AHC: Sanity Options to secure Malaya in WW2

For Naval assets there were several options.
Sending Force Z was probably the worst of them all.
Big enough to be a significant force, not big enough to win. So pretty well guaranteed to get hammered.

Option 1: Don't send anything, then it cant get sunk. (not a great option, could be used in conjunction with a general withdrawal to defensible lines strategy. Not politically tenable, but better than OTL with hindsight).

Option 2: Send a battlefleet big enough to win. Needs CV(s), better admiral, more ships all round. Probably not doable given commitments elsewhere.

Option 3: Identify what the Japanese are bad at, and go for that. Especially if it can use assets not needed elsewhere.
ASW: Submarine warfare on convoys and shipping across the south china seas. You wont get them all, or anything close, but enough to cause problems, especially logistics problems. (The Japanese were rubbish at logistics as well, and very short of supplies by the time they got to SIngapore in OTL.
Mine warfare: Any old ship can carry and lay mines in a rear area, such as off shore khota bharu and borneo before dec 7th, Kuantan up to mid December, close to Singapore before january 42, on the malay west coast, approaches to Palembang, around the Andamans.
Air at night: replenish the minefields at night, using obsolescent or semi-obsolescent aircraft, e.g. the vildebeests and blenheims in theatre OTL. Not enough to stop them on its own, but together with submarines enough to make a difference.
Coastal patrols: MTG's, especially on the west coast. The Japanese had no naval presence on the west coast before the fall of Singapore. That would remove, or make very dangerous, sea borne outflanking moves.

On land, other than train, train, train there is a lot of equipment that was no longer useful in the west that could have gone to Malaya.
Other than the Hurricanes, 18pdrs, Covenanters, WW1 AA guns, already mentioned - the Boys Anti-tank rifle was useless in Europe or North Afirca, but would have gone through Japanese tank armour like a brick through wet tissue paper.
Of the 1 to 3 - 1 is the easiest! 2 would be the best but 3 the most practical if they could get their shit together - especially as a 'not actually a warzone yet' measure

A quick littoral force that can be used was to be found at Hong Kong - where it was effectively useless as far as the wider war was concerned

3 old light S class DDs - at least one that had been converted into a minelayer* (convert the other 2) - Thracian, Scout and Thanet* (Scout and Thracian left Hong Kong on the 8th Dec) - have them be prepared to make high speed runs to suspected landing areas of off Thai ports to lay mine fields

2 Insect Gunboats (there is you West coast forces) Cicala and Moth

HMS Tern - a light gun boat (join the Insects)

6 MTBs of the 2nd MTB Squadron (shift to Kota Bharu on the North East coast)

Then Reinforce with additional Coastal forces MTBs and MGBs from the UK or elsewhere.

For Naval assets there were several options.
Sending Force Z was probably the worst of them all.
Big enough to be a significant force, not big enough to win. So pretty well guaranteed to get hammered.

Option 1: Don't send anything, then it cant get sunk. (not a great option, could be used in conjunction with a general withdrawal to defensible lines strategy. Not politically tenable, but better than OTL with hindsight).

Option 2: Send a battlefleet big enough to win. Needs CV(s), better admiral, more ships all round. Probably not doable given commitments elsewhere.

Option 3: Identify what the Japanese are bad at, and go for that. Especially if it can use assets not needed elsewhere.
ASW: Submarine warfare on convoys and shipping across the south china seas. You wont get them all, or anything close, but enough to cause problems, especially logistics problems. (The Japanese were rubbish at logistics as well, and very short of supplies by the time they got to SIngapore in OTL).
Mine warfare: Any old ship can carry and lay mines in a rear area, such as off shore Khota Bharu and Borneo before dec 7th, Kuantan up to mid December, close to Singapore before january 42, on the Malay west coast, approaches to Palembang, around the Andamans.
Air at night: replenish the minefields at night, using obsolescent or semi-obsolescent aircraft, e.g. the Vildebeests and Blenheims in theatre OTL. Not enough to stop them on its own, but together with submarines enough to make a difference.
Coastal patrols: MTG's, especially on the west coast. The Japanese had no naval presence on the west coast before the fall of Singapore. That would remove, or make very dangerous, sea borne outflanking moves.

On land, other than train, train, train there is a lot of equipment that was no longer useful in the west that could have gone to Malaya.
Other than the Hurricanes, 18pdrs, Covenanters, WW1 AA guns, already mentioned - the Boys Anti-tank rifle was useless in Europe or North Africa, but would have gone through Japanese tank armour like a brick through wet tissue paper.

For the AT role I was thinking about sending old WW1 37mm Trench guns. Even with their puny warhead I think they would have been effective.

Would one of those old WW1 37mm "Trench Guns" firing it's solid shot have been able to penetrate any of the Japanese tanks used in the Malaya campaign. From my recollection they were mostly pretty light tanks almost "Tankettes". I remember reading that a normal .50BMG fired by a M2 could penetrate most Japanese armor at at least a few hundred yards. So would the old puny 37mm "Trench Guns" have been effective if properly used?

I know the US and others still had a sizable number in storage but they were never used for anything but training aids or scrapped. So would they have been a viable weapon?

marathag

Banned
Would one of those old WW1 37mm "Trench Guns" firing it's solid shot have been able to penetrate any of the Japanese tanks used in the Malaya campaign
The 37mm M1916 had 12mm penetration at 100m, with 90° plate
The Type 89 Medium had 17mm, and lower hull was slightly sloped, 15mm elsewhere
But enough for mobility damage, but not much more

That is a misunderstanding of the geographical and command imperatives. It would be the British and the Dutch who redeploy forward and north to the South China Sea. The Americans fight from where they are. That includes the Philippine Commonwealth forces since these were held to be national guard formations and would be called to the colors as soon as war was declared. The national guard goes where it is sent. Not like the British dominions at all.
Sorry I misunderstood what you were suggesting, but moving the British forward from Malaya (not to mention the Dutch from the NEI) is even less likely and even less desirable. Remember, the US wasn't in the war and refused to make any precommitment to their actions if Japan attacked the British or Dutch until very later in the day. The British and Dutch might have been willing to reinforce the Philippines in return for the guarantee they were desperate for. It wasn't an allied mistake not establishing greater coordination, it was a US mistake.

I don't think concentrating all forces on the Philippines makes sense though. It is entirely possible Japan says great, occupies Malaya and the NEI unopposed and then starves the Philippines out. The further forward the allies deploy the easier it is to encircle them so the more forces are needed to cover their lines of communications, forward deployment without significant reinforcements from outside the theatre is a recipe for a quicker disaster.

As for the claim that the Philippines forces would fight where they were told by the US, this definitely wasn't true at the start of the war. The idea of deploying these understrength, poorly trained units in another other than the defence of the Philippines is totally unrealistic (and isn't needed in your plan in any case).

Finally, I know the Japanese were operating on a shoestring, but so were the Allied defences, and the Japanese had more powerful naval and air forces in the theatre, giving them the initiative and the ability to isolate any allied concentration of land forces that they couldn't quickly defeat.

The 37mm M1916 had 12mm penetration at 100m, with 90° plate
The Type 89 Medium had 17mm, and lower hull was slightly sloped, 15mm elsewhere
But enough for mobility damage, but not much more

For the type 89 is that frontal or all around? Considering the guns light size perhaps you could set up small ambush teams to either fire at the rear or sides from concealment or perhaps jury rig a donated/ commandeered local civilian car or truck.

Still kind of seems better then nothing.

Or perhaps modify old small caliber RN QF guns with a land carriage or fired from a truck. Something like the old Hotchkiss 37mm-47mm Anti torpedo boat guns?

Riain

Banned
Any officer with half a ball could have overcome that obstacle.

Possibly or even probably, or a better governor might not have been so obstructing.

Funnily enough Brooke Popham did a good job as governor of Kenya 1936-39 during the Italian and Ethiopian crisis, preparing Kenya against the threat this war would spill over. If he did the same in Malaya from 1939 it would provide a good basis for whomever commanded the military forces.

The biggest change would be to have the belief that the Japanese could actually pull it off at all. In the 30s the Japanese (and Asians in general) were viewed by western powers as ”less than equal”. The possibility of the fall of Malaysia, the Philippines, and the attack on PH, were about as ASB as you could get back when something could actually have been done to prevent it.

ric350

Not quite sure about the level of certainty given to various outcomes.

Surely the question is the following

A. What do the British need to commit to keep lines of communication open and thus the theatre in play.

B. What is the force loss in men, material and above all shipping for the Japanese that makes the theatre a drain on the Japanese war effort and thus a net strategic win for the Allies.

Then we work backwards from there for various scenarios.

1. Keeping a toe hold Until the general advance - preventing Japanese breakout into Indian Ocean and usage of Singapore as a base of operations.
2. Blocking the enemy advance - victory by stalemate - a meatgrinder - British Stalingrad.
3. Effective victories that throw the enemy back and bring forward OTL operations.

It just seems we always have one side in these threads being a dug up golf course and a couple of crap tanks will send the Japanese packing vs. if the British don't enact a 52 point omniscient SIOP where if they fail to take four centres of gravity the Japanese pull off a flawless victory, teleport behind Singapore with a katana and "eh nothing personal kid" even a spirited committed entrenched defence.

I'm sure between these two poles there's a solution where the British can sink enough Japanese shipping and kill enough Japanese invasion forces to pull it off.

marathag

Banned
For the type 89 is that frontal or all around? Considering the guns light size perhaps you could set up small ambush teams to either fire at the rear or sides from concealment or perhaps jury rig a donated/ commandeered local civilian car or truck.

Or perhaps modify old small caliber RN QF guns with a land carriage or fired from a truck. Something like the old Hotchkiss 37mm-47mm Anti torpedo boat guns?
17mm frontal, some of the Turret, 15mm everywhere else
18 pdr with Solid shot.
When not doing that AT duty, can fire HE

McPherson

Banned
Sorry I misunderstood what you were suggesting, but moving the British forward from Malaya (not to mention the Dutch from the NEI) is even less likely and even less desirable. Remember, the US wasn't in the war and refused to make any precommitment to their actions if Japan attacked the British or Dutch until very later in the day. The British and Dutch might have been willing to reinforce the Philippines in return for the guarantee they were desperate for. It wasn't an allied mistake not establishing greater coordination, it was a US mistake.
Considering what the USN was doing at the time and what American forces were being staged into the Philippine Islands from Jan 1941 onward I would respectively disagree. US naval and air forces were in a an almost warlike reinforcement schedule. It was the British mistake to misinform the Americans during the ABC conferences during that crucial period. When the Americans discovered it, the prevarication about the Battle of the Atlantic and the true state of British situation in Southeast Asia, it was perhaps not wise of them to overlook the British duplicity, but then came the Southern Road and further British lies and what especially happened at Manila 6 December 1941 local time, when Phillips refused good Hart advice to fall back on Sri Lanka. One forgets that little piece of contretemps. One was competent and able, the other was an utter fool. Both were obstinate and I suspect (Andrew Boyd is my source; though he does not come out and so state in his thesis on Eastern Command.) that Phillips might have been an America-phoebe. I know Hart hated him at first sight. In addition, I doubt there was an Allied command, aside from Stalin and his gangsters, more deluded or out of touch with reality that the fools of Eastern Command, a situation Hart knew from his own dealings with those buffoons. To be fair, ADM Hart also held his own co-joint commanders, MacArthur, Brett, Withers, Brereton, Short, Kimmel and those fools in Pearl Harbor (Kimmel's crew) and the fools in Washington (Stark and Leahy) in equal dour contempt.
I don't think concentrating all forces on the Philippines makes sense though. It is entirely possible Japan says great, occupies Malaya and the NEI unopposed and then starves the Philippines out. The further forward the allies deploy the easier it is to encircle them so the more forces are needed to cover their lines of communications, forward deployment without significant reinforcements from outside the theatre is a recipe for a quicker disaster.
Sea Map. The map is an air force view of the problem, but note the South China Sea (star) and imagine 50 submarines (29 American 15 Dutch and 6 British boats.) operating under a competent naval staff, (US Asiatic Fleet, after Withers is sacked.) The Americans, British and Dutch have 6 cruisers, and 19 destroyers and unfortunately not enough mine warfare or torpedo craft to operate in area, but if someone had paid adequate attention (to ADM Hart.)), one can build or modify a lot of small craft for sea denial purposes. That would be a serious problem for Terauchi and his assorted fools to contemplate for the Southern Road. I still think Matador (south Thailand) and at least an attempt at Southern IndoChina (Mekong Delta specifically) is worth the force projection risk on land. Keep IndoChina out of Japanese hands.

1619656914696.png

As for the claim that the Philippines forces would fight where they were told by the US, this definitely wasn't true at the start of the war. The idea of deploying these understrength, poorly trained units in another other than the defence of the Philippines is totally unrealistic (and isn't needed in your plan in any case).
For defense of the air garrison on Luzon and for power projection, they most certainly are.
Finally, I know the Japanese were operating on a shoestring, but so were the Allied defences, and the Japanese had more powerful naval and air forces in the theatre, giving them the initiative and the ability to isolate any allied concentration of land forces that they couldn't quickly defeat.
The US can build B-17s and PT boats in a year. Just need the "will".
Or as fire support for Russian style tank hunting teams. The Malaysian terrain is tailor made for infantry ambush of tanks. Why it was not done, is because the British, who knew how, did not train for it in region under the notion that it was "impassible tank country". Always wondered after France 1940, how anybody, British, could be so stupid about that assumption. There is nothing that is impassible to a tank as long as human beings are there to engineer the means to pass it through.
Insert antitank rock joke here.
A good idea; the British were trying for 2 pounder portees in North Africa, and the Americans, after failing with the anti-tank rock, (France 1940 panic.), were trying to plonk a 37mm AT gun on anything with wheels and tracks. They would successfully mount the French 75 on anything with wheels and tracks by June 1942.
Possibly or even probably, or a better governor might not have been so obstructing.
Stenton Thomas was a bigot. Racism clouds good judgement. He was not the only Allied racist *(Sutherland, Willoughby, Wilkes, Brereton, Brett and Wainwright, but not so much MacArthur.). For those who do not think racism was a major problem with British and American planning and execution...

How Racism, Arrogance, and Incompetence Led to Pearl Harbor...​

The Japanese built world class equipment and trained hard. Just the 1942 horror show of the F4F Wildcat pilots trying to fight the A6M Zero China veterans revisited, as I read John Ludstrum's "The First Team", again reminds me that one may have the best trained aviation on Earth, but one still gets slaughtered if one underestimates the ability and intelligence and the technical superiority of one's foes.

Lesson Learned? If one prepares, as if the enemy is better than one is, and manages to figure out coping methods to overcome enemy training and technical superiority as the USN finally did; then when the enemy falls short of expectations, the opportunity to crush him will present itself. The Japanese, with their own racism, could not conceive a situation in which the Americans would be imaginative enough to find those coping method (exploits). But then the Japanese held the Chinese in contempt, and look how that turned out for them. (Korean War lesson learned for the Americans, too. Too bad they forgot it in time to be beaten in Vietnam.). Racism clouds the reason, clouds the judgement, and leads to outcomes which are "negative" in the PRACTICAL as well as the moral sense. Show me a "moral" army with practical realistic leaders, and I will show you a deadly effective one.
Funnily enough Brooke Popham did a good job as governor of Kenya 1936-39 during the Italian and Ethiopian crisis, preparing Kenya against the threat this war would spill over. If he did the same in Malaya from 1939 it would provide a good basis for whomever commanded the military forces.
Do not know what went wrong with him, but he historically folded like a ripped tent in December 1941. He was useless.
The biggest change would be to have the belief that the Japanese could actually pull it off at all. In the 30s the Japanese (and Asians in general) were viewed by western powers as ”less than equal”. The possibility of the fall of Malaysia, the Philippines, and the attack on PH, were about as ASB as you could get back when something could actually have been done to prevent it.
See my previous remarks. 1942 was a bitter learning experience for all of the allies. Racism did and does not work. Kinetics (effective ones) and outsmarting that brilliant and tough other fellow was/is the only option.
Not quite sure about the level of certainty given to various outcomes.

Surely the question is the following

A. What do the British need to commit to keep lines of communication open and thus the theatre in play.
Fleet in being at Sri Lanka is the only British option for Force Z, while forces in place have to be integrated into a combined ABDA under competent direction and planning (ORANGE) BEFORE the balloon ascends. The desert army in North Africa and the Suez Canal is the highest priority after the UK itself. Even Russia comes behind North Africa. With the Japanese naval threat, there is only one correct solution. Fight them where inferior numbers and means can win. Shoreline dictates that choice.
B. What is the force loss in men, material and above all shipping for the Japanese that makes the theatre a drain on the Japanese war effort and thus a net strategic win for the Allies.
Kill tankers (AOs). Kill troop transports (AKs). Go for bottleneck kills. 60 AOs and 40 AKs and the Southern Road stops cold. Hence... submarines.
Then we work backwards from there for various scenarios.
As I have done.
1. Keeping a toe hold Until the general advance - preventing Japanese breakout into Indian Ocean and usage of Singapore as a base of operations.
2. Blocking the enemy advance - victory by stalemate - a meatgrinder - British Stalingrad.
3. Effective victories that throw the enemy back and bring forward OTL operations.

It just seems we always have one side in these threads being a dug up golf course and a couple of crap tanks will send the Japanese packing vs. if the British don't enact a 52 point omniscient SIOP where if they fail to take four centres of gravity the Japanese pull off a flawless victory, teleport behind Singapore with a katana and "eh nothing personal kid" even a spirited committed entrenched defence.
As I have suggested (^^^), use the terrain, existent forces and ditch the attitudes and adopt realistic courses of action. One of those courses is to write Singapore off and make the stand where it makes sense.
I'm sure between these two poles there's a solution where the British can sink enough Japanese shipping and kill enough Japanese invasion forces to pull it off.
Never happen if the South China Sea is not denied and it is not the British who can do it. It has to be the Dutch and Americans. The British should plan accordingly.

Last edited:
Would one of those old WW1 37mm "Trench Guns" firing it's solid shot have been able to penetrate any of the Japanese tanks used in the Malaya campaign. From my recollection they were mostly pretty light tanks almost "Tankettes". I remember reading that a normal .50BMG fired by a M2 could penetrate most Japanese armor at at least a few hundred yards. So would the old puny 37mm "Trench Guns" have been effective if properly used?
Yes, those Japanese light tanks are very vulnerable to larger small arms caliber. However, it did perform well in the Philippines agains the M3 Stuarts. What tanks did the British operate at this period?
The Type 89 I-Go has a good track record in China and the Philippines but once the tied turn, all Japanese tanks were sitting ducks.

Yes, those Japanese light tanks are very vulnerable to larger small arms caliber. However, it did perform well in the Philippines agains the M3 Stuarts. What tanks did the British operate at this period?

The Type 89 I-Go has a good track record in China and the Philippines but once the tied turn, all Japanese tanks were sitting ducks.

Admittedly the Chinese had very few tanks especially early in the war and in the Phillipines the US didn't have many and was badly organized. It was great for gunning down large numbers of poorly trained KMT conscripts who'd be lucky to have a rifle and no AT or air support of any kind.

.... I would respectively disagree....
Fine we disagree, although you do seem to be saying that if reinforced ("The US can build B-17s and PT boats in a year. Just need the "will",") or given better equipment (mines & torpedo craft) the allies can hold, which I don't think anyone would disagree with

Even if one assumes a better performing force defeats the Japanese on land in Malaya, it still leaves it surrounded by Japanese successes in the DEI etc. and an Ocean away from the nearest support in India. On land preserving Burma makes more strategic sense.

The true defence has to be disputing control of the South China Sea.

For the air forces stopping bombers is not the priority (although obviously a good thing in itself) but rather spotting and effectively attacking any Japanese seaborne invasion which means plenty of long range reconnaissance backed up by meaningful anti shipping strike capability supported by fighter escort where feasible. The prime targets being the troop carrying merchant vessels.

A helpful POD would be the occupation of French Indochina before the Japanese do.

In context however, Britain was approaching the fourth year of the war and fully committed elsewhere and the Dutch had lost the home country. Where will these resources come from and what will not be done with them that was being done IOTL? Looking back with 21st century eyes the only slack is taking them from UK home defence for the army. The Royal Navy is Too short of carriers to devote many more warships to the theatre without air cover And rose using the war the Royal Air Force has too few suitable aeroplanes although they could transfer the UK shipping strike forces to Malaya without desperate consequences if only there existed long range fighters to escort them.

At the end of the day the Dutch were irredemiably weak due to the loss of the Netherlands and Britain was too extended prosecuting the war elsewhere. At the time, long enough before the Japanese attack to put effective changes in place, Britain was far too actively involved elsewhere to spare such resources. An understandable gamble was made which was lost. At best a change in policy could have saved Burma and continue to hold a large Japanese army engaged. The largest Japanese army engaged outside China in the whole war. This could have saved a year in the war there and liberated Malaya in 1944 or 45.

Riain

Banned
not know what went wrong with him, but he historically folded like a ripped tent in December 1941. He was useless.

Yeah, apparently a decent Governor for preparing a country against a threat doesn't translate to good military command in the field.

TomNolan

Banned
Interesting thoughts. I am only delving deeper into the study of the situation in Malaysia. Recently, I often hear about Malaysia in the media and on social networks. I want to understand in more detail.

McPherson

Banned
Fine we disagree, although you do seem to be saying that if reinforced ("The US can build B-17s and PT boats in a year. Just need the "will",") or given better equipment (mines & torpedo craft) the allies can hold, which I don't think anyone would disagree with
1. Reinforcement with proper sea and air power was only possible for one of the three allies. Those were the Americans. They were the only reserve force available. All discussion of British "reinforcements" is frankly not possible with the European war in progress. That includes naval assets. The forces present that the British committed was all that could or should have been spared. My opinion is that Force Z was risked in a foolish gesture is well known. The Singapore Bastion Defense never made any sense in the first place, but as an option it ceased to be operative once Hitler's regime invaded Poland.
Even if one assumes a better performing force defeats the Japanese on land in Malaya, it still leaves it surrounded by Japanese successes in the DEI etc. and an Ocean away from the nearest support in India. On land preserving Burma makes more strategic sense.
2. Burma into Thailand (Matador North) is a tough evolution.
The true defence has to be disputing control of the South China Sea.
3. Refer to map upthread.
For the air forces stopping bombers is not the priority (although obviously a good thing in itself) but rather spotting and effectively attacking any Japanese seaborne invasion which means plenty of long range reconnaissance backed up by meaningful anti shipping strike capability supported by fighter escort where feasible. The prime targets being the troop carrying merchant vessels.
4. Interesting argument for RIKKO, but how? And with what? The RAF lineup is not optimal.
Unacceptable.
Too few and needs flattops under it.
Not enough of them and no time in service to learn how to9 use them.
Flying garbage trucks.
Underpowered, too few, with poor maneuverability and needs a flattop under it.
More garbage.
Underpowered, too few, with poor maneuverability and needs a flattop under it.
Against Zeros and Japanese flak, it is a deathtrap worse than a Devastator.
Flying garbage.
Good recon and ASW bird, but for anti-ship strike, it is marginal.
Good Bird. TACAIR useful.
Excellent bird. The British do not know how to use it properly.
Garbage in the air.
Garbage in the air.
Flying junkheap.
Good Bomber. Sort of like the Mitchell.
Flying deathtrap.
Unacceptable.
A helpful POD would be the occupation of French Indochina before the Japanese do.
Madagascar type operation, ASAP. Preferably right after the Invasion Scare fades and when the Berlin Maniac suddenly has his hands full in Russia. Come to think of it, Madagascar should have happened at the same time along with New Caledonia. Clean the boards and tidy up the Vichy French. Saves political problems later.
In context however, Britain was approaching the fourth year of the war and fully committed elsewhere and the Dutch had lost the home country. Where will these resources come from and what will not be done with them that was being done IOTL? Looking back with 21st century eyes the only slack is taking them from UK home defence for the army. The Royal Navy is Too short of carriers to devote many more warships to the theatre without air cover And rose using the war the Royal Air Force has too few suitable aeroplanes although they could transfer the UK shipping strike forces to Malaya without desperate consequences if only there existed long range fighters to escort them.
See my previous comments. Americans or nothing. And if it is the Americans, then they have to call the shots, as they will.
At the end of the day the Dutch were irredemiably weak due to the loss of the Netherlands and Britain was too extended prosecuting the war elsewhere. At the time, long enough before the Japanese attack to put effective changes in place, Britain was far too actively involved elsewhere to spare such resources. An understandable gamble was made which was lost. At best a change in policy could have saved Burma and continue to hold a large Japanese army engaged. The largest Japanese army engaged outside China in the whole war. This could have saved a year in the war there and liberated Malaya in 1944 or 45.
The Burma defense is possible in 1941 only if the eastern Indian railroads and road net are improved in the 1930s. As a side note, the British Raj was incompetent in administration, to the point of criminal imperialist colonialist imbecility during that same decade. India should have been prepared for home rule in the 1930s. The British almost lost the world war for the allies globally because of their criminal misrule there. The Malay Settlements, in any case, were write-offs, once the Japanese got past the Philippine Islands and into IndoChina.

Madagascar type operation, ASAP. Preferably right after the Invasion Scare fades and when the Berlin Maniac suddenly has his hands full in Russia. Come to think of it, Madagascar should have happened at the same time along with New Caledonia. Clean the boards and tidy up the Vichy French. Saves political problems later.
Also @yulzari
There was a 'budget' option: allow Vichy France to reinforce French Indochina in 1940. The Royal Navy stopped several attempts by the French to send planes and land forces to the region. At that point even the Germans were against a Japanese takeover of the colony. If the UK starts helping FIC instead of - understandably - treating it like an enemy the colony might have been able to withstand the Japanese pressure.

McPherson

Banned
Also @yulzari
There was a 'budget' option: allow Vichy France to reinforce French Indochina in 1940. The Royal Navy stopped several attempts by the French to send planes and land forces to the region. At that point even the Germans were against a Japanese takeover of the colony. If the UK starts helping FIC instead of - understandably - treating it like an enemy the colony might have been able to withstand the Japanese pressure.
If I were the British, I could not take the risk after all the naval neutralization operations soured the French on British motivations and attitudes. The payback in kind temptation is too high. See French New Caledonia for an example.

If I were the Americans, I would not trust Petain or his supporters further than one could shoot them or him. They sure did not trust Darlan when they finally got a hold of him. And they will have experience with Vichyites in New Caledonia that makes Vichy French IndoChina treachery kind of predictable.

Marder makes plenty of reference to racist ideas in his Old Friends New Enemies, vol I. So easy to unlearn the lessons learnt only a generation earlier. Plenty of overseas observers in Korea in 1904 that would have seen Japanese logistics, infantry tactics and infiltration in action that completely mastered the Russians and Pakenham was with the fleet through to Tsushima. They may have possibly derived the wrong lessons from Nogi's incompetent performance at Port Arthur but otherwise Japanese efficiency and using a small force to big effect against a larger foe was there to see