Supposing Edward VI of England survives to his late 70s, what does his reign look like?

If he is to marry a Catholic, then either:

It must be agreed that she will convert to Protestantism before the wedding. I can't see that happening with Elisabeth de Valois.

Or:

It must be agreed that she may continue to practice Catholicism in private - with a personal confessor, etc. This was the condition of Charles I's marriage to Henriette Marie of France, who brought twelve Oratorian priests in her personal entourage. I can't see Edward agreeing to anything like that.

So IMO he won't marry Elisabeth.

OTOH, he might marry MQoS without requiring explicit conversion in advance, if he can restrict her household to Protestants and prevent her from practicing Catholicism. This might be possible if he seizes control of Scotland (say with the support of the Scots Protestant faction). MQoS might be bullied that far, while Edward may believe (as suggested) that he can persuade her over time.

WRT MQoS's first husband Francis II: AIUI, his health problems were congenital, thus would not be affected by Edward's survival.
The French match is way too much prestigious for renouncing to it, and Edward can very well leave the religious question unresolved, hoping to persuade Elisabeth to convert after the wedding. If the French wedding fail over the religious question and Marie Stuart became available, then annexing Scotland is too much important for caring too much for her religion, so is likely who in both cases Edward will try to persuade his wife to convert while raising their children as protestants.

The French match is way too much prestigious for renouncing to it, and Edward can very well leave the religious question unresolved, hoping to persuade Elisabeth to convert after the wedding. If the French wedding fail over the religious question and Marie Stuart became available, then annexing Scotland is too much important for caring too much for her religion, so is likely who in both cases Edward will try to persuade his wife to convert while raising their children as protestants.
I am with you on this Isabella - the French match restores some of the Tudor dignity destroyed by Henry VIII marital adventures - Henri II of France was perfectly willing to ignore the religious question despite the Pope's fury - and whatever anyone thinks power and prestige tended to trump religious questions.
Also its worth remembering in this scenario England will not be entering the Franco Spanish war of 1551 to 59 as it did in otl losing Calais in the process - so Henri will be looking for allies in his fight with Philip - again more important than the intended bridegrooms heretical religion.

If you have a long drawn out negotiations that don't reach a climax before Henri II's death (if we assume he dies on schedule) then it might well fall apart under Francis II (the arch Catholic Guises being less willing to permit it and they did dominate the young King and his wife) - however its also likely if they are still arguing over the details by then that Edward himself may look else where but he is still going to want a match that is of high rank in my view. Mary only comes into play if Edward is still single (or only betrothed) at Francis II's death in December 1560 - Mary being less ardently Catholic would jump at the chance of swapping her French crown for the English one - she probably be on the first boat over the channel.

On your earlier comment reference a Hapsburg match i agree that its unlikely - i was merely pointing out high rank alternatives.

If Edward lives longer, there is nothing stoping him from convertion. He is the only living legal son of previous monarch, and there is not much anyone can do with it. So some kind of compromise is possible. After all, we don't have here the rule of Blood Mary, and while Edward had some form of inspiration with calvinism, but that was just
youthful fascination - and result of Somerset's manipluation. Once Lord Protector will loose his rulers sympathy, a lot can change - especially since Somerset technically ignored will of king Henry VIII. Also, I doubt any monarch would tolerate radicals like Puritans, since they are direct threat to his rule.

VVD0D95

Banned
If Edward lives longer, there is nothing stoping him from convertion. He is the only living legal son of previous monarch, and there is not much anyone can do with it. So some kind of compromise is possible. After all, we don't have here the rule of Blood Mary, and while Edward had some form of inspiration with calvinism, but that was just
youthful fascination - and result of Somerset's manipluation. Once Lord Protector will loose his rulers sympathy, a lot can change - especially since Somerset technically ignored will of king Henry VIII. Also, I doubt any monarch would tolerate radicals like Puritans, since they are direct threat to his rule.

Somerset was long dead by the time Ned approached his majority.

Somerset was long dead by the time Ned approached his majority.
I highly doubt that Edward's evangelical leanings were the result of only 'youthful fascination' and they certainly didn't come just from Somerset. Also @VVD0D95 is right, Somerset would be long dead by the time that Edward assumes personal control of the government and yet I still think he would push england towards evangelism.

VVD0D95

Banned
I highly doubt that Edward's evangelical leanings were the result of only 'youthful fascination' and they certainly didn't come just from Somerset. Also @VVD0D95 is right, Somerset would be long dead by the time that Edward assumes personal control of the government and yet I still think he would push england towards evangelism.

Something similar to Henry Frederick perhaps? A leaning toward the low church but a respect for Bishops? Or even more Calvinistic?

Something similar to Henry Frederick perhaps? A leaning toward the low church but a respect for Bishops? Or even more Calvinistic?
I think Edward would have a hard time getting rid of bishops, given that nearly half the population of England was catholic or at least weary of ongoing reform. He might be more successful with attempts to whitewash churches and maybe even removing music from services.

VVD0D95

Banned
I think Edward would have a hard time getting rid of bishops, given that nearly half the population of England was catholic or at least weary of ongoing reform. He might be more successful with attempts to whitewash churches and maybe even removing music from services.
Alright interesting and awe, the removal of music will be sad, they were always the best part of school church service 😛

Think that's probably where his character comes in - he was no mealy mouthed boy - he was apparently prone to temper if he did not get his own way and was showing himself to be as ruthless as his father with those that ignored the royal will. Quite frankly had he lived I suspect he would have been far more brutal with those of his subjects who continued to maintain the outward signs of Catholicism - instead of Bloody Mary it might well be Bloody Edward!

With no Marry and her controversial rule, english society would be too conservative for it. After all, each attempt to do it later had failed, and it was "after Marry" - here Edward rules after his father, Henry VIII - thed guy that had to "buy" loyalty to his "new" church for the rest of his life.

But still - it's gonna take some time for Edward to start his personal rule - after all it's not like as soon as he will turn 18, he will start to do everything by himself. At first, we have to think about "the 50's" - without succesion crisis started with Edward's death in 1553, the situation in England is completly different.

Since royal children were raised by governesses and tutors, often far away from their parents, the religion of the mother would be of little consequence to the faith in which their children would be raised, unless she can influence the choice of governesses and tutors, and I honestly don't see Edward VI accomodating the wishes of a wife who doesn't convert in this regard.

Since royal children were raised by governesses and tutors, often far away from their parents, the religion of the mother would be of little consequence to the faith in which their children would be raised, unless she can influence the choice of governesses and tutors, and I honestly don't see Edward VI accomodating the wishes of a wife who doesn't convert in this regard.
Exactly my point.