Bicentennial Man: Ford '76 and Beyond

Armstrong is a nice choice, she seems far more qualified than the other hail-Mary female VPs straggling tickets have chosen. But, "Southern alienation" - this makes me wonder if the Republicans are doomed to face splinter factions and languish in the wilderness for a decade plus much like the Canadian Conservatives did now.

Phil Crane! To quote Obi-Wan Kenobi: "That's a name I've not heard in a long time."

That speech does sound like something he'd do. He's from my neck of the woods (Melissa Bean, the Democrat who finally beat him in 2004, went to my high school) and I vaguely remember him making headlines every so often railing against one thing or another.

Looking it up, I’m guessing the first presidential debate is going to be held September 21, about a month after the GOP Convention; right? So maybe next update could be just events in general - not just the election - happening August 15 to September 20.

Man, Reagan's attempt to play the middle of the road is going to turn his candidacy into roadkill at this rate!

Southern Alienation is a really interesting term to use. And like others have said, perhaps with Askew and Carey there can be some stemming of the Republican domination over there. I honestly can't wait for the results to start coming in! (Obviously you have a whole lot of stuff to get through first but you get the idea)

So stoked about Armstrong being on the Republican ticket, I think she is by far the most interesting choice even if they're DOA anyway. Great update, can't wait for more!

Always love these updates.

Well the tickets are decided and now its time to battle it out on the way to November. With all the headwinds against the GOP, a hail mary is their only shot but we all know it won't work. I feel like the ERA drama is going to come into play with having a female VP nominee and the Reagan campaign will end up taking fire from both sides. Plus if there is a Veep debate, Askew got a lot of practice from the campaign and he could justtrounce Armstrong despite her impressive resume.

On Southern alienation, I know that there's supposed to be a comprehensive Industrial policy under Carey in the 80's,. There's no way to stop Republican gains in the South, but with some good economic planning and using some political capital to boost labor rights and unions, the Carey administration can keep some of the South. Honestly, labor policy in general should be a big focus for Carey in tandem with the economic recovery efforts.
Thanks! Indeed, the ERA threatens to be a bit awkward for the Republican ticket especially with Ford firmly in favor of it.

Labor policy will be a huge focus of Carey’s. Whether he can peel off enough Dixiecrats to repeal chunks of Taft-Hartley even with supermajorities is an open q though
Armstrong is a nice choice, she seems far more qualified than the other hail-Mary female VPs straggling tickets have chosen. But, "Southern alienation" - this makes me wonder if the Republicans are doomed to face splinter factions and languish in the wilderness for a decade plus much like the Canadian Conservatives did now.
My thinking on “alienation” is the South basically not fitting in super well with either major party as they GOP’s focus turns more to the West and Midwest than IOTL
Phil Crane! To quote Obi-Wan Kenobi: "That's a name I've not heard in a long time."

That speech does sound like something he'd do. He's from my neck of the woods (Melissa Bean, the Democrat who finally beat him in 2004, went to my high school) and I vaguely remember him making headlines every so often railing against one thing or another.
He def strikes me as a “speak without thinking type”
Amazing. Thank you so much for responding to input @KingSweden24. I spent this weekend binging Cinco de Mayo.
That’s quite a bit of binging! Glad you’re along for the ride over on the flagship, too!
Looking it up, I’m guessing the first presidential debate is going to be held September 21, about a month after the GOP Convention; right? So maybe next update could be just events in general - not just the election - happening August 15 to September 20.
Ill have a few things to touch (big update on Andropov’s USSR and it’s response to proto-Solidarity on the horizon) but the rest of 1980 will be primarily elections stuff, since that’s sort of the main event
Man, Reagan's attempt to play the middle of the road is going to turn his candidacy into roadkill at this rate!

Southern Alienation is a really interesting term to use. And like others have said, perhaps with Askew and Carey there can be some stemming of the Republican domination over there. I honestly can't wait for the results to start coming in! (Obviously you have a whole lot of stuff to get through first but you get the idea)
So stoked about Armstrong being on the Republican ticket, I think she is by far the most interesting choice even if they're DOA anyway. Great update, can't wait for more!
Def an interesting choice, im glad for the suggestions I received in her direction

One thing I was wondering: Is VP Dole campaigning for his old senate seat? Seeing as he’s out of a job in a few months and it is now in Democratic hands, it would be a convenient pivot.

One thing I was wondering: Is VP Dole campaigning for his old senate seat? Seeing as he’s out of a job in a few months and it is now in Democratic hands, it would be a convenient pivot.
Dole is not running for the seat, though I did consider that. He stayed in the Presidential race just a hair too long, and by this point would likely want a break and to take stock of things after seeing how the election goes. Going from VP to a superminority Senator not even in leadership is a downgrade after all

We haven’t heard the last of Bob Dole, though

Deleted member 145219

Great convention series. Armstrong seems an interesting pick as the GOP is facing an electoral and popular abyss after 12 years of Vietnam, Watergate, and Stagflation. Hoping Armstrong displays in her campaign for the Vice Presidency a mastery of the issues. And doesn't pander to the embittered elements inside the GOP.

Carey/Askew for the Win!

Great convention series. Armstrong seems an interesting pick as the GOP is facing an electoral and popular abyss after 12 years of Vietnam, Watergate, and Stagflation. Hoping Armstrong displays in her campaign for the Vice Presidency a mastery of the issues. And doesn't pander to the embittered elements inside the GOP.

Carey/Askew for the Win!
Thanks! Yeah honestly Armstrong is a bit wonkier of a choice than you’d usually see but then again so was Poppy Bush. Say what you will about the man he wasn’t exactly a font of charisma. But her name got thrown around as a VP choice a few times and she was a keynote speaker in ‘72 so she must have had some oratory chops

Deleted member 145219

Thanks! Yeah honestly Armstrong is a bit wonkier of a choice than you’d usually see but then again so was Poppy Bush. Say what you will about the man he wasn’t exactly a font of charisma. But her name got thrown around as a VP choice a few times and she was a keynote speaker in ‘72 so she must have had some oratory chops
Bush Sr was indeed wonky. I think his problem in real life was he was out of step with where the GOP was. Basically he was an Eisenhower/Nixon guy and not a Reaganite.

I know the whole timeline is set up for a Democratic 1980s… but honestly I hope Reagan wins because it would be hilarious and intriguing. I don’t think anyone has done a Reagan victory timeline with the massive differences you’d see in the altered universe of Ford wins. Any Reagan win would be incredibly narrow and not have the coattails of OTL, so a very different 1980s just off that.

As always cool timeline :)

I know the whole timeline is set up for a Democratic 1980s… but honestly I hope Reagan wins because it would be hilarious and intriguing. I don’t think anyone has done a Reagan victory timeline with the massive differences you’d see in the altered universe of Ford wins. Any Reagan win would be incredibly narrow and not have the coattails of OTL, so a very different 1980s just off that.

As always cool timeline :)
I haven’t seen one of those either; it’d be interesting to see someone throw one together, though, since it’d be a rare and exotic beast

Armstrong was a interesting choice for VP. I've read a lot about her and she's definitely a interesting person. I can definitely see why Reagan picked her in this TL

Armstrong was a interesting choice for VP. I've read a lot about her and she's definitely a interesting person. I can definitely see why Reagan picked her in this TL
She was very in line with the type of people who often got picked as VP choices at that time before it became basically all elected officials