Moonlight in a Jar: An Al-Andalus Timeline

Considering we earlier discussed the ideas of a rival Caliphate to the Bataid puppet Caliphate and the Ummayad one and the Bataids merging the Emperor and the Caliph, a lasting Irbisid Khaganate (or should I say Irbisid Shahdom, considering they'd probably need to go native to become a lasting state) or the Nimannis might be a focal point for Eastern Sunni opposition to the Bataids merging the Emperor and Caliph into a single office/title.
Perhaps, since the Eastern Sunni world could be split between a Hellenic world and a Persianate world thanks to the rise of the Roman Empire and its dominant role in Islam, but the Irbisids, if they survive, are more likely to be the ones that will oppose the Romans not just politically but also religiously (they will probably just support an Abbasid pretender if need be), in my opinion.

I'm here, honest. I was managing an election campaign. It made time hard to come by.
No worries! Still glad that the TL is still active.

But I wonder about what sort of politics are taking place in Heaven? :openedeyewink:
(obvious nod to Canada being Heavenland ITTL)

Is the genocide and destruction driven by religion to spread islam, or while it be viewed more by dangers of capitalism drive for gold and spice? how will the future states recognise and deal with? mexio only now apologised for Spanish conquest, but reddit told me thats mostly just a grap for political support. So would it be a serious issue?
It's probably both, but more on the latter. Note that Andalusi colonization wasn't necessarily motivated by the desire to spread Islam (though they certainly did spread it by way of Sufi mystics and Maliki scholars) but more along the lines of setting up cash crop plantations and trade routes with established Algarvian states, although it still caused many atrocities against the natives from individuals like Hasan the Majestic and Mahmud ibn Asafu due to the nature of their conquest and eventual exploitation of the indigenous populace.

Here, it could be the same but on a much larger scale thanks to the establishment of the Asmarid colonies and the rise of the Otomi Empire as the demand for cash crops like sugar, vanilla, coffee, chocolate, and etc. are going to grow over the decades (not to mention metals like gold and silver for coinage or trade with Wu China). The Asmarid Hajib and the Otomi Emirs are in command of far greater capital for future expeditions or establishment of colonial settlements compared to their counterparts two centuries before. Of course, it will be a very bad thing for the Native population who are already struggling with Old World diseases.

Not entirely sure how the discourse will play out in modern MiaJ but there are activists that actively call out on the atrocities of people like Hasan (and maybe the Andalusi people as a whole) so it's definitely a serious issue, but perhaps it is more serious than OTL because I think there could be a considerably large group of people that might actually defend colonization and the spread of Islam, as they might see Andalusi colonization as a civilizing force and brought many advantages to the Native Algarvian populace. It's going to be a very vicious controversy indeed.

Last edited:
I've recently come across the Wanggongchang Explosion, likely a meteorite airburst exploding over Beijing, China in 1626, and killing over 20,000 people. It was a psychological shock and forced the Tianqi Emperor to pay a huge amount of gold to show his repentance for the sins of his government, which incurred the wrath of Heaven this way. The payment caused a serious strain on the Ming Imperial treasury, eventually leading to the Manchu takeover.

Since meteors are not affected by actions in alternate timelines, it'd be interesting to see what effect this event would have on the Great Wu.

I've recently come across the Wanggongchang Explosion, likely a meteorite airburst exploding over Beijing, China in 1626, and killing over 20,000 people. It was a psychological shock and forced the Tianqi Emperor to pay a huge amount of gold to show his repentance for the sins of his government, which incurred the wrath of Heaven this way. The payment caused a serious strain on the Ming Imperial treasury, eventually leading to the Manchu takeover.

Since meteors are not affected by actions in alternate timelines, it'd be interesting to see what effect this event would have on the Great Wu.
Looking over the Wikiwand article, historians aren't sure on whether the explosion was due to a meteoric airburst or something else. Even if it was, the event might be significantly less magnified since ITTL Beijing would probably be far less populated compared to a city like Guangzhou or Suzhou, since it's not the capital of any Han Chinese dynasty ITTL.

But if we're talking about widespread natural disasters that is going to affect the Wu dynasty's control over Heaven, I think this is a good bet:
Also known as the deadliest earthquake in history.

Speaking of Beijing, what sort of name does it have ITTL since it's not the capital? I'm thinking that it could be Beiping ("Northern Peace") since it might be the northernmost city to the Grand Canal and it's likely the Wu would want to replace the former name of the city, which is likely to be Nanjing ("Southern Capital") or Yanjing from the Jurchens and the Khitans.

Last edited:
Speaking of Beijing, what sort of name does it have ITTL since it's not the capital? I'm thinking that it could be Beiping ("Northern Peace") since it might be the northernmost city to the Grand Canal and it's likely the Wu would want to replace the former name of the city, which is likely to be Nanjing ("Southern Capital") or Yanjing from the Jurchens and the Khitans.
Beijiang/Pekiang (北疆), given its location near the Great Wall.

Wasn't the Grand Canal extended to Beijing mainly because it was a capital? Wouldn't it stop at Tianjin on the Hai River in TTL?

Wasn't the Grand Canal extended to Beijing mainly because it was a capital? Wouldn't it stop at Tianjin on the Hai River in TTL?
You're right on that front. I wasn't even aware that they extended the Grand Canal to Beijing during the Yuan/Ming dynasty. In that case, it's unlikely that they would extend it to ITTL Beijing since the core of China lies within the Wu region.

Still, I think Beiping or Beijiang would be excellent names for the city in MiaJ.

ACT IX Part XIV: The Governing Fatwa
On summer's breath, to me you came
Like butterflies in...

"Oh, bother," Sanjula groused as she scowled at the paper. Well, continued to scowl. She'd been trying all afternoon to get a poem going, but even the first couple of sentences seemed lodged up somewhere in her mind. Writing should've come easier than this.

It was harder these days. There was a lot on her mind.

"Trouble?" Moving up at the desk behind her, Uthman laid a gentle hand on her shoulder.

She sighed, brushing back a few locks of raven-black hair with one hand before bringing her fingers to rest on the back of his. "Always," she murmured. "I keep thinking about it. What happened."

"With Tariq?"

Nodding, she looked off towards the window. Uthman's house was well outside the city, overlooking picturesque farmland splayed out in a field of emerald beneath the sun, the frosted glass window panes swung open to let the air in. The warmth of the day was little comfort. The bruises from her ordeal under the lash had passed with time, but something else had not.

The anger - the frustration. The sheer fury at having been thrown beneath the horse's hooves by a man she'd spurned, at being used as an example by a backwards fool of a Hajib.

"Sometimes I wonder how you don't think about him all the time, love," Sanjula mused as she turned in her seat to rest her head on Uthman's shoulder; he drew his arms loosely around her as if on automatic, cradling her against him. "After what he did. Knowing that he killed your father and brother."

"I do think about him all the time, actually." Uthman closed his eyes and lowered his cheek to hers. His dark beard brushed against her forehead and temple. "But if I let myself be driven mad by what a munafiq he truly is, I would let him defeat me too."

With a sigh, she squeezed her eyes closed and set her jaw, then released them. For all that Tariq had made her life miserable, he'd done more to Uthman and his family. She hadn't known until she met him how sudden Abd ar-Rahim's death had been - died while preparing for his breakfast after taking a drink of his morning tea, found blackened in the face and stiffened from poison. That Shurayh died so suddenly afterwards was no coincidence, and it left two possibilities: That Tariq arranged the murders of his uncle and cousin, or that he benefited from the support of murderers.

There was little distinction to her. Both of them made the man even more of a monster. A sterling example of the rank hypocrisy of the Usulids. Performatively pious old men willing to kill and hurt to uphold words put in the Prophet's mouth long after His passing - men more concerned with protecting the hurt feelings of crusty old scribes than in caring for God's people.

She'd never been a person of politics. But Sanjula wasn't accustomed to being treated like a pawn in a game of idiots. And she wasn't accustomed to letting those who wronged her walk away unscorned.

"My love," she murmured, lifting deep hazel eyes to meet Uthman's. "I want to get him. Knock him off his high seat."

Uthman pressed his lips together before nodding gravely. "So do I."

~

Excerpt: The People's Faith: A History of Modern Islam - Abu Najib ibn Abd al-Aziz al-Mufaji, AD 2007

SANJULA'S RESPONSE

In Sanjula bint Hamdan, hajib Tariq had earned himself a surprisingly powerful enemy.

In the wake of her public flogging in 1539, Sanjula, now aligned with Tariq's cousin Uthman ibn Abd ar-Rahim, transitioned from an active socialite to a political force far more tangible in her impact than virtually any other Andalusian woman of her time. By late 1540, she had married Uthman, but their relationship appears to have been significantly more coequal than was typical for the period. Her surviving poetry, while not considered among the most literarily fluent or skillful examples of period poetry, is remarkable in its focus on romance from the point of view of a willful woman - but it was her political activities that stirred controversy at court.

Her marriage to Uthman gave Sanjula somewhat greater freedom of movement among the Asmarid ruling class, and contemporary writings suggest she socialized frequently with the wives and daughters of key amirs and walis as well as leaders on the Majlis. Uthman, for his part, stood aloof from the political maneuvering, seemingly content to remain out of the fray of Sanjula's efforts to sway public opinion against Tariq.

The balance of power between Tariq, the Majlis and his new rivals stood on foundations of assumed legitimacy that made open challenges to either difficult. Dismissing the Majlis may have been feasible, but Tariq's lack of popularity - and the representative nature of his office, established as an assumption generations prior and accepted mainly by convention, not law - made an open move to dismiss the voices of the ummah risky. With neither side willing to raise the stakes, political debates between the Majlis members and the beleaguered Hajib grew increasingly rancorous as members of the council swung steadily into the anti-Tariq camp.

The most powerful backers of Tariq, however, stood apart from the Majlis. The aging Caliph Al-Musta'sim held views largely consistent with the Usulid viewpoint, and while his deteriorating mental health and frequent bouts of dementia rendered him a relatively ineffective force in terms of day-to-day politics, the appearance of Caliphal sanction was nevertheless vital. While Al-Musta'sim apparently valued the concept of the Majlis as a means to hear from the populace, his personal views were eminently traditional. The more effective backers were military men: Izemrasen ibn Ghanim al-Masmudi controlled a significant bloc of Masmuda Berbers in the Maghreb and contributed much to Asmarid military efforts, while Hunayn ibn Karabo al-Sudani, the head of the elite Black Guard, had few strong political opinions but tended to go along loyally with the will of the Caliph.

Of the two military backers, Hunayn held the most immediate threat, but Izemrasen's interests were the most divergent in real terms. The Masmuda largely occupied territories in the High Atlas centred on the old city of Aghmat, and while they controlled some ocean ports, they largely detested the "coastal merchants" upon whose activities Asmarid prosperity rested in those days. Discussions in the Majlis increasingly turned towards matters of trade and taxation, whether due to Sanjula and Uthman's prodding or due to simple tensions between Izemrasen's economic interests and those of the bulk of the Majlis members. While the Masmuda did have supporters on the council who succeeded in winning investments of dinars from Tariq, fuelling investments in new mosques and roads around Aghmat, the diversion of public funds inland annoyed much of the rest of the council.

The efforts of the conspirators in the years following Sanjula's public flogging mainly focused on trying to drive a wedge between Izemrasen and Tariq. However, in late 1540 those efforts were diverted when Caliph Al-Musta'sim suffered a seizure and withdrew into incapacity. With the Caliph's death seeming inevitable, Sanjula and Uthman swung their focus to his potential successor.

The likeliest candidate to replace Al-Musta'sim was his second son, the future Caliph Al-Adid. While he sympathized in some respects with the Usulids, Al-Adid was somewhat more moderate in his personal beliefs: He favoured more conservative styles of personal behaviour and dress while still valuing scientific pursuits. While not particularly loved by either the Ghimarid or Usulid camps, he stood as a likely compromise candidate for an office that had traditionally ceased to matter beyond the ceremonial.

That ceremonial role would change dramatically in the spring of 1541. The actual course of events is unclear, but sources from the time suggest that Al-Adid had been in conversations with Uthman and Sanjula, meeting with the two frequently enough to alarm Tariq and his backers. Some sources suggest Tariq sought to push Al-Adid aside and replace him, while others state that he was engaged in his own discussions with Al-Adid in the hopes of winning his political support. Nevertheless, the events of April 27, 1541 would surprise the Asmarid political world.

That evening, two eunuchs were intercepted by members of the Black Guard while trying to break into Al-Adid's home with poisoned knives. The assassins were killed in a short and one-sided fight, but Hunayn, the leader of the Black Guard, came forward to reveal he had been tipped off by a slave girl in Tariq's house that Al-Adid was to be murdered. Al-Adid himself strenuously denied knowledge of the attempt and ordered an investigation, but the incident drew loud protests from the Majlis: The perception was that Tariq had ordered the Caliph's son and heir apparent killed. Assassinations were hardly unheard of, but to target the son of the religious leader of western Islam was seen as a grotesque affront to the faith.

Debate over the appropriate course of action continued through the inconclusive investigation, but by early June, Al-Musta'sim had died, leaving Al-Adid to assume the Caliphate. By month's end, the new Caliph took an unprecedented action: He ordered Tariq to be dismissed as Hajib.

Al-Adid's dismissal was utterly shocking to an Islamic world accustomed to the Umayyads acting for generations as passive kingmakers at best and puppets of the Hajibs at the more conventional. Yet the move was fully justified by the flimsy assumptions upon which the Hajib's power rested. The Hajib was always positioned not as the sole ruler, but as the Umayyads' man in charge of the Asmarid realm, serving with the presumed sanction of the Commander of the Faithful. In theory, the Caliph had every right to dismiss the Hajib at any time - and his decision carried all the more weight by the movement of the Black Guard solidly out of Tariq's corner and into Al-Adid's. The Black Guard's loyalty was institutional, and while Tariq had benefited from it before, the attempt against Al-Adid had ensured that Hunayn would rest entirely on the side of the Caliphal power.

Tariq at first attempted to declare his dismissal a fraudulent decree written up by his enemies, sending word to Izemrasen to support him. He found few others willing to back him, particularly as printing presses began to churn out copies of Al-Adid's announcement. Scribes took time to write up decrees en masse; the holders of the presses could circulate documents easily and quickly, ensuring that public sentiment turned towards awareness that Tariq's power had been firmly checked. The beleaguered Hajib held out for a few weeks before finally agreeing in mid-July to withdraw from power.

To the surprise of most, Al-Adid did not rush to appoint a new Hajib. He simply reconvened the Majlis and moved into session with them to produce a landmark document: The Governing Fatwa.

The Governing Fatwa codified for the first time a formal power structure in the Asmarid realm. While affirming the centrality of the Umayyad Caliph as supreme authority and holder of the final say in religious affairs, the Fatwa formalized the existence of two institutions: The Hajib as the Caliph's chosen head of government and civil administrator, exercising temporal power to execute the law, and the Majlis ash-Shura, the Shura Council. The Hajib in particular was specified to be chosen by the Caliph and dismissed by the same in the event of gross breaches of authority or of Sharia, and charged with authority over matters of taxation, warfare, economics and other temporal management of the realm. Supreme spiritual authority continued to reside with the Caliph.

It was the formalization of the Majlis ash-Shura that would prove most consequential. The Governing Fatwa specified that the Majlis was to be assembled for a certain number of days each year, to sit in session to advise the Hajib. It called for a set number of representatives from each wilayah of the Asmarid empire and from each dhimmi community to make up the council. Perhaps most importantly, it empowered the Majlis to make recommendations to the Caliph directly on whom from the extended Asmarid line to appoint as the next Hajib. Effectively Al-Adid had made a play to take the office out of the hands of the usual method of choosing a Hajib - heredity punctuated by periodic bursts of assassination - in the hopes of ensuring a smoother succession.

It was far less surprising when the Majlis advised Al-Adid to appoint Uthman as his Hajib. The appointment was quickly formalized, all but finalizing Sanjula's revenge and vindicating her efforts in winning political support from both the Majlis and from Al-Adid himself. Historians largely view the Governing Fatwa as not merely a turning point in governance, but as the culmination of extensive backroom dealmaking between Sanjula, Uthman, Al-Adid and key members of the proto-Majlis to get rid of a hated Hajib.

The Fatwa, however, was far from the end of things. A furious Tariq withdrew to Aghmat, where he was received warmly by a protesting Izemrasen. While a military showdown against the powerful Black Guard and the merchant houses would have been unthinkable, Izemrasen effectively withdrew behind the bounds of Masmuda territory, withholding taxes to the Caliphal coffers and continuing to acknowledge Tariq as the rightful Hajib.

The presence of his deposed relative as a noisy parallel power in the High Atlas would be one of many thorns in the side of Uthman as he and Sanjula settled in. The dealmaking to depose his father's alleged killer left him in a predicament: The office of Hajib was more constrained than it had been in many years, with an empowered Majlis entitled to weigh in and an empowered Caliph still disagreeing with the Ghimarids on fundamental social issues. Further, angry Usulids continued to seethe in the broader public, and while the Ghimarids had powerful tools at their disposal to sway public opinion, riots broke out in a few cities upon Uthman's ascendance. While these would be put down, Uthman nevertheless came to power weakened and faced with considerable internal political and social turmoil.

SUMMARY:
1540: Uthman ibn Abd ar-Rahim marries Sanjula bint Hamdan amidst significant efforts on their part to undermine the Usulid Hajib Tariq.
1541: Following an attempt to assassinate Al-Adid, Hajib Tariq's position is weakened. Caliph Al-Musta'sim's death brings Al-Adid to power, and he promptly dismisses Tariq and issues the Governing Fatwa, the first document formalizing the Asmarid power structure and codifying the existence of the Hajib and the Majlis ash-Shura. At the advice of the Majlis, Uthman is appointed Al-Adid's Hajib, completing Sanjula's revenge on Tariq, who flees to Aghmat.

Looks like a modern form of government is developing with the Caliph as Head of State and the Hajib as Head of Government, wonder if the Majlis develops into government ministers or Parliament, probably parliament given the whole 'get representatives of every state and minority groups' aspect.

Looks like a modern form of government is developing with the Caliph as Head of State and the Hajib as Head of Government, wonder if the Majlis develops into government ministers or Parliament, probably parliament given the whole 'get representatives of every state and minority groups' aspect.
This is the first real codification of a state/government split, but the one thing that'll be interesting is that, as of now, there's no church-and-state split - the authority of the state is devolved authority from the Caliph. The system of law is still based in Islam and the authority of government is still rooted in Sharia. The Majlis ash-Shura certainly seems to have the basic seeds of potential Parliamentary functioning, someday, but it won't be a secular government along the lines we sometimes think of, considering that even dhimmi communities would have their positions among the ummah codified through the lens of Sharia.

There's certainly a lot of room within Islamic thought for a representative government system to emerge.

I'd be interested to see factions that push for a splintered Majlis- Islamic government otl tended to mean self government by and large for minorities, and theocracies for Christians, so if you're giving a majority Muslim Majlis the power to legislate over dhimmi communities, that's less autonomy than they would be used to. Perhaps we'll see pushes for a separate Christian Majlis that will maintain the autonomy of the Catholic church? Or perhaps instead of each delegates vote being equal we might see things like all Christians getting fewer, shared votes, like weaker fiefs in otl HRE, and a move towards corpora like in Otl HRE, where the Protestant and Catholic corpora could meet as separate reichstags on issues that concern them individually, which would allow the Christians to maintain their relative autonomy.

Otls voting as corpora system as a side note was pretty unique and I'd be interested in seeing quirks like that emerge- electors, princes and imperial cities all discussed each issue as separate groups, periodically consulting each other, and you weren't allowed to simply vote yes or no, you had to voice a considered opinion. The cities were disadvantaged by the fact that the princes and electors only consulted them once they'd already agreed amongst themselves, which could be mirrored here as well if we get a situation where the Christian corpus is only consulted when the Muslim corpora have come to a rough consensus?

I'd be interested in seeing whether there'd be anything mirroring a division into estates to better represent sectors of society- it would fit with general Perso-Islamic sociology of otl and has plenty of inspiration from up north? These overmighty merchant houses I can definitely see walking out and meeting separately if they're not getting their way in the Majlis as a whole, and tbh so could the Ulemma.

Last edited:
On summer's breath, to me you came
Like butterflies in...

"Oh, bother," Sanjula groused as she scowled at the paper. Well, continued to scowl. She'd been trying all afternoon to get a poem going, but even the first couple of sentences seemed lodged up somewhere in her mind. Writing should've come easier than this.

It was harder these days. There was a lot on her mind.

"Trouble?" Moving up at the desk behind her, Uthman laid a gentle hand on her shoulder.

She sighed, brushing back a few locks of raven-black hair with one hand before bringing her fingers to rest on the back of his. "Always," she murmured. "I keep thinking about it. What happened."

"With Tariq?"

Nodding, she looked off towards the window. Uthman's house was well outside the city, overlooking picturesque farmland splayed out in a field of emerald beneath the sun, the frosted glass window panes swung open to let the air in. The warmth of the day was little comfort. The bruises from her ordeal under the lash had passed with time, but something else had not.

The anger - the frustration. The sheer fury at having been thrown beneath the horse's hooves by a man she'd spurned, at being used as an example by a backwards fool of a Hajib.

"Sometimes I wonder how you don't think about him all the time, love," Sanjula mused as she turned in her seat to rest her head on Uthman's shoulder; he drew his arms loosely around her as if on automatic, cradling her against him. "After what he did. Knowing that he killed your father and brother."

"I do think about him all the time, actually." Uthman closed his eyes and lowered his cheek to hers. His dark beard brushed against her forehead and temple. "But if I let myself be driven mad by what a munafiq he truly is, I would let him defeat me too."

With a sigh, she squeezed her eyes closed and set her jaw, then released them. For all that Tariq had made her life miserable, he'd done more to Uthman and his family. She hadn't known until she met him how sudden Abd ar-Rahim's death had been - died while preparing for his breakfast after taking a drink of his morning tea, found blackened in the face and stiffened from poison. That Shurayh died so suddenly afterwards was no coincidence, and it left two possibilities: That Tariq arranged the murders of his uncle and cousin, or that he benefited from the support of murderers.

There was little distinction to her. Both of them made the man even more of a monster. A sterling example of the rank hypocrisy of the Usulids. Performatively pious old men willing to kill and hurt to uphold words put in the Prophet's mouth long after His passing - men more concerned with protecting the hurt feelings of crusty old scribes than in caring for God's people.

She'd never been a person of politics. But Sanjula wasn't accustomed to being treated like a pawn in a game of idiots. And she wasn't accustomed to letting those who wronged her walk away unscorned.

"My love," she murmured, lifting deep hazel eyes to meet Uthman's. "I want to get him. Knock him off his high seat."

Uthman pressed his lips together before nodding gravely. "So do I."

~

Excerpt: The People's Faith: A History of Modern Islam - Abu Najib ibn Abd al-Aziz al-Mufaji, AD 2007

SANJULA'S RESPONSE

In Sanjula bint Hamdan, hajib Tariq had earned himself a surprisingly powerful enemy.

In the wake of her public flogging in 1539, Sanjula, now aligned with Tariq's cousin Uthman ibn Abd ar-Rahim, transitioned from an active socialite to a political force far more tangible in her impact than virtually any other Andalusian woman of her time. By late 1540, she had married Uthman, but their relationship appears to have been significantly more coequal than was typical for the period. Her surviving poetry, while not considered among the most literarily fluent or skillful examples of period poetry, is remarkable in its focus on romance from the point of view of a willful woman - but it was her political activities that stirred controversy at court.

Her marriage to Uthman gave Sanjula somewhat greater freedom of movement among the Asmarid ruling class, and contemporary writings suggest she socialized frequently with the wives and daughters of key amirs and walis as well as leaders on the Majlis. Uthman, for his part, stood aloof from the political maneuvering, seemingly content to remain out of the fray of Sanjula's efforts to sway public opinion against Tariq.

The balance of power between Tariq, the Majlis and his new rivals stood on foundations of assumed legitimacy that made open challenges to either difficult. Dismissing the Majlis may have been feasible, but Tariq's lack of popularity - and the representative nature of his office, established as an assumption generations prior and accepted mainly by convention, not law - made an open move to dismiss the voices of the ummah risky. With neither side willing to raise the stakes, political debates between the Majlis members and the beleaguered Hajib grew increasingly rancorous as members of the council swung steadily into the anti-Tariq camp.

The most powerful backers of Tariq, however, stood apart from the Majlis. The aging Caliph Al-Musta'sim held views largely consistent with the Usulid viewpoint, and while his deteriorating mental health and frequent bouts of dementia rendered him a relatively ineffective force in terms of day-to-day politics, the appearance of Caliphal sanction was nevertheless vital. While Al-Musta'sim apparently valued the concept of the Majlis as a means to hear from the populace, his personal views were eminently traditional. The more effective backers were military men: Izemrasen ibn Ghanim al-Masmudi controlled a significant bloc of Masmuda Berbers in the Maghreb and contributed much to Asmarid military efforts, while Hunayn ibn Karabo al-Sudani, the head of the elite Black Guard, had few strong political opinions but tended to go along loyally with the will of the Caliph.

Of the two military backers, Hunayn held the most immediate threat, but Izemrasen's interests were the most divergent in real terms. The Masmuda largely occupied territories in the High Atlas centred on the old city of Aghmat, and while they controlled some ocean ports, they largely detested the "coastal merchants" upon whose activities Asmarid prosperity rested in those days. Discussions in the Majlis increasingly turned towards matters of trade and taxation, whether due to Sanjula and Uthman's prodding or due to simple tensions between Izemrasen's economic interests and those of the bulk of the Majlis members. While the Masmuda did have supporters on the council who succeeded in winning investments of dinars from Tariq, fuelling investments in new mosques and roads around Aghmat, the diversion of public funds inland annoyed much of the rest of the council.

The efforts of the conspirators in the years following Sanjula's public flogging mainly focused on trying to drive a wedge between Izemrasen and Tariq. However, in late 1540 those efforts were diverted when Caliph Al-Musta'sim suffered a seizure and withdrew into incapacity. With the Caliph's death seeming inevitable, Sanjula and Uthman swung their focus to his potential successor.

The likeliest candidate to replace Al-Musta'sim was his second son, the future Caliph Al-Adid. While he sympathized in some respects with the Usulids, Al-Adid was somewhat more moderate in his personal beliefs: He favoured more conservative styles of personal behaviour and dress while still valuing scientific pursuits. While not particularly loved by either the Ghimarid or Usulid camps, he stood as a likely compromise candidate for an office that had traditionally ceased to matter beyond the ceremonial.

That ceremonial role would change dramatically in the spring of 1541. The actual course of events is unclear, but sources from the time suggest that Al-Adid had been in conversations with Uthman and Sanjula, meeting with the two frequently enough to alarm Tariq and his backers. Some sources suggest Tariq sought to push Al-Adid aside and replace him, while others state that he was engaged in his own discussions with Al-Adid in the hopes of winning his political support. Nevertheless, the events of April 27, 1541 would surprise the Asmarid political world.

That evening, two eunuchs were intercepted by members of the Black Guard while trying to break into Al-Adid's home with poisoned knives. The assassins were killed in a short and one-sided fight, but Hunayn, the leader of the Black Guard, came forward to reveal he had been tipped off by a slave girl in Tariq's house that Al-Adid was to be murdered. Al-Adid himself strenuously denied knowledge of the attempt and ordered an investigation, but the incident drew loud protests from the Majlis: The perception was that Tariq had ordered the Caliph's son and heir apparent killed. Assassinations were hardly unheard of, but to target the son of the religious leader of western Islam was seen as a grotesque affront to the faith.

Debate over the appropriate course of action continued through the inconclusive investigation, but by early June, Al-Musta'sim had died, leaving Al-Adid to assume the Caliphate. By month's end, the new Caliph took an unprecedented action: He ordered Tariq to be dismissed as Hajib.

Al-Adid's dismissal was utterly shocking to an Islamic world accustomed to the Umayyads acting for generations as passive kingmakers at best and puppets of the Hajibs at the more conventional. Yet the move was fully justified by the flimsy assumptions upon which the Hajib's power rested. The Hajib was always positioned not as the sole ruler, but as the Umayyads' man in charge of the Asmarid realm, serving with the presumed sanction of the Commander of the Faithful. In theory, the Caliph had every right to dismiss the Hajib at any time - and his decision carried all the more weight by the movement of the Black Guard solidly out of Tariq's corner and into Al-Adid's. The Black Guard's loyalty was institutional, and while Tariq had benefited from it before, the attempt against Al-Adid had ensured that Hunayn would rest entirely on the side of the Caliphal power.

Tariq at first attempted to declare his dismissal a fraudulent decree written up by his enemies, sending word to Izemrasen to support him. He found few others willing to back him, particularly as printing presses began to churn out copies of Al-Adid's announcement. Scribes took time to write up decrees en masse; the holders of the presses could circulate documents easily and quickly, ensuring that public sentiment turned towards awareness that Tariq's power had been firmly checked. The beleaguered Hajib held out for a few weeks before finally agreeing in mid-July to withdraw from power.

To the surprise of most, Al-Adid did not rush to appoint a new Hajib. He simply reconvened the Majlis and moved into session with them to produce a landmark document: The Governing Fatwa.

The Governing Fatwa codified for the first time a formal power structure in the Asmarid realm. While affirming the centrality of the Umayyad Caliph as supreme authority and holder of the final say in religious affairs, the Fatwa formalized the existence of two institutions: The Hajib as the Caliph's chosen head of government and civil administrator, exercising temporal power to execute the law, and the Majlis ash-Shura, the Shura Council. The Hajib in particular was specified to be chosen by the Caliph and dismissed by the same in the event of gross breaches of authority or of Sharia, and charged with authority over matters of taxation, warfare, economics and other temporal management of the realm. Supreme spiritual authority continued to reside with the Caliph.

It was the formalization of the Majlis ash-Shura that would prove most consequential. The Governing Fatwa specified that the Majlis was to be assembled for a certain number of days each year, to sit in session to advise the Hajib. It called for a set number of representatives from each wilayah of the Asmarid empire and from each dhimmi community to make up the council. Perhaps most importantly, it empowered the Majlis to make recommendations to the Caliph directly on whom from the extended Asmarid line to appoint as the next Hajib. Effectively Al-Adid had made a play to take the office out of the hands of the usual method of choosing a Hajib - heredity punctuated by periodic bursts of assassination - in the hopes of ensuring a smoother succession.

It was far less surprising when the Majlis advised Al-Adid to appoint Uthman as his Hajib. The appointment was quickly formalized, all but finalizing Sanjula's revenge and vindicating her efforts in winning political support from both the Majlis and from Al-Adid himself. Historians largely view the Governing Fatwa as not merely a turning point in governance, but as the culmination of extensive backroom dealmaking between Sanjula, Uthman, Al-Adid and key members of the proto-Majlis to get rid of a hated Hajib.

The Fatwa, however, was far from the end of things. A furious Tariq withdrew to Aghmat, where he was received warmly by a protesting Izemrasen. While a military showdown against the powerful Black Guard and the merchant houses would have been unthinkable, Izemrasen effectively withdrew behind the bounds of Masmuda territory, withholding taxes to the Caliphal coffers and continuing to acknowledge Tariq as the rightful Hajib.

The presence of his deposed relative as a noisy parallel power in the High Atlas would be one of many thorns in the side of Uthman as he and Sanjula settled in. The dealmaking to depose his father's alleged killer left him in a predicament: The office of Hajib was more constrained than it had been in many years, with an empowered Majlis entitled to weigh in and an empowered Caliph still disagreeing with the Ghimarids on fundamental social issues. Further, angry Usulids continued to seethe in the broader public, and while the Ghimarids had powerful tools at their disposal to sway public opinion, riots broke out in a few cities upon Uthman's ascendance. While these would be put down, Uthman nevertheless came to power weakened and faced with considerable internal political and social turmoil.
I can't imagine The Logical Nots the Usulids are tying themselves in to justify opposing a caliph appointed hajib

Oh yes, Sanjula gets her revenge on Tariq and both the Hajib and the Majlis are codified by law to be part of the government thanks to a resurgent Al-Adid. A victory for a republican Al-Andalus!

I reckon Sanjula will be a very popular figure among Andalusian feminists or even part of pop culture, since her story could be adapted into a drama-filled show for a modern audience. Imagine all of the court intrigue and romance involved with Uthman and Sanjula, it's simply tantalizing.

While the Asmarids are still the ruling dynasty, their grip on power has substantially decreased since the Majlis and they are the ones determining succession instead of a purely hereditary system. It's just surprising that it didn't take a war to do that, but then again, I do love surprises...

Good to see a powerful (for the period and place) female character!
Sancha, Clairmonde, and Sanjula are the trinity of amazing female characters in MiaJ. I hope we'll get to see more, maybe even an Anglish/French queen or an Andalusi botanist?

why did the Caliph not go full own restoration he has the black guard?
Aside from Hats' comments, I think his own reservations about asserting himself over the Majlis could also play a role since his father supported the council as the representation of the Ummah. Not only would absolute Caliphal control be unpopular among the merchant houses but also among the lower classes as well, especially among the dhimmi.

Since it's been a while since the last mapdate...I hope that we'll get one soon to update ourselves on places like the Otomi, the Romans, the Japanese, and etc.

@Planet of Hats have you given any thought to doing an update on the various Native American peoples and how the asmarids and other Colonial Powers influences are slowly worming their way into the hinterland
I think that's coming. It's probably high time for a mapdate, which usually touches on stuff like that. Now that the election's over I can actually put time into that and do a big omnibus update that a bunch of things will spin from.