The Last Hanover: The Life and Reign of Queen Charlotte

Once you are in the Habsburg family, you are there forever :p sorry, meant it as a dumb joke that Kinda fell flat i guess XD
Ahhh :p not your fault, I'm a bit flat myself right now lol
Another wonderful excerpt. Perhaps the most interesting tidbit regards Leonor. If Charlotte is arranging marriages for her granddaughter in Portugal either a) Miguel’s descendants have abandoned his absolutist tendencies or b) Maria of Brazil has managed to take the throne
I am very excited about Leonor and I have a lot to do in not a whole bunch of time to bring her about lol

It’s just the last excerpt from the queen’s diary, she could live past this date but be unable to write due to illness.

Also that Leonor of Portugal is born in July 1885 and her parents marriage was arranged by Charlotte, nead the end of her life. As such, Leonor is conceived in abour October 1884, and with the final diary entry in June 1880, along with other comments in the post, it would certainly suggest that she passed away in 1880, if not a short amount of time after.

Also that Leonor of Portugal is born in July 1885 and her parents marriage was arranged by Charlotte, nead the end of her life. As such, Leonor is conceived in abour October 1884, and with the final diary entry in June 1880, along with other comments in the post, it would certainly suggest that she passed away in 1880, if not a short amount of time after.
Marriages can be arranged over years.
Charlotte could have made suggestions over time which made people support the idea to have these two married in her honour.

🤔
Y'know...that sounds a lot like a 'suspiciously specific denial'
🤪🤣
You do you, girl. It's like on an airplane, you put your mask on first, then you help others
Well, I've seen threads with much more consistent posting go dead and I didn't want anyone to think that had happened!

So thinking back in this TL - if I recall correctly, we’re at the end of 1830, George IV has just died, and there was an election imperiling the Tory majority, who have been in power since the Napoleonic Wars; so basically, similar to OTL. Am I right?

If I am, I’m really curious and excited to see how TTL handles the historic legislative period of 1831-34 (or whatever TTL’s equivalent is, assuming the Whigs aren’t on the verge on getting a real chance to govern). Because this period was super important historically OTL - I asked about the Poor Laws earlier in the thread, but of course this was also when Parliament passed the Reform Act of 1832 and abolished slavery throughout the empire. Not to mention making some subtle regulatory changes to the British East India Company that would, in the space of a few years, snowball into what would become the First Opium War.

So whenever @The_Most_Happy decides to continue this, I’ll be paying close attention.

Last edited:
@John Fredrick Parker , if I remember correctly there was a Tory proposal for reform during the 1831/32 period. It basically involved the disenfranchisement of the more notorious pocket and rotten boroughs (like the infamous Old Sarum) and the transference of their seats to the county in which they were located (the so-called "Grampound solution"). However, the Tory ideas in no way involved changing the property thresholds. So, if the Tories remain in power, something similar to this would likely be proposed.

@John Fredrick Parker , if I remember correctly there was a Tory proposal for reform during the 1831/32 period. It basically involved the disenfranchisement of the more notorious pocket and rotten boroughs (like the infamous Old Sarum) and the transference of their seats to the county in which they were located (the so-called "Grampound solution"). However, the Tory ideas in no way involved changing the property thresholds. So, if the Tories remain in power, something similar to this would likely be proposed.
You know what? If you threw "the abolition of slavery throughout the empire" in there, and had Arthur decide "you know what, now's maybe not the best time to whack the Speenhamland hornet's nest", and you may well have a situation where the Tories staying in power is actually, on the whole, a good thing, at least for the time being (and IMHO).

So thinking back in this TL - if I recall correctly, we’re at the end of 1830, George IV has just died, and there was an election imperiling the Tory majority, who have been in power since the Napoleonic Wars; so basically, similar to OTL. Am I right?

If I am, I’m really curious and excited to see how TTL handles the historic legislative period of 1831-34 (or whatever TTL’s equivalent is, assuming the Whigs aren’t on the verge on getting a real chance to govern). Because this period was super important historically OTL - I asked about the Poor Laws earlier in the thread, but of course this was also when Parliament passed the Reform Act of 1832 and abolished slavery throughout the empire. Not to mention making some subtle regulatory changes to the British East India Company that would, in the space of a few years, snowball into what would become the First Opium War.

So whenever @The_Most_Happy decides to continue this, I’ll be paying close attention.
I will be back with a vengeance! ;) July is just a really really popular time for babies for some reason

Something else occurs to me -- even if the Whigs are brought to power around the time of OTL (and as we've established, that's a pretty big "if" on it's own), a different monarch means different Prime Ministers could be chosen.

I'm not sure what the context for Earl Grey's selection was OTL (since there were no "party leaders" before said selection), but the Viscount Melbourne was picked pretty much solely for the reason of being acceptable enough to William IV; obviously, Queen Charlotte might find herself more inclined to pick bolder leaders, like maybe Brougham, or Durham, or Spencer.

Just a thought ;)

Something else occurs to me -- even if the Whigs are brought to power around the time of OTL (and as we've established, that's a pretty big "if" on it's own), a different monarch means different Prime Ministers could be chosen.

I'm not sure what the context for Earl Grey's selection was OTL (since there were no "party leaders" before said selection), but the Viscount Melbourne was picked pretty much solely for the reason of being acceptable enough to William IV; obviously, Queen Charlotte might find herself more inclined to pick bolder leaders, like maybe Brougham, or Durham, or Spencer.

Just a thought ;)
Can I send you a message and pick your brain about some of these things?

Tidbits: Wedded Bliss
"Okay everyone, it's Wedding Wednesday! Today we are looking at the wedding of Edward VII, the then Prince of Wales, and The Hon. Anne Mary Dorothea Fitzgerald-Fitzclarence.

Prince-Henry-Duke-of-Gloucester-Princess-Alice-Duchess-of-Gloucester.jpg

(Edward and Anne, circa 1961)​

Anne, known privately as Nan, was the childhood friend of Edward's younger sister, and a goddaughter to his aunt. According to memoirs of Edward's cousin, Edward announced one day during a family visit to Claremont that he would marry Anne or no other when he was eight and Nan was five years old. The families politely laughed, and continued on with their days, thinking nothing of the speech. It meant everything to Edward and Anne, however.

The two began a courtship when Anne was sixteen and Edward was nineteen - they were engaged two days after her nineteenth birthday, and married shortly before her twenty-first birthday. The wedding was delayed to allow Nan time to finish her education, per her own request. She graduated from Girton College with an undergraduate in History and Modern Languages four months before her wedding. Anne's engagement ring was made from diamonds inherited from the groom's grandmother, the Dowager Queen.

12061_TV-1.jpg

(Anne's engagement ring)
The two wed on November 2, 1929 at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle. The bride wore the Fitzgerald rock crystal tiara and a strand of pearls given to her by her fiance for her eighteenth birthday. She wore a custom Norman Hartnell dress in soft rose, with orange blossoms at the neckline, and a heirloom veil inherited from her father's side of the family. The groom wore the uniform of a senior group captain of the RAF, his rank at the time of the wedding. The two exchanged Welsh gold wedding rings, continuing the royal family tradition, which were later revealed to be engraved with "beloved" on the inside of the rings.

AliceGloucesterWeddingDressBouquet.jpg
7c38756fd8205172d6b66232a53d80af.jpg

(The Hon. Anne Fitzgerald-Fitzclarence on her wedding day)​

Anne and Edward were married for thirty-six years before his death; she survived him by thirty-three years. After his death, she remained in mourning for the rest of her life, and traveled to St. George's Chapel for a private vigil every November 2nd until her own passing. The two are now buried side by the side in the Chapel where they were wed."

-Post from The Royal Watcher Blog, July 7, 2021

Last edited: