What would American iconography look like if the turkey was America's national bird?

While Benjamin Franklin never properly proposed the turkey as America's national bird, he was less than pleased with Congress's choice of selecting the bald eagle, saying to his daughter

"For my own part I wish the Bald Eagle had not been chosen the Representative of our Country. He is a Bird of bad moral Character. He does not get his Living honestly. You may have seen him perched on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him. You may have seen him perched on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him.

“With all this Injustice, he is never in good Case but like those among Men who live by Sharping & Robbing he is generally poor and often very lousy. Besides he is a rank Coward: The little King Bird not bigger than a Sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the District. He is therefore by no means a proper Emblem for the brave and honest Cincinnati of America who have driven all the King birds from our Country…

“I am on this account not displeased that the Figure is not known as a Bald Eagle, but looks more like a Turkey. For the Truth the Turkey is in Comparison a much more respectable Bird, and withal a true original Native of America… He is besides, though a little vain & silly, a Bird of Courage, and would not hesitate to attack a Grenadier of the British Guards who should presume to invade his Farm Yard with a red Coat on.”

So, what could American iconography (posters, cartoons, etc) look like if the turkey was made America's national bird? Would it look much different from OTL?

While Benjamin Franklin never properly proposed the turkey as America's national bird, he was less than pleased with Congress's choice of selecting the bald eagle, saying to his daughter

So, what could American iconography (posters, cartoons, etc) look like if the turkey was made America's national bird? Would it look much different from OTL?
IIRC part of the reason the bald eagle was chosen was because they wanted the "legitimacy" of the goldene agle (symbol of Alexander, the Roman, Byxantine and Holy Roman and Russian Empires) but without the "connection" to the ideas of despotism and tyranny associated with those ideals. Its similar to Napoléon wanting a pre-Capetian symbol for France and settling on the bees instead of the suggested rooster

The idea of the national bird being a turkey was obviously tongue-in-cheek and never would have been seriously considered. It would be much more likely for there to not be a bird at all.

Popular symbols in the USA's early history were the unfinished pyramid, the Eye of Providence, and the Phrygian cap. However, the perceived need for a national animal that represents strength would become more necessary as we get into the era of mass-produced print in the latter 19th century.

If not the Bald Eagle, I think the American bison would be a suitable national animal, and perhaps its status would lead to more efforts to protect it.

The rattlesnake was a popular early animal to represent America, as seen most famously in ole' B Frank's "Join, or Die" cartoon.

It was popular because rattlesnakes were known to be peaceful and preferred to be left alone but would strike fast and hard if attacked (true of them, actually), and the colonists, of course, extrapolated that to Big Momma Britain pushing them around. I'm sure had it stayed anti-American cartoonists would've inevitably portray it as a much more poisonous/venomous, in the literal and metaphorical sense, animal as well. Assuming all OTL happened but the national animal symbolism you can even have modern-day America vs China cartoons with the Snake and the (East Asian) Dragon trying to wrap around the other in stylishly-drawn pieces! :p

I kinda wish it was the national animal if only to stand out amongst all the birds and beefy mammals out there.

Last edited:

Deleted member 114175

Turkey tail feather roundels, turkey tail feather roundels everywhere.

The rattlesnake was a popular early animal to represent America, as seen most famously in ole' B Frank's "Join, or Die" cartoon.

It was popular because rattlesnakes were known to be peaceful and preferred to be left alone but would strike fast and hard if attacked (true of them, actually), and the colonists, of course, extrapolated that to Big Momma Britain pushing them around. I'm sure had it stayed anti-American cartoonists would've inevitably portray it as a much more poisonous/venomous, in the literal and metaphorical sense, animal as well. Assuming all OTL happened but the national animal symbolism you can even have modern-day America vs China cartoons with the Snake and the (East Asian) Dragon trying to wrap around the other in stylishly-drawn pieces! :p

I kinda wish it was the national animal if only to stand out amongst all the birds and beefy mammals out there.
And the Gadsden Flag would be non-ruined (how that historical symbolism has been tarnished).

Last edited by a moderator: