AHC: Not Land Cruisers, but maybe Land Monitors or Destroyers?

Ok, I was browsing Youtube recently looking for World of Tanks guides when I came across the April Fool video showing the P1000 Ratte (the one with the twin 11.5" turret). now, it's pretty obvious that whoever wanted to spend any time and effort working this up as a concept was clearly smoking some serious ersatz tobacco.

It did get me thinking however, is/are there a plausible POD(s) that could lead to much larger armoured land vehicles in the first half of the 20th century (I would suggest that by the time aircraft had advanced to late WWII levels, the concept would be obsolete)? If there is, what would such vehicles be used for, and what would their capabilities be? What tactics would they employ and what tactics would be developed for stopping them? What other technology would have to be developed to enable their successful deployment?

What I came up with was the idea of something in the 200-400 ton range, with a main armament of a single 12" naval gun in a hull mount with limited tranverse but good elevation/depression. Power probably initially from oil-fired steam boilers (but could obviously use diesel engines as these are developed), with electric transmission (for several reasons, including the ease of powering multiple track units, damage resilience, and much more simple engineering (no gearing, clutches, or brakes required)). Secondary weapons would be mounted in auxiliary turrets, casemates, or barbettes and would probably consist of machine guns and mortars/howitzers for anti-infantry use, with AA machine guns and cannon on later models.

As far as transmission goes, I'm thinking multiple track units on each side, independently sprung/damped to give a wide range of movement and powered by electric motors within each unit. Overall I'd expect ground pressure to be about the same as a Churchill or a KV-1, and it should be possible to continue operating with one or two track units damaged or destroyed.

What would such a vehicle be used for? My thinking was they're designed purely to break through hardened defensive positions like the Maginot Line or similar, taking out strongpoints and rolling over trench systems to create gaps that can be exploited by tanks and infantry. They wouldn't be available in huge numbers, maybe 10-20 on each side, and controlled at Army level. There would still be a role for more conventional tanks and armoured vehicles on more open warfare, where if they were used at all it would probably be as long-range artillery well behind the front line (of course the best way to defeat one of these vehicles might well be a shot or two from the main gun of another one).

What would they be called? I don't think they're just 'big tanks', sheer size and the difference in employment (not to mention propaganda reasons) might dictate another name. Maybe 'Juggernauts' or 'Behemoths' (possibly 'Grendels' for those of Germanic origin)?

As far as defeating them, I'd expect them to have thick enough main armour that barring a lucky hit from a concentrated artillery barrage or dive bombing, it would take a hit from very heavy artillery (9" plus guns) to penetrate the bridge, main gun bay, or engineering spaces. I'd expect secondary armament positions to have some protection (maybe even an inch or two of armour), but they'd be outside the main armour scheme and more or less expendable (there'd probably be the facility for the crew to retreat inside the main citadel if they came under heavy bombardment). It might be that infantry with breaching charges, grenades, and submachine guns (not to mention the various implements used in trench raids) might be an effective counter, albeit with high casualties (I could see any soldier attacking one of these, destroying/capturing it and surviving getting a big medal, promotion (battlefield commission?), and having his name known by pretty much everyone on either side).

What other technology would be needed for their deployment? Well the obvious point raised by most critics of the idea is the lack of suitable bridges, closely followed by the lack of suitable roads. Since they're intended for breaching trench lines and similar, and massive structures in their own right, I'd imagine fording small to medium sized rivers would be the easy solution, even if work needed to be done to grade slopes on either side (note that this is for movement behind the lines, not under fire). Failing that, the development of something like the Bailey Bridge (modular, with sections capable of being bolted together to make larger units capable of handling the weight) would probably be a high priority, as might perforated steel modular roadway sections for crossing softer ground (and to spread the load at the ends of those modular bridges). RoRo shipping might also be needed earlier, particularly if the British build any (not particularly for amphibious assault, but because going over a beach is likely to be a lot quicker and easier than finding dock facilities capable of handling such a large object).

So, how could such vehicles develop? My thoughts were possibly with an altered WWI - maybe during the war as it happened IOTL, maybe due to a longer and less conclusive war. Possibly no US entry, and no (or different) Russian Revolution, leading to a very different 1918 with no armistice, the war dragging into 1919, when eventually both sides negotiate an armistice and possibly a peace treaty that nobody's happy with (effectively WWI is a 'no score draw', and definitely not 'the war to end all wars'). This leads to a cold war in the 1920s, which goes hot again in the mid to late 1920s or possibly the early 1930s.

Thoughts?

Peacetime...

If there was a proplonged period of peace, the impracticalities of these monsters would still show up, but not the battlefield vulnerabilities. Perhaps a slightly later Great War, so the tank has some time to prove itself a bit more, including a few tank vs tank batles and an assault on a hard target.

Add in a postwar prohibition of large artillery emplacements near the borders, and now, you need and want something that can survive being near the border, and carry a very big gun.

The Germans built 7 124 ton Karl-Gerat self propelled guns OTL

Maybe they could switch out the 60cm or 54cm mortar for a 35.5cm Howitzer on a slightly enlarged chassis, and add some splinter protection and machine guns/autocannon

Actual artillery level protection I don't think is possible

The Karl-Gerat, whilst approaching the size of what I'm thinking of, is a completely different concept - it's basically a huge artillery piece that can move itself from the railhead to it's firing position, and change it's aim.

I'm thinking of a (much) bigger version of the T-28 or the Tortoise. Basically a mobile fortress capable of getting close enough to a bunker to use direct fire on the weak spots (observation ports, gun ports, etc) and penetrate to the interior, rather than indirect fire with a 2 ton+ projectile to penetrate the bunker from above.

It'd be big enough that smaller, less hardened positions (trenches, barbed wire, etc) would just be driven over and crushed, possibly with the addition of a dozer blade (which would also help to protect the front of the vehicle, and be useful for mine clearance).

How would it get around? Even the Maus at 200 tons would collapse most bridges.

As I said earlier, I envision these not as just 'bigger tanks', but something with a different role. As such, they're not going to be a regular part of any armoured formation, they're going to be deployed where necessary to breach fixed fortifications (unlike the Maus, which AFAIK was just seen and (possibly) used as a really big tank). As such, they're not going to be routinely required to cross rivers too large to ford when in/around combat (ok this limits their use in opposed river crossings, but they could still provide direct fire from the friendly bank). It's perfectly possible to build bridges capable of taking 400 tons, it just isn't done routinely as there's normally no need. I did say that something like the Bailey Bridge system would be an obvious piece of accompanying technology to develop. Also, whilst there may be rivers too wide to bridge, there aren't that many that are both too wide and too deep to ford. For those it should be possible to build modular rafts (probably based around the same bridging system), and float across (like the Rhino rafts used on d-day or the Mexiflote system used by UK amphibious forces).

I think their development in/around WWI is probably more likely than in WWII, since I imagine their main purpose is to break the deadlock of trench warfare, and at the time air attack will not be a significant problem due to the limits of technology. That's also why I suspect that at least the early versions might be steam/electric hybrids rather than diesel or petrol/electric. (Electrical transmission/propulsion technology is actually far more mature in this time period than internal combustion engines - electric boats were in use as early as the 1860s.) Steam power does mean that when they're being brought forward for an attack it would probably have to be at night, with the problem of effectively camouflaging them during the day. On the other hand, it would also mean that when they went into action the enemy would know what was coming for them well before they came into view (or at least they would after the first use, initially they'd just be wondering what the enormous cloud of smoke coming towards them was, and probably thinking it was a chemical attack). It also raises the possibility of steam being used as a weapon against infantry attempting a boarding attack, through the use of auxiliary pipework (steam under pressure is horribly dangerous - wave your hand through a plume at even 15-20psi and it'll pretty much melt the flesh off the bones like your hand had been simmered in a stock pot). This does also mean that the crews of such vehicles would have a pretty short life expectancy in the event of a boiler explosion (I imagine there will be some creative engineering around the smokestacks to prevent anyone who managed to get on top from dropping a charge straight down into the boilers).

Basically, I'm wondering what might have happened if when the tank was originally thought of (with very much the same problem in mind - how to break through multiple layers of fixed fortifications), the designers had decided to go big rather than small (which ended up with vehicles that were useful in other situations, but not perhaps as well designed for their original purpose, except with extensive development and in large numbers).

993586678_3427abce1d.jpg

??

Torqumada

And if it encounters a slightly muddy field?

Well the rough Idea I'm working on would have about 10 times the mass of a Churchill or KV-1, and about 10 times the track area, hence a similar ground pressure. Both tanks were noted for being very capable of dealing with conditions a lot worse than a slightly muddy field. Of course anything sticking up out of the ground would concentrate that weight onto a much smaller area, so such a vehicle would be very effective at crushing things such as barbed wire, sandbagged fortifications, field artillery, etc into the ground, until everything was nice and even.

993586678_3427abce1d.jpg

??

Torqumada

Not quite what I had in mind, but thanks for the picture. If I get the chance this evening I'll try to do a few sketches and scan them in (sorry, even after more than 25 years of trying, and a job that involves dealing with technical drawing, it's still something I find far easier to do with a 2H pencil and a pad of paper than a computer).

NothingNow

Banned
And if it encounters a slightly muddy field?

Well, you can build around that, optimizing for a relatively low ground pressure, like say, 4-5psi.

The Landkreuzer P.1500 for instance, if built would have exerted about that, which is half the ground pressure of a standing man does, or about a quarter what a walking man exerts on the ground.
It would practically float over mud. Hell, it'd probably be able to float across anything it couldn't ford if you strapped a couple barges to it, and made sure enough of the bearings were water-tight.

I was thinking that they could be used on the steppes of Central Asia, not many bridges there. I was also thinking about a land aircraft carrier. They could use them in advance of building proper airports. A land carrier would save in the fuel consumption of planes.
I had a fantasy about Japan using them to form a central Asian co-prosperity sphere.

I was also thinking about a land aircraft carrier. They could use them in advance of building proper airports. A land carrier would save in the fuel consumption of planes.

Wut.

How can a land aircraft carrier possibly be easier than bringing in a bulldozer and a few truckloads of PSP? And I really don't understand how it could save in terms of fuel consumption. Could you perhaps explain more about how you see this working?

A 305mm naval cannon sounds way to big even for a 400 ton vehicle. A 280mm railway gun weighted over 200 tons. To have a 305mm gun and be protected from up to 9in artillery fire would require a land cruiser.

If you want a fortress buster then something lack a scaled up SU-152 with a little more armor and maybe an added autocannon.

A 305mm naval cannon sounds way to big even for a 400 ton vehicle. A 280mm railway gun weighted over 200 tons. To have a 305mm gun and be protected from up to 9in artillery fire would require a land cruiser.

If you want a fortress buster then something lack a scaled up SU-152 with a little more armor and maybe an added autocannon.

Having thought about it you may be right there.

Still, for dramatic reasons I like the idea of the main armament being a Very Big Gun (especially as it's also the main reason for building such big vehicles). Perhaps a 9.2" Gun is a more reasonable idea, at 28 tons for the gun and breech? I know it lists the gun and mounting as being 125 tons (don't know if that's short, metric, or long tons, which would make a big difference), which is still a bit high, but that does include quite a lot of metal that would be doing double duty as part of the structure or armour when mounted on a vehicle.

I love the idea of this.

However, I think I need some more info first. Give me something like a ball park figure for the size of these vehicles. How tall, wide, and long?
Second, what are they going to be used for, and why are they needed for that task?
As noted, I think that the 12” gun is both to large and also un-needed (that and the ammo supply is going to be a factor), for what you are suggesting. If firing upon a fixed defense “at their weak points” why would a 6” (155mm or so) not be enough? As far as the bulldozer blade, I think that you are now entering the area where such vehicles would truly have a value.

Looking at the T28:
95 tons, 36.5 long, 15 wide, 9.33 high, 105mm main gun, 8 mph.

Looking at the Tortoise:
78 tons, 33 long, 13 wide, 10 high, 94mm main gun, 12 mph on road, 4mph off-road.

For comparison, the M1 Abrams:
68 tons, 26 long, 12 wide, 8 high, 105mm (or 120mm M1A1 and later), 42mph road, 25mph off-road.

In my own thoughts, I had been toying with the idea of a nuclear powered, football field sized ‘Juggernauts’, armed with either a 12” gun and smaller secondary armaments, or a missile armed version for distant targets/air defense. But enough of that.:D

For your time frame, I have to wonder what the fortifications are going to be? Trenches, bunkers, or what. Second, how fast are your vehicles going to be? A monster carrying a huge gun, and all but invulnerable to standard artillery fire, is going to be very heavy, and very slow. If your monsters are going to be basically like an OTL tank, but just slightly larger, then any terrain or defensive works that would stop their smaller brethren would likely stop them as well.
When I say ‘slightly larger’ I mean the hull size, not weight. So let’s play around with this a bit. Let us say that your vehicle is going to be 40-60 feet long, and proportionately wide, and as tall as it needs to be. Where do we go from there?

Last edited:

NothingNow

Banned

Well, you could reasonably do it if you gave up that level of protection from counter-battery fire.

Most self-propelled guns today aren't even really armored against more than heavy machine gun fire. And if you have maybe like 20-25mm armor over critical components and work-space, especially for protection against enemy aircraft, it should be fine for the most part, since it is just a giant self-propelled artillery piece, and would obviously need to be protected by tanks and anti-aircraft guns.

Having thought about it you may be right there.

Still, for dramatic reasons I like the idea of the main armament being a Very Big Gun (especially as it's also the main reason for building such big vehicles). Perhaps a 9.2" Gun is a more reasonable idea, at 28 tons for the gun and breech? I know it lists the gun and mounting as being 125 tons (don't know if that's short, metric, or long tons, which would make a big difference), which is still a bit high, but that does include quite a lot of metal that would be doing double duty as part of the structure or armour when mounted on a vehicle.

Yeah, that sounds much more reasonable. A 8-9" gun or even a super-heavy mortar of 16-24" caliber should be doable on a 100-200 Ton self-propelled chassis, for a total weight under 400 Tons. It'd be about the size that a pair of Napier Deltics and an electric drive-train would be perfect for the job (and there would be plenty of power left over for the hydraulics etc.)

I'd hazard to guess that the BL 9.2 inch gun should be about 28 short tons or 56,000lbs, given the age of the book wikipedia cites.

What you want isn't a 12", that's far too large. You want a fixed main armament of high calibre, probably 120mm as a bare minimum (tbh you probably want a larger howitzer sized piece that still has good armour penetration). Then you want a couple of turrets with smaller pieces, either secondary armament for dealing with smaller fortifications and enemy troops/armour, or defensive weaponry such as automatic flak weaponry. You also need 360' MG cover provided by fireports placed around the tank.

Armour wise, the top deck and front are going to need a ton, and you'll want the sides well plated as well. However, given the size of the thing it's probably better to go for an all or nothing armour scheme rather than a standard tank style. A thin metal skin, proof against HMGs and shrapnel, but heavy armour around the turrets, magazines, engines, etc...

This is of course assuming you want this to engage the enemy directly, and not be a behind the lines moving artillery piece.