Status
Not open for further replies.
No Klingons
Before Enterprise when/what was first contact with the Klingons?
no Xindi, no Sphere Builders
Totally agree.
no Suliban, no Temporal Cold War
I kinda liked the Sullivan, just not the Temporal Cold War stuff.
no Organians
While I liked the idea of the Organians as anthropologists idea I wasn't a fan of the illness aspect.
No "A Night In Sickbay"
I kinda think they should have done the romance between T'Pol and Trip from the beginning, the idea of a relationship between two bridge officers just really bad.
NO "DEAR DOCTOR"
Why?
Triad could possibly make The Shadow. Potential directors include Quentin Tarantino, Joe Dante, Tim Burton, Wes Craven, & The Coen Brothers. Potential actors to star include Alec Baldwin, Harrison Ford, Tom Hanks, Kurt Russell, Michael Keaton, & Rutger Hauer.

marathag

Banned
Here's how I would've done Enterprise: No Klingons, no Xindi, no Suliban, no Sphere Builders, no Organians, no Temporal Cold War, No "A Night In Sickbay" and NO "DEAR DOCTOR"!!!
More Jeffery Combs

People wanted to see how the Federation got started, not the 'Hi We're from Earth, please don't laugh at us) of the early seasons to the Death Ball or Time War

I kinda think they should have done the romance between T'Pol and Trip from the beginning, the idea of a relationship between two bridge officers just really bad.
Trip surviving Enterprise would be a significant improvement for the show too, but that could happen if Enterprise was extended.

More Jeffery Combs

People wanted to see how the Federation got started, not the 'Hi We're from Earth, please don't laugh at us) of the early seasons to the Death Ball or Time War
Eh, I still think that's okay because that's what Earth is supposed to be during the 22nd century (doesn't make sense if Earth is equal to its alien peers shortly after First Contact), but that phase should be far shortened instead of it being the majority of the show. Maybe Enterprise/United Earth managing to diffuse the anti-alien terrorist groups like Terra Prime in the early seasons (who might become more popular due to Romulan infiltration and false flag tactics without the Xindi attack) would cause the Vulcans to slowly loosen their grip over their own technology and see the Humans as equal partners, kickstarting the process towards the formation of the Federation.

Plus having the Andorians and Tellarites be more involved in the show (also means more Shran/Jeffrey Combs) could mean Enterprise and Humanity are more important as mediators between the three interstellar powers.

Putting Things Right…Quantum Leap (1989-1995)
From The TV Obsessive, by Hanmii Dahri-Mote, a regular column in TV Guide and other publications

Life is unfair. Bad things happen to good people, while bad people grow rich, grow old, and die in luxury. We seek solace in religion and philosophy and fantasy, hoping to find justice and rightness in a world that refuses to be right or just. I recently lost someone that I love and saw the perpetrator escape with little consequence due to his connections, so such things have been on my mind of late. And while this column is usually a fun deviation into nostalgia, the truth is that the entertainment that we consume is quite often, it seems, the world as we wish it to be, where fairness and justice always win and the evil and the self-serving get their comeuppance.
I haven't felt this called out by a section of an AH work since somebody wrote something about a glass-bottomed boat...

@Brainbin

Soul Music is going to be a weird film in a weird way for Disney fans with a Disney Princess, Ysabell, dying and her Daughter, Death's Grand Daughter, becoming a Disney Princess but I think it will be wonderful and epic and a lead up to the, even more, epic Hogfather I hope they can run them off quickly so they can keep all the voice actors the same.

Triad could possibly make The Shadow. Potential directors include Quentin Tarantino, Joe Dante, Tim Burton, Wes Craven, & The Coen Brothers. Potential actors to star include Alec Baldwin, Harrison Ford, Tom Hanks, Kurt Russell, Michael Keaton, & Rutger Hauer.
Rutger Hauer as the Shadow? Yes, Please! :)

I can’t say much about shows I’ve never watched, although looking at Quantum Leap in terms of its status from both out time and this one is intriguing; it’s s product of its time, but (to borrow from The Song of Susan criticism earlier) it’s walking so that later shows (both Belisario’s and others) can run. The knock-on effect could be interesting - I was born in 1990, so JAG for me was this show I clearly remember being heavily advertised on the regular despite knowing nothing ABOUT it… yet now it’s living in the shadow of its tangentially-related spin-off. Which, with the crew conflicts and long-runner status I’ve heard of (plus Michael Weatherly, post-departure getting the MeeToo treatment) is verging on Franchise Zombie status, despite being one of the first shows to truly explore a proper Tv universe spanning multiple alongside Law & Order (and disregarding the infamous Tommy Westphall theory that we have St. Elsewhere, and it’s oh-so egregious attempt to Torch The Franchise And Run, to thank for… way to make everyone forget or just disregard the actual artistic value and longterm impact your show is truly worth, guys!)
Soul Music is going to be a weird film in a weird way for Disney fans with a Disney Princess, Ysabell, dying and her Daughter, Death's Grand Daughter, becoming a Disney Princess but I think it will be wonderful and epic and a lead up to the, even more, epic Hogfather I hope they can run them off quickly so they can keep all the voice actors the same.
It also won’t come out until after Sir Terry writes it, in which case seeing the reprisal of valid roles and how the characters are played by their now-older actors (specially Helena Bonham Carter as Ysabel) will be interesting. Goodness know who Susan will be voiced by… and if Soul Magic by Disney is a thing, by extension Hogfather will be later on (and its villain, Jonathan Teatime, will be an excellent addition to Disney’s rogues gallery too!) That one also harkens back to the themes of Mort, making it a perfect self-contained series of animated movies (with the caveat of needing to adjust the structure of SM and HF, since unlike Mort they eschew the three-act structure).
Trip surviving Enterprise would be a significant improvement for the show too, but that could happen if Enterprise was extended.

Eh, I still think that's okay because that's what Earth is supposed to be during the 22nd century (doesn't make sense if Earth is equal to its alien peers shortly after First Contact), but that phase should be far shortened instead of it being the majority of the show. Maybe Enterprise/United Earth managing to diffuse the anti-alien terrorist groups like Terra Prime in the early seasons (who might become more popular due to Romulan infiltration and false flag tactics without the Xindi attack) would cause the Vulcans to slowly loosen their grip over their own technology and see the Humans as equal partners, kickstarting the process towards the formation of the Federation.

Plus having the Andorians and Tellarites be more involved in the show (also means more Shran/Jeffrey Combs) could mean Enterprise and Humanity are more important as mediators between the three interstellar powers.
So long as we get Deep Space Nine in some form, I’m not bothered by whichever ST series do or don’t get made later… although, I confess that we can do without the drought that came about from ENT having such an uneven run concluding with a “nice thought in concept, TERRIBLE idea in execution and hindsight” series finale. Any time a show tries to be experimental in what’s means to be your conclusion, your thesis statement as it were, it will leave a bad taste in viewers’ mouths 95+% of the time (also looking at “Things Change” from Teen Titans, here. And I mentioned St. Elsewhere earlier in my post, let’s not forget THAT!)

I can never reconcile how Scott Bakula could be so wonderful in Quantum Leap but so awful in Star Trek Enterprise :frown:
he was good in ENT, he did as good as he could with what he was offered
(and i did like that ENT teaser, where scott did the oh boy thing like he was leaping into jonathan archer
Well hopefully ENT is butterflied, here.
hope not, i liked it
i mean the the first season of ENT at times forgettable at best, not until into season 2 it started to get better.

Henson Bio XVII: Sunset, or Sunrise?
Chapter 16: Staring into the Sunset (Cont’d)
Excerpt from Jim Henson: Storyteller, an authorized biography by Jay O’Brian

1990 and the new decade brought new possibility, but still, a melancholy hung over Jim. Death seemed to be everywhere. The previous December a terrorist bomb exploded aboard a Pan Am flight returning to the US from Germany, killing hundreds. A man with a pistol killed a bunch of people at a McDonalds in West LA, seemingly for no reason at all. Gang violence and drug related deaths were growing across America. Closer to home, he’d learned from Bernie Brillstein about Corey Haim’s overdose death, followed all too soon by Corey Feldman’s fatal auto accident. He’d watched Howard growing weaker every day. Richard Hunt was visibly turning paler and thinner. The specter of that damned disease and the anemic response to it chewed at him. The Song of Susan was a hit. It won awards. It raised awareness. It raised tens of millions of dollars for AIDS research. But it couldn’t save Richard and Howard, whose sands continued to slip away.

And yet a small but vocal group of shareholders were crying foul over the whole affair. Tens of millions were being “wasted” on charity. Even during its production some of these shareholders questioned why resources were being spent on “an AIDS flick”. It was a small minority, led by a vocal day trader and occasional arbitrageur, but the noise was increasing. Frank Wells said it was just a power play, and that most investors saw the advantages of positive publicity and brand improvement for long term growth, and yet with the economy sliding ever deeper into recession, some were starting to feel the bite in real time. Frank Wells ran as much interference as he could, pointing out (somewhat accurately) that with the charity they’d probably dodge enough taxes over the next three years to more than make up for the perceived “loss”, and yet even many of the more patient shareholders and their representatives were clamoring for an explanation as to why the company ever agreed to give up all of the profits. Honestly, Frank had only agreed to the charity because no one expected the movie to be a hit with general audiences. Disney stock prices had actually dropped because of it and papers were calling it “the costliest success in history”.

It baffled Jim. Disney had made them all a fortune between all of the other massive hits, the growing park attendance, and hotel revenues over the last seven years, and yet they wanted more. How much did one man need? Jim was now so rich that he couldn’t think of anything to spend it on, so he spent it on son John’s charity work or new educational projects. He funneled his own bonuses back down to the employees. The shareholders hadn’t complained about the profits of Maus all going to charity, but then again, that film only made a few million. The Song of Susan broke $120 million gross. He accepted that he had a duty to the shareholders, but this was seriously ridiculous. He urged them to pay a visit to Howard and see the human cost, but for the most part the pleas fell on deaf ears.

It sucked the life from him.

Still, the company moved forward with a life of its own. Cheryl’s “The Song of the Cloud Forest” had been a major success on Disney’s World of Magic. Its hyper-color puppetry was some of the most visually stunning and beautiful stuff the Muppet Workshop had produced in years. It was a beautiful and sentimental work that none the less addressed a serious existential issue: habitat destruction and extinction. He’d delighted in watching the life-affirming creation of his middle daughter’s new special, and was particularly proud and happy to present it on World of Magic, but alas the reigns of production were almost completely out of his hands.

Instead, a darker picture absorbed his time: Mort, a beautiful but bittersweet story that resonated with the context of Howard’s imminent passing. Howard’s chilling lyrics, set to Alan and Danny’s amazing, ethereal score with its mix of minor key and Phrygian scale, captured the longing, existential ennui of the four central characters. And certainly, the haunted and haunting (literally) Princess Keli was unlike any Disney Princess to come before! Jim and Terry Pratchett had gotten along very well during its creation. Terry mentioned that he had an idea for a follow-up to Mort. While Disney generally didn’t do “sequels” Jim swore he’d give it a look when it arrived. He made a note to look at all of Terry’s writing. The animated feature was shaping up to be amazing. The pencil test sequences, tied to the fantastic voice work, was astonishing.

Up next was Aladdin, Howard’s personal passion project fashioned in the vein of the old Bob Hope/Bing Crosby musicals and the old Swing Age jazz scene with a Genie based on Cab Calloway. Jim flew out to New York, checked on the plays and Sesame Street, and went up to Fishkill. Howard and Alan were rushing to finish the music while Howard still breathed, but the clock was ticking. The doctors claimed that there was less than a year. Howard, voice weaker than it had been just weeks before, lamented how much he wanted to stay longer, but there was so much to do and so little time. Jim, though not facing Howard’s definite looming mortality, knew all too well about that.

Jim drove down to Philadelphia, nearly getting into an accident on I-95 as his mind wandered, to check on the Disneytown, set to open that year. He was happy to visit Sesame Place, which held a special place in his heart. He wanted to stay longer, but time was running out. He had to fly down to check on Typhoon Lagoon and then jet back to Burbank.

The latest Studio Ghibli release, Kiki’s Delivery Service, a brilliant story about when the “magic” of talent is lost due to the drudgery of work, had made a good $36 million, not My Neighbor Totoro success, but more in keeping with the usual returns on Japanese anime imports. The continued success of the partnership led Henson and Miyazaki to establish an “animator’s exchange program”.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was about to release. Jim was exceptionally proud of the film and glad that they’d managed to beat out Warner Brothers and Paramount to make it[1]. The animatronics were working exceptionally well and really bringing the Eastman and Laird characters to life.

Batman had been a smashing success (he sent his congratulations to Lisa’s boyfriend Sam), so they greenlit Spiderman in partnership with Orion Pictures after reclaiming the film rights from Canon when they reverted in 1990. It was to be the first time the webslinger had been on the big screen to the best of his knowledge. They put it under MGM. Lisa’s own Indiana Jones movie, The Judgement of Anubis, her first credit as Producer, was likewise a smashing success. In the excitement of their twin blockbusters, Sam and Lisa decided to get married. The spur-of-the-moment wedding was a fun chance for the whole family to gather, but the marriage itself wouldn’t last, ending in amicable divorce in 1991.

As for MGM, the Entertainment Pavilion and its MGM-themed Great Movie Ride was a smashing success, though Universal Studios, under construction in Orlando, could pose a challenge once it opened. Frank was furious at the Universal plan and wanted to build up a competing resort. It seemed to Jim like a waste of time and money just to hypothetically “compete” with Universal Studios. Instead, why not make the existing parks more attractive? A new Indiana Jones themed stunt show in Adventureland seemed like the obvious choice. Triad, owners of Paramount, were happy to support anything that undermined arch-rival Universal. As for studio tours, the newly expanded Burbank lot offered the perfect place for tours, and with sets much more likely to actually be occupied and “in production” than some hypothetical new lot in Kissimmee. And as the number of active productions increased, they indeed began building new studios and sound stages in Orlando, with a “yellow brick road” from the Entertainment Pavilion that offered Studio tours from EPCOT as well.

Then you had Port Disney and the DisneySea park to go with it. And there was Disneyland Valencia…he really needed to find the time to visit the site again. He and Frank spent hours of time going over concept art, test reels, blueprints, spreadsheets, schedules, release plans…still so little time for it all.

He took a little time off, and most of it was spent at Sunset Puppetry doing increasingly surreal and adult shows for the teens and young adults on the Sunset Strip. At one point he and his kids went scrambling when a gunfight broke out on Sunset Boulevard, apparently a drug deal gone bad. Having lived in New York in the 1970s, he was no stranger to urban crime, but LA was getting bad. There was this feeling of a bottle under pressure just waiting to explode when the right stimulus came along. He wondered if he needed to find a quieter, less dangerous pastime!

Fatefully, he decided that a return to the calm nature walks that he used to take with Emily would be a better pastime. One evening in May during sunset he was taking a walk along the coastal rocks. He’d spent a lot of time walking along these rocks and others like them and he’d received his share of cuts and scrapes and bruises from the occasional slip or stumble. When he slipped and gouged his leg on a rocky outcropping, the bleeding wasn’t excessive. He took the bandana from his head and fashioned it into a makeshift bandage and finished his walk. When he got home, Bob Forrest was there, strung out, paranoid. He and son John spent the night talking him down and trying in vain to convince him to go into rehab. He should have been thinking more about himself at the moment, but as always, he put the needs of others first.

The next morning Jim finally took a shower. The gouge on his leg was swollen and red now. He put some ice on it and went to work. Mort was in full animation. He walked along the hallways of the Animation, 3D, and Ink & Paint buildings. Some of the animators remembered him having a slight limp. John Lasseter was managing the DIS animation stations and compilers, which were crunching through backgrounds, the framing effects for the Turtle-borne Discworld, and the digital animation for the thousands of life timers, their sands slowly slipping away. Inkers and painters were compiling cels of Death in a hundred poses and expressions: a looming menace, a kindly father, an angry spirit, a welcoming host.

Over the next two days the swelling in his leg got worse. The heat and discomfort throbbed, distracting him slightly as he watched the premier of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and spoke to the press. A white plug of pus filled the gouge. The red had travelled up his leg almost to the knee. John gave him some special teas, led him through some healing exercises, and suggested that he rest. Bob Forrest, still crashing there, suggested that he should see a doctor. Jim shrugged. He hated to be a bother. There was too much to do and too little time for it all. Work went on. He was exhausted when Saturday came around. John told him to go to bed, but he’d promised Dick Nunis that they would go surfing that morning and he never wanted to break a promise, however small.

He met Dick Nunis on the beach that day, but they wouldn’t make it to the waters that day. “I met him at the beach and I immediately saw the leg,” Nunis recalled. “It was infected, and bad. I said, ‘Jim, you stupid son of a bitch! We’re going to the hospital!’ He demurred and refused. He said he was ‘fine.’ I wasn’t having it. I physically dragged him to the car and drove him to the emergency room against his will[2].

“He said something like, ‘Look, I really don’t want to impose,’ and I said to him, ‘don’t you think your dying might just impose on the rest of us who have to pick up the pieces?’”

The doctors immediately put him on intravenous vancomycin. They dug out the pus plug and drained the wound, wicking out the pus and infection, cleaning it thoroughly. “Another two days or so and he might have gone into septic shock,” said Nunis. “The attending physician explained to Jim what that meant in excruciating detail. Jim said he’d seen it happen and went white as a ghost.”

And seen it he had, just weeks before at St. Vincent’s Hospital in New York as Howard Ashman struggled through a systemic infection that his body couldn’t fight.

“I didn’t want to be there [at the emergency room],” Jim said of it all later. “Hospitals freak me out. I hated all of the attention. The IV made my skin flush red and hot. I honestly didn’t shit right for a week, pardon my language. But Dick saved my life. It didn’t fully set in until later just how close I’d come. Terry’s Reaper seems like a nice guy given everything, but I’m in no personal hurry to meet him.”

The event would leave a lasting impression on Jim. The constantly flowing sands of time and his own looming mortality had always hung over his head, but always in the abstract. Here he’d literally faced death. He didn’t want to be a bother for others, but all of the attention he received afterwards made it clear to him that all that they wanted was for him to be in their lives. The following days would reaffirm to him that, for as alone and isolated as he’d felt from atop the peak, he wasn’t alone as long as he had friends, family, and coworkers who loved and respected him as much as he loved and respected them.

Jim Henson wouldn’t spend another minute dwelling on the things that had been lost, only on what, and who, he had in his life. He’d been given more time, and he wasn’t going to waste a second of it.

photo-1563738068154-8d2e9f19ed62

Sunset…or Sunrise? (Image source “unsplash.com”)

- ∞ -

[1] In our timeline nobody wanted to take a risk on TMNT because the He Man movie had been a total flop. In this timeline He Man is a modest success, so there was a short bidding war for the popular characters.

[2] It’s necessary to be a Dick some days.

‘But Dick saved my life. It didn’t fully set in until later just how close I’d come. Terry’s Reaper seems like a nice guy given everything, but I’m in no personal hurry to meet him.” - AND WE DO NOT WANT YOU TO GO EITHER JIM!

*ahem*

Great chapter there @Geekhis Khan - hopefully Mr. Henson will take better care of himself now! Dick Nunis is a Hero.

TMNT by Disney or an affiliated studio? I bet it will look awesome though. Same basic story, or do they have more mutants like Bebop and Rocksteady in?

1990’s Spider-Man should be interesting considering the sfx in otl superhero movies of the time. Wonder who will be lead?

Wish we could ITTL’s Mort and Aladdin they sound superb.

Wish we could ITTL’s Mort and Aladdin they sound superb.
Re: Aladdin, whilst I'm loathe to butterfly Robin Williams' EPIC performance, does someone else play Genie ITTL?

If Genie's more Calloway-resembling, a good actor could be Ken Page (who played Oogie Boogie in Nightmare Before Christmas OTL, but probably not here), because he can do Calloway. Ken Page singing "Friend Like Me" would be a thing of beauty.

Yeah, Dick Nunis saving Jim makes sense--he was there when Walt Disney was in his final years, and he didn't want to see the same thing happen to Jim.

Is the shooting in West Los Angeles the OTL San Ysidro shooting moved elsewhere TTL due to butterflies? Here's a link to the Wikipedia page for it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Ysidro_McDonald's_massacre

A shame Pan Am 103 couldn't be butterflied away; OTOH, in OTL, the plane was supposed to explode over the sea (similar to Air India Flight 182--this would have destroyed a lot of evidence) but the departure time was delayed, so it exploded over Lockerbie (RIP to all 270 in OTL--259 on the plane and 11 in Lockerbie itself) and left evidence leading to the perpetrators...

Wow....this post feels like a real watershed moment for the timeline. It all happened way too fast with so many events happening, yet I couldn't turn away from what was happening.....

I'm not surprised that Jim feels so sullen at seeing what the Disney shareholders have done in the aftermath of The Song of Susan. While the Disney shareholders are unique that they do put stock into the "Disney magic" as much as they do for their own personal profit, it is still ultimately their money that's on the line. You could call it greed, but I'm sure they'll remain a very obstructive force for a philanthropist like Jim.

Meanwhile, I'm glad that Cheryl got to do something fantastic for The World of Magic, plus the themes of habitat destruction and extinction will surely do ring true as the world continues to consume and waste precious natural resources at an exponential rate. I definitely think Walt Disney Entertainment will revisit this topic again.

Mort and Aladdin are sure to be a smash hit with Ashman's music and Disney's animated magic, but it makes me wonder whether we'll see a future trend with musicals like with the OTL Disney Renaissance or if we'll see less of it because Disney is able to explore other avenues of styles thanks to Jim's creative direction. Regardless, the Animation Studio should expect to see the peak of their golden age in the 90s after Where the Wild Things Are's success and the beginning of the Disney Renaissance.

Oooooh, Disney and Ghibli are collaborating even more closely this time through the artist's exchange! Now I'm interesting to see where both this exchange and the partnership will lead to with all of the butterflies flapping.

Disney is making TMNT?! What???? As if Disney needed even more smash hits and IPs to eat :openedeyewink:!
All jokes aside, I hope that this film ends up being more of a critical success than its OTL counterpart, and no doubt that the animatronics, puppetry, and special effects are vastly improved thanks to Disney's resources and the Creatureworks' experience.

I'm not surprised that Frank would be the one pushing for Disney-MGM to open with a theme park in mind, but Jim is rightfully hesitant in trying to one-up Universal. If Disney rushed to open Disney-MGM (the theme park), it would immediately put both companies in a bind as they tried to compete to finish first like in OTL, with both parks being subpar products for guests. Here, a more organic progression could very well take place as the studios at USF and Disney-MGM would slowly accrue attractions, improving both the state of the movie studios and the enjoyment of guests. In that case, I don't think Disney will be the one that will spur Universal for that mad dash towards a new theme park. That honor would most likely fall into someone else.

I am glad that someone managed to save Jim at the nick of time. I didn't expect Dick Nunis to be the one to do it, but regardless, I held my belated breath as Jim danced with Death himself and lived to tell the tale. No doubt that this close brush with his mortality has changed him, but I am hopeful that Jim Henson, now realizing the full impact that his life has on other people and the time that he has been given, gets to appreciate what he has in life and learns to live to the fullest with his friends and family. I guess Jim won't abandon his workaholic habits (perhaps that's magnified after this), but maybe he'll find a better work-life balance as a result.

For Jim, the sun did rise another day, and things will never be the same after that.

Okay, I did a very quick (and very basic logo) on what I think the Walter Elias Disney Signature Series could look like on a VHS/VCD:
WaltDisneySignatureSeries.png

An iron logo, to show that Disney means business (compared to the illustrious gold/platinum/diamond logos that Disney would be releasing for their mainline releases).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.