The fact this got posted as soon as a I logged on today makes me happier than you can imagine. So happy to see this come back!

Superb update! It was really interesting to learn about all the cultural and everday life changes that a less violent Spanish arrival is causing TTL. How are things going further west in Tarascan lands?

Oh very nice! Mesoamerican priests pointing out the inconsistencies and the hypocrisies was funny. "Like, hey wait a minute..."

The correlation though... that's pretty intriguing

(10) I swear, someone HAD to make that connection IOTL. Seriously!​

Mormon hermeneuticists and theologians?

Book_of_Mormon_Lands_and_Sites2.jpg

Oh my, I didn't expect the update to get such a big response so quickly! I'm glad it was worth the wait for you guys.

The fact this got posted as soon as a I logged on today makes me happier than you can imagine. So happy to see this come back!
Just plain awesome! Really looking forward to see what other changes the Nepantla brings.
Thanks a lot! I had an university course on what colonial Spanish America was like a few months ago (it's how I learned about the concept of Nepantla in the first place), and I couldn't wait to apply what I learned back then into the TL.

Superb update! It was really interesting to learn about all the cultural and everday life changes that a less violent Spanish arrival is causing TTL. How are things going further west in Tarascan lands?
Not gonna lie, I want to write an update on the Purépecha really badly, BUT, first I need to show how the Italian Wars are going. That way, some of the decisions the Spanish crown will make in the future will be more understandable.

Excellent update! Looks like the storm clouds are brewing over the Triple Alliance.
Indeed... Times are still good for now, though.

Oh very nice! Mesoamerican priests pointing out the inconsistencies and the hypocrisies was funny. "Like, hey wait a minute..."

The correlation though... that's pretty intriguing
Yeah, I really enjoyed writing what an "honest" debate between the two religions might've been like, or at least one where the local practicioners and priests weren't forced to convert or die.

Mormon hermeneuticists and theologians?

Book_of_Mormon_Lands_and_Sites2.jpg
Whoa, that's... something.

The Spanish do realize the Aztecs aren't really Israelites... right?
Well... maybe they were led astray by a demon or two? :coldsweat:

On a more serious note, the episode where Huitzilopochtli commands the Mexica priests to kill a foreign princess and wear her skin could definitely be interpreted like that.

NotBigBrother

Monthly Donor
As for the Spaniards, their interest was most piqued by the purported origin story of the Mexica: according to their counterparts, they were a nomadic people who originated in a distant, arid region far to the north who, after many trials and persecutions by stronger peoples, eventually settled in the land that had been promised to them by Huitzilopochtli, the island on which Tenochtitlan was founded. The similarities between this story and the one narrated by the Book of Exodus, in which the Israelites fled from a life of slavery in Egypt and made a new home for themselves in Canaan after an arduous journey, were impossible to ignore (10). To the missionaries, this could mean only one thing: in spite of their mistaken beliefs and barbaric practices, the Mexica and their subjects were people just like themselves, people who already knew some aspects of Christianity despite never having heard of it for their entire lives, until now.
What would Spaniards think about "the eagle with a snake in claws" since Christianity is not on very good terms with snakes, too?

Last edited:
What would Spaniards think about "the eagle with a snake in claws" since Christianity is not on very good terms with snakes, too?
Oh yeah, I forgot about that very important symbol. The Spaniards see it as another sign the Mexica can be converted if they do their missionary work right.

Praise God and Huitzilopochtli! It’s back! Also I wonder if missionary work will be effective in the Inca Empire, be interesting if the Incans view Christianity the same way the Tokugawa did.

It's always a good day when this updates. Splendidly written as usual! I like the religion-exchange a lot, it really is odd how much of the two align with each other. Then again, historical truth is stranger than fiction, and we love it for it.

@Vinization, if you are ok with it, I'd be down to make a map based on it for TTL, depicting the "Nepantla" period in Mesoamerica (say the situation in 1590), it might be good to know the players.

In ITTL, how well known would Nezahualcoyotl and his writings be amongst Europeans? Some may compare him to the philosophers of ancient Greece!

Amazing update! As knowledge of the Gold Trade in Europe increases, will there be attempts by other powers (e.g. Valois France) trying to muscle in on Mesoamerica?