The Forge of Weyland

I hear the sound of a plan coming to pieces. All right, the 1st Armoured is the best the Allies have and it was given the opportunity for a textbook battle, but that's another Panzer division wrecked and IV Crops is still in shape for the next round. If they can defeat 7th Panzer and push on to Dinant, then the Manstein Plan is basically kaput since a single remaining bridgehead is not going to support a major breakout even if 6th & 8th Panzer can defeat 7th Army. Which given that 7th Army has been reinforced by 2 full-strength DCRs, appears unlikely.

Sooty

Banned
Child abuse is no longer legal here - please wait patiently for the police
Child abuse has always been illegal just chastising a child has now been made illegal.
Just remind the child that the police take 30 minutes to get there.

i got a good chuckle out of the (no blackout) but then that's where i live and most folks don't understand how far away from the coast it is .But then that's why only the die hard nazi's had fences around them.nothing around for hundreds of miles
I remember reading a story about how some of the first POW's were offloaded in Halifax and shipped west on the train. They asked where they were and got told Nova Scotia...then at the next meal break....New Brunswick...and ended the day in Quebec. Next day when they asked where they were and got told Ontario they figured they were making good time...until they got told the next morning they were still in Ontario....

And after much discussion back and forth the realization came in that Canada was a really big country if you could travel more than a day in one province and that it would twice as long to capture as France.

Even today it's about 6 hours driving from the Manitoba border to Thunder Bay, Ontario...and another 14-16 hours depending on conditions and OPP on getting to Ottawa Ontario before entering Quebec.

Ah yes the land of open concept prison camps.Someone ran away last night?O well they'll be back soon,if the wildlife doesn't get them first.
The local camp here used to allow free passage from the camp as long as they were in uniform. So the POW's would get dressed up in uniform, sign out on parole for the day, and go watch a movie or go to church or shop before returning to the camp. I'm also 14 hours drive from the Pacific Ocean and about 10 hours from the US border so you could get away with less control compared to some camps.

Today the transCanada highway is on either side of the camp...but at that point it was a train stop and and a badly graveled road in the 1940's with the surrounding lands barely homesteaded.

I remember reading a story about how some of the first POW's were offloaded in Halifax and shipped west on the train. They asked where they were and got told Nova Scotia...then at the next meal break....New Brunswick...and ended the day in Quebec. Next day when they asked where they were and got told Ontario they figured they were making good time...until they got told the next morning they were still in Ontario....

And after much discussion back and forth the realization came in that Canada was a really big country if you could travel more than a day in one province and that it would twice as long to capture as France.

Even today it's about 6 hours driving from the Manitoba border to Thunder Bay, Ontario...and another 14-16 hours depending on conditions and OPP on getting to Ottawa Ontario before entering Quebec.
definitely risking a hefty fine if you make the run so fast

The local camp here used to allow free passage from the camp as long as they were in uniform. So the POW's would get dressed up in uniform, sign out on parole for the day, and go watch a movie or go to church or shop before returning to the camp. I'm also 14 hours drive from the Pacific Ocean and about 10 hours from the US border so you could get away with less control compared to some camps.

Today the transCanada highway is on either side of the camp...but at that point it was a train stop and and a badly graveled road in the 1940's with the surrounding lands barely homesteaded.
it certainly made things easier on all concerned when the diehard nazi's were isolated and kept locked up.

Driftless

Donor
A thousand years ago, in the days of my youth I made a trip from Wisconsin to Banff NP in Alberta. Somewhere west of Winnipeg, there was a flat straight stretch of highway where first you could see the top of a tall grain elevator waaaay off in the distance, You'd drive for some minutes before you'd see more of the elevator, and finally get to the small town where the elevator was located. Hey, pretty cool - curvature of the earth! Then as you left that town, before long, you'd see the next tip of the next elevator in the next town. And so on.

Canada is immense

A thousand years ago, in the days of my youth I made a trip from Wisconsin to Banff NP in Alberta. Somewhere west of Winnipeg, there was a flat straight stretch of highway where first you could see the top of a tall grain elevator waaaay off in the distance, You'd drive for some minutes before you'd see more of the elevator, and finally get to the small town where the elevator was located. Hey, pretty cool - curvature of the earth! Then as you left that town, before long, you'd see the next tip of the next elevator in the next town. And so on.

Canada is immense
and every few hundred miles they would put in a bend just to keep you awake.

They were lucky they weren't sent Downunder - where many, many, Italians were sent from the North Africa. Here, an American was once claiming how "big Texas is! You can get on a train and still be travelling on it the next and still not left Texas!" The Australian farmer listening just said, "Yeah, we got trains that slow here as well!"

Australia is as big as Canada with less population. It is, once you leave the SE corner, largely arid, with water holes few and far between and rivers even less available. Most Italians realised they were a long, long way from home and were used to work on the farms that were vacated by the men to fight them and their Axis partners. We don't have just dangerous wildlife, we have 8 out of the 10 most venomous snakes, three of the most venomous spiders, venomous octopi and shell fish and big, big, nasty sharks and long, long, kilometres of empty arid landscape to cross to get anywhere. Australia was well chosen as a prison when it was started. :) :)