Sen. Joe Biden (DE)
Gov. Evan Bayh (IN)
Sen. Sam Nunn (GA)
Rev. Jesse Jackson (IL)
Sen. John Kerry (MA)

Republicans:
Gov. Pete Wilson (CA)
Sen. Phil Gramm (TX)
Fmr. Gov. and former Secretary of Education Lamar Alexander (TN)
Pat Buchanan (VA)
Fmr. Gov. Jock McKernan (ME)

Be calm, everybody! All runners are not here for now... And you will have some surprises, I guarantee you! This race will be full of electable firsts...

vultan: Damned, I completely forgoteen Zschau. As his past Congressionnal seat has been taken by his predecessor Pete McCloskey, also a Freedomite, it's difficult for him. Let's say he was the Freedom Party candidate for Governor of California in 1994, getting beaten by Pete Wilson but still coming ahead from Democrat John Garamendi (as it would be shameful from Kathleen Brown to be a Democratic candidate as her brother is the first Independant Vice President of the United States). As of Dick Lamm, I have some plans for him, but the Freedom Party is not yet as developed to allow some room for a primary challenge, and Lamm's IOTL decision was more motivated by his belief Perot wouldn't try again.

As a hypothetical voter, I'm rooting for Joe Biden to get the Democratic nomination; but as a fan of the TL, who wants to see this get as dystopic as possible, I really want to see Buchanan beat Wilson for the RNC nomination.

Also, thank you for my new sig :D

Just caught up... Kurt Cobain in a coma, Timothy Dalton playing Bond one last time, Jeb Bush running in 2000, and Japan ton apart by terrorism... I don't know whether or not this TL will be a utopia or dystopia.

« Even if he is now marred by his divorce and the Whitewater scandal, Governor Clinton showed me his trust in my capacities when he put me on the Democratic ticket three years ago. I should follow his steps now, with more success ; it is time to adress the real issues, the ones that, in his high-tech wizardry, President Perot avoided : instead of thinking to climate change and global warming, he preferred to claim he had invented the Internet. »​
-Sen. Al Gore, 1992 vice-presidential nominee (D-TN) on Larry King Live, April, 9 1995

Gore.jpg

« You know, I’m an old man, my dear wife Elizabeth is looking forward to a political career she deserves, I already tried twice to reach the presidency, so what ? Should I run a third time ? I thought about it a lot, and finally no. I have plenty of work here as Senate Minority Leader, and I prefer to lead reforms along with my colleagues in Senate. In fact, I’m planning to retire at the end of this current term. »​
-Senate Minority Leader Bob Dole (R-KS) on Meet the Press, April, 10 1995

ANTHRAX TERROR CONTINUES IN JAPAN​
-Times Magazine, April, 13 1995

« Some in the medias call me a whacko, but I’m far more reasonable that the corrupt businessman who has bought the Oval Office, the liars in the Democratic Party and the do-nothing in the GOP. America deserves a true conservative, a true patriot, an honest man as President. And this President, it will be me ! »​
-Rep. Bob Dornan (R-CA-46) at a meeting in Anaheim, CA, April, 15 1995

Dornan.jpg

The main task of the StormFront organization in early 1995 was to give a direction to a leaderless resistance. The American far right had always been an amorphous grouping of various interests, ranging from survivalists to anti-governmental militias, and also neo-Nazis, Klansmen splinter factions and anti-abortion activists. The very nature of the rising tide in American populism, the lone wolf violent activism, with each one wanting to distance himself at most from the federal government, with its gun control, values of racial equality and economic mishandlings, seemed to be an obstacle to StormFront.

While taking the cover of an information website devoted to nationalistic ideas and protected by the First Amendment, StormFront managed to reunite all these factions into a single goal : toppling the federal government and its new world order and set up a popular revolution, to create a new society on better valors. No matter if the government was secretly ruled by Jews, Muslims, gays, atheists or kitten-eating aliens, or if the new world order would come from a total apocalypse, a racial holy war, an outlawing of abortion or a new Holocaust.

The StormFront board of directors comprised former presidential candidate David Duke, Aryan Nations founder Richard Girnt Butler, White Aryan Resistance leader Tom Metzger, Army of God leader David Leach, former Klansmen Don Black and Louis Beam, Creativity ministers Matthew F. Hale and James Wickstrom and former Special Forces leader Bo Gritz. This unlikely alliance pledged to help whichever militant who was dissatisfied with the current state of affairs and ready to carry violent actions in accord to their far right political line, providing them with information, supplies and even training them in private military facilities, such as the Michigan Militia’s in Redford, MI.

The StormFront organization persecuted mostly President Perot is his speeches, refusing to participate in inept elective politics and wanting to raise awareness from American citizens of the current decay of their country, a few years only from the new Millenium and while nothing has been changed ; the Perot administration was criticized for its gun control package, its pointless military interventions in Africa and other mishandlings.

A few things changed during the year 1995 : first, the incredible violence of the Eiffel Tower terrorist attack and the Aum Shirinkyo terror campaign convinced the StormFront leaders to ask their followers not to use non-conventional weapons, such as nuclear and chemical ones, claiming it would be a disgrace for the American people, but also to prevent heavy FBI investigations. As the 1996 presidential campaign approached, the need for a major destabilization came into fruition…

- Outrun my Gun-A Short History of the Militia Movement, Winner for Documentary Film Price at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival

« The Republican Party is not following the right path, as it is going to much to the right, without any regards to the realities of the current world. This is why I have become candidate to the Presidency of the United States. »​
-Sen. Richard Lugar (R-IN), in a meeting at Washington D.C., March, 18 1995

Lugar.jpg

« We have just received reports that a major explosion occurred in Oklahoma City. I repeat, a federal building in Oklahoma City, the Alfred P. Murrah building, which hosted SSA, DEA and ATF offices, was partly destroyed by a massive explosion. It is unclear what caused the explosion, and how many victims were killed in the blast, although the death toll must be high. International terrorists, like for the World Trade Center attacks two years ago, are currently under suspicion. We’re waiting for more information… »​
-CNN, March, 19 1995
OklahomaCity.jpg

The President was deeply moved by the Oklahoma City bombing. After he adressed the nation from the White House, pledging to find and punish the authors of the attack, and ordering all planes in Oklahoma to be grounded to prevent the bombers to flee, he sat at the Resolute Desk, staring into space, visibly shaken. When I arrived, he told me : « I hope this was an islamist attack, like in France. Or a doomsday cult, like in Japan. We can deal as hard as we want with these bastards. » I asked him what it meant. « Clay, he said, this was carried out on the second anniversary of the Waco siege. If the gun-toting bonkers are now after me, it will be a fight against our fellow citizens. And this is nothing more terrible than that ».

When he received notifications from the FBI of the arrest of Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols, he was horrified to learn that they were army veterans and were regular customers from gun shows organized after the Waco siege and the debate over the Guns Control Package. He told Attorney General Tom Barr : « It was far more easy to deal with Aidid, Saddam and the Rwandans… Jeane, Colin, James, they knew how to deal with these guys. But now, this is personnal. They want to spill the blood to punish me, the blood of their countrymen. This is not a civil war, but they want to. » He ordered all flags at federal buildings to be put at half-staff and ordered part of Pennsylvania Avenue, in front of the White House, to be closed to traffic.
-From The President’s Son-in-Law : Memoirs from Washington, by former White House Counsel Clay Mulford

SECOND ROUND BETWEEN CHIRAC AND JOSPIN ; BALLADUR TAKES THIRD PLACE, TAKES THE BLAME FOR LACK OF RESPONSE AFTER EIFFEL TOWER ATTACK
-Le Monde, April, 23 1995

We visited Oklahoma City’s Ground Zero on April, 23 with most of the White House Staff, accompanying President Perot, Attorney General Tom Barr and various prominent people. Governor Frank Keating led the visit, during which President Perot made his show of the Texan old men, promising the victims’ families to search and condemn those who had carried the attack on the « good ol’ Texan way ». It was rather inappropriate, given the tense atmosphere at the spot.

It was one of the few times I saw President Perot losing his temper ; in a different way that all the others, not a short, impulsive and capricious outburst, but a real shock, that left him unable to respond, he, one of the most hyperactive politicians of this political era. First time was when I saw his eyes filled with tears, visiting the wounded children at the hospital, as the federal building hosted a daycare. The second time was then a woman, who had lost her husband and several friends in the attack, broke off the Secret Service protection and yelled at the President that had he not trashed the Constitution with gun control, that horror wouldn’t have occurred. He remained silent, staring as if he couldn’t believe what had happened. When the Secret Service proceeded to drag the woman away, he became furious, shouting that he had done what was necessary, and if someone wanted the job, he would be happy to give it to anybody.
Unfortunately, the whole incident was caught on camera, and damaged the President’s image.

What was not caught on camera were the words he adressed me aboard Air Force One. He glazed at me, then asked me if I had ever been chastised, bullied or even threatened because of my skin color. I told him it had occurred to anybody, me included, and that I hadn’t any grudge against the racists after that. He sighed and told me : « Be careful with you, Hill. Don’t tell strangers you work in the White House, heh ? »
-Former Vice President of the United States Hill Harper (F-IA), interviewed on CNN, September, 8 2011

Perot2.jpg

PRIME MINISTER MURAYAMA TOMIICHI REFUSES THE DIET’S OFFER TO PROCLAIM STATE OF EMERGENCY
-Asahi Shimbun, April, 26 1995

« I come from one of the most famous American families, a true dynasty that has embodied the American dream. But even if some said I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth, I am more on the same wavelength with the American people than most of the current politicians. I have represented for years my beloved state of West Virginia, and I’m now veiling for the top spot. »
-Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-WV) on a meeting at Charleston, WV, May, 2 1995

Rockefeller.jpg

PRO-BIRTH PACKAGE PASSES CONGRESS WITH REPUBLICAN-FREEDOMITE SUPPORT ; TAX CREDITS FOR LARGE FAMILIES, REPEAL OF MARRIAGE TAX PENALTY
-Washington Post, May, 4 1995

HYDROGEN CYANIDE RELEASED INTO SHINJUKU STATION VENTILATION SYSTEM ; BUSIEST TRAIN STATION IN THE WORLD HIT BY DOOMSDAY CULT, THOUSANDS DEAD AND COUNTING
-Los Angeles Times, May, 5 1995

JACQUES CHIRAC ELECTED PRESIDENT
-Le Monde, May, 7 1995

Chirac.jpg

« I’m maybe not well-known throughout the Union, but I am a true Southerner, Chris, and I know what this country needs : a return to its good old values, with all due respect to the Constitution and with enough power to handle the country. This tragedy in Oklahoma City convinced me that Perot is unfit to lead ; and believe me, it’s not a Democrat who’s gonna change that. That’s why I can announce you I am candidate to the Presidency of the United States of America. »
-Fmr. Gov. Carroll A. Campbell, Jr. (R-SC), May, 8 1995

Campbell.png

CAMPBELL MAKES SURPRISE BREAKTHROUGH IN GOP FIELD; GORE FRONTRUNNER FOR DEMS
-Washington Post, May, 14 1995

« … »
-Transmission from radio stations and TV stations located in Nagoya, Japan, May, 16 1995, 6.33 AM local time(May, 15, 9.33 PM GMT)

Presidential candidates as of May 1995:

Freedom:
Incumbent Ross Perot (TX)

Democrats:

Fmr. Gov. Robert P. Casey (PA)
Sen. Joe Biden (DE)
Gov. Evan Bayh (IN)
Sen. Sam Nunn (GA)
Rev. Jesse Jackson (IL)
Sen. John Kerry (MA)
Sen. and 1992 vice-presidential nominee Al Gore (TN)
Sen. Jay Rockefeller (WV)

Republicans:
Gov. Pete Wilson (CA)
Sen. Phil Gramm (TX)
Fmr. Gov. and former Secretary of Education Lamar Alexander (TN)
Pat Buchanan (VA)
Fmr. Gov. Jock McKernan (ME)
Rep. Bob Dornan (CA)
Sen. Richard Lugar (IN)
Fmr. Gov. Carroll Campbell (SC)

Plumber - Come on, I'm French, I had the Eiffel Tower blown up, I have the right to destroy a bit Japan!...

... I can't believe I actually wrote that. As of the approval ratings, Perot is somewhere in the 40s. It's quite good for someone who hasn't won the popular vote, who have a strong will for reform, who has avoided the political traps and managed a great breakthrough for his new party. However, people have concerns with his gun control policies and the usefulness of the interventions in Somalia and Rwanda. And now that Oklahoma City has occurred...

John Fredrik Parker - Such an honor! Thank you Sir!

RamscoopRaider, historybuff, thekingsguard - Thanks a lot! You have not seen anything! More feedback, maybe, dear readers?

Just a thougt, with the muslim attack on Paris can be possible some repercussion on the Yugoslavia civil war, after all european public opinion can be wary of helping the muslim, expecially if the Serbs play well the media card and avoid openly massacre etc. etc. on the other side, maybe are the european patner to push for an attack so to show some muscle and make know to the world that they are not pushover to be triffled.
And i think of Italy, with the increase of wave of immigrants expecially from north africa we can see an increase of paranoia and xenophobia just to pour some oil on the flame.

This IS a dystopic TL. A nuke goes off in Japan (presumably) and the rednecks are turning to terrorism, too. But the most glaring indicator is Edmund Stoiber as German chancellor :eek:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
That's all I can say for now, but really interesting development:rolleyes:

Attached is a photo of PM Murayama addressing the United Nations:p

murayamaun.gif

Last edited:
Two more photos for mischellaneous reasons:p

Prime Minister Murayama looking smart:
attachment.php

OTL photo, with a TV screen showing Murayama's resignation:D:

plt1001051628007-p1.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmmm... Let me re-formulate a previous statement of mine about this TL: it's not "a little dystopic-leaning", it's better described as "on this side, glory, on the other, painful agonising failure".
It really seems like anything, positive or negative, can happen in any time and it sure helps to keep the readers hot for the (luckily frequent) updates. It means you know how to sell your product!
Thumbs up for making Amato premier. I over-looked him while thinking for a possible successor of Occhetto and there's no doubt the Progressisti would have chosen someone with previous government experience for the role.
Though it'd be nice to know if TTL Giuliano is still a party outsider (formally independent from the PDS) or he took full membership in one of the Coalition parties.

About possible "waves of immigrants"

And i think of Italy, with the increase of wave of immigrants expecially from north africa we can see an increase of paranoia and xenophobia just to pour some oil on the flame.

Any law Giuliano Amato or his successors will propose to front the problem of the future of the immigrants (let's not forget immigration is NEVER a problem if you are prepared for the people who come and you know how to manage the different cases) is surely going to be better than the Bossi-Fini. And that's a fact. Criminalising everyone who trespasses the border can only be described as ultimately useless at best and utterly suicidal at worst.
OTL Amato is sufficiently pro-Europe that his ATL self could very well take government action according to the EU lines about immigration, the same that avoided any relevant accidents in Germany when hundreds of thousands of Yugoslavs knocked on its door in 1999. No Leaguers as ministers is always a good step in the right direction!

Any law Giuliano Amato or his successors will propose to front the problem of the future of the immigrants (let's not forget immigration is NEVER a problem if you are prepared for the people who come and you know how to manage the different cases) is surely going to be better than the Bossi-Fini. And that's a fact. Criminalising everyone who trespasses the border can only be described as ultimately useless at best and utterly suicidal at worst.
OTL Amato is sufficiently pro-Europe that his ATL self could very well take government action according to the EU lines about immigration, the same that avoided any relevant accidents in Germany when hundreds of thousands of Yugoslavs knocked on its door in 1999. No Leaguers as ministers is always a good step in the right direction![/QUOTE]

Unfortunely at least imho immigration is always a big social and organizzative problem if you organize, if you don't let's begin the disaster it's not even begin to describe...and Italy with is huge coastline is always been one of the preferred point of passage for the immigration legal and expecially not legal. With the Paris attack the mood in continental Europe will probably switch on one more against muslim sad but true (and honestly in the end the various european government can let Italy do the dirty work as one of the frontline country, just raisin some voice in Bruxelles but in the end do nothing except a sigh of relief).
On this tone, Fini and the League can get a huge boast if they ride the fear of boat full of potential terrorist

Status
Not open for further replies.