Jewish Belarus

1kIAZH9.png

The National Flag of Belarus

In a timeline where the Khazars make it further west, some Slavs convert to Judaism. The Kryvich tribes around Polatsk specifically take the religion seriously, eventually developing their own version (known as Kryvich Judaism) akin to Karaite Judaism OTL. Differentiated from other Jews by their rejection of the Oral Torah and numerous local traditions, Belarusian Jews use red ruchniks (traditional Slavic fabric weaves) as their prayer shawls. The segmented Star of David, known as a Kryvich Star, appears on the flag in the same way it does on prayer ruchniks.

biswO8H.png

Example of a prayer ruchnik, with examples of the three major Kryvich symbols: the Kryvich Star, the Holy Gate (a three-barred cross), and the Split Sea (anvil-like shape)

Prayer ruchniks are not standardised, but are generally expected to have at least one Jewish element. Traditionally, it is considered good luck to have all three Kryvich symbols, which are the Kryvich Star, the Holy Gate, and the Split Sea. The Kryvich Star is a mark of faith and unity of family/nation, representing the vision of Prince Ruslan of Minsk. The Holy Gate symbolizes security and safety, and represents the gates of Heaven (in Kryvich Judaism, ideas of Heaven and Hell were syncretized from neighboring Christians). Finally, the Split Sea is a largely abstract symbol thought to predate Judaism in the region, but it is said to represent the splitting of the Red Sea by Moses, bringing safe passage to those who wear it.

Notes:
-The Kryvich(ians) are a real tribe which existed, but there's not much historical record to go on. Belarusians consider them to be one of the predecessors to modern Belarus
-The star is inspired by traditional star/cross patterns which appear on OTL rushniks (also seen here in the logo for the Belarusian Christian Democrats)
-Ruslan is not a real historical person, just made him up. The Star Vision was inspired by Constantine's vision of the Chi-Rho.
-The Holy Gate is inspired by the Temple Menorah which was the most popular symbol of Judaism before the Star of David was popularized in Europe. It is a simplified version which also appears in some Kabbalah manuscripts. I took the name from the Holy Gate of Dawn in Vilnius (mentioned in the Belarusian song "Pahonia")
-The "Split Sea" symbol is a real thing which appears on a lot of weave patterns around the world, I just gave it a new meaning
-Ruchniks are a real thing and are frequently displayed in religious contexts, so I figured they might be used in Judaism if Belarus went in that direction.

Belarus? mor liek.... Belajews! amirite?

*canned laugh track*

View attachment 779865
Here a flag for a future TL of mine
It represent the Concert of Nation, TTL supranational organisation akin to UN or SON
The symbolism is based on a play on the word Concert, with an orchestra layout standing for both the parliament seats and an abstract representation of earth geography as in T-and-O maps. The meaning of the simplified parliament, torch and laurels is obvious, and the colors of the whole are based on French one TTL, since it is the principal power backing the organisation in the first days, even if nowadays they're associated with 'naturals colors of our planet'
Ooo I really like it!

I would change the spacing in the orchestra layout so all the spaces are uniform width

Flag of the Saharan Republic
So, my older brother just got a game, RISK LEGACY, and I like desert nations, so I immediately went for the Saharan Republic. This is what I would imagine the flag would be like.
1665163339451.png

The Orange represents something obvious, right?
The Purple Drain represents the life-giving waters of the Nile and the richness of the Saharan Republic (although they are rich because of a black liquid)
The Blue represents the water.
Any thoughts? DO NOT HESITATE to tell me.

Freeflag286.png

freeflag162.png

In your opinion, which of the two are better in terms of design?

Additional note: I tend to lean more toward the design rather than symbolism, as I'm kinda bad at assigning symbols for parts of a flag, let alone a coat of arms/national emblem.

Flag of the Saharan Republic
So, my older brother just got a game, RISK LEGACY, and I like desert nations, so I immediately went for the Saharan Republic. This is what I would imagine the flag would be like.
View attachment 780036
The Orange represents something obvious, right?
The Purple Drain represents the life-giving waters of the Nile and the richness of the Saharan Republic (although they are rich because of a black liquid)
The Blue represents the water.
Any thoughts? DO NOT HESITATE to tell me.

I would simplify the overall design, for example, instead of a blotch to represent water, maybe just have a blue line or repeated curves. You might also want to better use the negative space: Instead of placing the drain and water in an arbitrary spot, have them extend to the edges for example.

saharanrep.png

Last edited:
My proposal for a Pan-Celtic flag, and a guide to it's components:

bvlg5wo22ts91.png

imsznwo22ts91.png
As a man with a lot of Cornish heritage...

Yeah, not bad actually. I quite like it. Though possibly try using the lighter proper Scottish shade of blue in their triangles, rather than the darker blue used in the Union flag as a result of Royal Navy practice?

My proposal for a Pan-Celtic flag, and a guide to it's components:

bvlg5wo22ts91.png

imsznwo22ts91.png

Issues I can see is the Manx "Inverted white Y" is hard to tell apart from the Cornwall / Scotland combined "inverted white Y" and Brittany' section seems both isolated (it is not combined with anything) and gives the *impression* of occupying less space than elements that are duplicated to the hoist and fly.

Lastly, where does the vertical part of the "inverted red Y" comes from ?

Aha has ended up looking very similar to the above (very impressive) compilation/design but here's my new compilation of flags from my SG/TL This Sceptred Isle as of 1816. This shows the flags of the Brytisk Empire, it's nations (Rics), regions (Amter) and colonies (Kolonis).

Credit to @Turquoise Blue for the original Empire flag and to @Archaembald for the colonial maps.

ie3e6vd.png

Last edited:
Well, I have returned from another hiatus. I bring a flag design which I thought would be interesting, a flag made in a hurry during an extraterrestrial attack.
Anti-Mictlan Flag.png

Basically an alien species, which resemble Mictlantecuhtli from Aztec codex's, arrive to Earth. They start their invasion by bombing Arizona and New Mexico, as well as Central America, before landing in Mexico City with an actual invasion force. Their resemblance to the Aztec ruler of the underworld and their landing in Mexico City makes many people believe that they came before (Ancient Aliens anyone?) but people in the invasion area obviously don't have time to focus on that.

The story behind this flag is that when the Mictlan (the species nickname by humans) army arrives to the US border they are able to overrun the shattered defenses, and this flag was hastily spray painted on a white sheet as a symbol of defiance against the Mictlans, before the border of Arizona was overrun. The war would turn however once North American and South American forces would arrive en masse, attacking on two fronts and forcing the Mictlans back to Mexico City, where they would be destroyed. Maybe the Mictlans still thought the human species was at pre-Columbian levels of advancement (cough, ancient aliens, cough). This flag would be one of the prevailing symbols of humanity afterwards, as while the maker is unknown, the picture of it waving in front of an advancing Mictlan army would be spread across the world.

I'll have my other Tsalal-adjacent flags up at some point when I have a bit more time but in the meantime here's something completely unrelated! It's a flag for the United Commonwealths of Columbia, an alt-US from an in-universe Reds!-style novel in Power Without Knowledge where the US has a Cosmicist Revolution instead of Antarctica. Aside from the Cosmicist color and symbolism the stripes are meant to evoke the unfinished pyramid on the obverse of the Great Seal and as it expands the meaning of the stars will gradually shift to representing the 11 "American Nations", plus central and southern Mexico. The new national animal is the honeybee owing to its use by the Commonwealth Party and the national motto is "Proferimus, defendimus".

UCA.png

-Flag of the United Commonwealths of Columbia.
Considered the first true work of Antarctic literature, City on a Hill was published in the 2080s by a (presumably) American exile writing under the pseudonym James Palmer* and unsuccessfully suppressed by Macondo almost immediately. A work of uchronia, Palmer begins with a series of small organizational changes early in the history of the Commonwealth Party that strengthen it, butterfly the sinking of the Kanaloa and gradually compound until the fateful 2060 election, where a breakdown in the corrupt bargain between the New Federalists and the America First Party prevents the impeachment of the Commonwealth ticket and the subsequent mass arrests and suppression of the party. This, in turn, leads to an America First-affiliated military coup, forcing the NeoFeds and the Commonwealthers into a Common Ground alliance and shifting the balance of power within the Commonwealth party even further toward the Cosmicist faction.

The ensuing civil war further solidifies this shift, as the purely electoral dominance of the New Federalists pales in comparison to the tight integration of the now fully Cosmicist Commonwealthers when it comes to actually prosecuting the war, and the aftermath sees the latter in a strong enough position to form a provisional government and push through a new constitution, inaugurating the United Commonwealths of Columbia that gradually expands over the continent. City on a Hill covers a broad historical scope, beginning with the earliest years of the Cosmicist Party in the 2030s and going through the period of civil war and into the resulting Cold War phase between the UCC and its allies** and the reactionary forces of the Eurasian Union and the Hong Kong Accords, eventually concluding in the new century***.

The novel is told in an unconventional semi-epistolary style, combining more traditional prose sections with in-universe documents, wikiboxes, and purely informational interludes and appendices. In this way it provides a fascinating glimpse into the theory and praxis of the Cosmicist movement in the late twenty-first century, and would in turn provide plenty of inspiration to the Constitutional Convention that arose out of the post-revolutionary Cosmicist consolidation period. For example, although the new three-member presidency had been suggested by Sutter himself in the Manifesto, the structure of the new Continental Congress with its web of interlocking chambers was a new development that would be imported nearly wholesale by the new government, with the three-member Executive instead recycled for the Kurfursts of the Regional Commonwealths. City on a Hill would also be instrumental in outlining the shape eventually taken by the Cosmicist International. James Palmer him/her/themself would never be conclusively identified, though the name lives on as one of the most common in the nation that owed so much to the novel.

*This is commonly cited for inspiring the current Antarctic trend of recycling the names of explorers and scientists associated with the continent. Many were originally chosen as pen names during the underground period of the movement before being adopted en masse as noms de guerre during the Revolution.

**The oldest sister Commonwealth was in the south Pacific, born out of a concurrent revolution begun by the crew of the Kanaloa, but the Cosmintern would eventually add two in the Americas, two in Africa and even one in Europe over the course of the novel.

***In a stroke of historic irony the novel concluded in the same year the Antarctic Revolutionary Commonwealths would be created in the real world.

Last edited:
Well, I have returned from another hiatus. I bring a flag design which I thought would be interesting, a flag made in a hurry during an extraterrestrial attack.
View attachment 780949
Basically an alien species, which resemble Mictlantecuhtli from Aztec codex's, arrive to Earth. They start their invasion by bombing Arizona and New Mexico, as well as Central America, before landing in Mexico City with an actual invasion force. Their resemblance to the Aztec ruler of the underworld and their landing in Mexico City makes many people believe that they came before (Ancient Aliens anyone?) but people in the invasion area obviously don't have time to focus on that.

The story behind this flag is that when the Mictlan (the species nickname by humans) army arrives to the US border they are able to overrun the shattered defenses, and this flag was hastily spray painted on a white sheet as a symbol of defiance against the Mictlans, before the border of Arizona was overrun. The war would turn however once North American and South American forces would arrive en masse, attacking on two fronts and forcing the Mictlans back to Mexico City, where they would be destroyed. Maybe the Mictlans still thought the human species was at pre-Columbian levels of advancement (cough, ancient aliens, cough). This flag would be one of the prevailing symbols of humanity afterwards, as while the maker is unknown, the picture of it waving in front of an advancing Mictlan army would be spread across the world.

"E" for Earth only makes sense in english and the star (at least in north america) is only connected to the US so making it a flag meant to represent the human forces as a whole may lack "universality".

Maybe the flag would be a bit more universal by ditching the star and "E" and limit yourself to the central emblem. If you want something represent earth, you could have a blue circle in canton representing "The Blue Planet".