Photo of a World Without World Wars

The Evolution of Women's Western Fashion throughout the XX Century (and beginning of the XXI Century)
Part III (1970-1999)
The 1970s
1647013815836.png

Woman wearing a typical 1970s white sundress, 1974
Fashion from 1970 to 1979 in the Western world was characterized by the end of the "new look" silhouette, the Victorian and Edwardian revival, and the beginning of the liberalization of women's clothing at the end of the decade. It was a time of major reforms in clothing, due to new developments in materials and haute couture, new technologies brought advances in production through mass production, greater efficiency, generating higher standards and uniformity.

Another major influence on women's fashion at this time was the political and cultural climate. As women were taking a more active role in their communities, in the political world and in society at large, their clothing reflected this change. As an emphasis on athletics influenced a change in clothing that allowed freedom of movement, an emphasis on less rigid gender roles influenced a change in clothing that allowed for more self-expression, fashionable women's clothing styles abandoned some of the extravagances of the decades earlier (so the skirts weren't crinolines like they were in the 50's and 60's).

The styles of these decades were mainly inspired by the Victorian era (mainly the 1880s and 1890s) and by the Edwardian Era, they were also heavily influenced by the sports fashions of the 1920s and the fashions of the 1940s, white lace, straw hats, floral prints and bright colors reign, the Victorian revival brought a delicate, feminine and romantic touch to the wardrobe, , moreover during the 70's a great fitness craze hit the world, making sportswear increasingly common, the politics of the 1970s was characterized by social movements such as the civil rights movement (1969-1976) that saw the end of Jim Crow in the United States, the beginning of decolonization in Africa in favor of the creation of autonomous territories, the beginning of the space race (1977-1993), the end of several dictatorships around the world (Brazil, Spain, Russia, China, Iran and etc), this ended up reflecting in fashion that underwent liberalization from the end of the decade.

1980s
fdb9f7760e1573ce3c26abbbb6698431.jpg
1647015414620.png

A woman poses for a photo on a spring day, she wears a Neo-Edwardian dress (1981); Girls in Evening Dresses Chatting During a Ball (1985)
Fashion from 1980 to 1989 in the western world underwent a modernization, in the late 70's the clothing reform movement began to become popular and throughout the decade, women's clothing underwent a great liberalization in relation to looser clothing. which revealed more arms and legs. The 1980s are characterized by two distinct periods of fashion: at the beginning of the decade, change was slower and there was more reluctance to wear the new revealing popular styles. Starting in 1985, the public more passionately embraced styles now typically associated with the 80s and 90s. These styles continued to characterize fashion until the mid-2010s.

The 1970s suffered a short period of economic stagnation between 1974 and 1981, but the 1980s began with an economic boom in 1981, this caused a palpable optimism in the majority of the population, too, in the late 1970s. As the clothing reform movement became popular, demanding freer, sportier fashions (mostly inspired by the 1920s) and a reduction in strict social norms about women's clothing, fashion trends in the 1980s became more accessible and practices, due to new developments in materials and haute couture, new technologies have brought advances in production through mass production, greater efficiency, generating higher standards and uniformity.

During the 1980s, the Victorian and Edwardian revival, which began in the 1970s, took off strongly, with the decline of the "New Look", sleeves began to increase in size and the slender silhouettes of the Victorian and Edwardian era shaped of an hourglass have become popular again. The fashionable silhouette in the late 20th century was that of a confident woman with a full chest and curvy hips, women wore dresses all day, every day. Day dresses went from ankle to knee, never above, while evening dresses went down to the ankle, ruffles and extravagant decorations became increasingly common in dresses, huge wide-brimmed hats came back into fashion in the mid-decade, adorned With flowers, jewelry, ribbons, the fitness craze of the 1970s continued into the early 1980s, causing a new rise in sportswear.

Masses of wavy hair were in vogue, and old Victorian curls became extremely desired by most women, other accessories like evening gloves, bonnets, pearls, chokers and jewelry necklaces were becoming extremely popular once again.
1990s
1647016235389.png
maxresdefault.jpg

Casual Dress 90's in 1997; High society ladies pose for a photo during a horse race in Ascott
Fashion from 1990 to 1999 in the western world was characterized by rich and exotic opulence, often this period is known as "The Roaring 90's" because of its extravagant fashions allied to great economic growth, the 90s are known for their excesses, Elegant dresses richly decorated with expensive jewels, flowers and ribbons, elegant brimmed hats, silk gloves and very large and fluffy hair are some of the hallmarks of this era.

90s fashion continued with the Victorian and Edwardian revivals of previous decades, however, this decade's clothing was also largely inspired by the Titanic era of the 50s and 20s, and other eras such as the Regency, 18th century and renaissance, in addition to the emergence of new technologies that have made fashion globalized

In the early 1990s, several fashions from the late 1980s remained very popular among the female population, however, recycling styles from earlier decades, notably the 50s, 20s, and 10s, made the fashion of the decade increasingly unique. , the 1990s, unlike previous periods, presented a series of different trends, due to the increase in the availability of Commonet and satellite television outside the United States or Europe, in addition to the reduction of import tariffs with the creation of the Andureira Union In Europe, fashion became more globalized and homogeneous in the late 1990s and early 2000s.
Some of the characteristic styles of the 1990s are:

Victorian/Edwardian Revival: The Victorian and Edwardian revival began in the 1970s, and its peak in the 1980s, although continuing through the 1990s, was a minor move compared to previous decades, as this style was characterized by a typical Victorian-era hourglasses silhouette, with dresses richly decorated with ribbons and bows, evening gloves were an almost mandatory item, bonnets came back into fashion, women wore necklaces full of precious stones and fur, and carried their little niece around, the oversized hats that did not spare decorations such as flowers, jewelry and bows, the crazy hats were without a doubt one of the most striking features of the 90s.

Titanic Era Revival:In the early 90's, dresses inspired by the Titanic Era (1910-1919) became quite popular, new expeditions to the wreck site in 1992 inspired several designers to rescue the unique style of that time, the release of the movie Titanic in 1997 would still give more space for this revival.
The style was characterized by the return of a more natural and straight silhouette, with dresses full of rich brocades, antique lace, beautiful embroidery, chiffon petticoats and ruffles, huge and extravagant hats.

Sportswear Revival/1920s revival: While the Edwardian and Victorian revivals tried to bring back an elegant and opulent style, Sportwear tried to bring back into fashion the eclectic and cheerful style, inspired by the 1920s, the revival (popular mainly in the United States, where the movement began ) was inspired by the clothing reform movement of the 70's and 80's, such movements managed in the previous decades, to liberalize women's clothing, for a looser and more comfortable style,

As more generic and versatile sportswear became more prominent in collections, the press increasingly promoted the use of these garments in an everyday context. In the mid-1990s, American advertisers also began actively promoting the idea that sportswear was as appropriate for ordinary daywear as it was for active activities, presenting it as the epitome of modernity and the American ideal. popular in the United States, however, it did not achieve such status in the rest of the world, much more attracted by the elegant and extravagant fashions that emerged with the Edwardian, Victorian and Titanic revivals.

Last edited:
Dude, did you read my mind or something? that's exactly what i was thinking.
Hahaha great minds think alike.

Casual Dress 90's in 1997; High society ladies pose for a photo during a horse race in Ascott
Fashion from 1980 to 1989 in the western world was characterized by rich and exotic opulence, often this period is known as "The Roaring 90's" because of its extravagant fashions allied to great economic growth, the 90s are known for their excesses, Elegant dresses richly decorated with expensive jewels, flowers and ribbons, elegant brimmed hats, silk gloves and very large and fluffy hair are some of the hallmarks of this era.

90s fashion continued with the Victorian and Edwardian revivals of previous decades, however, this decade's clothing was also largely inspired by the Titanic era of the 50s and 20s, and other eras such as the Regency, 18th century and renaissance, in addition to the emergence of new technologies that have made fashion globalized

Got to love those crazy 90s hats!

Will the 2000s see crop tops and low rise jeans?

definitely not

I'd agree that jeans is a hard no. Crop tops mixed in with some of the fashion we going for (especially long dresses), I wouldn't rule out, but they would be seen as scandalous as the bikini when it first came out in OTL... not sure what do you think @Kaiserreich333? I do wonder what the athletic trends would look like here, especially for women. Some form of long skort could work (and would definitively come about much earlier than OTL).

I'm gona try to do a deep dive into pinterest. @Kaiserreich333 would you mind if I post a few pics (without contradicting what you have up). I'll do so.​

I'd agree that jeans is a hard no. Crop tops mixed in with some of the fashion we going for (especially long dresses), I wouldn't rule out, but they would be seen as scandalous as the bikini when it first came out in OTL... not sure what do you think @Kaiserreich333? I do wonder what the athletic trends would look like here, especially for women. Some form of long skort could work (and would definitively come about much earlier than OTL).

I'm gona try to do a deep dive into pinterest. @Kaiserreich333 would you mind if I post a few pics (without contradicting what you have up). I'll do so.
Feel free my good friend, help is always welcome

Last edited:
1647044132612.png

Kaiser Friedrich IV, Emperor of Germany and his wife
Formerly 4th in line to the throne, Kaiser Louis Ferdinand I's heir married a commoner such as Prince Michael, and Friedrich's father Louis Ferdinand (son of Louis Ferdinand I) was killed in a accident plane during test flight of the new Messerschmitt Bf-319 "Black Eagle", leaving Louis Ferdinand I tearing his hair out in frustration at his son's obstinacy and Friedrich IV the heir. Assuming the throne in 1994 after the death of his grandfather, Friedrich IV is a laid-back and charismatic ruler.

Last edited:
We were talking a lot about fashion recently on this forum, so how about we talk a little bit about music.

How could music evolve in a world without world wars? I know that classical music/Opera would be more relevant and Jazz would still exist (perhaps it will continue to be the dominant style in pop music to this day) more while other more modern styles, Rock, Electronic, Rap, Hip hop and etc. , would they still exist or would they be forgotten in history?

The Status of Africa
IMG_20220314_064037.jpg

Current government status
Dark red: Completely Independent Countries
Light red: Independent Countries under Great European Influence
Dark green: Overseas Territories with Autonomy
Light green: Colonial Status
Blue: Colonial Confederation (Confederation of French Africa)
Yellow: Independent Kingdoms under European Influence/Protection
Orange: International Zones (Suez and Tangier International Zones
IMG_20220314_063737.jpg

Status of European Influence
Pink: Imperial Federation (British Influence)
Blue: Union Française (French Influence)
Grey: Deutscher Bund (German Influence)
Light Green: Territori italiani d'oltremare (Italian Influence)
Dark Green: Territorios Ultramarinos de Portugal (Portuguese Influence)
Purple: Congo belge (Belgian Influence)
Yellow: Territorios de Ultramar de España (Spanish Influence)
Red: No kind of European influence

IMG_20220314_063312.jpg
Independence Era
Dark Blue: Independence before 1960
Light Blue: Independence between 1961 and 1970
Green: Independence between 1971 and 1980
Yellow: Independence between 1981 and 1990
Red: Independence between 1991 and 2000
Purple: Independence between 2001 and 2010
Pink: Independence between 2011 and 2020
Orange: Not an independent nation

Last edited:
How could music evolve in a world without world wars? I know that classical music/Opera would be more relevant and Jazz would still exist (perhaps it will continue to be the dominant style in pop music to this day) more while other more modern styles, Rock, Electronic, Rap, Hip hop and etc. , would they still exist or would they be forgotten in history?
Alright let hit the Nail in a Coffin right away. First of all Jazz and Rap would never be as Popular in this World than Otl cause of black people never had the Civil Rights passed and Jim Crow would stomped any Popularity of Jazz's music to mainstream American audiences.

There one Stupid, but Interesting Idea I had and is that Black Southerners (If the Great Migration of Northern America never occurs)
Would Migration to Liberia with having fellow black folks to not being oppressed of Jim Crow and the Opportunity to Finally realize their Black culture and Build their own Country.
This "Great Return" I called it would Definitely be Supported by the Southern states for getting will of their "Black problem" and not Risking their States Demographic being Majorly black.

But back on topic, I will Jazz's and Rap would Definitely be Popular in Liberia, but in the Rest of World, probably be Written off as "Barbaric and Ungentleman Music"

Last edited:
csm_techsummit_pix3_51c8d4d818.jpg

A crowd gathers in Accra, Gold Coast to celebrate the result of the region's independence referendum on August 16, 2020.

Until 2020 the Gold Coast maintained its colonial status, being governed directly by a High Commissioner chosen by Westmister, being together with Gambia and Sierra Leone the last British colonies in mainland Africa, during the 2000s and 2010s the population began to demand at least end of colonial status and the creation of an independent dominion under the British crown.
In December 2019 the parliament of the Imperial Federation approved a referendum for the independence of the region, to which the options were as follows:

• Creation of a new independent state called Dominion of Gold Coast (85%)
  • Maintain British Crown Colony Status ( 12%)
  • Full independence from Great Britain and withdrawal from the Imperial Federation (3%)

The population voted overwhelmingly for independence and on October 1, 2020 the new Dominion of Gold Coast was officially created receiving 6 seats in the parliament of the Imperial Federation[1]

[1] Each nation receives one seat for every 5 million inhabitants)

Alright let hit the Nail in a Coffin right away. First of all Jazz and Rap would never be as Popular in this World than Otl cause of black people never had the Civil Rights passed and Jim Crow would stomped any Popularity of Jazz's music to mainstream American audiences.

There one Stupid, but Interesting Idea I had and is that Black Southerners (If the Great Migration of Northern America never occurs)
Would Migration to Liberia with having fellow black folks to not being oppressed of Jim Crow and the Opportunity to Finally realize their Black culture and Build their own Country.
This "Great Return" I called it would Definitely be Supported by the Southern states for getting will of their "Black problem" and not Risking their States Demographic being Majorly black.

But back on topic, I will Jazz's and Rap would Definitely be Popular in Liberia, but in the Rest of World, probably be Written off as "Barbaric and Ungentleman Music"
How could Jim Crow trample on the popularity of jazz for mainstream American audiences, if in OTL Jazz became extremely famous during the 1920s, just during the height of segregation and the rise of the Second Ku Ku Klan? It's not like civil rights made much progress under Wilson, and unlike what people think the 1920s were no more socially conservative than the 1900s.

View attachment 725760
A crowd gathers in Accra, Gold Coast to celebrate the result of the region's independence referendum on August 16, 2020.

Until 2020 the Gold Coast maintained its colonial status, being governed directly by a High Commissioner chosen by Westmister, being together with Gambia and Sierra Leone the last British colonies in mainland Africa, during the 2000s and 2010s the population began to demand at least end of colonial status and the creation of an independent dominion under the British crown.
In December 2019 the parliament of the Imperial Federation approved a referendum for the independence of the region, to which the options were as follows:

• Creation of a new independent state called Dominion of Gold Coast (85%)
  • Maintain British Crown Colony Status ( 12%)
  • Full independence from Great Britain and withdrawal from the Imperial Federation (3%)

The population voted overwhelmingly for independence and on October 1, 2020 the new Dominion of Gold Coast was officially created receiving 6 seats in the parliament of the Imperial Federation[1]

[1] Each nation receives one seat for every 5 million inhabitants)
One tradeoff without the world wars is very much later independence for European colonies in Africa and Asia.

Percentage of Europeans in Africa
IMG_20220313_130306.jpg
African Countries with White Population greater than 50%
French Algeria (82%)
Italian Libya (75%)
Germany Namibia (63%)
African Countries with White Population between 20.1% and 50%
Union of South Africa (26%)
Spanish Sahara (26%)
Kilimanjaro-Hohenzollern (23%)
Commonwelth of Kenya (23%)
Portuguese Angola (22%)
African Countries with White Population between 7.1% and 20%
Italian Eritrea (16%)
French Djbouti (13 %)
Kingdom of Tunisia (11%)
Commonwelth of Southern Rhodesia (11%)
Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland (8%)
African Countries with White Population between 1.1% and 7%
Portuguese Angola (7%)
Confederation of French Africa ( 2%)
African Countries with a White Population of 1% or less
Kingdom of Merina
Italian Somalia
Kamerun Union
Dominion of Gold Coast
Germany Togoland
Spanish Guinea
Gambia Colony and Protectorate
Portuguese Cape Verde
Portuguese Guinea

Last edited:
Kirche_denkmal_nam.jpg

Reiterdenkmal in Windhoek, capital of German Namibia, while Kilimanjaro-Hohenzollern and Kamerun secured their independence during the 80s, the German Empire continues to rule Namibia, Togoland and German New Guinea. Namibia, in particular, is home to a large number of German settlers and expatriates, and is one of the African countries with White majority.

Last edited:
1024px-Little_Rock_integration_protest.jpg

Demonstrations against desegregation policies imposed by President Frederick G.Smith, Philadelphia, 1974
President Smith had promised to end racial segregation once and for all during his 1972 presidential campaign, and from 1973 he began a strong desegregation campaign that would culminate in the passage of the Civil Rights Act in 1976, and the banning of of racial segregation