Romanov Ascendant: What if the Soviet Union survived?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latin America might suffice as a source of immigrants to Western Europe if the labor shortage gets too bad - as it is Spain is a significant destination for Latin American emigrants.
It would get really bad, if it wasn't for immigration, West Germany would have a population pyramid that looks like Japan.

Justinian

Banned
I just wanted to say guys that I have been kind of inactive lately, it's not because I am abandoning this timeline but I have some obligations that will take me some months that will leave me unable to continue, although I will try to bring everything up to date for 1994. Once I'm finished (in a few months) or I have time on the side I will absolutely come back to updating the timeline, with my own researched and full on written posts.

However in the meantime, if anyone wants to pick up where I leave of after 1994, just send me your ideas, write ups, compilations or etc via private message and I will post those and give full credit. Topics including the war on drugs, the space race, continued attempts at terrorism in the Soviet Union, the iraq problem as well as really anything else you can come up, with the historical circumstances where we are taken into consideration of course. My only suggestion is try to be realistic, but also don't forget that even in real life, funny, ironic and seemly unlikely events do happen in history.

By the way i guess chernobyl did not happen in this universe?
It didn't happen, but the problem with RBMK reactors will still pop up at a certain point, I'm actually going to write a flashback post on how Chernobyl was avoided.

Last edited:
I just wanted to say guys that I have been kind of inactive lately, it's not because I am abandoning this timeline but I have some obligations that will take me some months that will leave me unable to continue, although I will try to bring everything up to date for 1994. Once I'm finished (in a few months) or I have time on the side I will absolutely come back to updating the timeline, with my own researched and full on written posts.

However in the meantime, if anyone wants to pick up where I leave of after 1994, just send me your ideas, write ups, compilations or etc via private message and I will post those and give full credit. Topics including the war on drugs, the space race, continued attempts at terrorism in the Soviet Union, the iraq problem as well as really anything else you can come up, with the historical circumstances where we are taken into consideration of course. My only suggestion is try to be realistic, but also don't forget that even in real life, funny, ironic and seemly unlikely events do happen in history.

It didn't happen, but the problem with RBMK reactors will still pop up at a certain point, I'm actually going to write a flashback post on how Chernobyl was avoided.
Can I do some write-ups on Soviet equipment and industrial technology?

Fun fact: Chernobyl's reactor number 3 ramained in operation until 2000, there are still active RBMK reactors in siberia if I am not mistaken.

So Justinian... I might Send some good ideas,
can the 9/11 attack happened in this timeline for the United States, what would the Soviet Union and the rest of the world react to that?
and what might Soviet Union's Internet be?

the 9/11 attack happened in this timeline for the United States, what would the Soviet Union and the rest of the world react to that?
THAT will be VERY interesting.
Bearing in mind OBL was a Muhajid fighting the Soviets with American backing. Now the birds have come home roost, and the same former Muhajid to attack the USA.

While in private I suspect that there will be a lot of wry smiles from Romano, I think this could be an interesting moment of rapprochement, where US and Soviet forces actually work together leading to claims that the cold War is over. It won't be, but it will be different.
I would actually expect less censure from America regarding Soviet actions ITTL's Chechenya analogue, almost regardless of the strength of Soviet action.
Although this may be the result of Soviet Kompromat on US actions in Sudan or Somalia, (I don't see Al-Qaeda basing themselves in Afghanistan this time around), and the unspoken help in covering up US War Crimes, (or at least helping to cover up incidents that, while not technically war crimes, come close enough, think TTL's Abu Ghraib situation, especially if there's a Prison escape attempt. And you see pictures like this leaked:
77374810001_768085963001_ari-origin06-arc-180-1296262642303.jpg

But where the soldier concerned is carrying an RPD light machine-gun instead of a GPMG, (because its a Spetsnaz Trooper, not UKSF).

THAT will be VERY interesting.
Bearing in mind OBL was a Muhajid fighting the Soviets with American backing. Now the birds have come home roost, and the same former Muhajid to attack the USA.

While in private I suspect that there will be a lot of wry smiles from Romano, I think this could be an interesting moment of rapprochement, where US and Soviet forces actually work together leading to claims that the cold War is over. It won't be, but it will be different.
I would actually expect less censure from America regarding Soviet actions ITTL's Chechenya analogue, almost regardless of the strength of Soviet action.
Although this may be the result of Soviet Kompromat on US actions in Sudan or Somalia, (I don't see Al-Qaeda basing themselves in Afghanistan this time around), and the unspoken help in covering up US War Crimes, (or at least helping to cover up incidents that, while not technically war crimes, come close enough, think TTL's Abu Ghraib situation, especially if there's a Prison escape attempt. And you see pictures like this leaked:View attachment 646444
But where the soldier concerned is carrying an RPD light machine-gun instead of a GPMG, (because its a Spetsnaz Trooper, not UKSF).
I very much doubt 9/11 will happen here, their still is the Soviets to deal with after all. The CIA and the West in general is wedded to the the freedom fighters, and frankly, they already where aiding and training fighters who would attack American allies, like moros who would go to fight for liberation from the Philippines.

The far more likely targets are China because the most fanatical thought of continuing to fight the communists (You can find writings online about this from the 90s), India due the harsh repression of Muslims in Kashmir and the ISI want them to and Myanmar, Eritrea (it's extremely weird but just think of it the same reason why Secular dictators are overthrown in Muslim countries due to repression).

Compare to say the MEK, their a communist cult that killed American soldiers and targeted their families, helped bring suicide bombing into the Middle East and one of the few groups to celebrate 9/11, since 2004 it's water under the bridge as they have mutual enemies of Iran.

Sides their is always Sudan to send the really radical ones to fight in and help Muslims subdue the Christian tribes.

Overall the country had lost central government and has entered a state of warlordism and anarchy. A strong islamist political movement, emerged in the South of the country, while leftist and loyalist elements fled to Somaliland.
Somaliland will be hostile to the any former members of Siad Barre’s government on a account of the genocide committed against them during the 80s.

Justinian

Banned
Somaliland will be hostile to the any former members of Siad Barre’s government on a account of the genocide committed against them during the 80s.
You're correct, I did some more research and came to an alternate conclusion and updated the post.

No I think it's even expanded, with Stolichnaya becoming very popular in the west, licenced by the Soviets for royalties and a pepsi bottling plant perhaps built in the Soviet Union.
Twist ending to Romanov Ascendant: In reality, this deal between Pepsi and the Soviet Union wasn't to make profit, it was to spread Communism! Pepsi is actually a paramilitary revolutionary organization whose front is a soda company, the bottling plant in the motherland is actually an arms factory. In our timeline, their plans never came through due to the collapse of the Soviet Union. But Comrade Romanov in the year 2000 will execute the final plan for world revolution; all the Pepsi workers will seize both the means of production and the essential nucleus of local and national governments and disarm any military forces who might oppose them. This will be combined with a Soviet invasion across the world. And with the offer of free Pepsi, everyone will be content and no resistance will last more than an estimated few months. And that's how Communism was finally achieved!

Status
Not open for further replies.