Battle of Monterey POD

What if the forts on Independence and Federation hills had not fallen? How would this effect the battle? And how could it possibly effect the Mexican-American war?

Well, the two forts were basically the keys to the city's backdoor due to their strategic position and possesion of artillery. However, I'd be glad to broaden the question posed and just ask what the possible consequences of a mexican defensive victory at Monterey would be.

I don't think it changes the outcome of the war very much. However Mexico might end up with a tiny bit more of territory from New Mexico in the end (if anything).

Monterey held pretty good IOTL for a while, Zachary Taylor actually requested an armistice in the Monterrey front, a move that almost cost him his career, after being unable to take the city as fast as he though he could. After he finally did mange to capture Monterrey he proceeded to Saltillo. If Monterrey holds we can assume Taylor is unable to conquer Northern Mexico past Tamaulipas and Nuevo Leon a good thing for Mexico.

However Kearney had already taken Santa Fe and was moving towards California, Fremont had already trecked across California (not to mention a US naval fleet was still in control of the Pacific coast Acapulco to San Diego).

But most importantly Winfield Scott had already landed in Veracruz. Puebla will still declare neutrality and allow Scott to march into Mexico City, which would be taken.

The treaty was signed as Mexico City was occupied.

Effects of the POD

Well firstly, Scott didn't land in Veracruz until March 1847, a few months after the fall of Monterey. So in my opinion, if Monterey had repulsed its attackers or held out longer at least some, if not most, of Scott's forces might have been diverted there. This would most likely postpone the amphibous assault on Veracruz and give Mexico the opportunity to draw the Americans into a slugfest through nothern mexico, which might be enough to result in either a negotiated piece in which they hold on to significant parts of new mexico or exaust the Americans enough that they are ripe for a counterstrike- in montainous terrain where the U.S advantage in artillery is partially neutralized.

But I'm interested in everybody's opinion, so please feel free to disagree with me as long as you have ideas as to what would happen following the initial POD.

Kingp