Six Roses, Red and White: A Tudor TL

How should I handle a rework of this timeline?

• Edit the posts on this thread

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • Start a new thread

Votes: 29 67.4%

• Total voters
you're right, i think if anything they expect the english to try and expand their lands around calais. and you're also right in that henry has a long, difficult way to go to reclaiming the english possessions in the south of france.
Henry VIII will need his Hasburgs relatives in order to hold territory France and let's not forget King Francis the first of France it also fight over Northern Italy in a ongoing conflict since Louis the 12th was on the throne.

If Henry gets the Aquitaine and hold to territory for the next two generations then the English should be able to hold the principality. Also France is a lot more diverse in this time period before the French Revolution with the regions haveing a more distinct culture.

VI: August 1512
Richmond, August 1512

Henry drummed his fingers against the arms of the chair in his audience chamber. Where was Dorset? The man had allowed England to be humiliated, and now he had the gall to be late for an audience with his king? A disgrace. The expedition to Gascony had been a complete and utter disgrace. And what was somehow even worse, Henry’s supposed ally, the King of Aragon, had sat by and watched as it all happened. King Fernando had not lifted a finger in aid to Henry’s men as their food and beer ran out; indeed, he had expected the English to aid him in his conquest of Navarre!

“The Lord Marquess of Dorset,” the herald finally announced, and Dorset entered into the room, looking, at least in Henry’s mind, like an appropriately demure servant of his king.

“Welcome back, my lord,” Henry said, his tone decidedly clipped, “I trust your journey was...comfortable?”

Dorset kept his expression placid but his body seemed to bristle at Henry’s words, “Yes, Your Majesty, my journey was entirely suitable.”

“And your military venture? Was that suitable?” Henry said, the annoyance in his voice growing.

“I-” Dorset was visibly taken aback.

“You have failed me!” Henry continued, “You have failed your King! And you will answer for it.” Dorset said nothing in response.

“Leave,” Henry said after a moment of silence, “I do not want to see you at court while I decide what shall be done to account for your...mismanagement. You are dismissed.”

“Of course, sire. Thank you, sire” came Dorset’s weary reply. Then the man bowed, turned around and left.

Once the door had closed, Henry let out a heavy sigh. He still had to deal with Dorset...there would be a court called, the man would have to face trial. He simply couldn’t allow such a waste of English lives and resources to go unpunished.

A short update but an update nonetheless...sorry it couldn't be more. But i needed to show the resolution to henry's gascon venture and, well, there's really very little to say.

I think Henry should blame the king of Aragon for not supplying is man I take it Henry VIII was planning to feed his arms by using has Alliance.

VII: June 1513
Note: I'm going to up the pacing a bit, hopefully this isn't going too far forward for everyone...

Dover, June 1513

Catalina leaned back against the cushions of her litter, resting a hand on her ever swelling stomach. She had been so pleased when she had finally quickened back in April, especially given as Henry had decided, though not without her help, to go to war with the French again. He had also decided to lead his troops personally this time, to prevent the sort of mismanagement that had occurred last summer. Now within the hour they would be at Dover Castle, from which Henry was to depart with his men. Catalina shot a glance over at Henry, who was trotting alongside her litter on his horse, laughing merrily at something Charles Brandon said. The glint of his armor reminded her though of what he was about to embark upon; Catalina could imagine the scene of his return, Henry basking in the glory of his continental victories and her glowing with her own triumph, a healthy little Duke of Cornwall snug in her arms.

The thought brought a smile to her face, and the child in her womb responded by shifting around and kicking.

“You are very lively today, mijo,” Catalina whispered, “Is that because you are excited to meet me and your papa? I am excited to meet you too but you must not come early, wait until you are strong and ready, comprendido?”

Her husband was already so delighted at the thought of finally having his son and heir. He was even making plans for the boy’s christening, assigning to him as godparents the King and Queen of Portugal, the Queen being Catalina’s dear sister Maria, as well as the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian. It pleased Catalina immensely to think that her little boy would have such illustrious sponsors, though Henry had shot down her suggestion of her own father as a godfather. That irked her, especially since just a year previously he would likely have welcomed having the King of Aragon as a godfather to their son.

Henry’s relatively recent distaste for his father-by-marriage was also continuing to seep unpleasantly into his relationship with Catalina. Indeed, politics had become a vanishingly rare topic in their conversations. Catalina understood that Henry might not always wish to discuss politics with his wife, the woman who was supposed to provide him with a refuge from the worldly concerns of his kingship, but his hesitancy hinted that he did not trust her, just as he did not trust her father, and that made her heart ache.

However, Henry had also told her some news before they had left Greenwich which made her feel much better about their relationship. Come his departure for France, she would be regent. The idea thrilled and exhilarated Catalina, and she was determined to do proud by her husband, as well as her mother in Heaven who had ruled her own kingdom with such grace and wisdom. Catalina was certain that she would not fail...no, she could not fail, either in serving as regent or in giving Henry a son and heir to reign as king after him.

Later that night, Henry and Catalina lay curled together on the bed in the Queen’s chambers. It was rare that they slept together without having intercourse, but they had a need of seeing each other as much as possible before Henry’s departure. Though nothing was said aloud about the subject, neither were blind to the fact that war was fraught with danger and Henry was soon to be heading into the thick of battle.

“I’m going to miss your hair,” Henry murmured into Catalina’s neck, hands resting gently on her waist.

“Oh?” Catalina said, her tone somewhat incredulous, “Why so?”

“The smell,” Henry replied, “It’s like...cinnamon and some sort of flower. I don’t know what it is but it’s lovely, intoxicating.”

Catalina snorted, “It’s just my perfumes. You can take those with you if you like.”

“No, no,” Henry said insistently, “I know what your perfumes smell like and that’s not what this is.”

“Well what is it then?” Catalina asked, turning her head to look at her husband.

“You,” Henry said simply, “Just you.”

They fell into silence then, Henry adjusting his hands so that one of them fell on Catalina's burgeoning abdomen. The baby kicked, responding to their father’s touch.

“Ah,” Henry said, breaking the silence, “That was a strong one. I see we have a budding warrior on our hands.”

“He will be the greatest warrior since his father,” Catalina said with a smile, then rolling over so that she was face to face with her husband, “I just…I can’t even say...I wish...”

“I know, Catlin. But do not worry,” Henry drew one of her hands up and placed a kiss on it, “You’ll do splendidly and I’ll be home before the baby comes, you’ll see.”

Catalina said nothing in response but rather buried her face in Henry’s shoulder, breathing him in as best she could. Henry rested his head on top of hers, equally trying to savor how his wife felt in his arms. Soon enough sleep overtook them.

Last edited:
Awww, the scene at the end was so sweet, as they temporarily were able to forget the stresses of politics and focus on their love for each other. Lovely chapter!

VIII: July 1513
Richmond, July 1513

Catalina shifted in her chair, attempting to get comfortable - a real challenge at six months pregnant, especially as her child seemed to have nestled themselves in her ribs and refused to move. Before her in the council room sat the two advisors her husband had recommended to her: William Warham, Archbishop of Canterbury and Thomas Howard, earl of Surrey. Catalina wasn’t particularly familiar with either man but Henry apparently trusted them both enough to leave in their hands matters which Catalina could not handle herself. And that was all that she needed.

“Gentleman,” Catalina said, clearing her throat, “For what reason have you called me here today?”

Warham and Surrey exchanged worried glances and Catalina’s heart began to race. Then Warham finally spoke.

“Your Grace, it seems that the King of Scots is mobilizing troops...and they are amassing at the southern border.”

“What are you saying?” Catalina asked; she could venture a fair guess but she only hoped that she was wrong…

“We believe that the Scots mean to invade England, my lady,” Surrey said flatly. The earl was in his seventies and a grisled veteran of the Cousins War so his plainspoken attitude toward the matter did not surprise Catalina in the least.

“Very well,” Catalina said before pausing for a moment to consider her options, “Obviously we must muster a force of our own to go and meet them should they invade.”

“Indeed,” Surrey replied, “I do not know when the Scots plan to invade but it will take at least several weeks for us to gather our own force.”

Catalina frowned, “That seems too long a time to wait, my lord Surrey. Can you do it any faster?”

Surrey exchanged another glance with Warham and then nodded, “I can have my men mustered and ready outside of London in three weeks, madam. There should be more than enough to turn back the Scots.”

A wave of relief washed over Catalina, “Wonderful. I thank you kindly, my lords, for your guidance in this matter.” Now she could only hope that the men would come and Surrey would succeed in driving out the Scots...for what more tenuous position was there for her to be in than to be pregnant and in charge while her husband was off fighting a war in France? With that she made a mental note that she should have Elizabeth and Mary brought to her, just in case.

Hopefully Katherine and Surrey are able to lead the English into a victory just as big, if not bigger than Flodden!