchy, from a duchy to an Archduchy and from an Archduchy to a mighty Empire, Austria-Hungary was a state divided by ethnicity, religion and internal borders. Seemingly the only thing keeping the state together was the combined allegiance all of the member states held to the Habsburgs. Sometimes even that wasn’t enough.

A mighty state that could comfortably claim to have the second largest landmass and the third largest population of nearly 53 million the Austrian Empire could claim to be the fourth largest machine building industry in Europe. However when the Great War began due to the assassination of Archduke Franz-Ferdinand the Empire was far from ready for a prolonged conflict which it was about to enter. Rife with internal discontent and conflicting ideals, the Austrian Empire would be reforged in the flames of the greatest war in human history.

Lead by Emperor-King Franz-Joseph I, a fellow of Queen Victoria herself, and his ministers Count Karl von Stürgkh and Count István Tisza, the Austrian Empire was about to face its greatest trial. By the time that the Great Wars end, the Empire would’ve suffered both humiliating defeats and glorious victories… the only question was would those very suffered triumphs and travails allow the Empire to rise like a phoenix… or fall forever?

zjtohj.jpg

His Imperial and Royal Apostolic Majesty, Francis Joseph I, by the grace of God Emperor of Austria; Apostolic King of Hungary, King of Bohemia, Dalmatia, Croatia, Slavonia, Galicia, Lodomeria, Illyria; King of Jerusalem, etc.; Archduke of Austria; Grand Duke of Tuscany, Crakow; Duke of Lorraine, Salzburg, Styria, Carinthia, Carniola, the Bukovina; Grand Prince of Transylvania; Margrave of Moravia; Duke of the Upper & Lower Silesia, Modena, Parma, Piacenza, Guastalla, Oswiecin, Zator, Cieszyn, Friuli, Ragusa, Zara; Princely Count of Habsburg, Tyrol, Kyburg, Gorizia, Gradisca; Prince of Trent, Brixen; Margrave of the Upper & Lower Lusatia, in Istria; Count of Hohenems, Feldkirch, Bregenz, Sonnenberg, etc.; Lord of Triest, Kotor, the Wendish March; Grand Voivode of the Voivodship of Serbia.

Ottoman Empire
2n0ud1i.png
Once the fear and envy of Europe, the Ottoman Empire was not known as the “Sick man of Europe” for nothing. Though still in possession of a vast Empire and a population of twenty seven million, the Ottomans had slowly been stripped to the bone. Having lost her European territories such as Greece, and much of the Balkans in addition to her North African vassal states, she was now tied to Germany in a subservient position; requiring western money and modern arms to maintain her prestige and status. However it was those very subsidies that allowed the Sultan to rearm and maintain his massive armies that also was causing a rift between him and the diehard Muslims whom doubted that the Sultan could truly protect the Holy Places… or was even fully in control of his own country.

Though initially hoping to remain a neutral party in the Great War, Germany’s threats of stopping subsidies and breaking their alliance caused the Empire to side with the Central Powers, bringing the war against the Entente on the Levant and North Africa. Though seeing both victories and defeats in equal measure, one could easily see that the Empire was on its last legs and the Great War might well finish the sick man off for good…

At the time of the Great War the Ottoman Empire was led by Mehmed V and his Grand Vizier Said Halim Pasha.

166yir4.jpg

Sultan Mehmed V Khan, Sovereign of the House of Osman, Sultan of Sultans, Khan of Khans, Commander of the Faithful and Successor of the Prophet of the Lord of the Universe, Protector of the Holy Cities of Mecca, Medina and Jerusalem, Emperor of The Three Cities of Constantinople, Andrinopole and Bursa, and of the Cities of Damascus and Cairo, of all Azerbaijan, of the Magris, of Barka, of Kairuan, of Aleppo, of Arabic Iraq and of Ajim, of Basra, of El Hasa, of Dilen, of Raka, of Mosul, of Parthia, of Diyarbakır, of Cicilia, of the Vilayets of Erzurum, of Sivas, of Adana, of Karaman, Van, of Barbary, of Abyssinia, of Tunisia, of Tripoli, of Damascus, of Cyprus, of Rhodes, of Candia, of the Vilayet of the Morea, of the Marmara Sea, the Black Sea and also its coasts, of Anatolia, of Rumelia, Baghdad, Kurdistan, Greece, Turkistan, Tartary, Circassia, of the two regions of Kabarda, of Georgia, of the plain of Kypshak, of the whole country of the Tartars, of Kefa and of all the neighbouring countries, of Bosnia and its dependencies, of the City and Fort of Belgrade, of the Vilayet of Serbia, with all the castles, forts and cities, of all Albania, of all Iflak and Bogdania, as well as all the dependencies and borders, and many other countries and cities.

Kingdom of Bulgaria
2ef8979.jpg
Often cited as being the weakest and least important member of the Central Powers, Bulgaria at the time was a small country of 5 million citizens that had the dubious honour of being named the Prussia of the Balkans. Though small in every term, they managed to make the world stand in awe as they mobilized a full fifth of their population for the Great War and practically won the war for the Central Powers in the Balkans by their lonesome.

Having already been involved in the Two Balkan Wars only a few years prior, at the outset of the Great War Bulgaria declared “strict and loyal neutrality”. They did not sit on idly by however and led by Vasil Hristov Radoslavov engaged in prolonged negotiations with both the Central Powers and the Entente… Serbia, if only behind the scenes. Bulgaria was hoping to form a Balkan League with themselves, Serbia and Montenegro, but with themselves in the dominant position rather than the Serbians. As such on several occasions the Bulgarians made overtures to the Serbians about being willing to receive territorial concessions on the valleys of the rivers Morava and Vardar, but it came to nothing. Hence when the Central powers diplomats led by John Albert of Mecklenburg called upon the Bulgarian government once again, the Bulgarians were both willing and able to join the war in exchange for territorial promises from Serbia. This may or may not have had something to do with the Ottoman Empires entry into the war and subsequent feeling of being surrounded.

At the time of the war Bulgaria was led by Tsar Ferdinand I as the monarch with Radoslavov serving as his Prime Minister. Ferdinand I came to be known as the “Restorer” in his later years, adopting the ancient introduction of the First and Second Bulgarian Empires. By the time of his death in 1948 he had indeed created an Empire that could rival any that Bulgaria had possessed before in the First and Second Empires.
w9br4o.jpg

His Majesty Tsar Ferdinand I, In Christ the Lord Faithful Emperor and Autocrat of all Bulgarians.

The Entente
2i6kl51.jpg
The Triple Entente also known as the Allied Powers was an alliance made up of the United Kingdom, the Empire of Russia and the Third French Republic. As the war progressed the core three brought in their own allies, though the core three fought the war from start to finish until the Russian surrender at Brest-Litovsk and the soon after signed armistice and peace negotiation. However even during the war itself, nations like Portugal, Japan and Italy would join the alliance hoping for their chance in the Sun.

Often viewed as the more democratic or liberal side of the war, the Entente were still full of contradictions as liberal nations like the United Kingdom and France rubbed shoulders with Russia, possibly the most autocratic nation in the world.

The British Empire
2ephbfr.png

The foremost power of its day, the British Empire was a vast and convoluted mass of dominions, colonies, protectorates and mandates as well as other territories administered by the United Kingdom. At its height the British Empire was the largest empire in the history of mankind, constituting one fifth of the world’s population and almost a quarter of its landmass.

By todays accounts it is agreed that whilst the much famed Pax Britannica ended in 1914, the Empire was far from splintering. Though on the losing side of the Great War, the Empire was secure in its naval dominance allowing it to come through the Treaty of Potsdam with relatively light losses, losing only some minor colonies in Africa and having to pay war reparations… though never to the scale that the French had to. With its predominant navy and mighty army forged from the fires of the Great War, the British Empire would go on to reign as the second greatest (possibly THE greatest) for nearly a century more before being drawn into the fires of the Second Great War…

At the time of the Great War, the British Empire was ruled by King George V with Joseph Cook, Andrew Fisher and Billy Hughes serving as his Prime Ministers.
6h2w01.jpg

His Majesty George V, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and of the British Dominions beyond the Seas, King, Defender of the Faith, Emperor of India.

The French Third Republic
2coon0y.jpg

Truly an ancient power, France had been at the heart of European power plays from the days of Charlemagne, often being cited as the supreme power in Europe. With its large landmass and population she could traditionally field massive armies and the élan of those men could not be questioned. However in the past century France had been on a decline. Whilst larger than ever historically, she had lost some of her vaunted power and military tradition.

Humiliated by the Germans in the Franco-Prussian wars, France signed an alliance with the Russians and was the cause for Britain’s eventual joining of the Entente. Though later on humbled on the Western front, the French soldiers fought bravely and even well for the duration of the war, only breaking when the Eastern front was lost and the Balkans had been captured by the Central Powers peripheral members.

Forced to pay truly monstrous set of war reparations and having large share of her African colonies carved from her, France would finally be forced to realize her secondary status on the continent as opposed to Germany. At the time of the Great War though going through many Presidents, the French Republic was led by entirety of the war by Georges Benjamin Clemenceau and Ferdinand Foch as the Marshal of France.
Tsardom of Russia
2zhmz3r.png

The third largest Empire by landmass, exceeded only by the British and the Mongolians, the Tsardom of Russia spanned over Europe and Asia both, with a population of over 120 million souls. Having been ruled for centuries by the Autocratic Tsars from the House of Romanov, the Empire was a massive powerhouse that had been instrumental in defeating Napoleon in 1812-14. With the largest army in the world, the Empire of Russia was now focused on the West rather than the east.

Signing an alliance with France to counter the rising power of Germany, the Russian Empire was the first Great Power to attack the Central Powers in the aftermath of Austro-Hungarian declaration of war against Serbia and was in the aftermath of the Great War given the lions share of the blame for the conflict. Forced to pay massive war reparations and losing large stretches of territory in Europe, the country was drawn into a massive civil war that would rock the ideological balance in the world.

At the time of the Great War, the Tsardom of Russia was ruled by Nicholas II of the House of Romanov.
2posbp1.jpg

His Imperial Majesty Nicholas II Emperor and Autocrat of all the Russias, of Moscow, Kiev, Vladimir, Novgorod, Tsar of Kazan, Tsar of Astrakhan, Tsar of Poland, Tsar of Siberia, Tsar of Chersonesos Taurica, Tsar of Georgia, Lord of Pskov, and Grand Duke of Smolensk, Lithuania, Volhynia, Podolia, and Finland, Prince of Estland, Livland, Courland and Semigalia, Samogitia, Belostok, Karelia, Tver, Yugra, Perm, Vyatka, Bulgaria and other territories; Lord and Grand Duke of Nizhny Novgorod, Sovereign of Chernigov, Ryazan, Polotsk, Rostov, Yaroslavl, Beloozero, Udoria, Obdoria, Kondia, Vitebsk, Mstislavl, and all northern territories; Sovereign of Iveria, Kartalinia, and the Kabardinian lands and Armenian territories – hereditary Lord and Ruler of the Circassians and Mountain Princes and others; Lord of Turkestan, Heir of Norway, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein, Stormarn, Dithmarschen, Oldenburg, and so forth, and so forth, and so forth.

Last edited:
I must say, the Austrian Emperor has very modest set of medals. Almost a shame the Austrians don't go for the huge medals fond on the Bulgarian Tsar's chest. It probably would have deflected the bullets at his son. Leaving the Archduke with his Czech wife bleeding to death in his arms... But that is for another story. And now that the Prussians are so powerful, perhaps the Kaiser can go with the wishes of one of his predecessors to be titles Emperor of Germany rather than German Emperor? And will anything be done about returning Tuscany to the Hapsburgs, as that land is claimed in their Emperor's titles? That or just everything north of the Po?

I must say, the Austrian Emperor has very modest set of medals. Almost a shame the Austrians don't go for the huge medals fond on the Bulgarian Tsar's chest. It probably would have deflected the bullets at his son. Leaving the Archduke with his Czech wife bleeding to death in his arms... But that is for another story. And now that the Prussians are so powerful, perhaps the Kaiser can go with the wishes of one of his predecessors to be titles Emperor of Germany rather than German Emperor? And will anything be done about returning Tuscany to the Hapsburgs, as that land is claimed in their Emperor's titles? That or just everything north of the Po?

The Germans might indeed claim the more definite title at the end of the Great War, though it isn't really necessary in the long term. Though knowing Wilhelm II he might do it just to satisfy his desire for prestige and respect!

And Tuscany might indeed be... difficult. Whilst Italy will follow OTL with declaring for the Entente, even a victorious CP couldn't enforce land switches on such term I think. I mean even a defeated Italy is still a major power and unilaterally annexing most of Venetia, Lombardie and Tuscany itself would be pretty huge. More than likely the Austro-Hungarian Empire assuming they survive to the end will be glad enough for some concessions in Tirol and some minor claims in the Balkans. They've bigger problems... such as keeping such a fragmented union together.

Quite right. Perhaps some demilitarized zone around the Alps while Serbia gets partitioned between Montenegro, Albania, and Bulgaria?

Quite right. Perhaps some demilitarized zone around the Alps while Serbia gets partitioned between Montenegro, Albania, and Bulgaria?

Quite right indeed. :) Whilst Italy might not be hit quite as hard as some by the dreaded border changing pen, they'll be wrecked enough with war reparations and the humiliation of defeat after having broken their alliance with Germany and Austria-Hungary.

As for the Balkans, that remains to be seen, doesn't it? ;)

Chapter 1: Kaiser, Kanzler und Schattenrats

Whilst Kaiser Wilhelm II had never been truly an unpopular figure, his reputation was not exactly optimal even within his own Empire. An anti-Semite, reactionary and saddled with an inferiority complex that not even building a massive fleet that was second only to the British one could cure. Some cite the cause his arm, which due to his traumatic breech birth had been left withered with Erb’s Palsy. Certainly it did affect his personality and emotional development in his youth. Perhaps to much more of an extent that anyone could see.

As the eldest grandchild of Queen Victoria, much was expected of him and Wilhelm II expected his extended family to embrace him for whom he was, but instead his relations in Britain, Russia and even Romania which was ruled by a cadet branch of House Hohenzollern, the Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen held him ironically… at an arm’s length. With his bluster and supposedly aggressive manner, Wilhelm II was far from the most popular monarch in Europe.

Though understanding this, Wilhelm II kept quiet for the most part and maintained a certain loyalty to his extended family. This went as far as him attempting at the outset of the Great War to stop it from occurring by urging the Austro-Hungarian government to be lenient on the Serbians in a private letter to Franz-Joseph I. However this letter was intercepted by his own government and altered to look more like a show of unconditional support which gave the Habsburg monarch the push he and his government needed to make extensive demands from the Serbians. Though the Serbians agreed to a lion’s share of those very demands… it was not enough and on 12th of august 1914 the Austro-Hungarian army invaded Serbia itself.

Despite the Kaisers best attempts and private messages to George V and Nicholas II (and their responding messages) the three Imperial cousins were unable to halt the beginning of the Greatest War in human history. By the end of it only two of those cousins would hold onto their crowns… and their heads and relations between European nations were forever changed with new families torn asunder by political necessity and hatred.

It was this complicated and touchy situation that Kaiser Wilhelm II found himself in 1915. Increasingly separated from his powerbase with the Reichstag arrayed against the war and his military commanders taking upon themselves more and more executive powers. Though he had been unable to halt the war, he had never stopped dreaming of being able to gain a victory… both physical and moral from it. With the help of his chancellor Theobald von Bethmann-Hollweg he managed to wrest control back from his military before it was too late and began to plan for a way for the Central Powers to achieve victory. To this end he and the Chancellor gathered up a secret cabal constituting of Constantin Fehrenbach, Wojciech Korfanty and Friedrich von Payer. The goal of this cabal was to ensure the Kaisers authority within the Empire itself, and aid in pushing the seemingly weaker Eastern Front into a swifter victory.

2nhizx4.jpg
24b1b3k.png
33w5grs.jpg

Constantin Fehrenbach, Wojciech Korfanty and Friedrich von Payer.

The most notable members of the Cabal were:

Constantin Fehrenbach: a German Catholic he was a member, and major leader of the Zentum (Center) Party in the Imperial Reichstag. A stout monarchist and supporter of the Kaisers new policies, Fehrenbach was a prominent supporter of peace negotiations with the Entente… though not at the cost of German integrity. He succeeded Theobald von Bethmann-Hollweg as the Chancellor of Germany and ensured that the Kaiser had support of the Zentum at critical junctures.

Unlike Fehrenbach, Friedrich von Payer was a liberal politician and as such an unlikely supporter for the Kaiser, but after prolonged horse trading with the Kaiser over political reform agreed to back him in his war, and swayed the liberals to join him as well. He was responsible for drafting the initial Treaty of Potsdam at the end of the Great War.

Strangely, by far the most important member of the cabal was not a German… but rather a Polish gentleman by the name of Wojciech Korfanty. Though initially suspicious of the Chancellors advances, he in the end consented to hear him out and agreed to support the German war effort… not for Germany, but for his beloved Poland. Signing a secret agreement with the Kaiser where in exchange for Polish support on the eastern front, he would allow for a truly independent Poland to be forged from the Russian held Congress Poland, and would allow for a plebiscite be held in Upper Silesia for union with the Polish state. To everyone’s surprise… the Kaiser agreed and to everyone’s even greater surprise old Bill kept the promise to the letter.

Whilst at first the so called Polish Legion numbered only some hundreds, when Korfanty managed to contact a certain Józef Klemens Piłsudski the support became explosive, causing open revolts to break out in Russian held Poland and for thousands upon thousands to make the dangerous trip into Silesia or Krakow where they were armed and trained by either German or Austro-Hungarian forces and then sent into battle. At the conclusion of the Great War, Korfanty became the first Prime Minister of Poland and would go on to be remembered as the father of the nation as much as Piłsudski. Whilst often viewed with conflicted views over his “bargain with the devil”,Korfantys legacy is undoubtedly the most important of the cabal.

But what of the venerable Chancellor Theobald? As the mastermind of the Central Powers victory, the man would be remembered in similar light to the legendary Otto von Bismarck, though in a much more positive light even by his enemies. Though the man died only several years after the end of the Great War, his supposed last words,”For the Empire, always for the Empire” still resonate within Germany to this day and was incorporated into the oath taken by Chancellors to the Empire.

Next time we will take a look at the neutral powers.

While I'm enjoying what's been done so far, I must admit I'm a bit puzzled by this line.

At the time of the Great War, the British Empire was ruled by King George V with Joseph Cook, Andrew Fisher and Billy Hughes serving as his Prime Ministers

Is there any particular reason you've listed the wartime Prime Ministers of Australia and not the UK (i.e. Asquith & Lloyd George), or were you originally intending to list all the wartime PMs from throughout the Empire (UK, Canada, Australia, South Africa, etc), only to change your mind at the last minute?

While I'm enjoying what's been done so far, I must admit I'm a bit puzzled by this line.

Is there any particular reason you've listed the wartime Prime Ministers of Australia and not the UK (i.e. Asquith & Lloyd George), or were you originally intending to list all the wartime PMs from throughout the Empire (UK, Canada, Australia, South Africa, etc), only to change your mind at the last minute?

Second. Going to change that soon. Apologies for confusion.

Chapter 1: Power at Rest, the United States

When the Great War broke out only one of the traditional Great Powers remained neutral, the United States of America. Unlike the other Great Powers, the USA was not in fact located in Europe, but as expected from its name… in America and hence was not drawn into the intrinsic alliances and power struggles that plagued the European empires. Though blessed with a nation the size of a continent and a population nearly equal to the Russian Empire, she had gone “under the radar” so to speak for centuries. Whilst one could never claim that the Americans had been pacifists, they had maintained distance from Europe and hence were not tied to any one side. This proved to be a blessing for the USA as when Europe descended into blood and fire she could maintain her industry and high standard of living.

However in 1915 this ideology of “armed neutrality” was contested by pacifists and Pro-British factions both. The pacifists wanted to stop any sort of war preparations whilst the Pro-British side wished for the USA to declare for the Entente and send troops into Europe to battle the German menace. It was up to President Woodrow Wilson to decide which side to back.

Elected in 1912, Wilson was a member of the Democrat party and the 28th President of the United States. Born in Staunton, Virginia on the 28th of December, 1856 he studied in John Hopkins University where he graduated as a Doctor of History and Political Sciences. His choice of studies would indeed be shown to have been prudent. Guiding the USA through the Great War, Wilson managed not only to maintain America’s neutrality, but to “line its pockets” as the common saying goes. Whilst he never did end up allowing American business or government to give the Entente unsecured loans, he still managed to make a killing out of loans for both sides.
2vi5f03.jpg
2n0lr1x.jpg

Ambassador Johann von Bernstorff and President Woodrow Wilson.

Whilst American neutrality was mainly secured by not intervening with her businesses abroad or sinking her trade ships headed for the UK, more than a notable share also goes to Johann Heinrich von Bernstorff, the German Imperial Ambassador to the USA. Though having earned the ire of the Iron Chancellor himself, von Bernstorffs diplomatic qualities were noted and he served as ambassador from 1908 to 1924, until he returned to Germany to act as Chancellor of Germany.

During the long years of war he was responsible (amongst other things) for:
· Leaking information which Chancellor von Bethmann-Hollweg thought would better relations between the USA and Germany, or harm relations between USA and the Entente. These consisted mostly of government reports which had been tailored to highlight a certain view of looking at the conflict itself. By far the most notable such paper was the “Denial of Unrestricted Submarine Warfare” where Kaiser Wilhelm II supposedly of moral outrage refused to “stoop as low as to kill innocent civilians even in wartime.”
· Helping organize what became known as the Great Phenol Plot, an attempt to divert phenol from the production of high explosives in the United States (which would end up being sold to the British), and at the same time prop up several German-owned chemical companies that made aspirin and its precursor salicylic acid.

When the war ended in 1917, von Bernstorffs received a personal message from Colonel Edward House, an advisor of Wilsons whom stated that,” The day will come when people in Germany will see how much you have done for your country in America.” And indeed, that day came sooner than von Bernstorff would have anticipated with only scant few years having passed before he became the Chancellor of Germany.

---------------------
I'll fully admit that the USA is not my speciality and hence there might be oversights or not enough details here, but I figure that since the focus is on Europe we'll keep it there. :)

Next up, the actual war. First we'll go through troop numbers and dispositions and then get onto the different fronts that the war was fought on.

Last edited:
Two quick notes.

1) Wilson was elected in November 1912, he took office in March 1913.

2) Earlier you said the Russian Empire 'spanned three continents' The only way I see this is if Alaska wasn't sold to the U.S. in the 1860s. Or am I missing something?

Two quick notes.

1) Wilson was elected in November 1912, he took office in March 1913.

2) Earlier you said the Russian Empire 'spanned three continents' The only way I see this is if Alaska wasn't sold to the U.S. in the 1860s. Or am I missing something?

Thanks for the feedback. Seems I've some oversights. :D Fixing now.