What would really happen with Hitler's grave?

Historically Hitler's body after suicide was disposed of or destroyed at an unknown location due to fears that if grave was known it could turn into a shrine for neo-nazis.

But would that really be the case, historically in middle of cold war, and nowadays in Germany that abhorrs nationalism of any kind and in which everyone has a mobile phone and camera to record you being there? Would there be guards posted constantly? Would he eventually be relocated or turned into a museum? If the body is not destroyed what are your thoughts on how it's handled?

I thought his remains were burned by the Germans (Nazi's) to prevent it being put on display in Moscow.

If the Germans are able to bury it properly or the Western Allies get it then you have a problem with doing something. The Soviets get ahold of it and Uncle Joe will want it to be identified 8 ways to Sunday and then it will be put in a crematorium, burned and then the ashes scattered, oh wait that's what basically happened.

Stalin is not going to let any thing be there for Hitler, not even a simple gravestone or plaque.

The city where it's in would utterly despise it, just like Braunau am Inn despises Hitler tourists. Hitler probably wouldn't even have a grave, just a marker warning about the evil of the Nazis and intolerance.

Pulaski, Tennessee, birthplace of the Ku Klux Klan, had an interesting solution to the problem of annual KKK marches in the 80s meant to protest Martin Luther King Day. The people who owned the building the Klan was founded in, which had a plaque describing the significance of the place in a neutral fashion (much as the Civil War plaques scattered throughout the state), turned the plaque backwards. Apparently, the Klan marches mostly ceased.

These towns and cities don't like notoriety and will find ways to avoid it.

A rally of 10 Neo-Nazis on his birthday, outnumbered 10 to one by Antifascists, and 100 to one by cops. And tourists taking selfies.

Mussolini's body location was actually kept a secret for nearly 10 years until 1957 when the Italian government agreed to return the body to Mussolini's widow in order for the PM to get the support of the far right. Predappio where Mussolini's tomb is is actually the site of a neo fascist shrine. I suppose something similar would happen to Hitler's grave.

If there would be Hitler's grave, it certainly would act as shrine of neo-nazis like tomb of Mussolini is shrine for Italian neo-fascists and Franco's tomb is shrine of Spanis far-right wing. Didn't Hess' grave too became some kind of shrine for neo-nazis and then it was decided that grave and his remants should be destroyed?

So only reasonable solution is total destruction of Hitler's body and grave.

I doubt anyone would be willing to do anything other than what we saw IOTL; utterly destroy it and pour what's left unnoted in a river.

Crazy Boris

Banned
I figure if the Soviets hasn’t done whatever they did to it, his body would have just been tossed in a ditch, maybe burned to be unrecognizable, and forgotten. Pretty much no one except die-hard Nazis would have wanted to keep it around, and by war’s end most of them were dead or captured.

The only way I could see him getting an actual grave is in an axis victory scenario or if he dies in 1943 or something before the allies start closing in on Germany, and in that case whatever marker will probably be removed and the body relocated to an unmarked location or destroyed as soon as the Reich inevitably falls.

Geon

Donor
I don't know how reliable this is, but according to a National Geographic documentary, one KGB Colonel after the Cold War ended said that he and his unit had actually discovered Hitler's body.

According to the colonel his unit - An NKVD unit at the time - was tasked with finding Hitler dead or alive. They eventually found the partially cremated remains of Hitler and Eva Braun in the shell hole where they had been laid. They were also the unit that was responsible for discovering the bodies of Joseph Goebbels and his family.

The bodies of both the Hitlers and the Goebbels were taken to a military hospital outside Berlin and were autopsied there. The identities were confirmed. Now here things take a bit of an incredible turn-the unit requested instructions from Moscow and were told to "hold them" until further notice.

Thereafter the unit was forced to take the corpses with them, and bury them in various places throughout Eastern Europe where they were stationed. They were last buried underneath the asphalt outside the garage of the KGB unit's offices in a town in East Germany. In 1971 they sent another letter to Moscow telling them what they had and again asking for instructions. This time they were told to destroy the bodies completely - which the colonel implied was done.

How true this is? I have no idea. However, investigating the driveway outside the former KGB offices did reveal something had been buried there a while back. This was in the mid 90's.

Any chance of keeping the skull as a museum exhibit or something similar?

Which museum even would want Hitler's skull? And there would be always risk that museum would be visited by neo-nazis or they try steal his skull.

And it is quiet unusual keep relatively recently dead Europeans remnants in museums anyway.

Mussolini's grave, by way of reference, is a Fascist shrine and surrounded by feuding families of Fascist memorabilia sellers who fight over the best spots.

So yes, Germany might want to avoid that.

Which museum even would want Hitler's skull? And there would be always risk that museum would be visited by neo-nazis or they try steal his skull.

And it is quiet unusual keep relatively recently dead Europeans remnants in museums anyway.

Or vandalized and destroyed by Jews or some other of his victims and haters.

In Hungary the grave of our last communist dictator János Kádár was vandalized repeatedly before finally some of the vandals unearthened it and stole some of the remains - their whereabout is still unnown. Since then surveillance cameras were installed. And he was one of the more popular dictators.

I dont think Hitlers grave would far any better - it would need constant guarding or would be continually vandalized or destroyed.