Where Do Your First Write Your AH?

When you write alternate history timelines do you write it as you post the thread or do you write it beforehand on Microsoft Word or something? As for me it's the previous option.

I usually wrote it first on the forum, in cases where I can't write whatever all in one sitting I'd use Notepad to save it.

I've always used the forum, though since it logs me off sometimes when I look for info, I'll copy it on to notepad. I don't save it just have it there to copy back.

I use the TLs I write as worlds for short fiction or novels I intend to use to make money, so...

The less developed ones go in the "Alternate History Idea File," while the more developed ones get idea files of their own (such as "Apartheid Superpower Idea File").

Well my personal style is sort of a write-as-you-go thing, so the story can evolve and develop as I think of new things, so I write each segment in an RTD first (and save it) and then I post it once I've finished the segment.

Sachyriel

Banned
I've written a few one-offs entirely on the New Thread page. Heck, I've written entire chapters in the New Post page. But I tend to use Google Documents.

Deleted member 5719

word for spelling.

Then I post it and notice the grammars fucked :eek:.

Edit.

Then I realise the punctuation is knackered.

Edit.

At least it keeps the view count ticking over, even if it's only me looking.

mowque

Banned
I plan it out in my head while at work. The feverishly type it into Word when i have a chance. The proof-read, then paste into New Post.

Pkmatrix

Monthly Donor
I plan it while I have time (jotting ideas down in this a little notebook I walk around with), write the rough draft in Word, and make final edits after I copy it to the Internet just before posting.

In order:
  1. Scratch notes - found everywhere, some examples include notepaper, blank paper, church bulletin, post-it notes, index cards, and even cardboard at some points.
  2. Rough drafts - countless word documents
  3. Fixed copy - one solid word document, highlighted in different colors so I know what I still need to do with it, such as add more detail, place stuff before it, etc.
  4. Master copy - one final word document, with final touch-ups, such as font size, word choice and layout.
  5. Presentation - if posted, copy/pasted into the forum, then use "Preview Post" to correct anything and make it look good before I hit "Submit Reply"
This especially holds true for the TL I'm working on now, I really want it to be solid :eek:

MacCaulay

Banned
...Cold Lake, Northern Lights, and my portion of The Battle of Tim Hortons were all written on Word 2003.

I never write straight onto the site when it's a story unless I'm correcting spelling or grammar errors.