2018 Presidential Election

The other good news for the Republicans is Long may actually help them prevent a full scale downballot nuclear meltdown that Duke would cause if it was just a 2 way race between Duke and Seaborn. A strong conservative third party candidate may bring out a good number of moderate Republican voters who otherwise may have stayed home or lent their support to Seaborn. I'm sure most of those voters will vote for the Republican downballot candidates.

The other good news for the Republicans is Long may actually help them prevent a full scale downballot nuclear meltdown that Duke would cause if it was just a 2 way race between Duke and Seaborn. A strong conservative third party candidate may bring out a good number of moderate Republican voters who otherwise may have stayed home or lent their support to Seaborn. I'm sure most of those voters will vote for the Republican downballot candidates.
Maybe so! Who knows! The one thing for sure, the Republican vote will be split and that helps Seaborn!

NBS CAMPAIGN 2022 HEADER.png

Duke leaves event early after feeling light-headed

Friday, August 5th, 2022

Republican presidential candidate Alan Duke cut an appearance at the Ohio State Fair in Columbus short today after the former senator reportedly felt light-headed.

Duke had planned to spend two hours at the fair, making a campaign speech and eating lunch with fair-going donors and supporters, but left shortly after his speech ended.

A Duke campaign spokesman said that the former senator was "a bit under the weather" prior to attending the fair and was dehydrated when he left. The spokesman said that Duke "recovered quickly" once he returned to an air-conditioned vehicle and was given water to drink. The Secret Service confirmed that Duke was examined by a medical professional and no recommendation was made that he be taken to the hospital.

The 67 year-old cancelled a planned rally in Cincinnati later this afternoon, but will still attend the scheduled campaign rally in Indianapolis this evening.

----------------------------​

acn_hbo_the_newsroom_logo.png

Friday, August 5th 2022

Top Bahji leader killed in US drone strike

Jabal Nafusah
The White House has confirmed reports that a US drone strike in a remote section of northern Qumar killed Khalid al-Shehri AKA Umar al-Qumari, the leader of the Bahji in Qumar.

According to a White House spokesman, a strike on Wednesday (August 3) on a reported Bahji camp appeared to have left several suspected Bahji insurgents dead, but the Department of Defense could not confirm that al-Shehri was among those killed until today. At least six other suspected insurgents are believed to have been killed. According to the Department of Defense, there have been no reports of non-combatant or civilian casualties, although Bahji social media has posted pictures of bloody women and children it claims were injured in the drone strike that killed al-Shehri.

Al-Shehri, a Yemeni national, had hidden his identity under the pseudonym of Umar al-Qumari since his assumption of the leadership in Qumar following the capture of Bahji leader Ahmed bin Talal only a few weeks after the July 17, 2015 terrorist attacks on New York, Iran, and Saudi Arabia. As a result of Bahji disinformation, strict secrecy protocols developed in the wake of bin Talal's capture, and diplomatic difficulties between Western nations, Iran and China resulting in intelligence on Bahji leadership not being shared for several years, it took until earlier this year for US intelligence agencies to definitively identify al-Shehri as al-Qumari.

"Justice has been served and one of the world's most dangerous terrorists is dead." President Sam Seaborn said in remarks announcing al-Shehri's death. Seaborn relayed that al-Shehri had been reportedly linked to the planning of the July 17th attacks that killed 750 people, including 162 in New York, and had "planned and ordered attacks that killed and maimed American soldiers" in Qumar while also ordering the "terrorizing, brutalizing and killing of innocent civilians."

The Bahji in Qumar have not yet announced who has replaced al-Shehri as their overall leader. His second-in-command and presumed successor, Abu Ahmed al-Hazmi, was reportedly killed in the same attack that killed al-Shehri.

wFbInlZm.png

Hunter torn between supporting insane former general with ties to militias or woman as potential successor
August 5, 2022

Ed-Helms-12-17.jpg

mspence

Banned

Duke leaves event early after feeling light-headed

Friday, August 5th, 2022

Republican presidential candidate Alan Duke cut an appearance at the Ohio State Fair in Columbus short today after the former senator reportedly felt light-headed.

Duke had planned to spend two hours at the fair, making a campaign speech and eating lunch with fair-going donors and supporters, but left shortly after his speech ended.

A Duke campaign spokesman said that the former senator was "a bit under the weather" prior to attending the fair and was dehydrated when he left. The spokesman said that Duke "recovered quickly" once he returned to an air-conditioned vehicle and was given water to drink. The Secret Service confirmed that Duke was examined by a medical professional and no recommendation was made that he be taken to the hospital.

The 67 year-old cancelled a planned rally in Cincinnati later this afternoon, but will still attend the scheduled campaign rally in Indianapolis this evening.

Friday, August 5th 2022

Top Bahji leader killed in US drone strike

Jabal Nafusah
The White House has confirmed reports that a US drone strike in a remote section of northern Qumar killed Khalid al-Shehri AKA Umar al-Qumari, the leader of the Bahji in Qumar.

According to a White House spokesman, a strike on Wednesday (August 3) on a reported Bahji camp appeared to have left several suspected Bahji insurgents dead, but the Department of Defense could not confirm that al-Shehri was among those killed until today. At least six other suspected insurgents are believed to have been killed. According to the Department of Defense, there have been no reports of non-combatant or civilian casualties, although Bahji social media has posted pictures of bloody women and children it claims were injured in the drone strike that killed al-Shehri.

Al-Shehri, a Yemeni national, had hidden his identity under the pseudonym of Umar al-Qumari since his assumption of the leadership in Qumar following the capture of Bahji leader Ahmed bin Talal only a few weeks after the July 17, 2015 terrorist attacks on New York, Iran, and Saudi Arabia. As a result of Bahji disinformation, strict secrecy protocols developed in the wake of bin Talal's capture, and diplomatic difficulties between Western nations, Iran and China resulting in intelligence on Bahji leadership not being shared for several years, it took until earlier this year for US intelligence agencies to definitively identify al-Shehri as al-Qumari.

"Justice has been served and one of the world's most dangerous terrorists is dead." President Sam Seaborn said in remarks announcing al-Shehri's death. Seaborn relayed that al-Shehri had been reportedly linked to the planning of the July 17th attacks that killed 750 people, including 162 in New York, and had "planned and ordered attacks that killed and maimed American soldiers" in Qumar while also ordering the "terrorizing, brutalizing and killing of innocent civilians."

The Bahji in Qumar have not yet announced who has replaced al-Shehri as their overall leader. His second-in-command and presumed successor, Abu Ahmed al-Hazmi, was reportedly killed in the same attack that killed al-Shehri.

wFbInlZm.png

Hunter torn between supporting insane former general with ties to militias or woman as potential successor
August 5, 2022

Ed-Helms-12-17.jpg
Covid for Duke? That would be perfect.

Last edited:
If elected, Duke would be the oldest president since Reagan ITTL. He barely overtakes Lassiter and Vinick in 1990 and 2006, respectively, and has just a few years on Walken in 2010. The Republicans' pretty decent showing of using guys in their 60s is coming to a pitiful close. The Republicans seriously dropped the ball on this. IRL, Trump brought toxicity, to be sure, but he made up for it with carving out a nice niche on the issues that people felt weren't getting the right amount of attention. Duke is every caricature of a conservative since 1964 brought to life. He's made no attempt to be anti-establishment, other than badly articulating the social conservative viewpoint, and his economic angle appeals only to those who read Atlas Shrugged and The Road to Serfdom to their kids as bedtime stories. On top of all that, he has neither the personal conviction of Barry Goldwater, the cunning of Richard Nixon, the polish of Gerald Ford, the charisma of Ronald Reagan, or the sense of honor of the Georges Bush of this world or the real one.

I've made up my mind, ITTL, I'm voting for Andrew Long.

Last edited:
Covid for Duke? That would be perfect.
COVID-19 doesn't exist in this universe, nor are we doing a pandemic storyline.

Duke just got a bug from being in physical contact with hundreds of different people each day (like what happened to Vinick in the last season of the show), then didn't hydrate enough.

If elected, Duke would be the oldest president since Reagan ITTL. He barely overtakes Lassiter and Vinick in 1990 and 2006, respectively, and has just a few years on Walken in 2010. The Republicans' pretty decent showing of using guys in their 60s is coming to a pitiful close. The Republicans seriously dropped the ball on this. IRL, Trump brought toxicity, to be sure, but he made up for it with carving out a nice niche on the issues that people felt weren't getting the right amount of attention.
Which issues were those, exactly?

Duke is every caricature of a conservative since 1964 brought to life.
He was established way back in the old thread as essentially someone who believed that he was the only actual conservative. People with that mentality for whatever ideology they subscribe to tend not to be very moderate on anything.

He's made no attempt to be anti-establishment, other than badly articulating the social conservative viewpoint, and his economic angle appeals only to those who read Atlas Shrugged and The Road to Serfdom to their kids at night. On top of all that, he has neither the personal conviction of Barry Goldwater, the cunning of Richard Nixon, the polish of Gerald Ford, the charisma of Ronald Reagan, or the sense of honor of the Georges Bush of this world or the real one.
I don't think I've ever seen Gerald Ford described as "polished".

Or the plural of "George Bush" be written as "Georges Bush" (like "Attorneys General") rather than "George Bushes."

I've made up my mind, ITTL, I'm voting for Andrew Long.

2ab9f71140b5bf291c0c77f1316f2f17be87ea63.gifv

COVID-19 doesn't exist in this universe, nor are we doing a pandemic storyline.

Duke just got a bug from being in physical contact with hundreds of different people each day (like what happened to Vinick in the last season of the show), then didn't hydrate enough.

He was established way back in the old thread as essentially someone who believed that he was the only actual conservative. People with that mentality for whatever ideology they subscribe to tend not to be very moderate on anything.

Or the plural of "George Bush" be written as "Georges Bush" (like "Attorneys General") rather than "George Bushes."

2ab9f71140b5bf291c0c77f1316f2f17be87ea63.gifv
I feel sorry for Duke! I bet the bug even rejects him!🤣😂

1. The trade deficit, the loss of manufacturing jobs, the blight of those in the upper Midwest and in Appalachia, the influence of money in politics, his vow to not touch Social Security and Medicare. He bucked a lot of traditional free-market unleash this and untangle that Republican orthodoxy on the campaign trail.

2. Well he was, he was the right man for the moment and "healed our land" according to the man that defeated him in the only election Ford ever lost.

3. It is grammatically correct, as far as I know. If I were to write a formal letter to Jed and Abby Bartlet after the former's political career, I'd address them as "The Doctors Bartlet." Might be different when titles aren't being used but either way, my point is clear.

Last edited:

Presidential (mis)fortunes causing headaches for congressional GOP candidates

Tuesday, August 9th, 2022

The divide on the right between supporters of Republican nominee Alan Duke and independent candidate Andrew Long has begun to cause headaches for Republican congressional candidates, possibly endangering the Republican majorities in both chambers of Congress.

The first town hall meetings of the congressional August recess took place over the weekend, and among Republican officeholders and those seeking to join them in Washington, many studiously avoided questions over who they supported or what their thoughts on the race were.

"I have great admiration both for Senator Duke and Mr. Long," Congressman Kurt Cameron (R-VA) said at a meeting in his district. "And I am still studying the race and will make my decision [on who to endorse] at a later point."

Cameron, a moderate within the Republican caucus, is in a tough race. His northern Virginia district has shifted Democratic over his 13 years in Congress, and he needs the support of both the culture warriors and evangelical foot-soldiers who propelled Duke to victory in the Republican primary, as well as the more moderate members of the party who have expressed their dislike of Duke by supporting Long's candidacy.

The GOP will need to retain seats it won in districts like Cameron's if it wants to hold onto the majority it won in the House two years ago. Duke's brand of aggressive social conservatism is polling incredibly poorly in the types of suburban or semi-suburban seats that pushed the GOP over the edge, but within those seats, the party has relied on the type of die-hard culture warriors that love Duke as campaign volunteers and local party officials.

In races to hold onto vital Senate seats, there is a similar calculus. Senator James Clarke (R-WI) is facing a very tough re-election fight against Congressman Drake Headley (D-WI) and was jeered by Duke supporters at a town hall in Oshkosh when he demurred on who he supported. While Duke lost Wisconsin's Republican primary, his supporters are a vital component of any victorious coalition that the Clarke campaign can assemble.

While the GOP came out of 2020's midterms with 57 senators, the projected large margins of victory for President Sam Seaborn (D) in several swing states and lead in states that lean Republican has caused alarm in the National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC). Reportedly, the NRSC has begun concentrated ad-buys on behalf of incumbents like Carlos Cabrera (Colorado), Ruth Norton-Stewart (Ohio), and Ellie Wilkins (New Hampshire) while cutting off funding for candidates hoping to retain seats for the GOP in Illinois and Michigan.

Tuesday, August 9th 2022

Former Australian PM Alexandria Hartegan dead at 68

Perth
— Alexandria Hartegan, the first female prime minister in Australian history, has died at the age of 68 yesterday from metastatic breast cancer. A member of the politically prominent Hartegan family, she led Australia from 1999 to 2007 leading the center-right coalition between the Liberal and National parties as a member of the larger Liberal Party.

The only daughter of former prime minister Bartley Hartegan (who led Australia from 1974 to 1984), Alexandria Hartegan had a long political career that continued even after her ouster as leader of the Liberal Party. After a working for nearly two decades as a solicitor, she won a seat in parliament in the 1992 general election. She rose through the ranks of the Liberal Party and became leader of the party after prime minister Stephen J. Erwin lost his own seat in the 1997 election upset that saw Labor come to power. With an unprepared Labor government, Hartegan and the Liberals forced an early election to be called in 1999 and the center-right regained power.

In her three terms in power, Hartegan became known for her support of free market economics, although she was forced by court decisions and political realities to introduce the goods and services tax (GST). She also oversaw Australians decline to become a republic in a referendum held the year she took power, and emerged as a critic of American President Josiah Bartlet's foreign policy interventions in Equatorial Kundu, Qumar and Kazakhstan. Her popularity within her party fell as her term wore on and in-fighting between her supporters and those of future prime minister Fiona Warne were a major factor in the Liberal/National coalition losing power in 2007.

Leaving Parliament after her defeat, Hartegan returned as a member of the Senate representing Western Australia. During her time in the Senate, she was frequently seen as a rival to Warne, who became prime minister in 2011. In the 2018 election that saw Warne and the Liberals lose power, Hartegan returned to the House of Representatives (the lower house of the Australian parliament) and was expected to announce a bid to return to leading the Liberal Party after Warne resigned following the loss. However, she announced that she would not run after revealing that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer shortly before the election. Hartegan retained her seat in last year's federal election, and prior to her death had announced that she would not seek re-election at the next federal election (scheduled for 2024).

Prime Minister Dominic Rodgers said it was a "sad day for Australia" and praised Hartegan as a "trailblazer." Warne, her successor and rival within the Liberal Party, said that Hartegan was "a dedicated public servant and politician" who had "shattered the glass ceiling in Canberra." All five of Bartley Hartegan's living successors have also expressed their condolences to Australia's 20th prime minister and the Hartegan family.

olivia-newton-john-gty-jt-220808_1659987521459_hpMain_4x3t_608.jpg

Alexandria Hartegan, file photo (credit: O. Newton-John)

The divide on the right between supporters of Republican nominee Alan Duke and independent candidate Andrew Long has begun to cause headaches for Republican congressional candidates, possibly endangering the Republican majorities in both chambers of Congress.

The first town hall meetings of the congressional August recess took place over the weekend, and among Republican officeholders and those seeking to join them in Washington, many studiously avoided questions over who they supported or what their thoughts on the race were.

"I have great admiration both for Senator Duke and Mr. Long," Congressman Kurt Cameron (R-VA) said at a meeting in his district. "And I am still studying the race and will make my decision [on who to endorse] at a later point."

Cameron, a moderate within the Republican caucus, is in a tough race. His northern Virginia district has shifted Democratic over his 13 years in Congress, and he needs the support of both the culture warriors and evangelical foot-soldiers who propelled Duke to victory in the Republican primary, as well as the more moderate members of the party who have expressed their dislike of Duke by supporting Long's candidacy.

The GOP will need to retain seats it won in districts like Cameron's if it wants to hold onto the majority it won in the House two years ago. Duke's brand of aggressive social conservatism is polling incredibly poorly in the types of suburban or semi-suburban seats that pushed the GOP over the edge, but within those seats, the party has relied on the type of die-hard culture warriors that love Duke as campaign volunteers and local party officials.

In races to hold onto vital Senate seats, there is a similar calculus. Senator James Clarke (R-WI) is facing a very tough re-election fight against Congressman Drake Headley (D-WI) and was jeered by Duke supporters at a town hall in Oshkosh when he demurred on who he supported. While Duke lost Wisconsin's Republican primary, his supporters are a vital component of any victorious coalition that the Clarke campaign can assemble.

While the GOP came out of 2020's midterms with 57 senators, the projected large margins of victory for President Sam Seaborn (D) in several swing states and lead in states that lean Republican has caused alarm in the National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC). Reportedly, the NRSC has begun concentrated ad-buys on behalf of incumbents like Carlos Cabrera (Colorado), Ruth Norton-Stewart (Ohio), and Ellie Wilkins (New Hampshire) while cutting off funding for candidates hoping to retain seats for the GOP in Illinois and Michigan.

Tuesday, August 9th 2022

Perth
— Alexandria Hartegan, the first female prime minister in Australian history, has died at the age of 68 yesterday from metastatic breast cancer. A member of the politically prominent Hartegan family, she led Australia from 1999 to 2007 leading the center-right coalition between the Liberal and National parties as a member of the larger Liberal Party.

The only daughter of former prime minister Bartley Hartegan (who led Australia from 1974 to 1984), Alexandria Hartegan had a long political career that continued even after her ouster as leader of the Liberal Party. After a working for nearly two decades as a solicitor, she won a seat in parliament in the 1992 general election. She rose through the ranks of the Liberal Party and became leader of the party after prime minister Stephen J. Erwin lost his own seat in the 1997 election upset that saw Labor come to power. With an unprepared Labor government, Hartegan and the Liberals forced an early election to be called in 1999 and the center-right regained power.

In her three terms in power, Hartegan became known for her support of free market economics, although she was forced by court decisions and political realities to introduce the goods and services tax (GST). She also oversaw Australians decline to become a republic in a referendum held the year she took power, and emerged as a critic of American President Josiah Bartlet's foreign policy interventions in Equatorial Kundu, Qumar and Kazakhstan. Her popularity within her party fell as her term wore on and in-fighting between her supporters and those of future prime minister Fiona Warne were a major factor in the Liberal/National coalition losing power in 2007.

Leaving Parliament after her defeat, Hartegan returned as a member of the Senate representing Western Australia. During her time in the Senate, she was frequently seen as a rival to Warne, who became prime minister in 2011. In the 2018 election that saw Warne and the Liberals lose power, Hartegan returned to the House of Representatives (the lower house of the Australian parliament) and was expected to announce a bid to return to leading the Liberal Party after Warne resigned following the loss. However, she announced that she would not run after revealing that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer shortly before the election. Hartegan retained her seat in last year's federal election, and prior to her death had announced that she would not seek re-election at the next federal election (scheduled for 2024).

Prime Minister Dominic Rodgers said it was a "sad day for Australia" and praised Hartegan as a "trailblazer." Warne, her successor and rival within the Liberal Party, said that Hartegan was "a dedicated public servant and politician" who had "shattered the glass ceiling in Canberra." All five of Bartley Hartegan's living successors have also expressed their condolences to Australia's 20th prime minister and the Hartegan family.

Obviously the Congressional Republican's are in a bind regarding announcing their allegiances! They can't keep punting on the question on who to support! And no matter who they announce they support, they're damned! If it's Duke they risk losing or end up losing suburban voter's, if its Long, they end up losing the support of base voter's, either way, it's a win/win for Seaborn and the Democrats! If I was the DCCC I'd be running ads to create mischief and keep asking my Republican opponent who is it they support! Duke or Long? It would be so funny 😁 😂 to watch Republican congressional candidates squirming! As long as Democrats keep stirring the pot, it creates more havoc within Republican ranks! Something tells me that Republican's might lose control of both Houses of Congress the way things are going!

Last edited:

mspence

Banned

Tuesday, August 9th 2022

Perth

She was always the one that they wanted, she was usually mellow but knew how to get physical when she had to.

The Nash Rockford Show pulled from radio, streaming services after racist skit

Wednesday, August 10th, 2022

Following widespread outrage, The Nash Rockford Show radio show and podcast with the same name, hosted by right-wing shock jock Nash Rockford, has been pulled from most of its radio stations as well as streaming services such as Spotify and SiriusXM after Rockford performed a racist skit where he used crude racial stereotypes to mock Democratic vice presidential nominee Bobby Tyler and his wife, Michelle.

In a podcast episode released early Wednesday morning, Rockford performs an skit partway through the episode where he pretends to be both Tylers, voicing the characters in stereotypical African-American accents and characterizing them, according to The Root editor Vanessa Witherspoon, as "jive-talking thugs and low-lifes."

Clips of the sketch have ignited a firestorm of controversy on social media and several companies have announced that they will no longer advertise on networks with Rockford. Several right-wing politicians who have previously appeared on Duke's show, including Republican presidential nominee Alan Duke, have distanced themselves from Rockford.

"I consider Nash a friend and a proud conservative," Duke said in a statement released by his campaign. "But I was sickened by his use of offensive racial stereotypes to demean Governor Tyler and his wife...It was unacceptable and I'm calling on him to apologize."

Rockford has not issued a statement since the media firestorm began earlier this morning, but a publicist for the 73 year-old self-described "godfather of conservative radio" said that Rockford was aware of the controversy and would address it "in the coming days."

Neither Bobby nor Michelle Tyler have commented on the sketch, but Seaborn campaign spokeswoman Annabeth Schott called it "revolting racist garbage."

The Nash Rockford Show pulled from radio, streaming services after racist skit

Wednesday, August 10th, 2022

Following widespread outrage, The Nash Rockford Show radio show and podcast with the same name, hosted by right-wing shock jock Nash Rockford, has been pulled from most of its radio stations as well as streaming services such as Spotify and SiriusXM after Rockford performed a racist skit where he used crude racial stereotypes to mock Democratic vice presidential nominee Bobby Tyler and his wife, Michelle.

In a podcast episode released early Wednesday morning, Rockford performs an skit partway through the episode where he pretends to be both Tylers, voicing the characters in stereotypical African-American accents and characterizing them, according to The Root editor Vanessa Witherspoon, as "jive-talking thugs and low-lifes."

Clips of the sketch have ignited a firestorm of controversy on social media and several companies have announced that they will no longer advertise on networks with Rockford. Several right-wing politicians who have previously appeared on Duke's show, including Republican presidential nominee Alan Duke, have distanced themselves from Rockford.

"I consider Nash a friend and a proud conservative," Duke said in a statement released by his campaign. "But I was sickened by his use of offensive racial stereotypes to demean Governor Tyler and his wife...It was unacceptable and I'm calling on him to apologize."

Rockford has not issued a statement since the media firestorm began earlier this morning, but a publicist for the 73 year-old self-described "godfather of conservative radio" said that Rockford was aware of the controversy and would address it "in the coming days."

Neither Bobby nor Michelle Tyler have commented on the sketch, but Seaborn campaign spokeswoman Annabeth Schott called it "revolting racist garbage."
Who's Nash Rockford based off of?

All rightful accusations of hypocrisy aside: when Alan Duke tells you to piss off you are well and truly fucked.
I think it was Rush Limbaugh.
Felt like Steven Chowder imo.