Henry VIII dies in December 1536

...there would be. Her name is Mary. She was seen as the wronged heir ever since 1533.
Not true. Even in 1536, with the Pilgrimage of Grace, it was clear Mary was illegitimate and no heir, since one of their demands was her restoration, so the country knew she had no claim at that time - otherwise she wouldn't need to be restored - even if she was "wronged" by the King. So, with Henry dead c.1536, Mary has no legal right - and the people who rose for the Pilgrimage of Grace know that.

Not true. Even in 1536, with the Pilgrimage of Grace, it was clear Mary was illegitimate and no heir, since one of their demands was her restoration, so the country knew she had no claim at that time - otherwise she wouldn't need to be restored - even if she was "wronged" by the King. So, with Henry dead c.1536, Mary has no legal right - and the people who rose for the Pilgrimage of Grace know that.

But they clearly wanted Mary back as heir. Why wd they want her restored if they didn't consider her legitimate?

Last edited:
But they clearly wanted Mary back as heir. h wd they want her restored if they didn't consider her legitimate?
Again, you misunderstand (perhaps deliberately, I wonder?); if she was legitimate, she would not need to be restored. Hence, the fact that they were asking it indicated that she was not heir or legitimate at the time of the Pilgrimage of Grace - if she was, they would not need to ask!

I think recognising she had been declared illegitimate (and seeking to rectify it) and believing she was illegitimate are entirely different kettles of fish.

I think recognising she had been declared illegitimate (and seeking to rectify it) and believing she was illegitimate are entirely different kettles of fish.
Yes, perhaps, but they certainly understood that she had been declared illegitimate, meaning she couldn't inherit.

Again, you misunderstand (perhaps deliberately, I wonder?); if she was legitimate, she would not need to be restored. Hence, the fact that they were asking it indicated that she was not heir or legitimate at the time of the Pilgrimage of Grace - if she was, they would not need to ask!
The point is on paper she is illegitimate,but to most people,she is a legitimate princess,which is the important thing.What’s written on paper has no bearing if the people have no willingness to enforce it.

I imagine there might be a civil war in England if Henry were to die in 1536. It seems that most of England was still Catholic and the dissolution of the monasteries created a great deal of economic upheaval in the country. The latter had been important to the local economy by assisting the poor. Additionally, they were one of the few places where educational opportunities were available. On 11 March 1524, Henry VIII was nearly killed in a jousting accident, at that time Mary's succession would be all but secured.

As for marriage candidates in 1536, I believe Charles II of Orleans is too young as he is six year her junior. I imagine her supporters would want to betroth her to a warrior prince. Philip of Palatine-Neuburg (1503-1548) had visited England and the two seem to have been taken to one another, he had fought the Turks at Vienna and gained the Golden Fleece from the Emperor, so he's a good candidate. He's also thirteen years her elder and only her fourth cousin. Another candidate is Luis, Duke of Beja (1505-1555) her maternal first cousin. He commanded the Portuguese army during the Conquest of Tunis in 1535 and he was often mentioned as a suitor for Mary. Of course there is also James V of Scotland (1512-1542) who becomes widowed after the death of Madeleine of Valois in July 1537. This could cement the union of the two crowns and avoid any conflict between Princess Mary and her aunt regarding their rival claims to the English crown.

My apologies, I did not see that when I wrote it.

Original post: "Because of combination of events, that would not last long" implying Henry dies relatively soon after his accident, certainly not long enough to change the will.

Well, in 1536, Henry Grey is only 19. So he's not had a chance to do a lot yet...
Give him a year or two to screw up spectacularly and have Mary swoop in, just like otl, only earlier.

Of course, Charles Brandon could rally support for his daughter and we'd have a lovely recipe for a nice long civil war.

Give him a year or two to screw up spectacularly and have Mary swoop in, just like otl, only earlier.

Of course, Charles Brandon could rally support for his daughter and we'd have a lovely recipe for a nice long civil war.
Ahhhh, one loves a civil war!

As for marriage candidates in 1536, I believe Charles II of Orleans is too young as he is six year her junior. I imagine her supporters would want to betroth her to a warrior prince. Philip of Palatine-Neuburg (1503-1548) had visited England and the two seem to have been taken to one another, he had fought the Turks at Vienna and gained the Golden Fleece from the Emperor, so he's a good candidate. He's also thirteen years her elder and only her fourth cousin. Another candidate is Luis, Duke of Beja (1505-1555) her maternal first cousin. He commanded the Portuguese army during the Conquest of Tunis in 1535 and he was often mentioned as a suitor for Mary. Of course there is also James V of Scotland (1512-1542) who becomes widowed after the death of Madeleine of Valois in July 1537. This could cement the union of the two crowns and avoid any conflict between Princess Mary and her aunt regarding their rival claims to the English crown.
Philip of Palatinate visited England in 1540. This is four years AFTER the POD. Also, six years is not a big age gap: Mary's own parents had that age gap. Luis of Beja is suitable: he's of royal blood but is NOT inheriting anything to fear a union. James of Scotland also works with regards to Margaret's claim to the crown.

With James V as the Ferdinand to Mary's Isabella, the parallels are just too obvious to ignore.
I’d rather she married the French dude and unite England and France through peace—-eventually.Franco-English union is something that’s rarely done in this forum,while Anglo-Scottish union is just otl.

With James V as the Ferdinand to Mary's Isabella, the parallels are just too obvious to ignore.
Oh, and a Henry IV of Castile/Henry VIII of England parallel...I love.
I’d rather she married the French dude and unite England and France through peace—-eventually.Franco-English union is something that’s rarely done in this forum,while Anglo-Scottish union is just otl.
Francis III of Brittany? My absolute favorite what-if. However, I do admit that James would be a better match for unification of the British isles...maybe if James V and Madeleine of Valois produced a daughter, and then Francis and Mary produced a son, and the two are married off? Yeah, double first cousins, but it'd fit the whole trend going on then...

Oh, and a Henry IV of Castile/Henry VIII of England parallel...I love.

Francis III of Brittany? My absolute favorite what-if. However, I do admit that James would be a better match for unification of the British isles...maybe if James V and Madeleine of Valois produced a daughter, and then Francis and Mary produced a son, and the two are married off? Yeah, double first cousins, but it'd fit the whole trend going on then...
Either him or the Duke of Orleans.

And it'd be English-screw also (something which is also rarely done) because England would be junior partner in that union and get Frenchified.