Bicentennial Man: Ford '76 and Beyond

I’m on the edge of my seat right now! Even though it seems like the victor has already been revealled, I’m not about to rule out any curveballs.

Honestly I’d love to see Reagan win just for the absolutely comical level of victory that Democrats would probably have in the midterms and the hell that the Republican 1984 convention would be.

Just caught up. Wow, this story has been a hell of a ride! Really enjoying what you’re crafting here. You sparked my interest in 70s/80s U.S. politics and I wasn’t interested in that before. This is a fantastic story.

If (when) the Carey-Askew ticket wins will Carey put more emphasis on alternate energy (solar, wind, nuclear etc) due to the terrible Energy Crisis and the Great Recession?

Would Carry be interested in raising the minimum wage? In 1980 it was $3.10 and in OTL 1981 it became $3.35. To fight still-high inflation and help boost American consumerism he could go to $3.50 or so.

Also what’s the national debt look like. Still $900bln or higher/lower? Assuming higher due to the wars in Latin America.

This is the most Bob Dole sentence I've ever read. It's the exact kind of thing Bob Dole would say. Did Bob Dole write this?
No but I'm glad you picked up the reference! Haha.
I’m on the edge of my seat right now! Even though it seems like the victor has already been revealled, I’m not about to rule out any curveballs.

Honestly I’d love to see Reagan win just for the absolutely comical level of victory that Democrats would probably have in the midterms and the hell that the Republican 1984 convention would be.
That's not the TL I'm setting out to write but I would absolutely love to read it if anyone does it. Thanks for reading!
Just caught up. Wow, this story has been a hell of a ride! Really enjoying what you’re crafting here. You sparked my interest in 70s/80s U.S. politics and I wasn’t interested in that before. This is a fantastic story.

If (when) the Carey-Askew ticket wins will Carey put more emphasis on alternate energy (solar, wind, nuclear etc) due to the terrible Energy Crisis and the Great Recession?

Would Carry be interested in raising the minimum wage? In 1980 it was $3.10 and in OTL 1981 it became $3.35. To fight still-high inflation and help boost American consumerism he could go to $3.50 or so.

Also what’s the national debt look like. Still $900bln or higher/lower? Assuming higher due to the wars in Latin America.
Thanks for reading! There'll definitely be some energy development to build on Ford's Energy Policy Act (no Three Mile helps keep the subsidies for nuclear energy on the table) of the kind you describe.

I imagine that Carey will look at that eventually, though his first priority is trying to go for stimulatory measures to keep unemployment lower initially in tandem with breaking inflation.

Something I just came across - - Yvone B Burke, in lieu of seeking re-election to the US House or Representatives, ran for Attorney General of California in 1978, losing OTL to Republican George Dukmejian; is it possible she won TTL?

Something I just came across - - Yvone B Burke, in lieu of seeking re-election to the US House or Representatives, ran for Attorney General of California in 1978, losing OTL to Republican George Dukmejian; is it possible she won TTL?
Hmm interesting! I had Deuk still winning in my head canon so maybe she runs for re-election instead with such a larger House majority to potentially join?

I'm interested to see if you explore Nixon’s comeback. Its honestly pretty impressive how he was able to rehabilitate his image in the 1980s

I'm interested to see if you explore Nixon’s comeback. Its honestly pretty impressive how he was able to rehabilitate his image in the 1980s
Indeed it is. You could go two ways on whether such a dismal Ford burnishes Nixon by comparison or serves to make his rehab more difficult, of course. I’m not quite sure myself

Indeed it is. You could go two ways on whether such a dismal Ford burnishes Nixon by comparison or serves to make his rehab more difficult, of course. I’m not quite sure myself
I think a big part of Nixon’s comeback was also due to Reagan’s presence in the White House and the slant towards conservatism generally that occurs in the 1980s.

I think a big part of Nixon’s comeback was also due to Reagan’s presence in the White House and the slant towards conservatism generally that occurs in the 1980s.
Nixon’s comeback was already happening while Carter was president. Nixon’s autobiography and interviews in the late 70s were incredibly well received. He also did a great job of being seen as an elder statesman when it came to foreign policy in the 80s, I think he could still do it in a democratic 80s

Nixon’s comeback was already happening while Carter was president. Nixon’s autobiography and interviews in the late 70s were incredibly well received. He also did a great job of being seen as an elder statesman when it came to foreign policy in the 80s, I think he could still do it in a democratic 80s
That's a fair point

I half think that the media propped up Nixon in the Reagan years to make the new guy loo bad, which seems unlikely to happen under a Democrat in that era.

My suspicion is that Ford's continued presence in the White House continues to keep the legacy of Watergate alive, thus largely delaying Nixon's comeback. He may have written his memoirs, done the Frost interview, etc, during this time, but I don't see him having the same legitimacy in a Ford victory scenario.

My suspicion is that Ford's continued presence in the White House continues to keep the legacy of Watergate alive, thus largely delaying Nixon's comeback. He may have written his memoirs, done the Frost interview, etc, during this time, but I don't see him having the same legitimacy in a Ford victory scenario.
This is more or less what I suspect would have been likeliest

So what are the legislative achievements of the Ford Administration? And why wouldn’t he be up for re-election as he only won the election once. Is it because he went from Speaker to VP to President?

So what are the legislative achievements of the Ford Administration? And why wouldn’t he be up for re-election as he only won the election once. Is it because he went from Speaker to VP to President?

Because Ford has served seven years as President and thus is not eligible. To be eligible for a second elected term, he would need to have succeeded Nixon in 1975, not 1974.

Decided to make one of these given my obsession with the TL. I do wonder what Reagan's slogan would be? Let's make America Great Again?
RA_1980.jpg

I also have a general election inbox ready, based upon my best guess as to how the final results will play out. Eagerly anticipating what @KingSweden24 has in store.

Damn thought I responded to this. Ford has some tangible achievements in transportation deregulation (airlines, rail, trucking) and in boosting domestic energy through the Energy Policy Act (expanded oil permitting, research $ for “new energy” and throwing subsidies to keep nuke plant construction schedules on track)

Other than that, though…
Decided to make one of these given my obsession with the TL. I do wonder what Reagan's slogan would be? Let's make America Great Again?
View attachment 750979
I also have a general election inbox ready, based upon my best guess as to how the final results will play out. Eagerly anticipating what @KingSweden24 has in store.
Looks really nice! I’m flattered you made it :)

Damn thought I responded to this. Ford has some tangible achievements in transportation deregulation (airlines, rail, trucking) and in boosting domestic energy through the Energy Policy Act (expanded oil permitting, research $ for “new energy” and throwing subsidies to keep nuke plant construction schedules on track)

Other than that, though…

Looks really nice! I’m flattered you made it :)
Now that you mention you did somewhere in the TL but thanks for the refresher!