Blacks retain political control of one southern US state after Reconstruction?

The end of Reconstruction, unfortunately, saw the antebellum white political class restored to power throughout the South, ending the brief flowering of black political influence. Obviously, it would take some big changes to avert this entirely.

However, there's a scenario that I think has potential: what if that hadn't been universal? What if there had been one Southern state where blacks achieved a sufficient majority that even with the KKK running around, black politicians were still able to win elections and retain control of state institutions?

First of all, there's the question of which state. I think the most likely state would have been South Carolina, as it had a black majority for quite some time. I don't know enough about the specific conditions to suggest a specific POD, but let's say that for one reason or another, enough blacks from elsewhere in the South move into South Carolina (and enough whites move out) that by 1877 (when Reconstruction ended) the state population is well over 2/3 black. This only accelerates once Reconstruction ends, as South Carolina becomes a safe haven for blacks.

Leaving aside the impact of South Carolina being a Republican stronghold for decades, there would be a persistent black presence in Congress. I doubt this would make Southern segregationists hesitate even for a moment, but the regular rancor and insults directed at South Carolina's Congressmen would create a persistent current of sympathy for them. South Carolina's borders would be tense, with Klansmen skirmishing with black militias (often backed up by law enforcement from both sides of the border). And the wealthy businessmen of Charleston could be major supporters for the civil rights movement.

There would probably be a movement to make South Carolina's status as "the black state" official. Georgia and North Carolina in particular would view South Carolina as subversive, and might shift towards trying to expel their blacks entirely. And once the Civil Rights movement gets going, South Carolina will be its natural headquarters.

I’m afraid this scenario is ASB. Southern whites were determined after the war to smash black political
power & showed that they would literally stop @ nothing- including cold-blooded murder- to achieve this
goal. In no Southern US state did they feel any differently- & then kept on thinking, feeling, & acting that
way all the way until the 1960’s, a hundred years after the Civil War’s end.

I’m afraid this scenario is ASB. Southern whites were determined after the war to smash black political
power & showed that they would literally stop @ nothing- including cold-blooded murder- to achieve this
goal. In no Southern US state did they feel any differently- & then kept on thinking, feeling, & acting that
It is possible if the military occupation is longer and the US government try break up the huge estates from the planters and Ex confederate soldiers and sympatizers and officials to the poor whites that are pro union and neutral baout the war and freedmen. Maybe some kind of communities with local militias.. It is possible to all southern states if longer militaru occupation
Ideally land should have been confiscated from the largest planters who were arch secessionists, higher ranking confederate officers, or members of the Confederate government. Divide the land up not just to freedmen but also to poor whites willing to sign something like the Ironclad Oath, Union army Veterans, "Carpetbaggers" from the North, and even immigrants from certain countries.

Have a very heavy Federal government military presence and rapid response plans. Form the Freedmen (and those Union army veterans and poor whites willing to become members of these communities) into fortified Kibbutz style settlements with a large and well trained militia composed of residents with the fortified walls containing the housing and as much of the warehouses and other business buildings as possible). The Kibbutzes are then surrounded by the individual plots belonging to individual freedmen/their families, along with the Union Veterans, Carpetbaggers, and poor southern Unionist whites. Perhaps with some sort of optional labor sharing arrangement where residents of the Kibbutzes agree to sign an agreement where they will share labor on their individual land plots and pool their money for communal improvements and improvements to individual land plots (with agreements in place that stipulate that the improvements must be paid back within a certain period of time or have the produce shared communally.
As this guy says https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/ideal-american-reconstruction.509007/#post-21857988

I think it could work with more solidly black-majority MS/SC. The Feds were always going to lose interest but with state leadership more securely in Republican hands, the state militia could be a tool for suppressing night riders etc. Once the system was sufficiently established, whites would either leave or make their peace. Remember that the Va Readjusters and the NC Fusionists were both wiling to ally with blacks, not (I assume) because they had deeply held feelings about equality but because it would help them win. Having four or so southern senators would also mean the Republicans would have to keep giving lip service to voting rights etc which could change things on the federal level.
These were my thoughts a few years ago. I'm sure whites wouldn't accept it out of the goodness of their hearts but with a little bit more time for Federal occupation (a couple more years max, there's no changing the broader context) and especially a functioning state militia, some of the Pitchfork Bens of the world get themselves killed, some folks leave and many pretend to do what Longstreet actually did and change their minds.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
. . . Georgia and North Carolina in particular would view South Carolina as subversive, and might shift towards trying to expel their blacks entirely. And once the Civil Rights movement gets going, South Carolina will be its natural headquarters.
If it's only one state and Reconstruction ends per OTL... I doubt the "black state" will last long to be honest.
But fascinating if it does.

South Carolina is your best bet. Had a majority African American population, had the strongest African American state government, had decent African American federal representation, and was the last Southern state to give into Democrat control post reconstruction.

African Americans could continue to control the state, but it would require a willingness to fight, and it would get bloody.

I think it's worth mentioning that Louisiana is another viable option for this, although it would be tied up in a politically and economically dominant Creole class with a fair amount of differences to most free Blacks in the state. Prior to the war, 47% of the population was enslaved, and aside from that it had the largest population of Free Blacks in the US. New Orleans was a vital port for the US, was held by Union troops for the majority of the war, and had that Creole class with a head start on most Black Americans in developing generational wealth and political connections. Louisiana in the 1870s, while under Reconstruction, was remarkably progressive in race politics; there were desegregated schools, interracial marriage was legalized, and most importantly, there were protections for Black Americans to vote and serve on juries. Maintaining that political power, given the population of Louisiana, certainly seems to be in the realm of possibility.

South Carolina is your best bet, but there's no way that the fight would not be bloody -- and, frankly, I'm inclined to think that Northerners are going to be less than eager about supporting ex-slaves...

Oh, it would definitely require bloodshed. But if the black majority can hold on to power, then they can use state institutions to defend themselves. They would likely be ruthless in prosecuting the KKK and similar organizations, which might deny white supremacists a power base.

North Carolina is your safest bet. In OTL it was there that the alliance between rural, populist whites, carpet-bagging Northern folks, and Black voters remained the strongest and most viable. It is that trifecta that you need to engender, not some sort of monolithic Black state, that is impossible. You need to get some whites on board as well.

Prehapse if you has a more black oriented frontier settlment spear headed as a type of comprimise on reperations (probably something along the lines of it only being west of the Mississippi river) then you could have a larger black presence in the wild west (I am thinking anywhere between Texas and the transcontinental railroud)

Last edited:
What you need is a state government dominated by Blacks which empowers a powerful Black militia unwilling to give any ground. Then, after a few thousand people die in constant minor battles, skirmishes, revenge killings etc, the white racists begin to move out into neighborhing states