Chickens never evolve

Ducks, geese, and guinea pigs become much more popular. And probably rats are common table food as well. At least among the poor.

Polynesian history will be massively affected, as, if I recall correctly, chickens were, along with pigs and dogs, the only domesticated animals they had. And many islands were too small to support pigs. As a result, Polynesians on many islands might have had to revert to hunter-gatherer lifestyles that otherwise would have had galloculture.

I am guessing they don't provide as good of eggs as those eggs don't really get eaten.

Geese are noted for being extremely aggressive, which may explain why fewer people chose to raise them throughout history. Then you have the fact that ducks and geese are objectively harder to care for, requiring open water that may make them inaccessible to the farmer and may be difficult to find.

Geese are noted for being extremely aggressive, which may explain why fewer people chose to raise them throughout history. Then you have the fact that ducks and geese are objectively harder to care for, requiring open water that may make them inaccessible to the farmer and may be difficult to find.

Albeit duck eggs are eaten commonly in the far east at the very least, so to say. But maybe chickens are more productive...

Are their cousins guinea fowl also not evolved? They were first domesticated by the Romans, and could be used similarly. If not, pigeons, though they're both smaller and greedy for grain.

Rabbits might be used by the rich, who could afford the greater work needed, for meat only. I think the poor would rely more on milk, or milk products, especially from goats and sheep.

Assuming you wipe out the whole genus Gallus, someone breeds a Common Pheasant for its meat rather than its plumage, and you end up with a replacement a little more yellow in the feather and a touch smaller in the egg, maybe.

It would be much harder to describe what things taste like. Hmmm tastes like_______. Also be one less thing to contemplate when bored. What came first the_______ or the egg.

Chicken evolution stops at a tiny version of the t-rex and the "chrex" is considered the most dangerous predator under 3 pounds...but the most delicious.

Tom.

There won't be fried chicken.

352-whoa.jpg

what a bleak world that would be

what a bleak world that would be

Don't you mean 'beak' world? :D (don't hurt me).

Anyway, for the chickens to not evolve, something else would have to fill their niche, theoretically - another species would have to be 'fitter' than the chicken and able to overtake them in the world of semi-flightless, deliciously-fleshed fowl.

Pheasants seem like a good go-to, and are domesticatable, and easy to breed. The only issue is eggs - do other birds lay non-fertile eggs if not mated?