2018 Presidential Election

mspence

Banned
If he succeeds, Long would be the first third party candidate since Lincoln (the Republicans were a third party in 1860) to win the White House. What would this do to the current GOP in the TL?

Really?

So, Sam is "born" to win a second term.

Which means that Duke is goingh to "Nuk'em" at the poll;s.
I've said it before, "The Duke's a Hazzard."
That and:
"Remember Alan Duke? Duh-ha, duh-ha.
Ya never thought the GOP would take it this far.
Now they in the limelight 'cuz they far-right.
Time to get paid, blow up like their free trade.
Born sinners, the opposite of a winner."

Last edited:
I've said it before, "The Duke's a Hazzard."
That and:
"Remember Alan Duke? Duh-ha, duh-ha.
Ya never thought the GOP would take it this far.
Now they in the limelight 'cuz they far-right.
Time to get paid, blow up like their free trade.
Born sinners, the opposite of a winner."
If Duke is only holding on to Wyoming and those state's he originally led in have gone from Duke to toss-up, even his own state for gods sake! Seaborn can only improve his position, as long as he doesn't do something dumb and screw up. Is it possible that Duke's performance in the election is the worst for a Republican since Taft came in third behind Woodrow Wilson and Teddy Roosevelt in 1912? If he's polling at 25% as current polling stands, he better have a better plan than calling Long and Rudden "Democratic stooges". Is that the best he can do, by using petulant and insulting remarks! Isn't his objective to attract voter's, rather than alienating him. He really doesn't seem to understand on how to expand beyond his base! Keep it up Duke! You're doing so well!🙄🤣😂 According to polling history, the candidate who leads in the first poll released after the two conventions (we can include Long's convention/rally in this case) usually wins the election. Seaborn should begin to expand on his current lead and speak to the issues that Long is focusing on. I think we can safely assume that Duke is no longer part of the conversation! He's gonna have to focus on clawing back his support from Long, before he can begin thinking about tackling Seaborn. If he's gonna ignore Long or goes negative on Long, it will only smell of desperation.

Last edited:
He's gonna have to focus on clawing back his support from Long, before he can begin thinking about tackling Seaborn. If he's gonna ignore Long or goes negative on Long, it will only smell of desperation.
I agree that Duke is in a mess (hardly a shame), but I’m not sure what options he has other than these two - not as if agreeing with him is going to be enough to win back moderate Republicans from Long.

Will be interesting to see the impact upon other GOP careers if Duke bombs hard and comes third. For example, do all those office holders who endorsed Duke in the primaries find that their future prospects are closed off? Does Ruth Norton-Stewart get considerable criticism as there's a strong argument to suggest her refusal to drop out let Duke win? Do we see changes in the GOP congressional leadership?

Looking forward to seeing the butterflies in such instances if Duke fails bad.

Will be interesting to see the impact upon other GOP careers if Duke bombs hard and comes third. For example, do all those office holders who endorsed Duke in the primaries find that their future prospects are closed off? Does Ruth Norton-Stewart get considerable criticism as there's a strong argument to suggest her refusal to drop out let Duke win? Do we see changes in the GOP congressional leadership?

Looking forward to seeing the butterflies in such instances if Duke fails bad.
I imagine that’ll play out state by state - unless we see a mega - wipeout for Duke I can’t imagine that those in states he carries in November will struggle too much.

if I were in management in the GOP I’d be most concerned about down ticket races in traditional swing /light red states. There is potential for the loss of a large portion of the moderate wing of the congressional party, and for those on the right to seize greater control of the future legislative agenda. Could be interesting to see how any of the Congressmen and Senators affiliated closer to Longs views behave closer to November, and if any actually break with their party.

I imagine that’ll play out state by state - unless we see a mega - wipeout for Duke I can’t imagine that those in states he carries in November will struggle too much.

if I were in management in the GOP I’d be most concerned about down ticket races in traditional swing /light red states. There is potential for the loss of a large portion of the moderate wing of the congressional party, and for those on the right to seize greater control of the future legislative agenda. Could be interesting to see how any of the Congressmen and Senators affiliated closer to Longs views behave closer to November, and if any actually break with their party.
So it's conceivable that most Republican's opting to support Long instead of Duke, creates such a vacuum that the ultimate beneficiary is not Long, but Seaborn, with the party divided in traditional Red state's, Seaborn wins by default. Perhaps Long may not see it that way. However beyond disaffected Republican's and some Independents more receptive to Long, I'd like to see if Long's polling advantage is not just concentrated to Texas alone. But if the contest is still gridlocked between Duke and Long in October, both fighting for the Republican base, it's highly likely, that with Seaborn still maintaining his lead, that many Independents will begin to move towards Seaborn, as he's considered a potential winner, hence the bandwagon effect. That's one theory. Will be interesting to see where the trajectory of the contest goes.

Last edited:
NBS CAMPAIGN 2022 HEADER.png

Republicans win Michigan special election

Tuesday, August 2nd, 2022

In spite of the abysmal polling for the Republican national ticket, the GOP held onto a House seat in Michigan that many expected to fall to the Democrats. NBS can project that the Republican nominee, businessman Pat Milos, has defeated attorney Jill Mulkens to hold the Grand Rapids-based third congressional district seat for the Republicans. Milos is projected to have defeated Mulkens by roughly ten percentage-points, a larger than expected margin.

Taking place alongside Michigan's state primaries, turnout for the special election was much lower than expected due to many voters abstaining. A large number of these abstentions came from towns and precincts that are in the current third district, but who will not be in the third district as it is configured for the next decade. Milos' high name recognition was also reportedly a large factor in his victory, as his family owns a large Michigan-based chain of grocery stores.

The race was called after the death of longtime representative Ron Prentice (R) in February. With only three months before the November election, this is the last special election for the current 117th Congress. Both Milos and Mulkens are scheduled to face off against each other in the November election for the new third district.

Results of the US House Special Election for Michigan's Third Congressional District
Pat Milos (R): 55.77%

Jill Mulkens (D): 44.23%

Care to expand upon that? It isn't everyday the thread gets someone involved in the show's production to grace us with their presence.

For a writer your typing is rather poor.
i would have been more than happy too give you any time insight , but your insult was unnecessary and completely disrespectful. I never claimed to be a writer. I could be a producer, a director, an assistant, or a janitor. all i said was i was present in the writers room and was for multiple seasons.

insulting someone is not a way to get information out of someone.

i would have been more than happy too give you any time insight , but your insult was unnecessary and completely disrespectful. I never claimed to be a writer. I could be a producer, a director, an assistant, or a janitor. all i said was i was present in the writers room and was for multiple seasons.

Whilst I’m sure the point could have been put to you better, I’m also sure that you could appreciate that we are on what is essentially an anonymous messaging board. Any of us here can make claims about our lives off Alternate History without proof, and therefore any claim of inside information is likely to be met with a healthy degree of cynicism - maybe that’s not how things should be, but that’s the world we live in (plus to be fair, this board has seen behaviour that may be considered trolling before, so there’s never going to be universal acceptance of a claim like this).

It’s also easy to infer that by saying you were in the writers room that people may believe you were a writer on the show, rather than holding another position on the show - that’s a fairly reasonable assumption to make.

This isn’t my board or my story, It isn’t down to me how seriously our writers or the wider audience want to take your claim. If I wanted someone to take a claim like this seriously I’d probably look to provide information that would help validate my role in the show or identity to our writers and, with all due respect, without this anyone making claims like this will be received sceptically by many here. That’s up to you though!

Last edited:

Whilst I’m sure the point could have been put to you better, I’m sure that you could appreciate that were on what is essentially an anonymous messaging board. Any of us here can make claims about our lives off Alternate History without proof, and therefore any claim of inside information is likely to be met with a healthy degree of cynicism - maybe that’s not how things should be, but that’s the world we live in (plus to be fair, this board has seen behaviour that may be considered trolling before, so there’s never going to be universal acceptance of a claim like this).

It’s also easy to infer that by saying you were in the writers room that people may believe you were a writer on the show, rather than holding another position on the show - that’s a fairly reasonable assumption to make.

This isn’t my board or my story, It isn’t down to me how seriously our writers or the wider audience want to take your claim. If I wanted someone to take a claim like this seriously I’d probably look to provide information that would help validate my role in the show or identity to our writers and, with all due respect, without this anyone making claims like this will be received sceptically by many here. That’s up to you though!
FitzB, you put into better words what I was going to say, so I'll leave this here. Even if this character is correct, the writers are not going to up end the storyline and discard Lewis Eisenhower.

This issue is resolved as far as I'm concerned.

FitzB, you put into better words what I was going to say, so I'll leave this here. Even if this character is correct, the writers are not going to up end the storyline and discard Lewis Eisenhower.

This issue is resolved as far as I'm concerned.
Yes.

Even if it's true that the writers meant "Eisenhower" to refer to David Eisenhower and this person was actually present in The West Wing's writers room when the episode (where the aforementioned Eisenhower reference is made) was written over 15 years ago, we aren't going to change anything with the Eisenhower character in this thread.

If Duke actually came in third, that would be good news for the Republicans long term. It means that the majority of the Republican rank and file did not support the nominee. It means that the majority of Republicans reject Duke and what he stands for. It will mean Duke's support in the general was limited to the 36% who voted for him in the primary and some people who will support the Republican nominee no matter how odious he is. It would be easier for the Republicans to move forward.

Last edited:
If Duke actually came in third, that would be good news for the Republicans long term. It means that the majority of the Republican rank and file did not support the nominee. It means that the majority of Republicans reject Duke and what he stands for. It will mean Duke's support in the general was limited to the 36% who voted for him in the primary and some people who will support the Republican nominee no matter how odious he is. It would be easier for the Republicans to move forward.
Duke getting 36% that's very optimistic! Take 10% from that number! That would be those who have buyer's remorse or embarrassed with Duke as their original choice, but whatever way you slice it. Most of that 10% will drift to Long or just sit things out! I don't think Duke inspires a Trumpian kind of dedication, I could be wrong! I think Long polls around 19% Seaborn gets around 50% and the remaining 5% go to the Greens and others! It's not a LBJ type landslide, but Seaborn still wins!

mspence

Banned
What if Pendleton does or says something that forces Duke to drop him from the ticket? Duke would then be the first Presidential nominee without a running mate. WI Duke himself had to drop out with a minus 40% poll rating? Long would then be the main challenger & it would be a HUGE embarrassment to the GOP.

Also I'd like to see something like this at the debates:

MODERATOR: Mister Long, your response to President Seaborn's statement on the economy.
ANDREW LONG (I) With all due respect to the President, the solution is not higher taxes on the middle class who would actually be paying for his proposals. What we need is-
ALAN DUKE (R): This is all a sham. Both of these men are thieves. I have a plan, a great tax plan, a great economic plan-
MODERATOR (interrupting): Excuse me, Senator Duke, but the question was for Mister Long...
ALAN DUKE (continuing as if he hasn't heard) My plan is great. It will create great jobs and great revenue for our great country...
MODERATOR: Senator, please, you were not given this question. Mister Long, your response.
ANDREW LONG: Maybe I should just wait until Senator Duke stops making a campaign speech. (Laughter from crowd, even Seaborn looks amused.)
PRESIDENT SAM SEABORN: No, it's ok. Let him talk, he'll keep doing it until the next debate anyway. (Laughter and applause from the crowd.)
ALAN DUKE: Thank you. As I was saying, my great, wonderful plan...

Last edited:
Duke getting 36% that's very optimistic! Take 10% from that number! That would be those who have buyer's remorse or embarrassed with Duke as their original choice, but whatever way you slice it. Most of that 10% will drift to Long or just sit things out! I don't think Duke inspires a Trumpian kind of dedication, I could be wrong! I think Long polls around 19% Seaborn gets around 50% and the remaining 5% go to the Greens and others! It's not a LBJ type landslide, but Seaborn still wins!
That was NOT Duke getting the 36% of the total votes at the general election BUT him keeping only the votes of the 36% of the Republicans, aka the ones who have already voted for him

What if Pendleton does or says something that forces Duke to drop him from the ticket? Duke would then be the first Presidential nominee without a running mate. WI Duke himself had to drop out with a minus 40% poll rating? Long would then be the main challenger & it would be a HUGE embarrassment to the GOP.

Also I'd like to see something like this at the debates:

MODERATOR: Mister Long, your response to President Seaborn's statement on the economy.
ANDREW LONG (I) With all due respect to the President, the solution is not higher taxes on the middle class who would actually be paying for his proposals. What we need is-
ALAN DUKE (R): This is all a sham. Both of these men are thieves. I have a plan, a great tax plan, a great economic plan-
MODERATOR (interrupting): Excuse me, Senator Duke, but the question was for Mister Long...
ALAN DUKE (continuing as if he hasn't heard) My plan is great. It will create great jobs and great revenue for our great country...
MODERATOR: Senator, please, you were not given this question. Mister Long, your response.
ANDREW LONG: Maybe I should just wait until Senator Duke stops making a campaign speech. (Laughter from crowd, even Seaborn looks amused.)
PRESIDENT SAM SEABORN: No, it's ok. Let him talk, he'll keep doing it until the next debate anyway. (Laughter and applause from the crowd.)
ALAN DUKE: Thank you. As I was saying, my great, wonderful plan...
That scenario shows that Duke is getting zero respect and no one is really interested in his "great wonderful plan..."🤣😂

That was NOT Duke getting the 36% of the total votes at the general election BUT him keeping only the votes of the 36% of the Republicans, aka the ones who have already voted for him
Oops! So that means he's gonna get less than half of a third of the overall electorate! That's even worse! Poor Duke!