The Empire Parnell Built

Unfortunately, yes. Although I think the relative levels are better than OTL, especially in the US.
Things are slowly improving even OTL. Here it looks like the baseline is higher at least. Presumably the FA for eg were less unhelpful....

Things are slowly improving even OTL. Here it looks like the baseline is higher at least. Presumably the FA for eg were less unhelpful....
Yes. TTL women’s cricket is held back in the British Empire by a general patriarchal sense until about the 1990s that professionalism in women’s sports is unseemly. The US league is helped by the TTL equivalent of Title IX and if you can get a contract there then you can have a pretty good career

United Kingdom: Government of Ireland Act 1886
Screenshot 2021-04-04 at 10.30.43.png

-----
Screenshot 2021-04-04 at 10.31.00.png

Just to confirm, are there any differences from the OTL Government of Ireland Act (1886)? Or is it exactly the same?
There are a couple of minor differences, reflecting Gladstone's lack of involvement:
  1. The OTL Bill was a lot more specific about what powers the devolved Irish Assembly would have, whereas the TTL Act specifies what remains within the British purview and hands over everything else to the Irish.
  2. OTL the First Order could only delay bills, TTL a bill has to pass by a majority in the Second Order and then by a majority of both Orders together. This allows the Aristocracy a lot of influence, in theory, although Parnell's IPP is going to dominate the Second Order so much he shouldn't have a problem.
  3. OTL the First Order would have had an elected component but this is done away with TTL - now it's just a fully hereditary body of 28 representative peers and the Lord Chancellor of Ireland. (If an Irish peer has an English/Scottish/British title they can choose to sit in the Lords in Westminster instead, in which case they may nominate someone to take their place in Dublin.)
A key similarity between OTL and TTL is that there was no special provision made for Ulster.

Last edited:
There are a couple of minor differences, reflecting Gladstone's lack of involvement:
  1. The OTL Bill was a lot more specific about what powers the devolved Irish Assembly would have, whereas the TTL Act specifies what remains within the British purview and hands over everything else to the Irish.
  2. OTL the First Order could only delay bills, TTL a bill has to pass by a majority in the Second Order and then by a majority of both Orders together. This allows the Aristocracy a lot of influence, in theory, although Parnell's IPP is going to dominate the Second Order so much he shouldn't have a problem.
  3. OTL the First Order would have had an elected component but this is done away with TTL - now it's just a fully hereditary body of 135 peers and the Lord Chancellor of Ireland. (If an Irish peer has an English/Scottish/British title they can choose to sit in the Lords in Westminster instead, in which case they may nominate someone to take their place in Dublin.)
A key similarity between OTL and TTL is that there was no special provision made for Ulster.
Thanks.

Given this was more of a collaboration, instead of Gladstone just going "its my way or the high way", that the Liberal Unionists don't split from the Liberals ITTL (or, at least, not in anywhere like the same number).

I also expect there to be some kind of Ulster-based alliance of unionist Liberals and Tories to form pretty quickly, eventually merging together into a new party.

Thanks.

Given this was more of a collaboration, instead of Gladstone just going "its my way or the high way", that the Liberal Unionists don't split from the Liberals ITTL (or, at least, not in anywhere like the same number).

I also expect there to be some kind of Ulster-based alliance of unionist Liberals and Tories to form pretty quickly, eventually merging together into a new party.
What OTL became the Liberal Unionists and the Ulster Tories will TTL become a major part of the Irish Loyal and Patriotic Union, which will be the main centre-right to right wing party in Ireland for the next few decades.

You’re right that the Unionists don’t split as OTL, mainly because, once the Act is passed, Ireland will drift out of British domestic politics for a while. TTL the Liberals will face pressure from an increasingly assertive radical wing but that’s obviously not the same as the OTL Unionists.

A couple of minor retcons to this list of largest economies, reflecting some slight fiddling with borders and flags but nothing major. The biggest changes are a slight revision downwards in US GDP (also moving its capital back to DC to avoid accusations that I copied Our Fair Country) and an increase in Argentina's total area. As before, the amount given is in League of Nations Thaler, an international currency used to calculate GDP (PPP). It is issued by the World Bank (itself governed by the League of Nations) in Constantinople and acts as a global reserve currency. It is also legal tender in many countries (at a fixed exchange rate with the local currency) but only the World Bank can produce it.

This list should now be regarded as canon. (This also causes some inconsistencies with my list of sports leagues but I will get round to amending those at some point.)

Screenshot 2021-04-25 at 14.53.18.png
Screenshot 2021-04-25 at 14.53.45.png
Screenshot 2021-04-25 at 14.54.15.png

Last edited:
Is that TTLs version of the NCAA for the US basketball league? Also even with it being the federation I'm surprised Canada can hold 60 hockey teams.

With all of this in mind, I wonder what motorsports is like ITTL.
An interesting question. They're not really sports I follow closely so I might have to do more research before I respond in any more detail but I'd imagine the preeminent competitions will remain F1, MotoGP and NASCAR.

Is that TTLs version of the NCAA for the US basketball league? Also even with it being the federation I'm surprised Canada can hold 60 hockey teams.
More or less, in the sense that the structure will be roughly the same (i.e. several divisional competitions leading to a March Madness knockout competition). The big difference is that TTL's Division I is fully professional. The idea is that the college sports of the early 19th century evolved into club sides somewhere in the 1920s and '30s and accepted professionalism.

On the Stanley Cup, the idea I had was based on rugby league in Australia, with the idea being that there's a lot of smallish clubs which are nonetheless intensely supported (and benefits from foreign TV rights due to it being basically the only game in town when it comes to hockey). It's also worth remembering that the figure for revenue per team I gave is an average: a lot of the smaller teams in the Stanley Cup will, in practice, be semi-pro.

Last edited:
An interesting question. They're not really sports I follow closely so I might have to do more research before I respond in any more detail but I'd imagine the preeminent competitions will remain F1, MotoGP and NASCAR.

More or less, in the sense that the structure will be roughly the same (i.e. several divisional competitions leading to a March Madness knockout competition). The big difference is that TTL's Division I is fully professional. The idea is that the college sports of the early 19th century evolved into club sides somewhere in the 1920s and '30s and accepted professionalism.

On the Stanley Cup, the idea I had was based on rugby league in Australia, with the idea being that there's a lot of smallish clubs which are nonetheless intensely supported (and benefits from foreign TV rights due to it being basically the only game in town when it comes to hockey). It's also worth remembering that the figure for revenue per team I gave is an average: a lot of the smaller teams in the Stanley Cup will, in practice, be semi-pro.
On motor sports has the W circuit launched? If so i assume it might be in Danubia ITTL?

On motor sports has the W circuit launched? If so i assume it might be in Danubia ITTL?

With the usual caveat that I don't really have much interest in F1, I don't see why not. Danubia makes sense to me as a base too - it's kind of a romantic aristocratic paradise that I could see enjoying motor sports

Last edited:
Did the legitimists still support installing the Spanish branch of the Bourbons by this point?

Did the legitimists still support installing the Spanish branch of the Bourbons by this point?
Some of them (older and with very long memories) probably do but for the vast majority the Orleanists are the only game in town at this point.

Last edited:
IMHO, for Comte de Paris, is not right to use "Paris" as his surname. His surname was d'Orleans, and "Comte de Paris" is only his title as heir of the French throne.
That makes sense to me. I've made the change in the text but kept his title for the infobox because it reflects the British cultural hegemony of TTL's wikipedia equivalent.