For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

Has anyone figured out what nationality the new director of Roscosmos is?
My leading theories are Azeri/Russian mixed with a person from a -stan or Tatar. She's definetely not your typical looking Russian but since the Russian Empire and the USSR facilitated interactions between those ethinicities, definetely possible.

The actress Vera Cherny is Russian for what it's worth.
The derivation of her surname is a locality in Adygea, which means...honestly it could be one or many of dozens of southern Russian/Caucasus ethnic groups, given that the region's population has been on the churn for several hundred years.

The makers FaM made mistake
Roscosmo or Роскосмос short form of Государственная корпорация по космической деятельности
what mean Russian State Corporation for Space Activities

In TL is still a Soviet union so is must be Sovcosmo or Совкосмо

First humans on mars are beating each other...

The makers FaM made mistake
Roscosmo or Роскосмос short form of Государственная корпорация по космической деятельности
what mean Russian State Corporation for Space Activities

In TL is still a Soviet union so is must be Sovcosmo or Совкосмо
That's a good point. I suppose this could be one of the new corporations Gorby instigated. Counter to that, we do hear Margo say that Sergei had been the head of Roscosmos for ten years, which would indicate the name changed before Gorby came around and makes zero sense. But then it's not impossible she was using the new name to include the legacy of the organization. (Most likely it's just an oversight.)

On another note, I tried pausing the last episode when the headshots of the merged Sojourner crew popped up to see if I could tell what nationalities the Soviet crew were based on the flags behind them. The nuclear tech doesn't have any flag, so no help there. The two other dudes have a red banner with a hammer and sickle, though the emblem is ridiculously over-sized. Castillo has a flag that is partially obscured, but could maybe be Mexico? I see what might be white and red vertical stripes, and the green stripe and emblem of Mexico could just be lost in the folds (that is if Mexico kept the same flag).

That's a good point. I suppose this could be one of the new corporations Gorby instigated. Counter to that, we do hear Margo say that Sergei had been the head of Roscosmos for ten years, which would indicate the name changed before Gorby came around and makes zero sense. But then it's not impossible she was using the new name to include the legacy of the organization. (Most likely it's just an oversight.)

On another note, I tried pausing the last episode when the headshots of the merged Sojourner crew popped up to see if I could tell what nationalities the Soviet crew were based on the flags behind them. The nuclear tech doesn't have any flag, so no help there. The two other dudes have a red banner with a hammer and sickle, though the emblem is ridiculously over-sized. Castillo has a flag that is partially obscured, but could maybe be Mexico? I see what might be white and red vertical stripes, and the green stripe and emblem of Mexico could just be lost in the folds (that is if Mexico kept the same flag).
In OTL the Soviets included some of their allies/puppets in their space program, so they flew a Cuban, a Vietnamese and probably some other nationalities into space. They may have pulled the same in the FAMverse: "Oh, so you're flying a Soviet defector to Mars? We're flying a Mexican astronaut!" Retorted by NASA with "Ha! Our flight director is Mexican!"

Just watched the latest episode and the main thing I have to ask is.... why could they not land anywhere else?

It is quite clear from various shots that the storm is not Mars-wide, why not just find somewhere else?

Though the 'first steps/fall' on Mars was fantastic.

BTW- I still suspect Margo is working with an Agency all along.

Just watched the latest episode and the main thing I have to ask is.... why could they not land anywhere else?

It is quite clear from various shots that the storm is not Mars-wide, why not just find somewhere else?
Doesn't NASA (at least, not sure about Helios) have pre-placed supplies at that location? So that's why they have to land there.

Over on the what-two-alternate-history-timelines-would-you-combine-into-one thread, I suggested:

Two Alternative History timelines that might mash well together.

For All Mankind - the Apple TV show
Eyes Turned Skyward by @e of pi

I am still reading Eyes Turned Skyward but nothing in the early part needs to change but the USSR making N1 work (somehow, or just moonshot and pray) to beat NASA to the Moon. Sea Dragon probably can happen since in Eyes the Apollo hardware continues to be used instead of the Shuttle happening as per FAM.

Moon base I can still see after water has been found. Bigger/more effective (?) Apollo kit instead of smaller rockets in Eyes perhaps?

However @e of pi responded with:

First, by @Workable Goblin and @e of pi

I don't think Eyes and FAM are...really at all compatible. A lot of Eyes is about trying to make a coherent engineering or programmatic focus other than Shuttle work (and some of its earliest weaknesses are failures to do so, though I think we got better). For All Mankind really has so much that doesn't hold together at all and what happens is totally orthogonal to what happens in Eyes: Eyes (like Right Side Up that I wrote with @Polish Eagle, though in a different way) is about a retreat from the moon because absent the political driving forces of the race, it was unsustainable. FAM is both about ignoring questions of both what is realistic or sustainable. As one most striking example, the exact historic development-cost-constrained Shuttle design being developed alongside the massively expensive Sea Dragon R&D program making no sense in universe and only being justified out of universe by a desire to use footage and the iconic design of the historic orbiter which is a really bad excuse for a show with advisors as smart and art groups as capable as they have.

One of these days, I may get around to writing my threatened take on a similar maximum-Apollo sustained into the 70s, but
for the moment the outline of Part I is here.

Which left me wondering something about FAM, ignoring the Soviets getting to the Moon first, when does FAM just outside plausible for you? Me I think it was Sea Dragon and the Shuttle together, up until then FAM seemed 'about right', after that it veered into much more sci-fi, even if it looked plausible.

Also what could have been done to make FAM stay 'plausible' - no Sea Dragon? no Shuttle? bigger/more powerful Saturn's?

Though the 'first steps/fall' on Mars was fantastic.

BTW- I still suspect Margo is working with an Agency all along.
In the trailer, we see Ayesa getting worked up over the location of water, so it's possible they were dedicated to their particular landing site as it offered potential exploitable resources (water, metals, etc) another site might not have had

Which left me wondering something about FAM, ignoring the Soviets getting to the Moon first, when does FAM just outside plausible for you? Me I think it was Sea Dragon and the Shuttle together, up until then FAM seemed 'about right', after that it veered into much more sci-fi, even if it looked plausible.

Also what could have been done to make FAM stay 'plausible' - no Sea Dragon? no Shuttle? bigger/more powerful Saturn's?
The show started making iffy technical decisions back in season 1, tbh--but I was willing to let it slide on artistic license and the fact that they hadn't yet explicitly said what the super-LM's propellant combo was. I get it, it's a TV show, it's mass-market, I'm willing to set my bar lower for them. I think I really gave up on the show when they talked about mining lithium on the Moon, either that or enriching uranium for weapons there.

Honestly, I'm convinced that most of the show's story beats could have been done without offending my sensibilities as a space-alt-hist writer/fan, if they'd only given it a bit more thought. Jamestown based on 6.6-meter S-IVB tooling? Sure, it's not really like any OTL proposal, but I could buy it. Season 2 is where things start to get tougher--we'd have to cut out the nonsense about lithium mining on the Moon or enriching weapons-grade uranium on the Moon. I'd go with a fully-reusable two-stage Shuttle, with "Pathfinder" instead being a nuclear-powered in-space-only stage. I like that they featured Skylab briefly in the show--so I'd have a super-sized Skylab with a propellant tank farm for refueling "Pathfinder" and other spacecraft. I'd have Jamestown more explicitly built as a propellant-mining facility, maybe even throw in a Gerard O'Neill mass driver to launch tanks of LOX to earth orbit. I might even make that the strategic crux of the season--have the Soviets accuse the US of militarizing the Moon with railguns. I'd keep Dani's Apollo-Soyuz mission, but I'd have the Apollo CSM launched in the payload bay of a Shuttle--because that's more sensible than NASA keeping a Saturn IB pad around for a decade. Buran would also get heavily rewritten into a reusable N1 derivative, and it would still be launched from Kazakhstan. I'd have Margot slip the Soviets nuclear reactor info rather than forcing an O-rings reference in.

Small question, technology related: since the solar sail looked quite effective, is there chance we will see more sail-equipped spaceships in the future? Even from Soviets or other Space tacers?