WI/PC: Elisabeth of Bayreuth as Queen of Denmark?

The Elisabeth of Bayreuth of the title is the niece of Friedrich the Great and OTL duchess of Württemberg). I ask this because her wikipedia article says that the king of Denmark was also a suitor for her hand at the time of her OTL marriage (1748).

In 1748, the king of Denmark was Frederik V, who had ascended in 1746. Frederik was married to Louisa of Great Britain from 1743 until 1751. Frederik's mother outlived his father, and his eldest surviving son was born in 1749 (16 years younger than Elisabeth). Frederik had no brothers and no male-line uncles. So why would the Danish king have been a suitor?

@Jürgen @Archduke @Bastiram @Milites @Zulfurium
@Zillian
@anyone else

Last edited:
Don't you mean the sister of Friedrich the Great? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Elisabeth_Friederike_Sophie_of_Brandenburg-Bayreuth

I think that has to be a mistake of some sort. It doesn't fit and there aren't any alternate Danish candidates who make sense. It is weird because it is mentioned in all of her wiki pages, but there is nothing about it under Frederik V. One thing I considered for a bit was that there might have been a gap between their marriage by proxy and the actual marriage, but no - it was all done and dusted by late 1743. Maybe she was a candidate when Frederik was considering matches prior to Louisa in 1742-43? Only solution I can think of to the problem.

Friedrich's sister, Wilhelmine, was Elisabeth's mom.
I think that has to be a mistake of some sort. It doesn't fit and there aren't any alternate Danish candidates who make sense. It is weird because it is mentioned in all of her wiki pages, but there is nothing about it under Frederik V. One thing I considered for a bit was that there might have been a gap between their marriage by proxy and the actual marriage, but no - it was all done and dusted by late 1743. Maybe she was a candidate when Frederik was considering matches prior to Louisa in 1742-43? Only solution I can think of to the problem.
I hadn't considered the pre-Louisa possibility, but I thought with Juliane Maria being chosen as a Prussian proxy OTL, Elisabeth would've been considered in the same light. Until I realized Freddie was still married at the time Elisabeth's single.

Friedrich's sister, Wilhelmine, was Elisabeth's mom.

I hadn't considered the pre-Louisa possibility, but I thought with Juliane Maria being chosen as a Prussian proxy OTL, Elisabeth would've been considered in the same light. Until I realized Freddie was still married at the time Elisabeth's single.
Bahh, my bad :p

Thats the thing, her period of eligibility falls almost entirely during his marriage and by the time his wife has died she is already three years married. That only leaves pre-Louisa.

So, my question is this, what if Elisabeth DID wind up as queen of Denmark (say her marriage to the duke of Württemberg falls through for whatever reason so that by 1751, she's still single.

Admittedly, this is one of those minor events that can have massive effects. Another bride considered for the duke of Württemberg was one of Maria Theresia's daughters. And it butterflies the entire future of the Russian dynasty (since if her dad isn't likely to inherit, Sophie Dorothea is unlikely to wind up as empress of Russia), Austria (Elisabeth Wilhelmine of Württemberg is unlikely to be considered for Franz II's first wife); and OBVIOUSLY, Denmark, where things spiralled towards a succession crisis in the generation immediately after Frederik V.

What would the effects of Elisabeth of Bayreuth becoming queen of Denmark be?

Would Elisabeth be able to have kids to shore up the Danish succession TTL? Or was there a reason I'm missing for why Juliane of Brunswick only had one kid?

Would Elisabeth be able to have kids to shore up the Danish succession TTL? Or was there a reason I'm missing for why Juliane of Brunswick only had one kid?
AFAIK there wasn't anything wrong with Juliane Marie's fertility, but it's possible that Frederick V preferred Louise and her milder and more pleasant personality, which could have persuaded him to leave his mistresses and whores and do his royal duties more often than Juliane Marie managed to. It might also have been because Frederick was so drunk all the time at this point that it damaged his fertility. His last illegitimate child was also born before the birth of his son with Juliane Marie. It might also just have been bad luck, really.