An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

"Republic" is basically a slur in Rhomania. Genoa and especially Venice, two states who held the Romans down for centuries were Republics. Just like free trade is anathema to all good and proper Romans so to is any hint of republicanism above the local level. One of the past updates mentioned village/city councils but that's probably as far as Rhomania will go to have any true republicanism as we know it OTL.
There is any number of Greek terms that you can use alternatively to the Venetian and Genoese systems that will not get an instinctive bad reaction.

I think the romans should consider investing massively in the agricultural sector of the empire with more swamp draining, introducing more crops, crop rotation, improving crops, better tools and so forth.
The reason is now with russia United there a possibility of the russians using the crop exports to the empire as a means of political influence and so forth after all is not the first time that russia marched on rome. And of course now with the little ice age coming it would make sense to invest in agriculture...well of course the romans are not going to know the reason behind the falling agricultural production but the could improve as Much as possible
Swamp draining isn't going to be overmuch help for the Romans, because there just aren't as many swamps. I'm not super well-versed in the geography of the region but I'd expect the only major swamplands to be along the Danube.

With their somewhat dry Mediterranean climate irrigation projects are going to be more valuable than draining wetlands.

Swamp draining isn't going to be overmuch help for the Romans, because there just aren't as many swamps. I'm not super well-versed in the geography of the region but I'd expect the only major swamplands to be along the Danube.

With their somewhat dry Mediterranean climate irrigation projects are going to be more valuable than draining wetlands.
In the 1920s Greece had drained about 3,000 square km in Macedonia, including lake Giannitsa. There is no technical reason the drainage can't be done at this time. 3,000 square km is about 8.5% of the total land area of the region and something like 75,000 farms at 10 acres per farm, a large land allowance by European standards.. Given that this in OTL Ottoman times was a malarial swamp near Thessaloniki the advantages of draining go way beyond the additional land...

I'm sure plenty could be done with 20/20 hindsight. For example, there was an extensive discussion on New world crops that could help a lot). There was also a great timeline here (Eddard the Great, ASOIAF story) that went into great detail in regard to possible improvements to economy in this specific era (with Prussia and Netherlands as real life examples).

The problem is, are there drivers for it? And if they aren't likely or pushed by in-continuum reasons, does Basileus want to steer story in that direction? Some drivers are just dumb luck (or here authors fiat), like a good ruler.

Perhaps, but I think Russia and Rhomania will have some major differences if both adopt constitutional monarchies, due to their differing cultures and circumstances. Russia might lean towards a more democratic model where individual peoples and states enjoy autonomy and freedom under the Tsar (how ironic...) like in the OTL West while the Romans will become more authoritarian/centralized with a much stronger Basileus (like the OTL German Empire) out of a prevailing fear for rampant liberal elements in the Empire.
Another thing to consider is that Rhomania is far more militarized, bureaucratic and centralised than Russia is. Additionally, Russia ITTL developed around Novgorodian ideals of republicanism and trade rather than the absolutist, Mongol influenced Moscow. That changes so much culturally, as both nations have very different cultures that led to different government types.

So, with substantial amount of Japanese convert to Orthodox in 17th century.

How does anime look like in their 21st century?

And how much does Roman have obsession with dinosaurs in 21st century, if their chocolate commercial regarded as weird because it will always involved with dinosaurs and guns?

Last edited:
And so my true evil plan is finally revealed, not a Roman-wank, but an Orthodox wank and Russia wank! Mwaha, mwahahahaha!!!

Amazing update, although I was a little bit dissapointed by Moscow being the capital, would've liked something more original for a change. Oh well, at least they are democratic!

Fair enough, but if going for maximum irony might as well go all the way.

Remind me again, why is Moscow a small, non-important city in TTL?

Something…something…butterflies. ITTL Pronsk won out over Ryazan in their historical rivalry, which went Ryazan’s way IOTL. So Pronsk might have then taken over Moscow’s role, but with a more powerful and distant Novgorod that could thus be a greater influence on Russia.

What do the Russians call the HRE and the Triune Emperor?

Also appreciate that the Laskaris are now back on a throne with seemingly unlimited potential, whilst the Romans are very much capped in expansion avenues (aside from their colonies).

Good question that I did not give any thought to beforehand. I figure in the foreign-language version of any treaties, they say ‘Emperor’, but in the Russian version it’s ‘Grand Prince’.

Well, it's not the first Tsar.
The title was already used by the Bulgarians with Simeon the Great as first Tsar almost 800 years ago.

True, but the Russians (to my knowledge) didn’t recognize the Bulgarian monarch as Tsar, just the Byzantine Emperor and the Mongol Khans before the Muscovite princes took the title themselves (and after marrying into the Palaiologos family too).

Well that kinda ominous

Don’t worry about that. Nothing sinister intended.

"Republic" is basically a slur in Rhomania. Genoa and especially Venice, two states who held the Romans down for centuries were Republics. Just like free trade is anathema to all good and proper Romans so to is any hint of republicanism above the local level. One of the past updates mentioned village/city councils but that's probably as far as Rhomania will go to have any true republicanism as we know it OTL.

There is any number of Greek terms that you can use alternatively to the Venetian and Genoese systems that will not get an instinctive bad reaction.

See Lascaris’s comment. The key is marketing. Find some ancient Greek term with some historical heft and call it that to avoid the ideological baggage. Might work, might not, but that's possible. Free trade is harder because it's a lot more difficult to call it something else and successfully pretend it's something else; it's rather obvious.

And how much does Roman have obsession with dinosaurs in 21st century, if their chocolate commercial regarded as weird because it will always involved with dinosaurs and guns?

Can’t answer these questions. Don’t know enough about OTL anime to speak about TTL anime. As for dinosaurs, I can’t think of a way to quantify that. Let’s just say that the dinosaur candles my Mom uses for my sister’s and my birthday cakes are fairly common.

Roman-Russian influences: Obviously reserve the right to change my mind, but it will likely be like the current Russian arrangement now. Both sides will be willing to recognize and adopt good ideas of the other, but absolutely recognizing that they are both different societies with different customs and goals and values and a one-size-fits-all-model is not even remotely practical.

Roman agriculture and swampland: I’m not going to comment on that here. For the beginning of the ‘Rhomania in the Little Ice Age’ I’m planning a good bit of Roman social history, with these topics being quite important, so I’d be repeating myself.

pls don't ban me

Monthly Donor
True, but the Russians (to my knowledge) didn’t recognize the Bulgarian monarch as Tsar, just the Byzantine Emperor and the Mongol Khans before the Muscovite princes took the title themselves (and after marrying into the Palaiologos family too).
That's for OTL. and they could do it mainly because there wasn't anymore a legitimate Roman Empire to have a say in the argument.
in this (wonderful) TL despite the rebellions and the bad ending the bulgarians had, the Rhomanoi will recognize them as the first tsars. and i assume the majority of Europe and then world would follow.

pls don't ban me

Monthly Donor

well...

probably we won't have all the gods stuff references.
for example Inuyasha might change with demons and saints,
Death note will have some devil from hell instead of Ryuk,

and most likely there won't be the huge amount of Hentai there is in OTL. Ecchi anime might not even exist. we might have instead Religious anime. something like " the adventures of the pope" or religious drama.( whatever that is)

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
well...

and most likely there won't be the huge amount of Hentai there is in OTL. Ecchi anime might not even exist. we might have instead Religious anime. something like " the adventures of the pope" or religious drama.( whatever that is)
I mean, if animation and graphic novels are still likely to pull from all over, especially the more fantasy variety, no reason for them not to pull ancient Greek, Mesopotamian, Egyptian, and Japanese deities. That last bit also could go either way, Japan is pretty prudish as whole but had large allowances for freedom of printing and Rhomania has already been shown to have a more OTL French outlook on sexuality and marriage.

Last edited:

pls don't ban me

Monthly Donor
I mean, if animation and graphic novels still likely to pull from all over, especially the more fantasy variety, no reason for them not to pull ancient Greek, Mesopotamian, Egyptian, and Japanese deities. That last bit also could go either way, Japan is pretty prudish as whole but had large allowances for freedom of printing and Rhomania has already been shown to have a more OTL French outlook on sexuality and marriage.
stuff like the FATE animes won't change much.
we might see more christian related characters and less genderswaps. ( there will be probably Andreas Niketas as the strongest champ etc.)

we might see more christian related characters and less genderswaps. ( there will be probably Andreas Niketas as the strongest champ etc.)
Is...is Sack of Venice!Andreas I going to get the shoulder loli?
You can't make him Berskerer without the character "cheating" and breaking the summoning ritual, they lose to foreigners. Niketas never lost.
I'm guessing we get Basil II as either Lancer or Assassin here. (Buster NP Bulgaroctonos does 250/275/300/325/350% damage, inflicts Stun for 3 turns, cleans buffs, raises team defense by 20/25/30/35/40%)

Imagine what happens to High School D x. D. Imagine.
The Emperor is gonna hire an Inquisitor or three

Who to says that japan is going to be the one to create anime and manga in this world, it might be some other nation.

Do you guys think that this story got somewhat out of hand? While it is still very well written, I’ve talked to some folks who say that the story is probably farther along than it should be and the death and post-mortem legacy of Andreas Niketas, who was basically the main character, should have been the stopping point.

Do you guys think that this story got somewhat out of hand? While it is still very well written, I’ve talked to some folks who say that the story is probably farther along than it should be and the death and post-mortem legacy of Andreas Niketas, who was basically the main character, should have been the stopping point.
not really, since the stories is about the roman empire, so even though sometimes there is going to be character that have a deep backstories like Andreas Niketas, they would be just a secondary character for the main character which i believed is the roman empire

not really, since the stories is about the roman empire, so even though sometimes there is going to be character that have a deep backstories like Andreas Niketas, they would be just a secondary character for the main character which i believed is the roman empire
Emperors come and Emperors go - Rome endures.

What? This is the best part (for me).

Level of detail, plausibility and realism of this part is frankly way off from day of Andreas Niketas. True, his time were more spectacular and more Holywood-like, but those stories (especially War for Asia) also probably had a bit to much troops to be logistically possible.