AHC: Smallest, most desolate rump state possible

And a senior government official, attempting to flee to the redoubt by ship, discovers it has already fallen and diverts to Marion Island...

For an Apartheid official it's more likely airplane. I just thought Cape Town because while a lot more Anglo dominated then Jo Burg or Pretoria it does have sea access with a port, a population base and some geographic features useful for defense (Table Mountain would make one hell of a protected FOB for South African heavy artillery and aircraft. Planning for expulsions of "Undesirables" and lots of refugee whites (preferably for the Regime Afrikaaners.) and a economy of total crap but it might be their best bet. Inland Last Redoubts are too vulnerable to being cut off and suffering logistical nightmares. That is unless their able to secure deals with say new or existing neigbhoring black states to effectively use their ports.

Maybe add in "Redeker Zones" of fortified eternally besieged smaller redoubts inland designed to attract as much hostile attention as possible and save the main redoubt the extra attacks.

Spains republic flees successfully to part of Africa unfortunately it's Western Sahara, still the French are keeping them propped up and have slowly returned the Canary islands they occupied for them near the end of their civil war to them. So soon it won't be that bad.

A remnant of Franco-era Spain decides that they don't want to hand over power and takes the Baeleric Islands. Citizens get to experience a variant of North Korea lite while tourist behaviors and the industries catering to them make Carnival in Rio look tame and repressed. For tourists, prostitution and hard drugs are quite legal as are live firing ranges with military-grade weaponry, secret bank accounts, gambling, founding of corporations, etc. Ibiza becomes known as even more of a party haven with even more nightlife where official policy allows almost any crime (and, it is whispered, any other visitor!) to be erased...for a price. Most famous is the World theme park

Let's see. How many buildings can we take from Vatican City without it loosing it's status as a 'city'

Could we do something like Vatican City with the Holy Roman Empire: like in just leaving it a palace and two museums in Vienna?

If for some reason the US invades Canada, might they just decide to hang out on Baffin Island? Also, while is is before the 20th century, what if the CSA was given the Bahamas if the British helped them in the war but the union still won? Or maybe they just are confined to the Florida Keys?

If for some reason the US invades Canada, might they just decide to hang out on Baffin Island? Also, while is is before the 20th century, what if the CSA was given the Bahamas if the British helped them in the war but the union still won? Or maybe they just are confined to the Florida Keys?

More spectacular would a post Great War France being reduced to those two Great Banks islands. And those mostly exist to ease US smuggling. Their not entirely the most desolate but going from Paris to St. Pierre is a hell of a turn down.

This is more futuristic, but if a country wanted to, could they seascape an island to make their own country? My idea would be where Silicon Valley type billionaires who take over California and secede but the feds take it back and they end up seascaping a place off the coast claiming to be its legit government. Or maybe they just live on the Faralon Islas off of San Francisco

chopping down trees?
Yeah.... apparently he got a bit bored in exile in Doorn, and needed a hobby and a way to perhaps take out some pent-up aggression.... so he managed to essentially de-forest the place over the span of a few years..... I suppose it kept that one good arm of his in shape as well :)

What about the Russian Imperials holding onto Sakhalin Island in 1918? And/Or the Kamchatka Peninsula and extreme eastern Siberia?

What about the Russian Imperials holding onto Sakhalin Island in 1918? And/Or the Kamchatka Peninsula and extreme eastern Siberia?

More likely would the Russian provisional Republic nominally surviving in the form of a enclave in the Russian far east around Vladivostok. In OTL the Japanese were trying to keep one going but gave in under US pressure. Maybe have the Soviets do something really stupid like massacre a couple hundred captured US Civilians, diplomats, and soldiers from the US expeditionary force and that makes the papers. Or the Soviets briefly making it to the coast and I dunno commission a merchant raider that captures a US merchant ship. Something that would really piss the US off about the Soviets and make the idea of the Soviets having a Pacific harbor and the potential for a port and fleet non viable as far as the US is concerned.

Maybe have the Soviets similarly launch attempted revolutions/revolts in the US (that fail miserably) and say instigate a number of small scale mutinies on US merchant ships. Basically really piss of the US at the right time and make the concept of a Japanese puppet far eastern Republic less threatening then a Soviet one.

When I was a high school freshman I tried to come up with a bio for the Ender's Game Ansible MOO and I created the bio of a Battle School character who was a Taiwanese student from Tierra del Fuego because I decided that is where the Taiwanese were exiled after China conquered the island in the Ender's Shadow series. I chose that because learning about those islands after playing Europa Universalis at the time really fascinated me, I always tried to build colonies there. In retrospect that is only mildly more geopolitically dumb than the Ender's Shadow books actually were.