Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes VI (Do Not Post Current Politics or Political Figures Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A kingdom of Burgundy in a Europe that never fully entered modernity.
Bourgogne 2022 1.png
Bourgogne 2022 2.png
Bourgogne 2022 3.png
Bourgogne 2022 4.png

Last edited:
Wanted to put together a wikibox for the op at the end of Top Gun: Maverick and came up with a backstory for the unnamed rouge state from the movie.
***Spoilers for Top Gun: Maverick beyond this point***

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 2.32.43 PM.png

What if the "Airplane" Conference actually happened?

a951c2d1-0f46-4405-babc-18d8e4886dda-jpeg.692234

Western Division:
Stanford University
United States Air Force Academy
University of California-Berkeley
University of California-Los Angeles
University of Southern California
University of Washington

Eastern Division:
Pennsylvania State University
Syracuse University
United States Military Academy
United States Naval Academy
University of Notre Dame
University of Pittsburgh

As an anciallary here is the "Northwest Conference" that emerges soon thereafter, manages to drag its schools into D-IA status and will be looking for some easy pickings when the AAC falls apart. Or perhaps the more successful members may bolt. Who knows.

Oregon State University
University of Idaho
University of Montana
University of Oregon
Montana State University
Washington State University

Is this part of a bigger scenario? It looks very cool and I'd love to learn more about this world.
Thanks a lot but no, I just did it by mixing two ideas that I found interesting, a Burgundian kingdom and the survival of medieval institutions over several centuries, there is no large extended universe behind.

The points not explicitly shown here that I imagined for this universe are the following:

-No French Revolution and all that follows (no Napoleon to end the HRE and export the concept of the nation-state)

-No Reformation and all that it implies (among other things no counter-reformation, Baroque does not exist and neoclassicism appears earlier, art evolves to become relatively austere over the centuries, modern royal palaces look like brutalist temples)

-The Church is all powerful without a powerful king of France to oppose the claims of the papacy to govern the temporal world. By subjective personal choice because it is funny to imagine the cultural differences over centuries, I decided the Catholic Church in this world accepts the ordination of women and I had planned to make an Infobox on a Popess

-The process of the gradual seizure of power by the bourgeoisie over the nobility in OTL began several centuries before the point of divergence and even if it has slowed down it is still taking place in this world, the bourgeoisie leads a revolution that does not take place at the level of States and does not seek to reform institutions but, for example, via large consortium or increasingly structured continental associations of cities (the fact that the city councils of the large cities have a separate representation from that of the commoners at the Estates-General of Burgundy is a sign of the recognition of the power of the cities)

Apart from that, I didn't think about much, I even made the map of Western Europe a little bit randomly and I really don't have a clue of what's happening on the others continents

FFCE2C00-DFF9-4F9D-BD3E-B02086663C98.jpeg

The June 7th 1998 game between the Chicago White Sox and the Baltimore Orioles was not supposed to be notable. It had some playoff implications. The White Sox lead their division, while Baltimore was sniffing around for a wildcard slot. But there was still a lot of baseball to play. This was the second game of a three game series in new Comiskey Park O’s had won the first game 5-3, and the ballpark was fairly full as White Sox fans hoped for a turnaround.

The starting pitchers were Alex Fernandez for the White Sox and Charles Nagy for the Orioles. Both would, famously, play the entire game. Both were well regarded pitchers.

It takes a few innings for the sensation that a pitcher is pushing something exceptional to set in, but by the fifth inning it was apparent that Fernandez was still perfect, and that Nagy was keeping pace. Once both men had three up three down in the 6th, it was officially the longest two pitchers had ever been perfect

The pair went back and forth. Both would strike out over 10 batters over the course of the game. Nagy was saved from an end to both his perfect game and a shutout by the leaping heroics of Chad Curtis in the 7th. Fernandez would pitch himself into trouble in the top of the 8th, pitching 3 straight balls to DH Harold Baines, but managed to pitch himself out again with 3 straight strikes.

9 Innings were completed, and not a single man had gotten of base. Although both men were clearly exhausted, both Nagy and Fernandez indicated they were willing to continue. Fernandez retired three more batters in the top of the 10th, and Nagy was on the mound again. On his very first pitch White Sox leadoff hitter Chad Krueter hit a pop up into left field....which was dropped by BJ Surhoff. Krueter reached second, ending Nagy’s perfect game. Nagy struck out the next batter, but then Ray Durham hit a line drive to First Base, which was mishandled by Will Clark, allowing Krueter to score and win the game for the Home Team.

Three years earlier, the Society for American Baseball Research had voted a 1965 Clash between the Dodgers and Cubs featuring a perfect game and one hitter respectively as the best pitched game in baseball history. Now it had been surpassed. Nagy joined Harvey Haddix in being a tragic hero whose perfection was spoiled by extra innings

I asked this as well on the alternate presidents thread, but has anyone seen a timeline where there was a list of USA Prime Ministers and CSA Presidents? I remember it had infoboxes and I recall Stevenson and Bryans being on the CSA list

Europe's Last Dictatorship

1654709378048.png

The POD here is that the Duke of Segovia doesn't renounce his claim to the Spanish throne, despite still facing pressure to do so on account of his deafness. Because of this, his son Alfonso is a much stronger candidate for the throne, and between this and other factors, Francisco Franco ultimately selects him to be King following his death, leading to the former's coronation as Alfonso XIV in 1975.

Alfonso is not Juan Carlos. He largely remains a committed Francoist, and while the first few years of his reign are fairly tumultuous as there's increasing pressure for Spain to liberalize, this ultimately subsides and Alfonso is secure in his seat of power, leading to a continuation of the Francoist regime to the present.

Spain ITTL occupies a similar niche to Saudi Arabia geopolitically; many people in the West are not all that fond of how reactionary and absolutist Spain remains, and while the National Movement (formerly FET y de la JONS) has officially distanced itself from fascism, certain policies of the regime are a bit too close to that for comfort. Despite this, they remain a Western ally, still being members of NATO (although not the EU), and have largely been integrated into the economic order. Relations with the Vatican are particularly complicated; Spain is officially a Catholic nation, however, since the Second Vatican Council they haven't exactly seen eye to eye with Rome at all times, especially recently under Pope Francis' pontificate. Still, no official denunciations have come from either the Vatican or Madrid, and so relations remain officially cordial.

In 2005, Alfonso XIV would die of an illness, leaving his son Louis II to inherit the throne, being crowned on November 20 (coinciding, of course, with the Feast of Christ the King - nothing at all to do with the anniversary of the deaths of Franco and Jose Antonio Primo de Rivera). Many were hopeful that Louis would oversee the liberalization of Spain, as in the past he had alluded to his support for a constitutional monarchy. These hopes weren't completely dashed - freedom of the press has greatly improved under his reign, as has freedom of worship - but overall most concessions have been largely performative, such as the decision to allow other parties to run in the Cortes. While this was permitted, the two other parties that won seats - the Christian Democrats and the Carlists - are more or less de facto puppets of the National Movement, and at any rate, they only comprise a very small minority in the Cortes. In fact, in some areas Spain has seemed to go in the opposite direction, especially economically, as after the 2008 economic crash and the economic fallout of COVID-19 Spain began to reemphasize their commitment to national syndicalism and self-sufficiency, working on removing foreign influence from Spanish markets. As the world's gaze has fallen elsewhere, it appears that Spain will continue down its current trajectory for the foreseeable future, much to the aggravation of the Spanish Republic in exile in Paris.

Last edited:
I've had an idea I might be developing into another wikibox TL akin to the ones I've done for Czechoslovakia and Spain in the last few months, but for now I've made a quick little thing based on Maltese integration succeeding. (With quite a few butterflies, I'm pretty sure.)

Malta is famous for being the largest and most prominent former British colony to choose to integrate into the United Kingdom rather than become independent, as most countries that were once part of the British Empire have. This decision was fought for by Dom Mintoff, the last Prime Minister of Malta under its old status, who fought for the country to be part of the UK as it would force the standards of living on the islands to be brought to parity with those of the mainland through increases to wages and employment opportunities and give it more direct influence over British politics with three seats in the House of Commons.

Since it was integrated into the union on the 1st January 1957, that number has gradually increased, as it gained a fourth seat in 1983 and a fifth in 1997 (the same year the Maltese Parliament was given expanded powers by the Blair government). It is expected that at the next boundary review, due to the sizeable increase in its population in the 2010s, it will gain a sixth. At present, however, the constituencies are as follows:
1654717811471.png

• Gozo and Tramuntana- created in 1983 from the old North Malta seat, this comprises the entirety of Gozo and Comino Districts and Tramuntana District, including its seat, St. Paul’s Bay. Traditionally it has been Tory-leaning, though it voted for Labour in their 1997 and 2001 sweeps of the island’s constituencies. Since 2005 it has been represented by Simon Busuttil.
  • Birkirkhara- named for the island’s largest city, this is the only remaining constituency of the original three created in 1957. Its area originally comprised the city and the southeastern part of the island, but has now been cut to the Majjistral District in the southwest of the island and the City of Birkirkhara itself. This is partly due to local pressure to keep the inland city separate from the harbour seats (and originally the harbour seat, singular, before the harbour region grew populous enough to get two). It is generally the swingiest seat on the island, and notably was the only one to change hands in 2019 as it narrowly went from voting Labour in 2017 to supporting the Tories due to the political crisis the incumbent Labour government in the Maltese Parliament was embroiled in over the assassination of journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia, which is also seen as a key factor in the resignation of former First Minister Joseph Muscat. The current MP is Adrian Delia, who at the time of his election was the leader of the Tories in the Maltese Parliament.
  • Northern Harbour- created in 1997 and comprising traditionally the most pro-Tory areas on the island, this seat is made up of most of Northern Harbour Borough and the City of Valletta, Malta’s capital. Like Gozo and Tramuntana, it backed Labour in its landslides under Blair but has voted Tory since 2005. Tonio Borg, a very socially conservative Tory MP and formerly a deputy of Lawrence Gonzi while the latter was First Minister, represents the constituency, though his views have made him a major target of Labour and they have been aiming to oust him at the next election if at all possible.
  • Southern Harbour- like Northern Harbour, this constituency was formed from the Malta Harbour constituency in 1997, and includes most of the Labour-friendly Southern Harbour Borough as well Qormi from the Northern Harbour Borough. (Ironically, it was expected that the division of Malta Harbour would create a safe Tory and safe Labour seat, but both seats went Labour in their first election.) It has been represented by Marie-Louise Coleiro Preca of the Labour Party since 1997, making her currently the second-longest-serving Maltese MP and the only woman to sit for a Maltese constituency.
  • Xlokk- formed under the name Sirocco in 1983, this seat originally comprised a larger part of the Southern Harbour Borough, but nowadays only includes a small part of it along with Xlokk District (the Maltese name for the Sirocco wind which passes over the region and for which it is named; in a similar manner to some Scottish and Welsh constituencies, the Maltese name was adopted in 1997). It is the most pro-Labour constituency on the island and as both Malta Harbour and Sirocco was represented by Dom Mintoff himself. After Mintoff retired in 1987, George Vella was elected for the seat, and has represented it ever since, making him the longest-serving Maltese MP.

Last edited:
Very neat concept and excellent execution, hope to see more from this setting
Thank you! Since several people here and on reddit told me they wanted to know more about this TL and I enjoyed doing it I might think for a few days about what might be interesting to present and if it's worth it and maybe expand this setting

Status
Not open for further replies.