Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
df5zhw0-a7473f59-ffd2-4658-9293-ab74410ee8f8.png

Another in my series of states that never were or are yet to be, this time its Mojave, a state consisting of the California Counties of Riverside and San Bernardino, home to the Inland Empire, and the largest state in the Pacific Southwest.

Population, 4.6 million, which would make it the 26th most populous state, just ahead of Kentucky and behind Louisiana.

Source: https://www.deviantart.com/ynot1989/art/State-of-Mojave-917046864

df5zhw0-a7473f59-ffd2-4658-9293-ab74410ee8f8.png

Another in my series of states that never were or are yet to be, this time its Mojave, a state consisting of the California Counties of Riverside and San Bernardino, home to the Inland Empire, and the largest state in the Pacific Southwest.

Population, 4.6 million, which would make it the 26th most populous state, just ahead of Kentucky and behind Louisiana.

Source: https://www.deviantart.com/ynot1989/art/State-of-Mojave-917046864
Enjoying the series..

Of course, the State of Mojave would run into the issue that such a large portion of its economy and population would be so intimately tied to the state of Los Angeles, but then again you could probably say the same for a lot of states. Perhaps a more substantive problem is the fracturing of SoCal into three separate states would probably make water management an absolute nightmare.

I wold note that by geography Mojave should probably also be granted Inyo and Mono Counties. THey have far more in common in just about every way with the State of Mojave than they do with the rest of California.

You could probably also argue that Imperial County would make more sense attached to Mojave than Cabrillo, though this might make Cabrillo too small

I'm terribly sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, but is there by any chance a place to post maps related to one's worldbuilding/alternate earth maps? Or is this the place, as I have seen a few examples of such posts?

In general, is there a forum for worldbuilding/alternate earth discussion?

but is there by any chance a place to post maps related to one's worldbuilding/alternate earth maps? Or is this the place, as I have seen a few examples of such posts?
I think that in this in thread you can post fantasy maps too
No, not that I know of. Your bast bet is the Writer's Forum or the Maps and Graphics one

I'm terribly sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, but is there by any chance a place to post maps related to one's worldbuilding/alternate earth maps? Or is this the place, as I have seen a few examples of such posts?

Yes, there is this thread for worldbuilding discussion.

You can post maps here or there. There's also Deviant Art and the Cartographer's Guild.

German states old border MBAM with Stettin - flag states.png

MBAM map of unified Germany (1947 as the war ended after the a successful 20 July plot), with states (with flags).
External border changes are that the Soviets don't break the agreement with the Western Allies so Stettin and the islands north of it remain German. Second change is that the 1950 crisis in Belgium is worse and thus Wallonia splits from Belgium. In the end the German speaking eastern parts of Belgium are returned to Germany for some good payment.

Internal border changes are;
The OTL GDR states don't get dissolved and thus retain their pre war borders.
Saxony got all of the rest of Silesia instead of the majority of it.
Lower Saxony never forms, instead Oldenburg (Weser-Ems) and Brunswick (Eastphalia) are expanded, turning the Province of Hannover into the State of Engern.
Bremen never got Wesermünde (What would become the majority of OTL Bremerhaven).
Westphalia and the North Rhine never fused as originally planned.
Like the Americans requested, Greater Hesse got the Kurhessen back.
Since (South) Baden voted mostly against the southwest state, it didn't get included (unlike OTL).
Franconia got it's independence from Bavaria following a referendum in the 90s (Which happened in OTL but was ignored)

The flags meanwhile are as following;
Brandenburg, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and Saxony-Anhalt retain their GDR flag
Berlin retains the flag it had from 1934 till 1954.
Eastphalia uses the flag of Brunswick.
Engern uses a proposed flag for Lower Saxony (Without the shield in this map).
Weser-Ems retains the flag of Oldenburg.
Westphalia uses the flag that was OTL used for the short lived state (Without the shield in this map).
North Rhine uses the flag of the Rhine province.
Saarland uses the flag of the Saar protectorate.
Württemberg(-Baden-Hohenzollern) uses the flag of the Free People's State of Württemberg.

Now to population and GDP.
Since the war ended in mid 1944, there were fewer deaths. With my (probably terrible) calculations, I think the population in 1945 could be something like 69.700.236 instead of the OTL 66.000.000.
Now I went with some calculations to see how German populations would change with fewer deaths, a non ruined East and with 1 million + migrants. (plus at the end including the Belgian parts).
I came up with 91.749.038, making it the 17th most populated country. Roughly the same %wise increasement as OTL Germany (I think so at least).

GDP wise I simply followed the same increasement of population that this Germany has with OTL plus a 5% boost for a non ruined East.
That gave me a GDP of 4.979.000.000.000 trillion dollars. Placing it 3rd, a bit higher than Japan.

Now I don't know if this is in any way close to correct or just the trash of an absolute idiot who couldn't do math to save his damn live. But it's what it gave me.

You can post them here. For full-on discussions there is a Worldbuilding Thread but for just maps, as long as you aren't spamming the same vaguely different map over and over again, you can post them here (along with whatever necessary lore you want to add).

Year 1900, just before the outbreak of the Great War, in a world where the Ottoman Empire collapsed in the 1840s.​

hqusbt93gv091.png

Lore:
The 2nd Ottoman-Egyptian war was a disaster. Egyptian troops brutally defeated Ottoman forces, while the Ottoman Navy defected to the Egyptian side. While Britain wanted to intervene, pressure from France, Spain and Russia prevented him from doing it.
After the Convention of Lugano, in 1940, Constantinople recognised full Egyptian independence and its control over the Levant and Hejaz. Soon after, a civil war broke out within the Empire, between radical reformers and conservatives; which was made worse when the Balkan Peoples (united under a common objective, freedom) revolted, and the Mamluks of Iraq were convinced by Muhammad Ali to declare independence for further development.
This would, by 1846, made the Ottoman Empire a rump state in Anatolia, a shadow of its former self.
Just two years after that, the Revolutions of 1848 broke out across Europe:
The monarchies of Spain and France were ousted, and progressive-republican governments were put in place. In the east, Hungary revolted against Habsburg rule, and even Vienna itself revolted against tyranny. With Russia preocupied with its own rebellions (simultaneously, in Central Asia by Kazakhs and in the Caucasus by various groups), the Habsburg government was forced to recognize Hungarian independence and reform itself into a constitutional monarchy.
At the same time, Prussia rejected the crown of a unified germany, which led to the Revolutionaries offering the crown to Ferdinand I, which led to a partial german unification: Austria, Bavaria, Baden, Württemberg, and some minor states.
The so-called "German War" of 1856 would see a Prussian-led north-german alliance get crushed by the German Empire, while Italy, supported by France, managed to "liberate" Venice from the Germans.
In North America, the American Civil war would see the great USA get divided between a "rump" USA, the CSA, the State of Deseret (a mormon country) and the Pacific States (a mixed hispanic-english federation of states). British support for the CSA proved essential, which made the CSA really close with Britain.
It was only in 1866 that the United Kingdom of Northern Italy managed to unify the Italian Peninsula, forming the Italian Kingdom, a progressive constitutional monarchy. Soon after, a friendship alliance was signed with France.
In 1869, the Suez Canal was opened in Egypt, jointly controlled by France and Spain.
The "Mediterranean Pact", between Egypt, France, Spain and Italy was formalised in 1870, antagonizing British imperialism and Russian interests in the Middle East.
The next decades would see the deepening of European colonialism in Asia, with the Great Qing being forced to cede territories to Russia, Britain, France and Spain with the enacting of Unequal Treties, while the African continent remained relatively unexplored until 1890s. Two main factors opened Africa to colonisation:
In 1885, Egyptian forces conquering Equatoria arrived to the Great Lakes, and rumors about its riches spread across the Nile reached european governments.
In 1893, Spanish historian and explorer Cánovas del Castillo accompained Zanzibari slaveowner, and (self-appointed) governor of the Congo, Tippu Tip, across Africa, being the first European to travel across Africa from Zanzibar to the mouth of the Congo River.
Reporting the natural riches and potential mineral deposit, this would inspire a renewed effort on colonising a new continent, which would still by the 1900 to be fairly unknown.
By this day, the world is divided between two blocs: the Mediterranean Pact and its allies, and the Moscow Accord and its own allies.
The 14th of May, 1900, Queen Victoria was killed by a bomb, while visiting Dublin, by an Irish separatist, which was found to have been armed and commanded by French secret services. Will this tragic event escalate to a wider conflict? We'll see...

Alliances of the world (the "Allies" section only includes main ones):
uq8nis93gv091.png

As always, all feedback and questions are appreciated!

Nice map, I love south Germany TLs and I love the Khedivate of Egypt but the Balkan borders are, to say the least, interesting.

Let's start with Bosnia. Bosnia's Muslim population in the 1840s was not a majority by any means. It was notable, and more importantly, wealthy, but it was only a large minority at that point. Even as late as 1961, over 120 years later, Serbs were the largest group in Bosnia, forming around 42% of the population.

Now, to be fair, the population fluctuated a lot and statistics were often a bit fishy, for example, a 1871 census has Muslims as the biggest religious group at 50% of the population, while a 1875 one has Orthodox Christians and Muslims having a very comparable population and maybe surpassing Muslims. Obviously, such a change in 4 years is impossible, though later Austrian records in 1879 show Serbs/Orthodox Christians as the largest group at 43%, making an Orthodox population on the larger end fairly likely. While some Muslims did leave for the Ottoman empire following the Austrian annexation, the annexation DID come after the Herzegovinian Revolt which saw over 100,000 Serbs out of a total Bosnian population of 1,100,000 killed, so that more than balances out the smaller Muslim exodus.

Muslims were centered in major cities in the middle part of the country and in other urban pockets like Mostar and to a lesser extent Banja Luka, but the countryside was, essentially, full of Serbs who would be tired of Muslim rule.

We should also not forget the Croats, though they were a smaller population and lived in much more mixed areas, they might easily attract the sympathies of Catholic European states or be seen as a useful vector for Austria to spread its influence.

That makes a Bosnia with essentially modern borders difficult to create. Those borders were administrative ones made in peacetime and fell apart in a war even when the country has a Muslim Bosniak majority, the situation would be even messier with the larger Serb populations of the mid 1800s. Even worse, this Bosnia contains more Serb-majority areas than the OTL vilayet. It's also notable that European powers are much more likely to support Christian groups than Muslims. Russia and Austria both had ties to the Serbs by this point (though Russian influence was undoubtedly stronger in 1840). Russia is likely to seek to expand Serbia, Montenegro, and Bulgaria as tools for its own influence in the Balkans and Austria may be pragmatic but having a decently sized Muslim neighbor is unlikely to be favored over having a Christian one.

Even the "Pragmatic Austria supports a Bosniak state to weaken Russian influence through Serbia" line of thinking isn't super likely as an Austria as focused on German affairs as the one ITTL is not gonna have much resources to devote to the Balkans, especially not to maintaining a state which a majority of the population does not want to exist. If anything, I see Austrian Balkan policy being dominated by Croats if Croatia is sufficiently autonomous, so the goal may be to free as many Croats as possible or convert the region to Catholicism. Not really 100% sure.

This isn't some nationalist wish fulfillment on my part, but the Serbs in Bosnia are gonna want to be part of a Serb state, as they showed after WWI and in the Herzegovinian Revolt. The Croats are smaller, but also will not like a new Muslim government. Thus a Bosnia of that size is not super plausible given the POD.

The gigaalbania is at least a bit more ethnically manageable than Bosnia. Though, one should note that in 1840, Kosovo's Albanian population was not as large as IOTL and the south and east of this country would be full of Macedonians/Bulgars (most identified as Bulgars at that point in history) and Greeks, and of course all these Christians whose ethnicities have their own newly-independent states are not gonna like trading one Muslim ruling class for another, especially given that Bulgaria, Serbia, and Greece are all likely to have more foreign support than Albania does (the former two from Russia and the latter from basically all of Western Europe). Perhaps Albania is an Austrian project to control the mouth of the Adriatic, but even then, they'd probably go for a much more moderate and stable state, with, say, Albania, Metohija, and western Macedonia at most, after all, the main goal is just the coast. Perhaps Egypt supports Albania a bit because of Muhammad Ali's ancestry, but again, the state on the map seems too chunky.

What I'm saying is, there is no way that the people of the Balkans would create these borders in 1840, whether left to their own devices or with foreign intervention.

The only way this could happen IMO is with a much more successful Islamization effort under the Ottomans, which is an earlier POD (I actually did a one shot map with that exact premise once).

Now, keep in mind, I'm by no means saying rule by Muslims is inherently bad, I'm just saying Balkan Christians certainly have historically not liked it and in the 1840s they would kill and die to avoid it, especially if the powerful enforcer of Muslim rule that was the Ottoman empire had collapsed.

[edit: One should note that Albanians were more widespread in Greece in the 1840s, just not so much in the parts of OTL Greece TTLs Albania holds. The Greeks did get away with exterminating, deporting, and assimilating (with varying degrees of consent) many Albanians and this was largely because of how much the rest of Europe simped for Greek history (and how Greece was the only real influence foothold Britain had in the Balkans) so it got some leeway to do evil things on occasion. Also, ethnic cleansing WAS generally more acceptable in the 1800s & early 20th century ofc]

Last edited:
View attachment 743992
MBAM map of unified Germany (1947 as the war ended after the a successful 20 July plot), with states (with flags).
External border changes are that the Soviets don't break the agreement with the Western Allies so Stettin and the islands north of it remain German. Second change is that the 1950 crisis in Belgium is worse and thus Wallonia splits from Belgium. In the end the German speaking eastern parts of Belgium are returned to Germany for some good payment.

Internal border changes are;
The OTL GDR states don't get dissolved and thus retain their pre war borders.
Saxony got all of the rest of Silesia instead of the majority of it.
Lower Saxony never forms, instead Oldenburg (Weser-Ems) and Brunswick (Eastphalia) are expanded, turning the Province of Hannover into the State of Engern.
Bremen never got Wesermünde (What would become the majority of OTL Bremerhaven).
Westphalia and the North Rhine never fused as originally planned.
Like the Americans requested, Greater Hesse got the Kurhessen back.
Since (South) Baden voted mostly against the southwest state, it didn't get included (unlike OTL).
Franconia got it's independence from Bavaria following a referendum in the 90s (Which happened in OTL but was ignored)

The flags meanwhile are as following;
Brandenburg, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and Saxony-Anhalt retain their GDR flag
Berlin retains the flag it had from 1934 till 1954.
Eastphalia uses the flag of Brunswick.
Engern uses a proposed flag for Lower Saxony (Without the shield in this map).
Weser-Ems retains the flag of Oldenburg.
Westphalia uses the flag that was OTL used for the short lived state (Without the shield in this map).
North Rhine uses the flag of the Rhine province.
Saarland uses the flag of the Saar protectorate.
Württemberg(-Baden-Hohenzollern) uses the flag of the Free People's State of Württemberg.

Now to population and GDP.
Since the war ended in mid 1944, there were fewer deaths. With my (probably terrible) calculations, I think the population in 1945 could be something like 69.700.236 instead of the OTL 66.000.000.
Now I went with some calculations to see how German populations would change with fewer deaths, a non ruined East and with 1 million + migrants. (plus at the end including the Belgian parts).
I came up with 91.749.038, making it the 17th most populated country. Roughly the same %wise increasement as OTL Germany (I think so at least).

GDP wise I simply followed the same increasement of population that this Germany has with OTL plus a 5% boost for a non ruined East.
That gave me a GDP of 4.979.000.000.000 trillion dollars. Placing it 3rd, a bit higher than Japan.

Now I don't know if this is in any way close to correct or just the trash of an absolute idiot who couldn't do math to save his damn live. But it's what it gave me.
With Stettin left with Germany, I doubt there'd be a need for Mecklenburg and Pomerania to be merged. Aside from that, good enough.

21st century Kaiserreich - War on Anarchy - Copy - Copy - Copy.png

I'm sorry if people find this annoyingly repetitive. I only took advantage of my still existing eagerness for this scenario in order to extend my mapmaking ability a little bit. First time I used anything outside of the standard WorldA base map. Credit to Golbolco for the moon base map & Ernacius for the map layout style.

Last edited:
View attachment 744068
*Start Recording* This is officer 5-78-92-78-21, here to make a classified report on the war. America has been invaded by the Mexicans and the so-called Alliance. We have requested Canadian aid, and they accepted. Also, the "alliance" has been abandoned by the OORA, and now the US and Canada are in OORA. This has prompted Mexico and the "alliance" to join the CSTO, and the Mexican Empire has joined us as well. May God (and Cuba) have mercy on their souls. Now, for an update in the South American Front. Brazilian and Uruguayan forces move throughout Peru, Bolivia, and Argentina. Bolivia has collapsed, causing the mountainous coast to be occupied by Peruvian and Argentine forces to keep supply. Now, let us look at Africa. Morocco has forced the Cuban soldiers to surrender. Good job, Morocco! They have also forced a surrender of the Congo and South Africa. Now, the Asian and Oceanic Fronts. Now, this map does not contain New Zealand, but I can assure you, it is still under enemy control. The Indochinese Navy has landed in the Philippines, Taiwan, Sri Lanka, and some smaller islands belonging to Indonesia and India. They have also landed on Sumatra, more specifically, the Aceh region. Indochina has also invaded more into mainland China, also conquering Hong Kong. China and Russia jointly invade Mongolia, destroying the UN Capital. Other UN powers, not wishing to be involved in the war, set up a new UN Capital, this time in Kabul. Uzbekistan betrays CSTO and joins OORA, and assists Turkey in defeating Central Asia. Uzbekistan invades Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Tajikistan. China moves forces into Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan to occupy the lands, as to not let it fall to OORA. Now, a look at Europe. Turkey continues to move forces into Central Asia, making sure to keep some on the front lines in defensive positions. Morocco also moves forces, taking the Baltic Coast over, as well as Helsinki, Murmansk, and Saint Petersburg. Canada also invades Greenland. Forgot to mention that. Now-hey! Shut up in there! I am recording on these devices. Tell them where the other one is? The one we confiscated? Yeah, that is right, we have listened and checked it out, and seems like it is just informative. You still broke the law! You can't just have CSTO sympathies here! Oh, right. Well, I don't know if you heard that, but the other device before this one is behind the D.C Prison. Oh, wow! You never told me this thing had a fu- *End Recording*

Please give me feedback and questions.
1653396956226.png

*Start Recording* This is officer 5-78-92-78-21, here to make a classified report on the war. America has been invaded by the Mexicans and the so-called Alliance. We have requested Canadian aid, and they accepted. Also, the "alliance" has been abandoned by the OORA, and now the US and Canada are in OORA. This has prompted Mexico and the "alliance" to join the CSTO, and the Mexican Empire has joined us as well. May God (and Cuba) have mercy on their souls. Now, for an update in the South American Front. Brazilian and Uruguayan forces move throughout Peru, Bolivia, and Argentina. Bolivia has collapsed, causing the mountainous coast to be occupied by Peruvian and Argentine forces to keep supply. Now, let us look at Africa. Morocco has forced the Cuban soldiers to surrender. Good job, Morocco! They have also forced a surrender of the Congo and South Africa. Now, the Asian and Oceanic Fronts. Now, this map does not contain New Zealand, but I can assure you, it is still under enemy control. The Indochinese Navy has landed in the Philippines, Taiwan, Sri Lanka, and some smaller islands belonging to Indonesia and India. They have also landed on Sumatra, more specifically, the Aceh region. Indochina has also invaded more into mainland China, also conquering Hong Kong. China and Russia jointly invade Mongolia, destroying the UN Capital. Other UN powers, not wishing to be involved in the war, set up a new UN Capital, this time in Kabul. Uzbekistan betrays CSTO and joins OORA, and assists Turkey in defeating Central Asia. Uzbekistan invades Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Tajikistan. China moves forces into Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan to occupy the lands, as to not let it fall to OORA. Now, a look at Europe. Turkey continues to move forces into Central Asia, making sure to keep some on the front lines in defensive positions. Morocco also moves forces, taking the Baltic Coast over, as well as Helsinki, Murmansk, and Saint Petersburg. Canada also invades Greenland. Forgot to mention that. Now-hey! Shut up in there! I am recording on these devices. Tell them where the other one is? The one we confiscated? Yeah, that is right, we have listened and checked it out, and seems like it is just informative. You still broke the law! You can't just have CSTO sympathies here! Oh, right. Well, I don't know if you heard that, but the other device before this one is behind the D.C Prison. Oh, wow! You never told me this thing had a fu- *End Recording*

Any thoughts or questions?

Europe, North Africa and Europe in 1100 CE in the Unnamed Gothic Empire TL.
I don't know it's intentional, but you mentioned Europe twice here. Apart from that, this is the best Q-BAM I've seen in years. I hope we can keep seeing the results of your work for a long time to come, since these are the best Q-BAMs currently being made on the internet as far as I am aware.

I don't know it's intentional, but you mentioned Europe twice here. Apart from that, this is the best Q-BAM I've seen in years. I hope we can keep seeing the results of your work for a long time to come, since these are the best Q-BAMs currently being made on the internet as far as I am aware.
I think there are some other really good ones - there was recent-ish-ly a Draka-related Q-BAM post here, which is normally not a setting I care for, but which was was basically the entire inspiration for me trying to make something with a bit more aesthetic style - but thank you very much!

That was supposed to say what it says on the image, of course. Woops.

Hopefully everyone can see what is supposed to be represented on the map, Im experimenting with style and art content for my project. Any input welcome! (And yes it is supposed to be a barebones rugged smartphone).

Anyhow this is a post-apocalyptic scenario set in the future, it has been inspired by staples like Fallout and the Resident Evil movie universe. As I work on it I hope to add more lore and maps, I do have one of the pre-Fall world that I will be posting eventually after a write up.

Persian Gulf Civ Zone.png

Persian Gulf CIVzone​

1: The Confederation of the Sheikhs​

Following the population collapse of the Fall the Bedouins of the Arabian Desert suddenly became the most populous people group in the Middle East, at least those that were isolated enough to survive the initial onslaughts of the bioplagues. Surviving for a time as they had for millennia the Bedouins came under increasing pressure from bianyibeasts, notably quasi-wars with growing prides of sandlions, as well as with the Sandpeople and they began to slowly migrate away from the dunes.

One group pushed into the ragged desolated remains of central Iraq, Mesopotamia if you will, and settled in the region. The desiccated survivors of the old Arabistan population were pushed north into the terrifying Kusu Range or slaughtered to make way for caravans of Bedouins eager for a sedentary lifestyle. Old Iraq died its final death in those decades.

The New Bedouins, as we have come to know them, are still an infamously passionate and temperamental lot. Their intense internal rivalries revolving around centuries old tribal/clan feuds make them a much less substantial enemy than they could be. Pressure from Revolutionary Guards (Sepah) clone bunkers to the east has also tampered with New Bedouin expansionism considerably. Technological backwardness, at best a mixed bag of 18th century and mid 20th century technology, also ensures that this populous and well settled entity remains of lesser concern to our operations in the Persian Gulf.

THREAT LEVEL: Classified

2: The Four​

The Greater North Hemispheric Mutual Defense Commitment had a dedicated attack dog in the Middle East, leaving Russia to focus its resources on more pressing concerns. That attack dog was Iran. During the years preceding the Fall Iran developed a great deal of highly focused long term weapons, the most apparent to us right now are the Revolutionary Guard Bunkers.

Essentially Revolutionary Guardsmen were cloned, permanently indoctrinated with gene therapy and established in a host of bunker fortresses along the Iranian frontier. Most of these facilities were lost in the Fall or succumbed in the whirlwind of disasters afterwards, a number survived unfortunately. The so-called “Four” are among them, perhaps the only bunkers with reliable communications and organization between them.

While the initial Sepah clones, despite long gene tailored lives, have mostly perished they have left plenty of succeeding generations. Periodic raids on survivors in search of ‘wombs’ ensured that. Again unfortunately for our operations in the Iranian Ruinland the Sepah gene therapy was so effective that the indoctrinated DNA was inherited, leaving what is believed to be indefinite generations of Sepah supersoldiers passionately guarding the Iranian frontiers. It should be noted however that the gene therapy has seemingly precluded any substantial expansionary activities as well, the Guardsmen were created merely for long term defense.

3: The Association​

One of a number of Lifesure Cyrogenics Facilities (Crypts) in the Middle East. The Association was awakened by an error, an engineer awoke early, saw the dead AI systems and saved the rest of the crypt from eternal slumber. This unnamed engineer was instrumental in the stable foundation of the Association afterwards.

This facility was composed of mostly wealthy suburbanites from the American Midwest mixed with a fair number of their Arabistan counterparts. Flaky, self-obsessed, shallow people dominated by a consumerist mentality that were more dedicated to self-loving survival than anything else. Awakening nearly 50 years ago the Frostmen of Lifesure Cyrogenics Facility E5 were observers to the worst of the New Bedouin migrations into Mesopotamia, though never welcoming any Iraqi refugees in those days.

Cold, calculating and slow to emotion the old frosties organized themselves into the open ended democratic “Association”, cooling observing the more reckless ‘human’ elements around them. The freeze angled deep into their genetic makeup, despite some hopes to the contrary, the first toddlers soon exhibited a strange lack of humor, excitement and passion.

Now the Association, with comparatively better tech than the New Bedouins, has been able to manipulate and bribe them to stay away from their steadily growing territories. While their own objectives are fairly opaque it is becoming increasingly obvious that the Association is searching for something, often sending recon parties in heavily armed lightjeeps into the dunes of Arabia.

4: ZeroPacific Eden Branch​

CLASSIFIED

5: The Free Union of Survivors​

All Lifesure Crypts had an overseer AI that was supposed to safeguard the frozen denizens and awaken them at the appropriate time for reentry into reality. Most AI succumbed in the Purge Fog. Not all AI died right away though.

For some reason this AI was better insulated, better developed and saved ultimately from the Purge Fog. That is until it was connected with the remnants of the nanoweapon after the underground Crypt was opened. The Lifesure facility was composed of a polyglot mixture of East-West citizens, Consensus expats and even a few Ruskies.

Now the Free Union, a pure democratic entity, is shakily getting up on its feets, feuding dangerously with the odd new Sultan of Bahrain. With some development and a deal of luck the Free Union could very well establish itself to be a driving force of real progress in the Persian Gulf CIVzone.

However there is a dark undertone to the incredible survival of the AI so well into the Apocalypse, especially when the Sultan’s arrival coincided perfectly with their awakening. There is evidence to point to a potential hidden agenda, the fact that hidden, abandoned tunnels underneath LCF E23 have recently been discovered points to more truth behind it all. We are currently monitoring continued exploration attempts via CLASSIFIED.

6. The Sultanate of Future Bahrain​

As mentioned previously a coincidence with the Sultan’s awakening and the awakening of what became the Free Union is of considerable concern, it points strongly to a guiding factor.

The Sultan, previously a wealthy Arab businessman, collected a group of like minded individuals and servants and froze himself in anticipation of the Fall. Somehow he was able to arrange a special deal with Lifesure that granted their “Crypt” unique privileges, not least of which was his own hand in the design and construction of the facility.

Perhaps mentally unstable before or merely deeply affected by the cryosleep the Sultan has begun a strange quest to “revive Eden”. Attempts to infiltrate this project have been met with public beheading in the Gathering Square in the Sultan’s Crypt, the icy coolness and patience of other cyrosleepers is apparently lacking in the Sultan.

7: The Central Command​

Despite receiving numerous direct nuclear hits and splashed liberally with bioweapons, Al Edeid Airbase, or rather its surprisingly deep bunker system, saved a considerable portion of the Arabistan and US airmen housed onsit. Deep mechanical recesses even saved a portion of the airfleet (much to our disadvantage). For obvious reasons a diplomatic spat over who had command between the US Airforce detachment and the native Qatari Arab garrison resulted in the more powerful US component assuming control under the directive of the United States Central Command.

In time the Central Command breached its bunker retreat and began a process of rebuilding Qatar and the surrounding region into what hopefully resembled a nation state. Initial attempts at a republican process fell flat in the face of the obvious environmental difficulties, particularly after a scare with smallpox, and the Central Command reverted to a strictly stratocratic system.

Central Command is a powerful political entity in the Persian Gulf and retains more than just memories of the years before the Fall, and has been of some use in their aggressive recon of Sepah forces. However overall Central Command has become increasingly hostile to our purposes in the region.

8: MIT - Arabian Department​

Massachusetts Institute of Technology obviously had a stake in the Arabian Desert. The Arabian Department was launched by MIT to study various potential Martian and Lunar colonization schemes, complete with extensive human experimentation and bioengineering to that end. That and the Eden Project of course.

Currently MIT, Mit Town by ragtag Arab survivors permanently encamped around the semi-underground facility, is an important fixture in Persian Gulf geopolitics. Their substantial and utterly undamaged reserves of remote drone equipment (autonomous drones were destroyed by the Purge Fog) has made the tiny little Institute a dangerous entity.

Provost Elissa Dean recently resurrected the board of trustees in an attempt to organize a governing body for the steadily growing extra-MIT population around the faculties. Her moves have been met with considerable hostility from purists in the institution and the situation is thought to be critical.

9: The Kingdom of Salts​

This Crypt was opened fairly early after the Fall, resulting in the inhabitants barely surviving a remnant bioplague. The crisis resulted in a dangerous population collapse and a political reformation that ultimately brought about a strange esoteric Kingdom.

While friendly to all neighbors, the Kingdom resides mostly within its crypt and evidence points to substantial expansion of its original underground tunnels. The traumatic experience of their awakening has ensured that this particular collection of frosties retains a total hermit demeanor, their long beards and sallow sunken features from constant fasting highlights this behavior all the more.

As the nearest neighbor of Great Russia the Kingdom also had a powerfully organized and fairly elite military, now terribly sophisticated in its weapons range but otherwise quite capable. Their Salt Knights, riding regenerated stocks of Arabian stallions, regularly fend off minor excursions westwards by Great Russia.

10: The Guild of Shipsmen​

The collapse of global trade just before the Fall saw substantial quantities of ships beached going out of the Persian Gulf, creating massive ship graveyards (already there given the steadily declining importance of Middle Eastern oil). These graveyards proved tantalizing habitats for near crazed survivors.

Following the Fall a group of helter skelter Iranian survivors, fleeing in trickles from the desolate hinterlands to the southern coast, sheltered within these gargantuan skeletons of ships. In time a society developed around them that utilized the considerable quantities of easy to access steel building materials to erect formidable towns and shelters. A thriving society was slowly formed along the abandoned beaches of Bandar Abbas.

In time these survivors took wholeheartedly to their “dry seafaring” and began to call themselves the Guild of Shipsmen, or sometimes Shipbreakers (which stuck). This form of social organization and scavenging became immensely appealing and the Iranian survivors began to expand to other pileups of beached tanks and other detritus of a maritime age.

Rigidly organized and predisposed to a desperate ferocity (coming from surviving a multitude of GM plagues following the bombs) the Shipbreakers were able to destroy a Revolutionary Guards’ bunker fortress early on and soon established themselves as a major, if technologically backwards, player on the Lesser Persian Gulf and the Eden region more broadly.

Of course now nearly 80 years after the Fall the Shipbreakers no longer exclusively live in desiccated oil tankers or in the remains of said tanks, their settlements have blossomed into considerable towns and smaller villages dot the new coastline and extend outwards in the Eden salt flats and even into the still desolate Iranian mainland.

11: Great Russia​

The South Arabian puppet of Russia, or as they called themselves the Eurasian Union, became an important strategic asset of Moscow and as such was well endowed with Russian military bases, beachside resorts and desert research laboratories. In Oman a powerful eccentric oligarch by the name of Dmitri Petrov built a post-nuclear survival bunker, connected with the local Russian airbase in the region (speaking volumes of the hazy private-public distinctions in Eurasia).

An ultra-nationalist Petrov supplied the bunker with copious quantities of “pure Rus DNA” and artificial womb and fertilization technology. Upon entering the world after MAD Dmitri wanted a ready supply of Russians to help him build a new state, for political reasons he was incapable of doing such in Russia proper so South Arabia had to do.
As of now Great Russia is an imposing political unit, militaristic with an arsenal that rivals Central Command and the Sepah Bunker and more alarmingly an utterly antagonistic foreign outlook that is not tempered by ill conceived mind control as in the Revolutionary Guard.

The Dinast, as the leader of Great Russia is known, is the grandson of Dmitri and he has recently embarked on several attacks on small Omani coastal communities. In typical fashion there were no survivors as he incorporated the region into Great Russia, simply for the access to fishing grounds.

12: The Sepah East Front​

One of the few surviving eastern Sepah Bunkers, Indian intelligence was considerably better than their East-West counterparts and New Delhi’s nukes had perfect targets to hit. Nevertheless one was missed.

The East Front is ostensibly within the framework of the other Sepah Bunker and technically is in league with the Four out west. In practice however there is not true communication or much less coordination. There the East Front has been able to chart its own more independent course.

The East Front has slowly reorganized politically away from the fierce ideological indoctrination stemming from genetics and turned towards a more traditional royalist structure. The commanding Colonel has been able to hand down the reins of power to a son twice now, effectively cementing the affair as tradition. Furthermore despite the gene therapy the East Front, perhaps exploiting a glitch focusing this bunkers eyes eastwards, has slowly begun expanding east in former Balochistan. A worrying development as our own intelligence is sparse in South East Asia.

13: The Fire of the Shah​

This is perhaps the most eccentric development in the entirety of the Persian Gulf CIVzone. The Fire of the Shah is apparently a cult descended from a group of nuclear research scientists in an Iranian nuclear bomb manufacturing plant. Perhaps the sheer millions of deaths they were responsible for cracked their heads. Perhaps all nuclear scientists are such.

Little can be elaborated on with regards to the Fire of the Shah, all that is conclusively known is that the entity worships some kind of combination of nuclear warfare, atomic bombs, the Achemaenid Shahs and Iranian ancestors. Their fanatical soldiers have been spotted and occasionally fended off by Shipbreaker patrols to the north.

Worryingly cryptic radio messages about “unveiling the fiery Shah” point to the potential of a live nuclear capability in their hands.

14: The Commonality of the Sands and Sun​

To be perfectly upfront, the Commonality is the direct responsibility of some ill considered directives by Pacific Corp prior to the Fall. Human bioengineering, with the assistance of the Arabian Department of MIT, resulted in the creation of transhumans capable of thriving under extreme heat in extreme desert circumstances.

These sandpeople were thin to conserve water usage, had large ears to dispense heat, scaly rough skin to stop evaporation and protect the person from the sun and organs that needed substantially less water. The 2nd batch escaped during the Fall, the 1st was terminated earlier and the 3rd and 4th batches died by atomic blasts outside of the Dubai laboratories.

The Commanility is now fiercely anti-human and regards the harsh Arabian desert as their home and native range. Their population growth forced the Bedouins in southern Iraq, and it should be noted elsewhere as well, and as of now they are potentially very dangerous to our HQ in the
Middle East. Though they do not know where that is actually located.

While they do have sedentary settlements in central Arabia, as captured by drone surveillance, their roving bands have been encountered as far south as Great Russia. Though even the sandpeople are apparently very cautious about entering the Empty Quarter Biohazard Zone.

Last edited:
View attachment 744187
I'm sorry if people find this annoyingly repetitive. I only took advantage of my still existing eagerness for this scenario in order to extend my mapmaking ability a little bit. First time I used anything outside of the standard WorldA base map. Credit to Golbolco for the moon base map & Ernacius for the map layout style.
Fixed the last time, I hope :coldsweat:. Added 2 mini Europe maps depicting the 2 wws.

Status
Not open for further replies.